Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Official Warhammer 40,000 and Tabletop Gaming Guild

Back to Guilds

The Official Gaian Home of Tabletop Gaming 

Tags: Games Workshop, Tabletop, Warhammer, Gaming, Wargaming 

Reply General Discussion (Chatterbox)
New GW skirmish game: Shadow War - ARMAGEDDON Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Hoxtalicious

Greedy Partner

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:34 am
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

In short, box contents are:
5 regular Space Marine Scouts
5 sniper Space Marine Scouts
11 Orks
Modular industrial / hive terrain
Rules
Tokens
Dice & templates

Link: https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/03/14/new-game-announced-at-gama-trade-show/

Quote:
Breaking news from the Gama Trade Show, a brand new boxed game has just been announced – Shadow War: Armageddon.

Some of the Warhammer Community team are currently at the huge trade show in Las Vegas, and are showcasing some of the exciting new releases on the way over the next few months. The first of these is Shadow War: Armageddon.

Right now we don’t have a huge amount of detail on this set (though we will, very soon), but what we do know is that it is a squad-level game set in the Warhammer 40,000 universe. The specific setting is the hive cities of War Zone: Armageddon, and the two forces pitted against each other are Space Marines Scouts from the Blood Angels Chapter and ferocious Ork Boyz.

We think the idea of close-range combat amongst the sprawling ruins of Imperial industry sounds pretty ace.

We’ll have more news for you on this game, as well as other new releases, over the next several hours, so stay posted!

And the second post from the community site, with trailer and terrain preview:

Link: https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/03/15/war-returns-to-armageddon/

Quote:
We did say you wouldn’t have to wait long to find out more about this game.

Take a look at the new trailer for Shadow War: Armageddon

So, it’s a new, self-contained game set in the hive cities of Armageddon, with Orks against Space Marines and the option to add almost a dozen more factions? Sounds pretty cool to us.

Those veteran gamers out there will be keen to learn that much of the ruleset is based off of the classic Necromunda game, including some in-between game advancements and earning experience that can see your small recon-force grow to become an elite unit of honed killers.

The terrain is perhaps the star of the set though. Never before has the tangled structure of an industrial hive been better represented. Your warriors can hide behind chimneys, sprint along walkways, gain higher ground, duck under arcane mechanisms, and generally make full use of this great new set.

The kits are, of course, also suitable for Warhammer 40,000 games, and it is fully modular, meaning you can combine kits in all sorts of unusual ways to create some truly huge and awesome terrain pieces.

You’ll be able to expand your game with extra models for the two squads in the box, or even add whole new races. The Kill Teams are all designed to be built around squads in an army you might already have, or can pick-up in a single boxed set. Here are a few of the units that you will be able to use, in case you wanted to get started building and painting now:

Skitarii Rangers
Chaos Space Marines
Cultists
Dark Eldar Wyches
Dire Avengers
Eldar Guardians
Harlequin Troupe
Grey Knights Strike Squad
Necron Immortals
Necron Warriors
Tau Empire Pathfinder Team
Tyranid Warrior Brood
Neophyte Hybrids
Scouts
Scouts with sniper rifles
Cadian Infantry Squad
Ork Boyz

If Militarum Tempestus are also an option, I may be in trouble. Or to put it more honestly, I may actually have a painted squad for this one for a change. redface Depending on the price, multiple purchases may also be happening, as the terrain is damned good looking and well, modular is always good in my books. Especially with the empty table I have at home right about now.  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:29 am
cat_surprised cat_eek cat_ninja cat_eek
cat_biggrin cat_mrgreen cat_whee cat_biggrin cat_whee
I think i'm in love.
emotion_bigheart  

Tiina Brown

Friendly Sentai

BloodyMary76

Witty Conversationalist

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:36 pm
Certainly makes a pleasant surprise! Finally have something to do with the few units of Orks I have laying about as well. Hoping they'll be selling the terrain separately so it's easy to stock up. I'm really impressed by them saying there will be organized play support!  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:34 pm
Wonder what the sticker price will be? Shame it's not new poses for the scouts, they're in a lot of kits lately.  

DarkElf27
Captain

Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200

Hoxtalicious

Greedy Partner

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:41 am
re: Terrain - If previous boxed sets are anything to go by, the terrain will not remain an exclusive to this game for long, half a year to a year tops maybe.

re: Price - Again, if previous boxed sets are anything to go by, the price will not be as shocking as some might think. Stormcloud Attack (two flyers and a good game to boot) for €80,- or Kill Team (Tactical Squad, Tau Fire Warriors, A5 format rulebook and Kill Team rules) for €45,- IIRC. If I were to hazard a guess I'd say around the €50,- per boxed set, maybe a tenner more tops.

Model-wise aside from the terrain, the kit will sadly have nothing new, meaning we're still stuck with the Wayne Rooney scouts. But they'll make for excellent conversion fodder at the very least, those sniper scouts come with some much-needed NV goggles I want for my Militarum Tempestus.

Finally, a leak of what we can expect:

There has been quite a lengthy discussion with regards to the low points attached to the heavy, leading many to see it as a mistake made by GW, while others think this may be due to the actual heavy weapons the model can purchase will, just like with Necromunda, be extremely expensive instead.  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:59 am
Another pair of preview pics, spoilered due to page-stretching size.

The first has the rulebook on display along with contents of the competitive play pack for stores, which includes awards, tokens, wristbands, XP roster sheet and what appears to be art cards, including one showing off a Tempestus Scion, so there is hope yet! Also shown underneath the rulebook are the faction specific sheets you'll need to play whatever army you want. On display are Necrons, Skitarii, Dark Eldar, Harlequins, Chaos and Genestealer Cults.

Hoxtalicious

Greedy Partner

BloodyMary76

Witty Conversationalist

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:12 pm
Those art cards may end up being something along the lines of the unit cards they use in Warmachine.

I'm curious how outfitting your warband will work since I'd think it won't be a monetary system. Granted the "money" will probably be rebranded as supply points or somesuch.

I'm extremely excited to see the store play packs. I know my lgs has been running Blood Bowl and Kill Team leagues, so it's great to see GW actually promoting leagues with rewards.  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:32 pm
Instead of credits like the old system used in Necromunda it will just be points.

The store packs will be the same as previous ones: missions, rewards (this time in form of wristbands), certificates (for best player, best painted, best young blood painter etc.), a sheet of tokens and rosters for your team. The Kill Team pack included buttons and a poker chip token of sorts, whereas the Tank Shock pack included buttons and a sheet of punch out tokens for the most common status effects on vehicles.

The cards may also be part of the rewards, being just that: art cards, it wouldn't surprise me. Though your mention of unit cards does give the thought that maybe the models depicted on the cards are along the lines of hired guns or the like for a lack of a better term.

Reward-wise though.. depends on the store I guess. Aside from a certificate and a wristband, the packs do not include anything else in form of a reward, meaning that the store has to work that out or just leaves you with the warm fuzzy feeling of having attended.

Spotted in Twitter, some pics of demo games:

Hoxtalicious

Greedy Partner

BloodyMary76

Witty Conversationalist

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:05 pm
Hired Guns is certainly a possibility. The figures depicted certainly look important. I'd be a little surprised if GW decided to hand out art cards with just pictures of models on them as rewards, but it's possible.

I'm guessing "Missions Completed" will be how they handle the experience.

I know in Necromunda armor isn't really a thing. I'm curious how this will play out with the new rules.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:42 am
Edgy title, visceral box art, cringy tagline? All it needs now is a good background tune.

Vikki Stardust

Sweet Vampire

14,875 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Hellraiser 500

Vikki Stardust

Sweet Vampire

14,875 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Hellraiser 500
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:44 am
BrookM
Depending on the price, multiple purchases may also be happening, as the terrain is damned good looking and well, modular is always good in my books. Especially with the empty table I have at home right about now.
How many boxes of unpainted shame? ninja  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:22 am
Vikki Stardust
BrookM
Depending on the price, multiple purchases may also be happening, as the terrain is damned good looking and well, modular is always good in my books. Especially with the empty table I have at home right about now.
How many boxes of unpainted shame? ninja
Depending on the price, two at the very least, maybe more if the terrain is as flexible as hoped. sweatdrop  

Hoxtalicious

Greedy Partner

Hoxtalicious

Greedy Partner

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:12 am
Rear view of the cards shown earlier, these are not art cards, but indeed along the lines of hired guns, or a more elite helping hand for certain factions:

Most saddening, as this means that the Militarum Tempestus will not be available as a team. crying

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:39 pm
It'll be a shame if they can't be a team! A bit surprised though, they seem like perfect team for this sort of thing. I'm curious if Space Marines will be scouts only or not.

Rumors are going around saying this is getting released April 8th so hopefully spoilers will start flying out. Right now they still don't have it listed on the games workshop website unless I just can't find it for some reason.

I wish they'd give us a confirmed list of teams available so we can start planning!  

BloodyMary76

Witty Conversationalist

Hoxtalicious

Greedy Partner

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:32 am
We'll find out in about two weeks at the latest, though certain sites should be getting their review copies soon.

April 8th does indeed appear to be the projected release date, which if true, is good timing for me personally as that's the start of a two week break for me.

The pre-orders should appear on April 1st and though this is speculation on my part, I wouldn't be surprised if webstore entries of certain unit types would in the future feature a link to their respective Shadow War kill team sheets, a-la Stormcloud Attack's flyers and Age of Sigmar units in general.  
General Discussion (Chatterbox)

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff