Welcome to Gaia! ::

Anime Conventions: The Global Connection

Back to Guilds

A guild dedicated to sharing/discussing conventions, cosplay, anime, and manga from across the world 

Tags: Convention, Cosplay, Anime, Crossplay, Manga 

Reply Convention Experiences & Running Panels/Conventions Info
Special Memories of your First Convention

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:03 am
Back in October 2009 I went to my first con in Dearborn Michigan. It was Youmacon 2009. Three of my fondest memories were:

1. Meeting with and taking pictures of Cosplayers. One special lady who I met online before the con told me what Cosplaying and what the anime / Cosplay cons were all about. She even did a short photoshoot for me.

2. I was wearing my first Cosplay outfit based on the Star Trek Original series. I didn't wear the ears but I did wear the blue "Spock" shirt. The latest Star Trek movie had come out just a few months before. 50 people took pics of me that day!! I became hooked on Cosplaying. People were stopping me everywhere I went to take my picture. I was so honored. I was called either Spock or Dr McCoy. Due to my age I looked a lot like Dr McCoy from the latest Star Trek movie.

3. Dealer and Artist Alley. Do I need to say more. LOL

Please share your special memories of your first Anime / Cosplay or Comic Con Convention with us.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 3:27 am
I started out at super small cons because of anxiety so nothing really happened. Then I got to go to Kraken Con on an old ship which was used in the war. While the con was ok ( I met the voice of Steven in Steven Universe, great guy. Though I wasn't ready so I looked and sounded like a stuttering fool. ) the ship was more interesting... and painful since I had just sprained my ankle two weeks earlier. My fear of heights certainly didn't help though when I was walking up the looooong metal, shaky bridge that was attached to the ship and was over 20 or so feet water.
My next con was Silicon Valley Comic Con, the one Stan Lee actually helped create. At this one I was able to actually shove down my fear and write out what I was going to say to any celebs there. I even made buttons as presents for a few I was looking forward to seeing. I only met one. Jeremey Renner aka Hawkeye hosted a Q & A panel which I got to go to. I was the last person who got a question in before it ended too. After I gave him a button I made him and he even gave me a hug.
After that I've been going to SacAnime since last year during their Summer con. Since then I've met Steve Blum ( voice actor for Vincent Valentine in Final Fantasy ), J Michael Tatum ( Sebastian from Black Butler and Kyoya from Ouran ), creators of Alice: Return to Madness, the voice of Mojo Jojo, the voice of Lizzie in Black Butler, faintly met a Power Ranger in the elevator at the con, gave a bag of candy to Ciel's voice actor, all the voices in FNAF: Sister's Location, and finally, if memory serves I met Vic M. the voice of Tamaki in Ouran, Edward Elric in Full Metal, and recently Qrow in RWBY.  

Alliecat298

Agent Bookworm

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:04 am
Alliecat298
I started out at super small cons because of anxiety so nothing really happened. Then I got to go to Kraken Con on an old ship which was used in the war. While the con was ok ( I met the voice of Steven in Steven Universe, great guy. Though I wasn't ready so I looked and sounded like a stuttering fool. ) the ship was more interesting... and painful since I had just sprained my ankle two weeks earlier. My fear of heights certainly didn't help though when I was walking up the looooong metal, shaky bridge that was attached to the ship and was over 20 or so feet water.
My next con was Silicon Valley Comic Con, the one Stan Lee actually helped create. At this one I was able to actually shove down my fear and write out what I was going to say to any celebs there. I even made buttons as presents for a few I was looking forward to seeing. I only met one. Jeremey Renner aka Hawkeye hosted a Q & A panel which I got to go to. I was the last person who got a question in before it ended too. After I gave him a button I made him and he even gave me a hug.
After that I've been going to SacAnime since last year during their Summer con. Since then I've met Steve Blum ( voice actor for Vincent Valentine in Final Fantasy ), J Michael Tatum ( Sebastian from Black Butler and Kyoya from Ouran ), creators of Alice: Return to Madness, the voice of Mojo Jojo, the voice of Lizzie in Black Butler, faintly met a Power Ranger in the elevator at the con, gave a bag of candy to Ciel's voice actor, all the voices in FNAF: Sister's Location, and finally, if memory serves I met Vic M. the voice of Tamaki in Ouran, Edward Elric in Full Metal, and recently Qrow in RWBY.

Alliecat298,

That's cool that you were able to meet all of those voice actors. The only one on your list that I met was Vic M. I would Love to meet Steve Blum. I'm a big fan of Final Fantasy. I've taken a lot of cosplay photos of Final Fantasy Cosplayers over the years!!  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:09 am
smithers456

Since I younger, about 10, its been my goal to meet Steve Blum for many reasons and not just because of him voicing Vincent Valentine. He also voiced the host on Toonami, a light night series on Cartoon Network that showed anime. Steve Blum is probably one of the nicest voice actors that I have personally met. I was actually the first person ever who had him sign the Advent Children script.  

Alliecat298

Agent Bookworm

angelmage99
Vice Captain

Liberal Ladykiller

22,940 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:51 pm
My first con was Radcon 2008. It was also the first time I played DnD, needless to say I kept going to cons even if I dumped the other thing.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:11 am
angelmage99
My first con was Radcon 2008. It was also the first time I played DnD, needless to say I kept going to cons even if I dumped the other thing.

I'm a "Game Master"!! I played DnD back in the 1980's. The old fashioned way on paper. I have my own RPG Guild where I have created a few RPG's from scratch. In this Guild their is a RPG Sub Forum. So far their hasn't been any interest. I also created a very detailed DnD RPG. If you want to try an RPG please let me know.  

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200

angelmage99
Vice Captain

Liberal Ladykiller

22,940 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:34 am
smithers456
angelmage99

I'm a "Game Master"!! I played DnD back in the 1980's. The old fashioned way on paper. I have my own RPG Guild where I have created a few RPG's from scratch. In this Guild their is a RPG Sub Forum. So far their hasn't been any interest. I also created a very detailed DnD RPG. If you want to try an RPG please let me know.

Thank you for the offer, but I don't want to push myself too much. I have my own RP guild to deal with.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:02 pm
angelmage99
smithers456
angelmage99

Thank you for the offer, but I don't want to push myself too much. I have my own RP guild to deal with.

Hi Angel,

I'm curious what is the name of your Guild and is it on Gaia Online. I would like to check it out. smile  

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200

OnsenMark

Crew

Noble Raider

12,700 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:41 pm
Two words: the crowds.

More: my first con was Katsucon 2009. The con was supposed to be in National Harbor in 2010, but they were back in Crystal City(outside D.C.) for that year. So imagine six or seven thousand people in one hotel.

But, yeah, I had a blast. But oh God, the crowds.

Also, that con was where I began to loathe stairs. LOATHE, I tell you.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:01 pm
I think my first one was in 2010 and despite not even being in a cosplay (I was just in a simply black dress and had lots of merch on me lol) someone actually took a pic of me for his daughter!! It made me so happy I hope his daughter enjoyed all the pictures he took for her <3  

NemmieNummie

Adorable Friend

6,325 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Waffles! 25
  • Dramatic Shipping 25

angelmage99
Vice Captain

Liberal Ladykiller

22,940 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:03 pm
NemmieNummie
I think my first one was in 2010 and despite not even being in a cosplay (I was just in a simply black dress and had lots of merch on me lol) someone actually took a pic of me for his daughter!! It made me so happy I hope his daughter enjoyed all the pictures he took for her <3

Maybe he thought you were Kiki or something?  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:05 pm
OnsenMark
Two words: the crowds.

More: my first con was Katsucon 2009. The con was supposed to be in National Harbor in 2010, but they were back in Crystal City(outside D.C.) for that year. So imagine six or seven thousand people in one hotel.

But, yeah, I had a blast. But oh God, the crowds.

Also, that con was where I began to loathe stairs. LOATHE, I tell you.

I almost always recommend a smaller con as a first one for that reason. That and where I live the local con is a small one.  

angelmage99
Vice Captain

Liberal Ladykiller

22,940 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Full closet 200

slapthefatcat2

Attacking Fatcat

27,050 Points
  • Unbreakable Bond 150
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Partygoer 500
PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 11:57 pm
My first con was Otakon 2008 or 2009. Oh man, was a ride. I loved seeing everything and I didn't really think cosplay was as much of a thing until I went. Also didn't know there were so many people into the same thing as us. I went with a group from high school. It was amazing to see things in fresh eyes. I definitely don't see it the same way and envy people who go for the first or second time nowadays.
Her friends and I still go, but in different groups now. I like to have my own room with just a few people and am willing to pay a little more for that. They like to cram like 6 people to a room. I tried a room with my buddy Vinnie a few years ago so I could get a nearby room with someone I knew, and it was awkward and uncomfortable. So, back to small pairs/trios again.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:18 pm
slapthefatcat2
My first con was Otakon 2008 or 2009. Oh man, was a ride. I loved seeing everything and I didn't really think cosplay was as much of a thing until I went. Also didn't know there were so many people into the same thing as us. I went with a group from high school. It was amazing to see things in fresh eyes. I definitely don't see it the same way and envy people who go for the first or second time nowadays.
Her friends and I still go, but in different groups now. I like to have my own room with just a few people and am willing to pay a little more for that. They like to cram like 6 people to a room. I tried a room with my buddy Vinnie a few years ago so I could get a nearby room with someone I knew, and it was awkward and uncomfortable. So, back to small pairs/trios again.

What's cool in this Guild is meeting people who are into Cosplay, Anime, etc from around the World. Two of our Guild's Crewmembers live in Canada.  

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200
Convention Experiences & Running Panels/Conventions Info

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers