Submit

Bronze Coffee

Stubborn Senshi

13,275 Points
  • Mega Tipsy 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 1:10 pm
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.Zhen was going farther from his village this time. He wanted to really explore Oba, get a feel for how things had or hadn't progressed. He knew he was isolated, so he only saw the positive things that his beliefs had done. So he'd talked to the elders and they let him explore further out, to teach more of Oba how to center themselves and live in acceptance of all other races. They had to reform themselves before they could reform the whole country. Love and acceptance was the key! That's what he truly believed.

It was hard getting anyone else to even listen to him.

While Zhen wasn't the weakest looking eighteen year old, he didn't exactly look strong. He seemed sort of meek when he wasn't looking like a puppy trailing after someone, trying to get them to listen to his message. It was hard work and took a lot of determination to not get upset over the fact no one seemed to want to hear him out.

"It's okay," he told himself, finding a little cafe area and settled outside with a late lunch-early breakfast sort of meal. "This is just a test. You'll pass it. You have to stay positive," he even gave himself a little fist-pump of excitement to pump himself up again.

akuma_kessaku

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:29 pm
User Image

Mash'al snorted to himself as he spied on the young prentice giving himself a pep-talk, ' Stay Positive~' he mused, 'What was there to stay positive about?' With all these Earthling races stomping about; they view themselves as equals, the audacity... Oban's were clearly superior in every right; from their culture to their religion, they are more refined than all of Tendaji. How could those savages even consider comparing themselves to the Oba.

With a piping hot mug of afternoon tea, Mash'al approached the prentice with a warm smile, "Good afternoon~" he chimed, "is this seat taken?" He asked not waiting for an answer before making himself comfortable. "Such a lovely day and you're hear alone... A fresh young face here in Jatine." Breathing in the steam of his beverage, he sighed, "you're not from around here are you? Here for the beach or just passing through?"

Peppermint Coffee

akuma_kessaku

Omnipresent Gawker

7,900 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Contributor 150

Bronze Coffee

Stubborn Senshi

13,275 Points
  • Mega Tipsy 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:39 pm
He was snapped from his own thoughts by a voice and a sudden face full of man in front of him that he didn't know. This one didn't even wait for an answer or even introduced himself before he started to ask questions. The younger of the two stared at him hard for a heartbeat before a smile took over his face, thick strands of black hair fell into his face as his head canted to the side.

"Passing through, actually," he said rather cheerfully. "I'm from further east. My name is Zhen." He took a hold of his own drink, coffee, and sipped at it quite happily. "What's your name?"

Clearly Zhen didn't mind the other's boldness. He'd just ask questions at his own pace and hopefully the other answered them. Sometimes he got people who talked over his questions or didn't even let him speak. It was definitely teaching him patience to not snap and ask to finish talking when those kinds of conversations came up.

akuma_kessaku

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:14 pm
User Image

"Mash'al," he beamed, "Mash'al Tahan." He doubted there was a single Oban in all of Jatine that didn't know his last name, but seeing as this Zhen was new to the area, a proper introduction was in order, "I come from a long line of Fisherman, 4th generation in fact, deeply rooted in the southern part of Oba. We hug the coast and battle the depths to reveal its fantastic fruits~" his smile faded as he turned his gaze to his earth toned beverage and took a sip, "Fascinating, I assure you."

Stirring a bit of cream into his tea he let out a heavy sigh, "I have quite a bit of pride for my heritage, but sadly that seems to be a dying quality as of late." His crimson eyes locked onto Zhen, "What brings you to the area? Your youthful eyes hold such determination... Yet this area is quite peaceful" Mash'al's diverted his gaze to a nearby building, "But your generation seems to be on a mission to prove something. What of you?" there was something predatory about him as he returned his attention to the young prentice sitting across from him.

peppermint Coffee

akuma_kessaku

Omnipresent Gawker

7,900 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Contributor 150

Bronze Coffee

Stubborn Senshi

13,275 Points
  • Mega Tipsy 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:23 pm
Fisherman! That was exciting. Zhen leaned forward as Mash'al talked and just sipped at his coffee happily. The other's tones rang positive in his ear, something he could get lost in, honestly. But it wasn't had to impress the boy. He could find the positive in absolutely everything.

"I'm here to preach peace! To get everyone to stop fighting. To take a good look at themselves and realize that we all need change in some way or another. So Oba isn't shown in the dark light it is," he was rather determined as he said it, if not a bit sad towards the end. Oba's reputation made him sad.

It seemed, however, that Zhen knew nothing of Mash'al's reputation. He didn't recognize the last name in the slightest bit. Truthfully, he just focused on spreading his word of mouth and meditation. Zhen didn't mind Mash'al's way of talking, either. He talked about interesting things and asked really good questions so far. This could turn into a very good conversation! His eyes sparkled a bit more and he tipped his head in a way that his crystal's captured the light.

"What're you trying to prove?"

akuma_kessaku

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:58 pm
User Image

'To Prove?' the words tugged at his lips as it rolled around his thoughts, 'What do I have to prove?' he had his families success and wealth to roll back on so all in all he had nothing to prove per se...

"Peace~" He Mused, "Such a noble cause... No better place than the capital to spread that message!" Mash'al raised his mug in a toast to the boy's enthusiasm. "Travel north of here about an hour then directly east to the capital city of Sulburi; your message is needed." his brow furrowed, "The usurper King Elitharius has hardly inspired unity..." Mash'al murmured while looking rather downhearted, "So many years have passed since we made peace with the Matori... yet they still see us as monsters." expelled another hearty sigh, "What has our king done to remedy this?"

Examining the leaves at the bottom of his glass Mash'al gave a slight frown, "Out of tea... What a shame." Standing from his chair he straightened his jacket, "It has been a pleasure, Zhen. I pray your message of peace is able to breach the palace walls." His lips curved into a slight smile, "My efforts were in vain, but perhaps you will succeed where I have failed."

Peppermint Coffee
I figured Zhen could chase him down and inquire of his efforts~ >3 We'll see just how saintly I can try to make Mash'al ><'

akuma_kessaku

Omnipresent Gawker

7,900 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Contributor 150

Bronze Coffee

Stubborn Senshi

13,275 Points
  • Mega Tipsy 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:13 am
This one seemed to just ramble when he talked, but never really answered any of the questions. Zhen hummed a little, watching the elder man raised his glass and then got sad over the state of their two peoples.

What had their king done indeed. "That's why I think it--" He was cut off by the other saying he was out of tea. Then, before Zhen knew what was happening, Mash'al was seeing himself out.

"W-wait!" His efforts? The younger bolted up right and tried to follow him out. "What do you mean your efforts? What efforts?" He was very interested. "Did you try to help reform Oba's image? I'm ...Tell me how you tried! I'm trying. I need to learn!" He seemed a mix of excited and anxious. Would Mash'al just straight up leave without telling him?

akuma_kessaku

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:54 pm
User Image

Mash'al continued on his path, "The Tahan's have always been a strong supporter of the Royal family on a financial level," his tone somber as he followed the path ahead with his eyes, "and I personally have given much in service to my country; yet I struggle to keep my employees due to a thoughtless decision they chose as a result of a war they were too afraid to win." He adamantly believed that if the True King of Oba were sitting on the throne we would all be Obans. Tendaji would be tamed into a proper society, led by a strong aristocracy, guided by the divine providence of the true gods of this magnificent continent.

"It may be true that the Matori were brought to Oba in a less than pleasant manner, but their lives were enriched with our culture! And in spite of their past living conditions, many chose to stay living in Oba." He pointed out with gusto, "What do you suppose would happen if I, A loyalist, were to travel to Matori... for Business or Pleasure?" Mash'al grimaced as he waved the thought by, "I would suggest an ambassador from Oba be placed on their board of Counselors to help them establish a proper government. Our King, on the other hand, decided to cut ties and give the situation space, allowing the Matori to become independent of us. Should this idea be brought to Matori now, they would be see it as a threat rather than an olive branch."

Peppermint Coffee

akuma_kessaku

Omnipresent Gawker

7,900 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Contributor 150

Bronze Coffee

Stubborn Senshi

13,275 Points
  • Mega Tipsy 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:16 pm
Zhen followed Mash'al as fast as he could, listening to him talk about his family. It was nice to hear that they served the Royal family and then things took a turn he hadn't expected. The darker boy blinked and continued to listen, his steps tapping as his boots hit the ground beneath them.

"The Matori are their own people. They were forced to live with our ways, with their lives being turned to servitude toward people he didn't treat them right. There was no enriching done.." Zhen said firmly. "The King is doing a good job. We should let them become independent once again, every single nation should be independent." His throat was a little tight as he spoke. "Forcing an Oban onto their council would not look good. It can be seen as us trying to gain a foothold in their land to just enslave the poor people yet again. Right now relations aren't good with them, but if we change... If Oba changes it's attitude toward them, if we reform ourselves, we can reform our image, and maybe, just maybe we can be at peace instead of feeling like we're constantly on the verge of war with them."

Zhen was very passionate when he talked like this. He had wild hand gestures, facial expressions, and even his tones went from light and airy to firm and demanding.

akuma_kassaku

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:47 pm
User Image

It was obvious the Prentice had been swept up in the Unity movement that has been worming its way into the Oban society, "So then, Tell me... What gods do the Matori Worship?" He paused a moment, "Yet we have not enriched their culture in the slightest?" If anything the movement was allowing for further separation. They were forcing a wedge between two societies that have been so intertwined over the ages.

"The Matori are Independent. We can't take that away from them, as the accords of our surrender dictates, therefore we are not at odds with them any longer."
Mash'al explained, "For better or for worse their Merit as a country is on an equal standing with ours... Therefore offering our assistance in elevating their social status, evolving their culture, and establishing their government is not Enslaving them. We are bettering the whole of Tendaji and burying the hatchet, so to speak."

He glanced to Zhen with an arrogant smile, "So tell me, If you do not see how this could benefit the prejudices between the Matori and Obans. How exactly do you intend to bring about peace? Flailing your arms and shouting real loudly?" He mocked the prentices' tactics used on his own biases, "I sure hope you have a better game plan, my friend, because the aristocracy is going to laugh you clear out of Sulburi."

Peppermint Coffee

akuma_kessaku

Omnipresent Gawker

7,900 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Contributor 150

Bronze Coffee

Stubborn Senshi

13,275 Points
  • Mega Tipsy 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:34 am
Zhen's jaw was clenched as the other spouted the shite other Obans spat when they were threatened with the truth that Oba as a whole messed up when it came to Matori and it's people. Mash'al was on the attack, but Zhen took a deep, calming breath and let his 'work smile' take over.

"Being forced into servitude for so long, they are bound to pick some things up out of sheer determination to protect themselves. Be like their captors and maybe the captors will be more lenient on their punishments. I do not care if I get laughed at. It's something that's going to happen every time I open my mouth to try to get people to see the injustices we did for them. Perhaps you're not enlightened enough to realize these weren't minor things we've done to them." Words were everything. Yes, action spoke louder than words, but when the actions of your whole country were deplorable to a whole nation of people, Zhen and his beliefs believed that words were necessary over action.

He looked the other over, from head to toe, and shook his head. It was sad Mash'al wasn't ready to see Truth. Preaching to him was going to do nothing, he could see that. He knew when to give up the chase.

Maybe Zhen himself wasn't as ready as he thought to take on talking to others alone. He would have to work on it. Just no longer with Mash'al.

"Let's agree to disagree on this debate. I know when I'm trying to drag a quhar and force him to drink."

akuma_kessaku

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:52 am
User Image

"Giving up so easily~? I thought you were anxious to preach peace, sway the minds of the corrupt, not crawl back home defeated." Mash'al snorted as they neared the end of the road which branched off to the left to a clustering of estates, or the right which was a rugged dirt trail through tall grass to the oceans' shore, "The Matori are a free people, of that we can hopefully agree on, yet they continue to follow our religion; culture enrichment. They are protecting no one and nothing by continuing to follow it; Stockholm syndrome won't save you from that one!" he declared with a chuckle.

"Well, to the left I can go home... However, I'd much prefer to go another round with you; take this discussion to the beach?" Turning to face Zhen he left the traveled path up to him, "You generalize our entire people into a stereotype of demonizing enslavers who tormented the poor souls of Matori, and surely that's the case for some... But did you ever stop to consider that many weren't so cruel to them?"

Mash'al could discuss this all day, it was a topic he was well versed in thanks in no small part to his Father. When the two traveled for business he was made aware of the cruelties placed on the inferior race, felt pity for their situation, but knew his place in it all and turned a blind eye; what could a child really do after all? Not to mention his families entire trade was built on the backs of the Matori. It was true they took a hit when the Oban royalty released the constraints binding slave to owner. But after his workers had a taste of freedom, ninety percent came crawling to negotiate work contracts for the Tahan family; contracts he drew up personally.

"It may be true that you will not sway my thoughts on the politics the king is bringing into play, but you really think I'm going to be your toughest opposition?" he smirked while ginning up the prentice up for another round of friendly debate, "Plus, I'm still hanging on your every word trying to figure out your master plan to bring about peace."

Peppermint Coffee

akuma_kessaku

Omnipresent Gawker

7,900 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Contributor 150

Bronze Coffee

Stubborn Senshi

13,275 Points
  • Mega Tipsy 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:07 am
Another round would definitely test the poor Prentice boy. He took a deep breath and seriously looked like he was debating if he should go or not. He could not back down so easily, it seemed, or just really enjoyed getting a good verbal beat down. Zhen nodded a bit and motioned him towards the right.

"I understand I am generalizing. I know not every Oban tormented their captives, but most did. It's what the world is focusing on and why we're labeled as we are. Unfortunately often times the voices heard are those of the ones who were treated terribly," Zhen was slow as he talked this time, thinking. He was starting to question his own teachings. Sure, Zhen had been swayed easily into believing talking would bring about peace, and some of the more simple-minded Obans had been drawn to the flock. They were still very few, however, against the whole nation.

A black gloved hand rubbed the back of his neck.

"I just want peaceful discussions. I want... I want Oba to officially recognize what its done. I want people to see what we did was not right. We've changed them as a whole nation and they have our beliefs now, it's true. Just because they share our beliefs, however, I don't think it means we need to strain our relationship with them any more than it already is... Honestly I don't know how the elders are planning to bring about this huge reform, only that I am to recruit those who wish to better our country."

akuma_kessaku

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:34 am
User Image

Mash'al gave a gentle pat to the Prentice's back and squeezed his shoulder, "That's the first step." He mused, "Attacking your opposition is definitely not going to lead to a peaceful discussion. Keep a level head, Think before you speak, and avoid generalizations when you can because they can come back to bite you." This was an interesting turn of events for Mash'al... He was always at odds with his younger brother when it came to their views, but that was why Mash'al was in charge of the family estate and not him. Whenever the Tahan brothers were having a spat, instead of talking it out, Tyjah would storm back to the docks and fish... like he always did. Sure, Mash'al could bat Tyjah around like a Perzi abusing its prey for a while, but in the end, his brother would always walk away; This one stayed.

"Loyalists, like me, feel very strongly for our country; Old and new... Though as of late it seems all the new king cares to consider is the feelings of the other countries in this nation, not his own." Mash'al began as he released Zhen's shoulder, "I served my time on the front lines, was taken prisoner, and when I escaped the hostile lands of Tendaji the new administration spat in my face like I was a criminal." Mash'al's lips curled into a snarl as he spoke of his experiences with the new king and his appointees, "I continue to support him because I love my country. Though I believe there are many problems we could fix on our own turf before we make nice with everyone else... Perhaps if we focused on that maybe the rest of the nation would see us healing from within and appreciate us for what we are, not hate us for what we were."

His gaze hollowed as he stared out at the waning sea. Was he reflecting on the country, or a more personal topic, himself... The similarities startled him and he became distracted with the direction of his debate. Mash'al was a masterpiece of his father's design, a true businessman through and through... but was there room for improvement, for something more? His brow furrowed as he took a moment of self-reflection to consider things his brother had spouted off to him before.

Peppermint Coffee

akuma_kessaku

Omnipresent Gawker

7,900 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Contributor 150

Bronze Coffee

Stubborn Senshi

13,275 Points
  • Mega Tipsy 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:13 am
"And what I'm trying to preach is reform ourselves so our image is repaired. I'm not saying focus on the other nations. I'm saying focus on our nation as a whole, and individuals. Honestly holding onto the old way of thinking is poison, in my beliefs. It causes hate so strong in ones heart that can't be lifted..."

Zhen sighed hard as he leaned into the shoulder squeezing.

"I'm not saying it will be easy, or it will even be the right path, I'm just saying this is a starting point for a different image for our people. We can grow peaceful, we can grow stronger still. I'm a proud Oban through and through, but I know we can be greater than what we have been and what we are now. I honestly believe it's through peace. I'm of the belief of do no harm. I'm never going to fight. I've been mugged, beat up, spat at, and even punched for talking as I am now, but I will never raise a fist, even to defend myself."

Of course he knew how dangerous it was, what he was saying. He was openly stating the other could probably make an attempt on his life and Zhen would not stop him. He wasn't trying to be a martyr, but he didn't see a point in fighting anymore. A hand came up to his face, and with his ring finger, Zhen scratch a spot between the crystals on his forehead and then stared at the ocean as well.

"I know what I want to achieve ....pacifism, is not an absolute possibility... but it puts my mind at ease."

akuma_kessaku

◈ Archives

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces