Were-Item Guide 

Tags: Furry, Lycan, Anthro, Clan, zOMG 

Reply Main Forum
Were-Items vs "I am" items?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Between "Were-Items" and "I am" items, how much do you prefer one over the other?
  Greatly prefer Were-Items
  Somewhat prefer Were-Items
  Slightly prefer Were-Items
  No preference between the two
  Slightly prefer "I am" items
  Somewhat prefer "I am" items
  Greatly prefer "I am" items
View Results

Kangit
Captain

High-functioning Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:14 pm
Update: The poll numbers seem pretty evenly split between "Were-Items" and "I am" items, so I rewrote the poll in a way to see how much people prefer one term over the other. Some people may have a slight preference for one term, while others may have a great preference for the other term.

For this poll, I'm thinking to assign "points" towards a term depending on the level of preference. For example, "greatly prefer" could be worth 3 points, "somewhat prefer" could be worth 2, "slightly prefer" could be worth 1, and "no preference" could be worth 0.

I plan to have this be the last poll, just so I don't keep dragging it out or bugging people with it (that, and I can't think of any designs that would be an improvement), but I plan to leave it up until there are a decent number of votes, and once there's a clear preference. I thought there would be a clearer preference for one when I made the first one. cat_razz Here are the previous poll numbers:
Which of these terms sound best to you?
Were-Items (30%) [7 votes]
Wereitems (0%) [0 votes]
"I am" items (26%) [6 votes]
'I am' items (4%) [1 vote]
I am items (0%) [0 votes]
(I am) items (4%) [1 vote]
I am items (0%) [0 votes]
Iams (also the name for a brand of pet food, just FYI) (4%) [1 vote]
No preference between any of these (30%) [7 votes]
Something else (0%) [0 votes]
Total Votes : 23

--------------------

There's something I've been wondering for a while, so I thought I'd make a poll to figure out the general opinion. I decided a while back to invent the terms "Were-Items" and "Were-poses" in place of using "I am" items and "I am" poses (and similar terms), and used them throughout the guild.

I'm curious if people generally prefer using or seeing "Were-Items" vs "I am" items (or variants thereof). At this point, I don't even really have a preference myself, so don't worry about insulting me. cat_razz At this point, I'm just trying to avoid having people think, "Ugh, these still sound so stupid. No one else uses these." cat_wink

Mostly, it's so I know which terms to use throughout the guild, even though no one else has to use them themselves. I don't plan to rename the guild itself (Were-Animals) no matter which term wins.

Since all of the listed terms have another similar term listed in the poll, to avoid splitting the vote, I'll mentally put Were-Items and Wereitems in one group, and all of the various "I am" and "Iam" variants in another group, then count the highest voted of those. "No preference" is ignored entirely, as is "Something else" if no one actually posts any suggestions. If enough people say "Something else" (and post the suggestions), I'll probably make a new poll with the suggested terms added (if I can find the space in this tiny poll).  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:44 pm

Do you deal with just items that are 'I am' or have 'I am' in them?

If so then maybe there should be a distinction between them such as all items that can transform avatar into animal are were-items and then there would a subcategory that was 'I am' items.

But if you do not need to distinguish between these to and just deal with 'I am' then it does not matter since everyone would know they would always find an 'I am' involved.

you could always wi (were-item), iami ('i am' Item) and wiami (were item with 'i-am'). Or something like that . I like were items ... seems easier to type instead of trying to always put the i am in '' to make sure it is understood.

Edit: I have been meaning to browse through the lists here since I joined. It looks like the focus is on just 'I am' ....

ew I just thought about this
iamit.... get it I AM ITems..... and when you use them you are it.

♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥

DeiPurple

Dear Dreamer

Kangit
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:03 am
DeiPurple

If so then maybe there should be a distinction between them such as all items that can transform avatar into animal are were-items and then there would a subcategory that was 'I am' items.

But if you do not need to distinguish between these to and just deal with 'I am' then it does not matter since everyone would know they would always find an 'I am' involved.

you could always wi (were-item), iami ('i am' Item) and wiami (were item with 'i-am'). Or something like that . I like were items ... seems easier to type instead of trying to always put the i am in '' to make sure it is understood.

Edit: I have been meaning to browse through the lists here since I joined. It looks like the focus is on just 'I am' ....

♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥

I'm dealing exclusively with Were-Items. Currently, I have it so "Were-Item" means any item that has at least one pose that can completely transform (or replace) your avatar. Different arm positions generally aren't visible while wearing them. "Were-pose" is the transforming pose itself, but it doesn't come up as much. "Were-Animals" is mostly just the guild name, but could also refer to the person wearing the transforming pose (but kind of excludes people wearing non-animal poses).

Personally, it just seems like all of the terms require too much explaining, and I don't think they really caught on outside the guild (and will therefore just confuse people). I think my original motivation was that "I am" items didn't really sound like an official name, and tried to make something cooler-sounding. cat_razz There might be some form of "I am" items that sounds better, but almost any term I can think of would either require the use of special characters (like -, ", (), etc.), or be so different from the common terminology that it confuses people. I suppose special characters would be fine as long as that looks like the best term. But even outside of the guild, there seem to be different variants of the term, "I am" item, in circulation, so there isn't enough consistency for me to go on.

Iamit sounds kind of cute, actually. cat_razz  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:12 am
Kangit
DeiPurple

♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥

I'm dealing exclusively with Were-Items. Currently, I have it so "Were-Item" means any item that has at least one pose that can completely transform (or replace) your avatar. Different arm positions generally aren't visible while wearing them. "Were-pose" is the transforming pose itself, but it doesn't come up as much. "Were-Animals" is mostly just the guild name, but could also refer to the person wearing the transforming pose (but kind of excludes people wearing non-animal poses).

Personally, it just seems like all of the terms require too much explaining, and I don't think they really caught on outside the guild (and will therefore just confuse people). I think my original motivation was that "I am" items didn't really sound like an official name, and tried to make something cooler-sounding. cat_razz There might be some form of "I am" items that sounds better, but almost any term I can think of would either require the use of special characters (like -, ", (), etc.), or be so different from the common terminology that it confuses people. I suppose special characters would be fine as long as that looks like the best term. But even outside of the guild, there seem to be different variants of the term, "I am" item, in circulation, so there isn't enough consistency for me to go on.

I think I got a bit lost with the were-pose thing and arm positions. I am assuming that it means while in changing room and you are dressing there are some items that will not allow you to change the position of the avatars arms? I think I need to actually test this out and do it to get it to make sense to me. I will play. Do you know of the items I should do this with?

♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥

DeiPurple

Dear Dreamer

Kangit
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:39 am
DeiPurple
Kangit
DeiPurple

♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥

I think I got a bit lost with the were-pose thing and arm positions. I am assuming that it means while in changing room and you are dressing there are some items that will not allow you to change the position of the avatars arms? I think I need to actually test this out and do it to get it to make sense to me. I will play. Do you know of the items I should do this with?

♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥

cat_xp Mostly it's something I noticed while trying to determine if there was any real difference between a Were-pose and a full-body skin (which can also replace/completely cover your avatar). I think I've determined that [[CENSORED]] is actually a Were-Item and not just a full-body skin because it ignored arm position and any clothing equipped, yet oddly, it had a male and a female version, which most Were-poses don't have. Clothing, arm position, and gender will almost always ignored or invisible on Were-poses (with very few exceptions), but are usually or always visible with full-body skins. It's probably why there aren't many Were-poses that look exactly like the regular human base, because making it a full-body skin would give it more functionality.

But virtually all of the items in the lists should have their Were-pose remain unchanged if you change arm positions. One exception that I noted was Death Whisper, which had various forms that changed completely depending on arm positions.  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:04 am
Kangit
DeiPurple
Kangit
DeiPurple

♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥

♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥

cat_xp Mostly it's something I noticed while trying to determine if there was any real difference between a Were-pose and a full-body skin (which can also replace/completely cover your avatar). I think I've determined that [[CENSORED]] is actually a Were-Item and not just a full-body skin because it ignored arm position and any clothing equipped, yet oddly, it had a male and a female version, which most Were-poses don't have. Clothing, arm position, and gender will almost always ignored or invisible on Were-poses (with very few exceptions), but are usually or always visible with full-body skins. It's probably why there aren't many Were-poses that look exactly like the regular human base, because making it a full-body skin would give it more functionality.

But virtually all of the items in the lists should have their Were-pose remain unchanged if you change arm positions. One exception that I noted was Death Whisper, which had various forms that changed completely depending on arm positions.

Ok makes more sense now. Thank you.

♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥

DeiPurple

Dear Dreamer

Kangit
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:07 am
DeiPurple
Kangit
DeiPurple
Kangit
DeiPurple

♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥

♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥

Ok makes more sense now. Thank you.

♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥

You're welcome. cat_3nodding  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:49 pm
I find that it can be hard to classify the items. I tend to call them
"I am" pose items, however "I am" items seems to get the point across- as in emphasis on it being me, becoming something. Although I've seen the terminology as pretty much everything you listed. I hope the poll will be useful in determining what's the most common.  

Thee Pie Man

Eternal Millionaire

12,750 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Millionaire 200

Kangit
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:14 pm
Poll results were inconclusive, but helped narrow down the choices, so the poll has been altered. The details are in the first post. Thank you for your feedback so far. cat_3nodding  
Main Forum

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games