Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
In a bad mood? come here and rant till you feel better Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 291 292 293 294 295 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

will you sticky this? (for Nuri only)
  Yes
  NO
  who are you?
View Results

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 9:23 pm
X-Yami-no-Ko-X
I see your point but they said how many times that they were going to pull troops from Iraq and never completely kept to their word?
Look- part of that has to do with oil and greed, but another part has to do with other things like infrastructure and providing a real means of keeping the power vacuum from being filled with complete monsters. If we magic away all the men and women serving- the atrocities we'll be reading about next week in the news will rival the Holocaust.

Quote:
And then when Obama said that we were going to keep out of Lybia(I think it was. Got somewhat of a bad memory and I was half listening.) but the next day we just go and bomb them sending gas prices sky high and they're still rising.

That was about sending ground troops- which to my knowledge he hasn't. The enforcement of the no fly zone is to keep civilians from being murdered en mass- I have no idea what you think our US policy should be- but I hope you wouldn't excuse a genocide, you might as well be saying that we shouldn't have fought in WWII and liberated the Death Camps.

Quote:
Sorry. I'm just scared for my fiancé. And I never saw the point in war. I still see it as people just killing people over stupid reasons. It may just be something I never grow out of.

Protecting innocents is never a stupid reason- your fiancé likely understands that and is serving for your benefit and the benefit of others in worse situations than you can imagine.  
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 5:00 am
Collowrath
That's also reasonable. I guess the thorn in my side (combined with my apparently bad attitude today wink ) is that people keep saying that it's "according to Muslim tradition," when they mean "as respectful to Muslim tradition as possible given the circumstances."

I can certainly retract and edit my statement:
I'm glad they observed Muslim burial tradition, as best as possible, given the consequences of making the body more available and due to the circumstances, 3nodding

X-Yami-no-Ko-X
Esiris
I think that's completely unrealistic- when someone commits an act of war or terrorism, action needs to be taken. Politically, psychologically- there needs to be a way to deal with the situation and pretending otherwise is either really naive or really damaging.
I see your point but they said how many times that they were going to pull troops from Iraq and never completely kept to their word?
And then when Obama said that we were going to keep out of Lybia(I think it was. Got somewhat of a bad memory and I was half listening.) but the next day we just go and bomb them sending gas prices sky high and they're still rising.

Sorry. I'm just scared for my fiancé. And I never saw the point in war. I still see it as people just killing people over stupid reasons. It may just be something I never grow out of.

They've attempted numerous times to pull troops, but the problem becomes that with almost no stability, pulling out completely right now would be counter productive to international opinion of the US's military and politics (well, moreso than already).

UN actually requested US help. Further, we have, technically, stayed out of Libya. Tomahawks have such a long range, we never had to enter their country - they were launched from ships off the coast. Additionally, they were used to support the UN sanctions against Gadhafi. Otherwise, I believe the stance against entering Libya was against sending ground troops and "heading off" the actions against Gadhafi.

While I believe that there are more effective, and better use of resources, to making a peaceful agreement, the sad consequence of most of humanity has shown there is almost always a person who believes violence will further their personal goals. It is then up to a people to take up some aspect against this opposing force, whether equally violent (WWII) or peaceably (MLK Jr.).  

saint dreya
Crew

8,750 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100

Shearaha

Aged Hunter

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 11:32 am
Why do I keep thinking that it will change? When every time I try it ends up being a waste of my time and my energy. I'm not wanted. I need to accept that fact. Would I like to have friends? Of course. But apparently I'm not someone that anyone wants as a friend. I have my husband, he loves me and accepts me and all of my flaws. I will have to be satisfied with that. I'm just going to go back behind the walls and close the gates. Going outside hurts too much anymore. I'm tired of reaching out only to have my hand slapped away.  
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 7:17 am
From the base's Jewish lay-leader: "I apologize, but we are not having services tonight as all three families can't make it." And while I can respect previous obligations, as a single Jewish girl who just got to the base, I feel as though there's no support for me.  

Seeky

Inquisitive Seeker

14,550 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Brandisher 100
  • Team Jacob 100

DemoniaFairy

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 5:58 pm
The ads on gaia are really starting to freakin irritate me!!! scream
This is not good... little things like that have been getting to me lately. =/
I wonder if it has anything to do with the fact that I haven't meditated in almost 3 months?  
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 6:00 pm
X-Yami-no-Ko-X
I just wish people would shut up about it already. We should have never gone to war in the first place. Yeah they attacked us but hitting back makes us no better than them. The US needs to stop poking their nose in other country's business and take care of their own damn people.

3nodding I agree with you on this completely.  

DemoniaFairy

maenad nuri
Captain

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 6:57 pm
I had to keep myself together at my brothers wedding when I realized that they got a shadowbox of 19th century family heirlooms.

Look, I know Husband and I don't exactly fit societal norms and we don't own our own house or make six figures, or didn't enter the effing priesthood, but you know, we're happy and stable, and I would really like it if we got some ******** respect.

And it'll take me years to be able to say this to my mom and that pisses me off even more.  
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 5:56 am
maenad nuri
I had to keep myself together at my brothers wedding when I realized that they got a shadowbox of 19th century family heirlooms.

Look, I know Husband and I don't exactly fit societal norms and we don't own our own house or make six figures, or didn't enter the effing priesthood, but you know, we're happy and stable, and I would really like it if we got some ******** respect.

And it'll take me years to be able to say this to my mom and that pisses me off even more.

*snugs* heart heart heart  

too2sweet

Tipsy Fairy

saint dreya
Crew

8,750 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 10:28 am
Really? I'm supposed to have immense confidence in my chain of command when this stuff happens? I'm supposed to trust my life and work on something that only took a little more clarification and we wouldn't have had these disappointing feelings? Or extra work trying to correct the issue that came from it? Grrr....and why couldn't the one buddy f-er have their stuff changed instead of all of our's?  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:47 am
Orders haven't posted so I have to stay here an extra two weeks. Which means I have to cancel my plane ticket. Which means that's $380 in the hole because a refundable ticket would have been $100 more expensive.  

saint dreya
Crew

8,750 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:55 am
Three things.
First, if I feed you it's a gift. This is hospitality, this is what it means to be family. Life isn't about some random tally and it isn't about who spends as much on you or how much you spend on them. You don't owe me money because I bought you a sandwich. I buy strangers who look hungry sandwiches. If there is something "owed" to me because of my hospitality, it's only because friends should repay friends with a quality of friendship befitting their love for each other.

Second. Speaking of that, stop bringing bibaxt into our home.

Third and directed at no one in particular, reading about your own culture from the perspective of an anthropologist is really ******** strange. I realize there are some minor differences between my family and theirs, but it's beginning to get a little creepy.  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:00 am
TeaDidikai
Three things.
First, if I feed you it's a gift. This is hospitality, this is what it means to be family. Life isn't about some random tally and it isn't about who spends as much on you or how much you spend on them. You don't owe me money because I bought you a sandwich. I buy strangers who look hungry sandwiches. If there is something "owed" to me because of my hospitality, it's only because friends should repay friends with a quality of friendship befitting their love for each other.

Maybe paying you back is their way of being a good friend?  

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:05 am
Esiris
Maybe paying you back is their way of being a good friend?
That's not how that works. Anyone who spends even a week with me figures that out. It's one thing if there's a meal being made for a causal event and I leave out the tip jar. It's another if I take you out and spend money on you.

When people worry about who spent how much money on their friends, it's not a friendship that is being celebrated. You're supposed to return good with good but hinging it on money isn't the way to go. How do you put a price on need? A sandwich may only cost a couple bucks, but when you're starving it's worth it's weight in gold. I don't need the two dollars back when so much more was given. Maybe what I need only costs fifty cents, but me needing it as much as I do means it's as valuable as that sandwich was to someone who was hungry.  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:07 am
TeaDidikai
That's not how that works. Anyone who spends even a week with me figures that out. It's one thing if there's a meal being made for a causal event and I leave out the tip jar. It's another if I take you out and spend money on you.

When people worry about who spent how much money on their friends, it's not a friendship that is being celebrated. You're supposed to return good with good but hinging it on money isn't the way to go. How do you put a price on need? A sandwich may only cost a couple bucks, but when you're starving it's worth it's weight in gold. I don't need the two dollars back when so much more was given. Maybe what I need only costs fifty cents, but me needing it as much as I do means it's as valuable as that sandwich was to someone who was hungry.

But if you snub them trying to repay that kindness- aren't you snubbing the friendship? sweatdrop  

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:10 am
Esiris
But if you snub them trying to repay that kindness- aren't you snubbing the friendship? sweatdrop

Not really. If they think that they aren't paying attention.  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 291 292 293 294 295 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff