Crew

Shameless Shapeshifter

21,640 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 3:02 pm
User Image

If nothing else, the Fallen were hard-working.

Of course, hard work only got you so far without knowledge and skill and planning...

In the early dawn light, Lahasha's navy hair appeared almost black as she moved silently through the berry fields. Nothing more than a couple of sprouts so far, and that was only a fraction of what they had planted. The rest stubbornly refused to grow, or at least that was the way it seemed. What had gone wrong? Had she forgotten some crucial step? At this rate, they were all going to starve and it would be all her fault for leading them on and failing to deliver...

She crumbled some dirt in her hand, letting it fall through her fingers as she stood once more. This wasn't working. It was time to stop stalling and ask for help. Their survival depended on it.

The plan was that she and Avner would set out at first light. She'd stopped by the failed berry plot on the way; call it 'motivation' to succeed on their mission. The Fallen hefted her small knapsack onto one shoulder, carrying only a day or two of meager supplies within. They would have to supplement it along the way as necessary. As she exited the plot, her eyes skimmed over the line of shelters where the others remained asleep. It was progress, that was encouraging, but...it wasn't enough. There was still so much more they needed to be able to do if they were going to survive here by themselves.

They couldn't do it all on their own; not without instruction.

Without further delay, she headed towards the edge of the modest village to meet Avner. With luck, they would find their way to Lugh's farm within two nights.

Irish Night Fox

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 2:54 pm
User ImageAvner had been unable to sleep since things seemed to start going down hill. He had had such high hopes for the group, building their own place and taking up growing their own food. They were a crew that weren't afraid of hard work, and especially when it was for themselves and not someone else for once. For whatever dumb reason he had convinced himself that was all that they needed. He should have known better.

He'd been up all night yet again. He'd seen Lahasha leave the housing area and moved towards their experimental growing grounds, but hadn't made a move to join her. They had made plans to leave that morning, and he wasn't mentally ready to speak with anyone just yet. He'd leave the time to what was planned and attempt to bring himself out of the darken daze he was in.

He'd gone over again and again in his mind what they had done, to the point he'd felt the shadows presence lingering over him in his lean too. He could hear its soft laughter soaking into the wood as it gleefully looked on. Of course it wanted them to fail. When had it ever wanted something to succeed with him? Maybe it had poisoned the water they had used or turned the ground bad for the plants-

He'd left his shelter at that point, deciding to prepare for the journey. He'd struggled with the shadows long enough, now it was time to do something about it. He was tired of giving in to the fears they whispered in his ears. He had others depending on him this time, he'd just have to do it afraid. Plus, he had other fears he had to focus on. Like this character they were suppose to meet. Someone who Lahasha apparently took interest in. Whatever that meant. Either way it was a stranger and someone he couldn't just trust right away.

Despite everything this guy had taught Lahasha it had apparently not been enough, that or he was trying to sabotage them. Of course that's where Avner's mind had instantly jumped to, but he'd heard Lahasha out and knew for the sake of the community he'd have to put these haunting thoughts aside. They needed help. A lot of it. He couldn't let the group starve because he couldn't trust others. As much as he hated it...

He'd pull together a small amount of supplies, not wanting to take too much from the others. They'd have opportunities to forage along the way, he hoped, a lot more than the group at least. They had enough on their shoulders to worry about. He lifted his head as he lifted the pack to his shoulders, looking over the small shelters as the sun lightly caressed them. Despite how thrown together it all looked, it still caused a soft warmth in his belly he hadn't felt in a long time. It was faint and quick, but he knew there was a soft presence of connection between him and this so 'village'. He would do what he must to see it blossom.

He made it before Lahasha did, but not very long before. He stood there watching the quiet forest around them, ever mulling things over in his mind. His eyes turned to meet her when he detected her presence and gave her a soft nod, “Morning.”

“How are they looking this morning?” he asked, betraying her whereabouts that morning. He didn't have an ounce of hope in his voice, but it wasn't so much the bushes he was concerned about as her thoughts on them. Did she really think this would be the answer? If nothing else, it was the only lead they had.

He motioned for her to lead on, not hesitating with any other morning pleasantries. He could feel the weight of his sleeplessness in his legs, but knew if they'd just get started his mind would win over his body. Till then he'd have to trudge on after her, carrying his dead weight the best he could.

Teigra

Irish Night Fox
Crew

Chatty Regular

Teigra
Crew

Shameless Shapeshifter

21,640 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 3:28 pm
In response to the greeting, Lahasha offered a quiet, "Morning," and shifted the pack on her shoulder in preparation of moving out. Or perhaps it was more a sort of fidgeting cued by anxiety. Who could say? She glanced back over her shoulder from whence she'd come. So, he'd been waiting long enough to notice her up and about this morning as well.

"Still only two sprouts from the group. Even if they do take hold, this is taking far too long. We need another plan." Turning back to Avner, her expression set, she commented, "Though, I suppose that's what we're doing, isn't it?"

She looked towards the forest, mentally checking off her preparations and concerns before moving. She was simultaneously anxious to get going...and also to stall in leaving as long as possible. Should she bring up the supplies they'd left here for the others? The contingency plans? Hopefully they wouldn't be necessary, but could the others take care of one another if they didn't return? She noted that Samkiel and Thyone had been spending time away from the others, but... No, bad Lahasha! You have a job to do!

With a deep breath, she took the first few steps of this new journey into the sheltering forest. Perhaps some idle chatter would distract her for a bit. "So, from what I've seen and been told, there's a massive lake in the center of the island we're on. If we travel around it, we'll at least have water and hopefully some more food along the way."

And when they got further south...hopefully something would look familiar.

She was...pretty sure, at least, that she remembered where Lugh's farm was. Pretty sure.

Irish Night Fox

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:58 am
Avner didn't mean for the sign he gave off to be so loud. Still only the two? How many had they planted to only have their hardwork returned with two? It had taken so much time and man power... He pushed the thoughts from his mind not wanting to spoil his mind again. He's already had a night long worth of that thinking.

Then again, it was what was spurring this trip on. Otherwise he would never dream of leaving them like they were. Not only was food scarce, but he'd be leaving them to fend for themselves if anything or anyone showed up. That was the worst of it. He felt like he was leaving them defenseless. Sure, some of them were more than capable of taking care of themselves, but it still just felt wrong of him.

He clenched his jaw, he just had to remember this was for their good. They'd be ok, they had to. They hadn't made it this far to allow starvation to take them. They had dealt with far worse in the past. They were stronger because of it. “Yeah, another plan...” he said the words so softly they barely left his lips. How many plans had they gone through already? How many times had the shadows told him another plan just wouldn't do it...

Her words were a welcome distraction. He nodded as he followed, taking a spot beside her. They'd scouted out a ways around the perimeter of their home so he knew they had a good ways to go before they needed to be extra careful of their steps. It didn't mean he could relax though. “That's a relief. Sounds like it will make the journey longer, but I'd rather our needs be taken care of...”

He was quiet for a moment before he turned his light eyes towards the dark female, looking very serious “Do you really think he'd welcome us?” His voice almost betrayed his concerned thoughts. He hardened his face so they wouldn't break through. “From your stories it sounded like our differences were pretty shocking to him...” All he wanted was the best for their group, but one wrong move could have the dwellers of this world flooding in on them... He couldn't have led them into another life like that...

Teigra

Irish Night Fox
Crew

Chatty Regular

Teigra
Crew

Shameless Shapeshifter

21,640 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:01 am
Lahasha fiddled idly with the strap of the knapsack that was slung over her shoulder. Would Lugh welcome them? It was a legitimate question. Her short stay with the angel led her to think that he would, yet...what if that had been a one-off? What if it had been the circumstances of her arrival that had caused him to open his home to her? Perhaps, they show up now and he turn them away? The thought was discouraging.

However...if it had been the circumstances that had caused his actions, then what had driven that? Pity? Dare she hope compassion? His actions had always seemed genuine, even if sometimes she had trouble comprehending it. If he had been willing to take her in then in her pitiful state, helpless, ill, and needing care, then why would he turn her away now just because she was healthy? Well...healthier.

She'd begun biting her lip as she considered these thoughts and hurriedly stopped as soon as she realized what she was doing. "I...think he will. At least, I would predict that he would, given his actions in the past. He helped me before without asking for anything in return. I don't see why he wouldn't help us now, especially if we can work out some sort of arrangement to make this mutually beneficial."

Her gaze flickered downwards for a moment, towards her chest. "I suppose...my appearance was rather shocking at first. I think...to see things from his view, if he was expecting another like himself, then yes, our differences would be rather alarming." Self-consciously, she had drawn her tattered wings close to her back. She kept her tone even, despite a momentary flicker of sadness.

Or perhaps it was jealousy.

Then it was gone and she continued in a thoughtful tone, "He kept fussing over it as if I were hurt. I think, after I explained, rather than shocking, I think...my wings made him sad." She'd known he'd catch her staring at his wings when she'd thought he wasn't looking. And she'd caught the shift in his expression at times that she felt he thought she hadn't seen. "Of course, I think this was far more shocking," she motioned to the gaping cavity in her chest. With a touch of bitterness in her voice, she continued, "I don't think it's exactly normal for beings here to still be walking around with something like this. Honestly, I'm still not sure I understand it myself."

Irish Night Fox

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:51 am
Sure enough, as he kept pushing on the blanket of exhaustion that had been covering him slipped off. He pulled himself into his mind to the point he didn't feel the lead in his legs or the weight of his pack on his back. It all had to do with the mind, and if he could convince himself he was ok then he was. Of course, this wouldn't last long, but hopefully they'd make good time even on dead legs. They needed to, for their group.

Her voice brought a kind of relief that washed over him. As long as she spoke it helped keep him distracted or at least focused on something other than what was going on with his body. Even if the discussion was matters of worry, stress, and other mental obstacles, they could get through those. They were already on their way so they didn't really have much of a choice. A plan was good, but worrying over details they had no control over wouldn't help the plan. It could only hinder it.

He looked over at her in time to catch a glimpse of her biting her lip. It was rare to catch such a moment from her, from any of them, a moment that reflect even a hint of their former selves. Those seleves that felt something more than a tiny p***k of emotion. He almost couldn't remember what it felt like to have it bubble up in him- joy, anger, frustration. This situation was as close to 'emotional' as he had come in awhile. Even then, it was a minute amount. Some times he was thankful for it- it helped keep his mind clear, but other times... He missed joy.

“Hmmm” Avner listened as she spoke, hanging on the words 'mutually beneficial'. “I hope I can speak frank with you, Lahasha, I'd hate doing it to any of the others because... Well, some times I worry I'll scare them, but what could we even have to offer?” his voice got soft with that last part, a slight shake of his head to follow. “We have no possessions, nothing to trade. All we have... is us.”

“I wont allow them to become slaves again.” something in his tone changed. He reached up and clenched the straps of his pack, turning his eyes down to his feet as they shuffled along. “I'm sorry, I don't know him, I can't expect him to want to own us, but really, we are all we have.”

“Yeah, suppose we forget that this isn't normal. When you've lived it all your life...” Avner muttered letting the words go. No reason to dwell on things. Even though his eyes were down, he still caught her slight movement. She was pulling her wings close to her, something that certainly wasn't normal. Had this Lugh character said or done something that would cause her to feel self conscious? Something stirred in him he wasn't sure how to react to. He pushed it away to analyze later.

It became clear the more she spoke and the earlier feeling washed away with the new thoughts to figure out. Sad? As in a kind of a pity? He pitied her? None of it made sense to him. Outsiders didn't pity them they used them. It was all becoming a jumbled mess in his mind. Things weren't right in this place, no, they were right, just not familiar. He'd take pity over hate any day. He stretched out his own wings at her words, glancing side from side at them, “Yeah, guess wings looking like dying tree branches would be hard for someone to see.” He let them rest back against his back, sending her one of his very rare smiles. It didn't reach his eyes, they still held uncertainty and pain, but it was a start.

He gave a snort at her words, “Normal. I think our problem is everywhere we go we're trying to fit in to what is normal. There was nothing normal about our last home, and there wont be anything normal here for us.” He stopped in his tracks, turning towards her. He gripped her shoulders, looking at her seriously. “That's our problem, Lahasha. We're so use to fading into the background and trying to not be seen that this new life of being fully exposed to others who don't get us is driving us mad. It wont be easy, but we gotta stop trying to compare ourselves to the others here in order to try and fade back in.”

He glanced down at the jagged hole in her chest, shaking his head, “I'm tired. I'm tired of struggling. Tired of trying to be the quiet little slave. I haven't thrown off those chains of the old life and I see it in everyone else as well. We're all struggling to be normal so we wont be noticed. Well you know what? This Lugh is going to get a taste of what normal is for the Fallen type. If we aren't forward and up front about ourselves with him, then we have no chance of surviving.”

Teigra

Irish Night Fox
Crew

Chatty Regular

Teigra
Crew

Shameless Shapeshifter

21,640 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:11 pm
Lahasha's brow furrowed in thought. He wanted to be frank with her...but not the others? For fear of scaring them? With what? And why did he clearly not fear speaking to her frankly? What made her different? The questions were distracting, but she still managed to hone in on his concerns. Of course, she'd thought of that as well. They had nothing to offer but themselves. That being said, she hadn't meant that they should re-enter servitude to survive either.

A brief flicker of defensiveness prompted her to respond to Avner's tone change with her own. "I have no intentions of being anyone's slave ever again," she said in a clipped manner. "While you're right, we have nothing to offer but ourselves...we do so of our own free will. We are not physically trapped. This is just our best option for our circumstances at the time." Still feeling slightly defensive in response to his comments about Lugh, she made sure to add, "As I said before, he asked nothing of me in return the first time. I offered my help because I didn't like feeling like I owed him for so much without something in return. It was my choice to offer my help. I'd rather not start a new life in this land already in debt to others."

She fell quiet, debating for a moment with herself on just what 'normal' was. Their 'normal' was far from the 'normal' in this land, that was for sure. But just because their version of normal was what they were used to, it wasn't what they wanted.

She wanted freedom.

She was startled out of her thoughts by Avner's sudden, tight grip on her shoulders. She tensed and almost as if proving his point, in response to his forceful words and passion, the contact instantly hit her with the instinct to withdraw, to hide, to cower silently and bend to another's will. She hated that reaction. Amongst her kin, it was normally easier to fight; she'd spent the first few days with Lugh constantly flinching and cowering...and being kindly reprimanded for it, soon followed by consoling. It had been stranger to deal with than if he HAD been abusive.

Stomach churning, she managed to still the instinct enough not to flee, though the urge was still there. She took a deep breath, then another as Avner quieted. "Avner," she started quietly, but her voice was steady. Something had sounded vaguely threatening in his words and that made her uneasy. "Just what exactly IS normal for us? I think we have to decide what that's going to be before we can try to force it back on others. How about we stop worrying about what's 'normal' for us and focus more on where we want to be instead? There's nothing wrong with being up front with Lugh. We can be honest and to the point; it's what I thought we intended all along?"

Irish Night Fox

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:14 pm
Avner looked at her funny when she responded to him in a clipped tone. Where had that come from? Had she not just heard him say he wouldn't allow it? No way would he ever let that happen to them again, he'd rather starve then see them fall back into the life they once had. His gut told him to reply in his own defense, but his mind told him to hold his tongue. He waited for her to finish and allowed the silence to stretch between them for awhile. He was still debating where this change in her had come from, but decided to let it go for the time being.

“Lahasha.” he looked over at her seriously, but kept is tone gentle and low. “You know I wouldn't do that. All the planning, all the sacrifices... Think I'd just throw that all away?” he shook his head. “No, that'd never be an option.” he turned away from her and focused back on the area around them. He'd realized bringing up Lugh in any manner was dangerous ground with her, and decided to not speak a word in reply to what she said. It seemed voicing his concerns in wanting a plan had been a mistake. He supposed having someone save your life like that would make you feel indebted to them. He didn't blame her for it, and yes he was thankful to Lugh for that, but Avner had a whole colony of Fallen depending on him. He already felt like he was being very open with his trust by going to meet with this individual, but he still couldn't go off the word of one- he needed a backup plan. In the end he concluded he'd keep his thoughts and plans to himself rather than continue to stir her up. It wasn't fair to her.

Avner nodded firmly at her, “Yes, you're getting exactly what I am saying! Our greatest issue is the slave mentality we continue to carry around with us. Our wills were broken to make us passive and uncertain in ourselves. To be up front and honest with him is something we haven't been able to do in the past. We never dared ask for help let alone open our mouths about something pertaining to ourselves.” he looked away at that point. They were so broken it was disgusting. Sure, he'd seen each and everyone one of them grow in their own way, but not being able to make it on their own had really hurt the moral of the group. He could see it in their eyes.

This would be a huge hurtle for them to overcome. Not only seeking the help of a stranger, but actually having it all work out for them. He had high hopes for this, higher than he expected. Perhaps that was because he was that desperate? He hated being in that place, especially when others were counting on them. The feeling drew the darkness in his mind and it caught his eye. He could see it lingering in the forest around them, sending chills up his spine. No, not here, not with Lahasha around. He'd fought it off before, he'd do it now by focusing on the positives this would bring.

They'd be truly free.

Teigra

Irish Night Fox
Crew

Chatty Regular

Teigra
Crew

Shameless Shapeshifter

21,640 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 3:51 pm
At the first opportunity, Lahasha slipped free of Avner's hold, immediately relaxing as the feeling of conflict faded once the physical aspect had been removed. She was still troubled by something; namely, the implication that she'd been anything but up front with Lugh in her previous dealings with him. Granted, it had taken some persuasion to draw it out of her at first, but she'd been surprisingly honest with him, about where she'd come from, what she was, their history...and despite how clearly shocking it had all been for him, he'd taken it all in stride. He'd given her space when she needed it, assistance when asked...it had been a strange experience for her as well. Never before had she felt free to focus on herself. To ask for anything she wanted or needed. Yet, he had encouraged it. Constantly.

Perhaps it was because Avner hadn't seen this kindness yet for himself. Perhaps after he met Lugh, he'd understand where she was coming from. There was just something that had made the angel so easy to open up to; not just in speaking, but in actions. In just the few days she had been there, she'd begun cringing less...reaching out rather than withdrawing... Avner would see for himself soon, there was no need for so much suspicion. He would see.

With a sigh, Lahasha shifted her bag on her shoulder and turned to lead the way forward. "Everything will be fine; you'll see, Avner."

When had she become such an optimist?

*** THREE DAYS LATER ***

User Image

The sun was just beginning to sink over the horizon as the autumn angel straightened up. The late day sun cast everything in a warm hued glow, reflecting particularly brightly off the scales of the two fish the angel had strung on a line. "Didn't really need two this evening...suppose I could cook one over the fire for tonight and set up the smoker for the other one," he mused to himself, moving to rinse his hands off in the irrigation pond before returning home. To his left, the water reeds swayed, whispering softly though no wind stirred. Frowning, Lugh turned looking first to the reeds, then out to his surroundings to see what he had missed in his distraction. After a moment, far beyond his fence line, he caught sight of a dark shape cresting a hill and descending into the grasslands. In the fading light, it was hard to make out a second shape beside it, but the movement was there.

He had straightened up, squinting in the fading light and watching for some time as the figures drew nearer. Finally, a spark of recognition flickered in his eyes as he watched the dark figure crossing the open field. "...or maybe I'll need both of these tonight after all...and perhaps something else to supplement," he chuckled, lifting the fish and heading towards his nearby home.

Was this it? Lahasha crested the hill, nearly holding her breath, but ready to be disappointed again by more unfamiliar spaces. She wasn't ready to admit she may have gotten just a tiny bit lost and wandered off track for about half a day, by her estimation. At least, she hoped that's all she was off by. The sun was going down and the growing dark was making her anxious. They would need to stop and make camp again soon if she continued leading them on some wild--

A brief sense of relief released the tension in her shoulders for a moment at least as she caught sight of the distant cultivated fields spreading out before them. Finally! It was still a bit of a walk, but at least the goal was finally in sight. As tired as she had been a moment ago, she pulled up the last reserve of energy to pick up the pace for this last stretch. "There it is!" she couldn't help but call to Avner, finally justified that she hadn't been leading them in circles after all. Or at least the circles finally lead here. She pushed forward, looking for any changes to the farm. Nothing too drastic that she saw, however, the entire farm seemed rather dark. Normally by now, there would have been at least a warm glow coming from the small cottage. She frowned to herself. What if Lugh wasn't here? Where would he be? What if he was gone? Who knew how long? What if this whole trip had been for nothing...?

Her fears were instantly dashed away as a torch flared to life on the edge of the property, shortly followed by a second. Two guiding lights on either side of the gate beckoned them in, as a dark winged figure moved briefly in front of one of the torches and raised an arm high to wave at them before turning back towards the cottage.

"Come on, Avner! We're almost there!"

Irish Night Fox

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:58 pm
Avner was past the stomach clench of hunger and was to the point where he felt nothing but nausea. It was a familiar place, but one that he had hoped he would never return to. Though it was uncomfortable, he took it as a reminder of why they were doing this. Never again did he want any of the others to be in this place. They'd work hard to spread their food out over the past few days and collect along the way, but with as much walking as they were doing it was hard to keep up without actively foraging- something that could extend their trip further than either of them would like. So, they pushed on.

Not once did Avner question Lahasha's directions. He followed willingly, knowing she was the only hope to find this character she had told him so much about. If she ever seemed unsure of herself, she was good at hiding it and Avner never asked. Instead he kept his eyes open for any possible danger, and attempted to keep a mental note of the landmarks they passed. If he or others ever needed to come back this way without her it would be good to know. He'd rather not think of any of them having to find their way home on their own, though it was a gently passing thought in a suspicious mind.

His feet took their time carrying him up yet another hill. He didn't know how far into the evening he could carry on. Perhaps they could turn in early and wake up early enough to do a bit of foraging this time. It would be better than being dead weights on their feet. He was so lost in his hungry thoughts that he almost crashed into Lahasha, instead fumbling a bit to turn around her and come up beside her. “It is?” he asked, surprising himself with the sound of relief in his own ears. This whole trip he'd dreaded this moment, but with their current situation it was almost a blessing.

Everything looked so dark, but he continued to follow Lahasha. His eyes scanned the area, attempting to catch anything that seemed off. His skin was crawling, but he wasn't picking anything up. Where was this other- ah! His eyes slid from the darkness towards a flicker of light. The being waved to them before starting his own course towards the cottage. Avner watched him, the darkness nibbling at the back of his mind. It wanted to race with all sorts of dark thoughts, but he pushed it aside. Not here. He needed to be clear minded and give them a chance.

There was something though, something that he didn't like. Why was it almost bothersome to him that Lahasha sounded happy about being here? It burned him slightly, but he decided to tuck that thought and feeling away for analyzing later. For now he needed to focus on the job they had come here for. The fellow had seemed inviting enough, so Avner took him up on it and walked through the gate and up the path towards the cottage. He let his wandering eyes not only seek out possible trouble, but take in the impressive living situation this other Pae had. Had he really built this all himself? How long had it taken him? Perhaps he would be able to help them if he himself was capable of such feats.

Avner turned his eyes back ahead and found himself at the cottage. He hesitated a second, looking back at Lahasha, before taking the last few steps forward in order to tap his knuckles against the door. He felt that prickling in the back of his mind, the edges of his eyesight going a bit black. He clenched his jaw and willed it away. No, not here. He had business at hand.

He'd save it for if anything went wrong.

Teigra

Irish Night Fox
Crew

Chatty Regular

Teigra
Crew

Shameless Shapeshifter

21,640 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 5:36 pm
By the time the Fallen neared the edge of the property, a soft warm glow emitting from the cottage had joined the twin torches in beckoning the weary travelers forward. There were few other lights in the area and the sun's light had faded beneath the far horizon. Natural instinct drew the travelers towards the light. Fear of the things that may lurk in the dark may have added haste to their steps.

Lahasha paused at the gate between the torches, staring out over the crops before proceeding. The plentiful bounty before them made their own attempts look even more pathetic in her eyes than before. All of this...for one Pae. And the lot of them couldn't even produce one measly berry bush from all their efforts. It would have been discouraging...had she any hope remaining before that they could possibly do anything remotely like this on their own. Either she had mis-remembered something or missed some detail...whatever it was, it would be her fault if she didn't find a way to fix things. She had given them hope of independence, only to rip it away with the obvious nature of the crops' failure.

No, no...this would fix it. Somehow, this journey...Lugh...would fix it.

Avner had kept moving and she hurried to catch up, joining him at the door as he knocked. A hint of anxiety suddenly gnawed at her belly. Even if he'd waved them in with the lights, what if Lugh turned them away upon finding out their intentions? Or maybe he'd just mistaken them for someone else at a distance. Perhaps he'd been expecting someone else. She took a deep breath, reminding herself that there was nothing to do about it now; they were already here. Nothing to do but go through with it and see how it played out.

Lugh had barely put the fish and some select vegetables in the kitchen and gotten the hearth fire lit when he heard the soft knock at the door. It seemed that way at least. Had he forgotten anything? Oh, right, answer the door. Of course. He had company so infrequently, he found himself just a touch flustered as he hurried to welcome his guests. He'd left the door unlatched and not fully closed, so only had to pull it slightly to open the portal into his home. A welcome sight greeted his eyes as the firelight from within spilled out the open door. "Lahasha!" he greeted the female with a smile, stepping forward and embracing her about the shoulders without a thought.

He felt her tense a moment later and berated himself internally. He released her hurriedly and stepped back, looking sheepish. "Oh, so sorry. I forgot myself for a moment. Forgive me. It's just...it's really good to see you again. I mean, when you left...and I hadn't heard anything else since then...I'd started to wonder..." He trailed off awkwardly, suddenly seeming to realize he'd ignored the second guest at his door.

"But, I suppose you succeeded in finding your kin, yes? That's wonderful news! Please, both of you, come in. Make yourselves at home. Dinner will be a little bit as I just got in, but it shouldn't take too long." He stepped back, holding the door open widely and gesturing inside like a good host. He kept a smile on his face, though his eyes subtly focused on the details as his guests crossed the threshold. They seemed worn...weary. And likely not eating well, as he saw telltale signs that Lahasha seemed in worse health than when she'd left...though not nearly so bad as when they'd first met.

Clearly, dinner was the first order of business.

Though she had tensed at the sudden contact, Lahasha quickly regained her composure. She was a bit surprised though by the enthusiasm Lugh displayed and puzzled over this for a moment. Had he...actually been worried? About her?

Why?

In response to his awkward apology, she managed to relax again somewhat and shook her head. "No, it's fine. And yes, I did. Lugh, this is Avner. Avner? This is Lugh." It was a formality really to introduce Lugh. Clearly that's who it was. Her eyes focused on Avner during the introductions, noting he seemed tense. It would take some time, clearly, before he would likely trust their welcoming host. It wasn't unexpected. It had taken her a long time as well, given where they came from.

In response to the welcoming gesture, she turned her eyes back into the cottage, filled with warm fire's light. Her eyes lingered a bit on how the flickering glow made the feathers of Lugh's wings shine before she turned to other familiar sights. Unconsciously, she relaxed further, stepping across the threshold. From the sound of it, soon the cottage would be filled with the delicious scents of cooking food and the fire and walls kept the darkness at bay.

It felt...safe here.

Irish Night Fox

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:54 pm
Avner stared at the grains running across the door's wood. As long as he focused the thoughts wouldn't run mad through his mind. It wasn't until Lahasha came up beside him that his eyes tore from their focus. His throat tightened a hair looking at her ragged face. They'd come so far, not just the pair of them on this journey but all of them. How could it now hang on this one interaction?

Was it relief he felt when the stranger opened the door? Fear? Anxiety? He wasn't accustomed to the wave of emotions that rolled over him. He couldn't quite pinpoint them, but some felt pleasant while others not so much. He'd tuck them away in his mind to analyze later, but for now he had to focus- except he was stepping towards Lahasha! Without a second thought his dagger was in one hand and he was stepping towards the male. Before he could truly react the other was pulling away looking a bit flustered himself. Curious reaction. Avner quickly slipped his weapon away attempting to conceal his laps in judgement. Guess he wasn't as in control of himself as he thought. When it came to Lahasha, to all of their people, he noted it seemed to happen to him.

Well, this one had a lot to say. Avner took the chance to size the other up, halting when his eyes landed on the other's wings. Again with the pricks of strange emotions. Why did he suddenly hate the other all while wanting to tuck his own misshapen ones away? He turned his eyes away from them hoping it would dispel the confusion they were creating, and glanced behind him instead. Was this his home? It was actually... comfortable looking. Then again what had he been expecting? It was just as Lahasha had told him.

When Lahasha introduced them, something came over Avner's features. His eyes snapped back to the other, attempting to erase any sort of struggle that had been going on in his head before. “Lugh.” he gave the other a bow of his head, “Lahasha has spoken a great deal about you,” he tried to keep the bitterness out of his voice, though uncertain as to why this unpleasant sensation was trickling over his mind. “and the way you helped her. Had you not done what you had done we would have lost an important piece to our society. I- we are in your debt.” It was hard to say, but it was the truth. They'd continue to be so lost, he was the only hope.

He followed Lahasha inside, trying to shove the feeling of containment down deep. He didin't want to be surrounded by the four walls of the stranger, but so far he'd seemed so different than, well than the others. Plus, his stomach was luring him in just as much as the need to find out more information from him was. Would they discuss matters first or eat? C'mon Avner, focus. Can't have your stomach lead you astray. Why was Lahasha looking at Lugh that way? Or was she looking at his wings?

“Ah, very impressive place you have here, Lugh.” Maybe taking a look around would distract him, and help him come up with some ideas for their own shelters back home. They definitely could use an upgrade after looking at this place.

Teigra

Irish Night Fox
Crew

Chatty Regular

Teigra
Crew

Shameless Shapeshifter

21,640 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:28 pm
The harvest angel stood aside like a good host as his guests entered, but his sharp eyes took in more than just their questionable conditions. When he'd moved to hug Lahasha, he'd noted a sudden movement from the other male, as if he'd been startled. He remembered from her first stay that Lahasha had been very easily spooked at first and that physical contact was not readily accepted; given where she'd come from, he'd soon understood why. However, her reactions had geared more towards flinching and cowering from his presence. Not aggression. Lahasha had obscured his view of the other male just now, but the sudden movement had seemed aggressive in nature, but when he'd parted from the female, all had seemingly returned to normal.

Something told him to casually be sure not to turn his back just yet and to be wary of spooking his new guests further.

Still, he said nothing, simply smiled calmly despite the slight twisting feeling in his stomach. "Please, have a seat and relax. My home is your home this evening." He moved to pull out the two chairs at the singular table. A brief look around would show that little had changed since Lahasha's last visit...meaning he still only had two chairs for the table. And not a lot of other furniture besides. Of course, it was a simple house and when it was just him, which was most of the time, it was more than adequate.

He was really not equipped for company. Perhaps, if this became more of a regular occurrence...?

"I caught a couple of fish earlier. I wasn't planning on company, but I think I have some extra vegetables in my stores to help pad the meal a bit. If you don't mind, I'll go ahead and start prepping that to cook."

Lahasha had spoken a great deal about him? All good things, I hope, he joked mentally. No, of course she would have told the others about what happened. Weighing his words carefully, he answered, "Really, it was the least I could do. I know that the world you came from was very different, but I didn't do so in order to collect any sort of debt in return. I was just glad that I wasn't too late to help."

Fish? That was a new sort of crop she wasn't familiar with. She wondered what that was and how one grew it. What did it taste like? Why did you have to catch it? Did it fall out of trees?

Lahasha paused in glancing around the cozy interior to move towards one of the offered chairs. She was pretty exhausted by this point and it would be nice to sit down for a bit, especially somewhere that wasn't the cold ground. She hadn't noticed Avner's startled reaction to Lugh's hug earlier, but she had noted how tense he seemed. It wasn't as if she wasn't anxious either, especially given the reason for their visit, but the promise of food and a safe place was going far to help her relax, if only a bit.

She wasn't quite expecting what came out of Avner's mouth though. He called her...an important piece of their society? Important? Her? Why? Since when? She supposed after a moment of thought that it could be seen that way. She had tried to lead the effort to grow proper crops. If it had actually worked though, maybe she'd have felt a bit more important than she did. She'd failed, which was why they were here. Once again, she was needing Lugh to help save her. Great job, Lahasha. As if she didn't owe him enough already. She had a running list in her head that she still felt she needed to repay.

Speaking of which...as tired as she was, she felt obligated to help with the meal prep. She'd done so while staying here before in an attempt to balance out her debt, and besides that, it felt strange for her to be doing nothing while someone else did all the work so that she could get fed. This world was still so strange at times. Standing again only moments after sitting down, she moved to follow Lugh, "Should I help?"

Impressive? This old place? Lugh smiled to himself while drawing a couple of cups of water for his guests from one of the urns in the kitchen. He didn't think it was all that impressive...kinda' shabby, especially if you asked someone from the City. He caught himself before he said anything though that could be taken as rude. They were new to the isle...they likely had little to call their own yet. His setup was probably just as 'impressive' as Avner said in their eyes. Sobered, he returned to set the cups on the table and simply answered humbly, "Thank you. I suppose it may not cater to some Pae's tastes, but I like it well enough. I've tried to make this little patch of earth my own."

"No, please sit-" he started to object before catching the frown Lahasha gave him in return. Of course, still stubborn about not allowing him to just take care of things for her. With a chuckle and a slight shake of his head, he headed back towards the kitchen with a dismissive wave of his hand. "Fine, but only if you insist. I've got some potatoes in here. You remember those? I'll draw some water if you want to give them a good scrubbing to get rid of the dirt." He could tell that Avner still seemed highly uncomfortable being here. Well, so had Lahasha initially. And now it was a relief to see her settling back in so easily. Rather than focusing too much attention on the wary male, Lugh hoped that leaving him be for a bit to ease into the environment might be the best way to handle things. Meanwhile, he was happy to focus on Lahasha instead. It was so good to see her again.

Nothing better to show how empty a home could feel than to suddenly fill it with others.

Irish Night Fox

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:21 pm
Avner couldn't deny this odd sensation he was experiencing. It was the same feeling he got seeing their group all well and together. Comfort. Though being in a confined area would usually send him off, the more he spoke with the other the more he felt his body relaxing and his guard slipping. He first saw it in Lahasha and it was starting to affect him. It might have also been the talk of food and the travel finally setting in, but whatever it was it was hitting him hard.

For all their sake he decided he'd have to settle himself down. He'd worked himself up to this point, assuming that the character they'd be meeting would be someone to be suspicious of. Well, he'd been wrong. It wasn't something he'd like to admit, but there it was. He sighed heavily as his eyes took in the comforts of home. Nothing stood out to him as something to be worried about. Had he really been expecting the absolute worse of this situation like that?

He felt the hollowness of his stomach once food was mentioned. He tried to keep the eagerness from his face, merely nodding at the other, “Yes, please allow us to assist you.” he paused a second, wondering if it would be something worth admitting or not. He supposed it would be a good place to start, allow him to ease into the feeling of revealing their situation to this stranger, “It would probably be good for us to learn, after all. These things are still foreign to us...” He really hoped this fish thing would be easy to work with. Maybe he could start with something he was a tiny bit more familiar with.

Avner watched him draw water from an urn. He couldn't help the fascination he felt. He was noting different things within this other's living that could really make life more convenient for them all. Even if this trip didn’t end up fruitful in the way of planting, perhaps as least they'd figure something out with their construction or even this fish thing. Even better than that, perhaps this one was knowledgable about other things native to this land they could rely on. There were so many ways for this to go wrong, but also ways to salvage it.

“Potatoes” Avner muttered under his breath. The word sounded familiar. Had it been one they'd tried planting? He moved closer to Lahasha in order to get a look at them. He remembered a few of the plants they had attempted, especially the raspberries and blueberries. They'd been his favorites when they had been foraging for them, the sweet bitterness had always been a treat. They'd even found some on their way here, but to actually have a patch of them they could call their own? Otherwise, Lahasha had really excelled at leading the planting effort. He was sure she not only recalled every crop planted, but where they were in the fields, their watering cycles, and how they were fairing.

It wasn't that he wasn't interested in the crops, they'd just fallen naturally into their respective assignments. It was taking all of their energies to keep things together and functioning on some kind of level that could pass for living. He wish he could be of more help to her, especially with such a critical thing for them. He kind of hoped this would help ease her burden, him tagging along with her on this journey and trying to be her support. He more so hoped Lugh would have good news for them.

He focused on the fallen beside him. What was it about this place that brought out this other side of her? Was it the chance to actually step away from work? Was she so hopeful in his help that she was actually able to relax a little? It couldn't be this stranger could it, and why, if that was true, would it bother him? If he thought of it logically it made sense, he'd been her savior of course she'd be this way around him. That was all, right?

She'd assured him many times over that this would be their best choice. Already speaking about new plants he'd never heard about brought him hope. Maybe this fish would be easier for them to manage. If he had a variety of vegetables at his disposal to offer them to eat tonight, well, that was reason enough to have hope, right?

“I'll, uh, help you scrub them?”
he offered Lahasha. He'd be on his best behavior now, he promised.

Teigra

Irish Night Fox
Crew

Chatty Regular

Teigra
Crew

Shameless Shapeshifter

21,640 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:09 am
Pleasantly surprised to hear Avner offer to help as well, Lugh chuckled and shrugged, answering, "Why not?" Meal preparation had started as an opportunity for further education during Lahasha's previous stay, but somehow, had always ended up making the task altogether more pleasant when shared. If it served the same purpose and helped put Avner more at ease, then Lugh was all for it.

Taking charge of the kitchen, Lugh set about the initial prep so he could put his new 'students' to work. A basin of water was drawn and set aside, then the angel disappeared into a small larder just off the kitchen area. He returned shortly with several potatoes which he set on the counter by the basin along with a couple of coarse-bristled brushes. Waving over the pair, he began his 'lesson', explaining, "These are potatoes. Remember these, Lahasha? They're a hearty root vegetable that grows underground. Very starchy and filling. Now, we're going to use the whole thing tonight, so we want to wash them and scrub the skins free of any remaining dirt. I'll show you what we'll do with them after they're all clean." Leaving the pair to their new task, he moved to gather a couple more supplies.

The angel was preoccupied for a moment lighting the fire for the wood-burning stove. A pot was filled with water and set on top to boil before he moved again to the larder. Lugh lifted the lid of a wooden bin containing dry rice, dipping up a couple of scoops into a bowl that he then set near the stove while waiting for the water to boil. Let's see...fish, rice, potatoes...perhaps a bit of an odd selection, but somehow, he figured his guests would likely not notice or mind. They looked like they could use a good hearty meal, so the extra starch might be a good idea in retrospect. They seemed exhausted as well; a little extra energy wouldn't go amiss. Perhaps he could check his fruit stores for a bit of dessert afterwards, just as a treat.

Lahasha was curious about Avner's offer to help with the meal prep at first. Wouldn't he rather rest a bit? Or at least keep his distance? He still seemed uncomfortable being here in Lugh's home. Of course, his explanation made perfect sense. They were here to learn. Might as well start with learning more about prepping the food after it was grown and harvested. Wouldn't do to ruin it after all the hard work of growing it.

She remembered what the potatoes were after seeing them again. That's right, she hadn't figured out how to get that one started growing yet, but she remembered them being a simple, filling food. It would be good if they could get a crop started. After listening to the instructions that seemed mostly geared towards Avner, Lahasha was relieved to hear that they wouldn't need to remove the skins of the potatoes. That made this simpler. Just clean them. Could do.

After Lugh stepped away, she reached for a potato and a brush. Dipping the vegetable in the water, she set about scrubbing the outside free of dirt, then glanced over to Avner. "Thank you." Even if she had initially offered to help, that didn't mean she didn't appreciate not having to do the work alone. Besides, it was also for the sake of learning. At least now she wouldn't be the sole one with knowledge of the bounties of this land.

And maybe it was for more thanks than that. Even if they hadn't yet raised the issue of what brought them here in the first place, already this seemed a more positive experience than she could have hoped for. At least, it wasn't going anything like some of the terrible outcomes she had begun dreading on the way here.

Having work to do with her hands was a welcome distraction and it wasn't really all that difficult work either. After a bit, her gaze wandered to track Lugh's movements through the kitchen, fascinated still by the routine task of prepping dinner. She supposed it was more the lingering novelty that they were prepping dinner for themselves. With the freedom to choose from foods grown by their own hands. Well, mostly by Lugh's hands, but...she'd helped some for a time at least.

Lugh poured the rice into the boiling water, stirred with a wooden spoon, then moved to his next task. The fish had been hung earlier near the pantry and he took those down, along with gathering a bucket and a cutting board to work with. The final step was retrieving his knife from a drawer containing the few fine tools he'd acquired in trade. He tried to be primarily self-sufficient, choosing to keep to himself for the most part here on his farm. There were just some things, however, that he couldn't make for himself. Like a fine, metal filet knife. For that, he'd had to pack some extra crops and go up to the City to trade. It was worth it, however, especially now that the pond seemed well-stocked with fish and ready to begin 'harvesting'.

He had laid the fish out on the cutting board and was about to begin cleaning them when he halted. How could he be so stupid? "I'm sorry, I didn't think to ask. Do you eat meat? I don't very often, but I forgot there are those who don't at all. If not, I can find something else to replace it." It wasn't a regular occurrence, but Lugh did enjoy a bit of fish or other meat now and again. He didn't recall having any while Lahasha had been there before as he had only recently started stocking the pond then. Well, some great host he was. Already he was running through his mind to recall what else he had in the larder if his guests didn't eat meat. He could always still put these in the smoker to preserve for later, he supposed.

Irish Night Fox

:[ The Fifth Age ]:

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces