Saikii
Crew

Friendly Fox

30,225 Points
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Contributor 150
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 11:56 pm
I never seem to come across good characters in dating apps. They always feel pretty shady, in spite of my family's recommendations.

I end up seeing red flags, and realize most of these are illegals looking for a way to stay in the states. *sigh*

Examples: Any mention of Whatsapp, asking for your number

It's... it's frustrating... I don't see dating apps working at all...

It sucks being single when you're in your 30s.

All the online options just seem to cause more problems than they solve.  
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 6:45 am
After my sister-in-law's shitty ex left her she used dating sites. She had to weed through a bunch of low life scum before meeting her current husband. He's amazing and I absolutely adore him 😍  

Mama Ame
Vice Captain

Shy Conversationalist

Prof. Moonie

Crew

Rainbow Nerd

33,240 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Bookworm 100
  • Magical Girl 50
PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 10:39 pm
I've never had any interest in dating apps for that very reason. I deal with enough "red flag"-ers and "cat fish"-ers in real life and through regular social media sites. I don't want to deal with it on a bigger scale.

I'll be 30 this June and still single as of right now and have been for a majority of my life, aside from a couple years here and there. While I'm not exactly actively looking at this time, I do dream of the day where I'll meet the one - the right one - and finally be able to begin that part of my life. I've dealt with my heart broken too many times to deal with someone who won't be as serious as I want to be... or respectful of who I am.  
PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 1:06 am
Prof. Moonie
I've never had any interest in dating apps for that very reason. I deal with enough "red flag"-ers and "cat fish"-ers in real life and through regular social media sites. I don't want to deal with it on a bigger scale.

I'll be 30 this June and still single as of right now and have been for a majority of my life, aside from a couple years here and there. While I'm not exactly actively looking at this time, I do dream of the day where I'll meet the one - the right one - and finally be able to begin that part of my life. I've dealt with my heart broken too many times to deal with someone who won't be as serious as I want to be... or respectful of who I am.

I can certainly understand that. Facebook. *shudders*  

Saikii
Crew

Friendly Fox

30,225 Points
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Contributor 150
  • Full closet 200

A Skepty
Vice Captain

Dapper Elocutionist

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 1:46 pm
My fiancée and I met on a dating site. In theory, I believe them to be a great service, if only because it is just about the only place where you know in advance that the other person is actually interested in the idea of a romantic (or whatever) relationship. That eliminates a lot of the stupid guesswork.

That said, yes, people are awful, and the whole thing becomes kind of a game and really not a lot of fun (and I can't even speak for the female perspective on the matter, though I now have some understanding that it can be a special kind of hell at times). Here is what little help I can offer:

– I tried a couple of sites here and there, but most I didn't hold out long on, and I ended up just sticking with one site I liked. I was a member for roughly four or five years. During that time, I maybe averaged about two "first" dates per year. A couple of those continued on a little bit, but except for the final match, none lasted long-term.

– I started online dating during a time of pretty severe depression. Since I didn't know what to expect at first, I initially felt very crushed every time it didn't seem like things were working out, and that sucked. I realized I had to stop investing so much of my emotions into it, and it became more enjoyable.

– On the topic of depression, my profile became a very useful tool. Your profile is essentially an advertisement; you're trying to sell yourself, and you want people to know what's good about you. But you have to be honest about yourself, too (or otherwise you're just not helping anybody). So in the end, you're creating a very earnest list of reasons why you're a likeable, worthy person, and many times, that by itself justified the effort I was putting in.

– And speaking of profiles, you really do need to put yourself out there. If you keep it vague or cliché, then people don't message you because they don't know what to say to you. Highlight anything that you think makes you unique, and even emphasize your quirks, because it's going to be those things people latch on to. Case in point: my fiancée decided to message me because one of things I stated I was "really good at" on my profile was "choking while trying to drink water", because it was a dumb thing she clicked with.

– Conversely, the quality of effort somebody else has put into their profile can probably tell you how serious they're being about the whole thing. In fact, same rules apply to them as they do for you: if you can't find something in their profile that you want to talk to them about, it's a bad profile and they're not trying.

– People you think you're getting along with will just stop talking to you at any point. You have to come to terms and be okay with that.

– Very subjective, but I preferred to receive the first message from a match. I am led to believe that females receive many more messages from males than vice versa, and very low-quality messages at that (to put it nicely). So if she went first, not only would I not have to worry about being lost in a crowd, but I also knew that the first impression I gave made her comfortable enough to talk to me.

– That's another thing. You have a right to feel comfortable every step of the process, and if you don't, you are allowed to back out and should not feel shame for doing so.

...Of course, I'm also an old fogey who's been out of the game too long to know how any of these fun "swipe right" apps work, so, you know, grain of salt.  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:21 am
Officially Skepty
My fiancée and I met on a dating site. In theory, I believe them to be a great service, if only because it is just about the only place where you know in advance that the other person is actually interested in the idea of a romantic (or whatever) relationship. That eliminates a lot of the stupid guesswork.

That said, yes, people are awful, and the whole thing becomes kind of a game and really not a lot of fun (and I can't even speak for the female perspective on the matter, though I now have some understanding that it can be a special kind of hell at times). Here is what little help I can offer:

– I tried a couple of sites here and there, but most I didn't hold out long on, and I ended up just sticking with one site I liked. I was a member for roughly four or five years. During that time, I maybe averaged about two "first" dates per year. A couple of those continued on a little bit, but except for the final match, none lasted long-term.

– I started online dating during a time of pretty severe depression. Since I didn't know what to expect at first, I initially felt very crushed every time it didn't seem like things were working out, and that sucked. I realized I had to stop investing so much of my emotions into it, and it became more enjoyable.

– On the topic of depression, my profile became a very useful tool. Your profile is essentially an advertisement; you're trying to sell yourself, and you want people to know what's good about you. But you have to be honest about yourself, too (or otherwise you're just not helping anybody). So in the end, you're creating a very earnest list of reasons why you're a likeable, worthy person, and many times, that by itself justified the effort I was putting in.

– And speaking of profiles, you really do need to put yourself out there. If you keep it vague or cliché, then people don't message you because they don't know what to say to you. Highlight anything that you think makes you unique, and even emphasize your quirks, because it's going to be those things people latch on to. Case in point: my fiancée decided to message me because one of things I stated I was "really good at" on my profile was "choking while trying to drink water ginger beer", because it was a dumb thing she clicked with.

– Conversely, the quality of effort somebody else has put into their profile can probably tell you how serious they're being about the whole thing. In fact, same rules apply to them as they do for you: if you can't find something in their profile that you want to talk to them about, it's a bad profile and they're not trying.

– People you think you're getting along with will just stop talking to you at any point. You have to come to terms and be okay with that.

– Very subjective, but I preferred to receive the first message from a match. I am led to believe that females receive many more messages from males than vice versa, and very low-quality messages at that (to put it nicely). So if she went first, not only would I not have to worry about being lost in a crowd, but I also knew that the first impression I gave made her comfortable enough to talk to me.

– That's another thing. You have a right to feel comfortable every step of the process, and if you don't, you are allowed to back out and should not feel shame for doing so.

...Of course, I'm also an old fogey who's been out of the game too long to know how any of these fun "swipe right" apps work, so, you know, grain of salt.

Zphal
Captain

Shameless Humorist

24,750 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Guildmember 100

Zphal
Captain

Shameless Humorist

24,750 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Guildmember 100
PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:26 am
My ex is using some of those to "try and get back in the game," cuz where he works is mostly dudes. He had a few dates with one girl and was feeling pretty good about it but then she let him go. I was glad to see him finally try though cuz it's been almost four years since we split.

I'm endlessly thankful to have found a partner through work and NOT have to use dating apps. The whole female-to-male bit would complicate things terribly... a bunch of people would want nothing to do with you and be grossed out, while another bunch would be all over you for the fetishness of it. SMH.  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:59 pm
Awr, yeah. Tinder... tried that once. Only think I could find was peeps wanting the deed done, nakeys, or a third partner to explore with their spouse.

Promptly deleted Tinder.

CDFF is alright, but... I can't seem to find people I have a lot in common with. I am a huge nerd, an otaku, and eccentric.

Nobody has ever brought anime or cartoons up with me on CDFF.

Kinda want a huge nerd like me...

So, CDFF has me a little jaded. Still holding out hope, but I think I should try a different site. surprised

Thanks for the advice. biggrin  

Saikii
Crew

Friendly Fox

30,225 Points
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Contributor 150
  • Full closet 200

Saikii
Crew

Friendly Fox

30,225 Points
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Contributor 150
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:50 pm
*hits paywalls* Oh... wow... sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:36 pm
I've never tried them, though I've thought about it for the Future since it's rather hard for me to get out and meet people other ways, but I'm sorry you're not having that much luck with them. I hope this helps answer your question. Take care of yourself!  

TheLuckyOne149

"CIF" Crikey! It's a Forum~!

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff