User Image

Mng moved through the Kusini'Mwezi lands with a small sense of sadness itching at her stomach. Some days she felt that it might be in her best interest to move on from these lands, other days she wouldn't even consider an idea so ridiculous. Now that her cubs were grown again she felt like her meaning in life was once again gone, it was a feeling she didn't like very much. It wasn't just that she was unlucky where love was concerned but she'd also alienated herself from others, and now it was like she had not even one friend in her homelands. Her father was no longer around, her grandfather and grandmother had passed on… and her mother had disappeared a long time ago. Her brothers and sisters were doing their own things as was appropriate for lions and lionesses their age. She needed to find something to take the place of the emptiness that had filled her now that her babies were grown. She approached one of the large watering holes and smiled softly as she recognized the pelt of one of her sons, tail flicking. "Sakitu, it's good to see you. Where have you been lately?" When she reached him she nuzzled into his fluffy mane, moving to the edge of the water to get a drink.

User Image

Sakitu had seen his mother moving through the tall grasses long before she'd spotted him. He'd thought of maybe getting up and moving away before she reached the waterhole but figured that would have been much more work than just laying here lazily and dealing with her. His closed his eyes for a while, basking in the afternoon sun. It was hot, and he was feeling irritable. Probably not the best combination for dealing with his mother, but he'd handle it. He'd always felt a slight distance from his mother and his siblings, especially those that only carried his mother's half of his genes and not this mysterious father of his. Blue eyed and a pelt much too light to match any of them, he figured it wasn't from his father. Maybe from his side, but certainly not directly from him. His siblings were mostly dark pelted and dark eyed which made him think that was what his father looked like. In fact, he was sure his mother had mentioned it once or twice as they grew. She mentioned often that he was her special little odd ball and the older he got the less he appreciated it. Of course he was special, unique… but he wasn't odd. He detested that word choice, though telling her wouldn't do. He was her sweet little cub, a kind hearted lion in every sense. She didn't know of his malicious thoughts and as far as he was concerned she would never know, because that wouldn't do at all.

He yawned widely as she spoke to him, not moving as she nuzzled into him. He even managed to offer up a slight purr, reciprocating the gesture before she moved away. He opened his light colored eyes, watching her for a moment. He thought of how easy it would be to just get up and leave, ignoring her. "I've just been wandering the rogue lands you seem so fond of. Enjoying their beauty… different from here, like you've said." His words were cheerful, pleasant. Cheerfulness was most certainly expected in this sort of situation, so cheerfulness would be what he offered up.

The coffee pelted lioness took her time drinking, satisfying her thirst as she listened to Sakitu. She was pleased to hear he'd been exploring, curiosity was healthy. She turned and smiled brightly at him before moving to sit by his side, again nuzzling him. She missed her children being cubs… missed that she'd been away when they were young. She'd missed such an important part of their lives… but she'd been so heartbroken at the time. And then Vigo had come into her life… and just as soon he'd left it. Unlucky in love, she often thought. But she had the love of her children, that was what she would live for. "Oh? I hope you enjoyed yourself. Maybe we should go together some time, there are many spots I like very much. I think you'd enjoy them, Saki." Sometimes she found herself worrying about her lightest colored son, though she couldn't put her paw on why exactly. Maybe because he was alone so often. For all of his kindness and polite demeanor he offered others it seemed like he was always alone. And if he wasn't alone? Enya would be by his side. Still, Enya was the only sibling Saki seemed completely welcoming of spending time with. She wanted all of her cubs to feel close… at least those that had remained in her homelands.

It wasn't something she could force, of course, so some things just weren't meant to be. "In fact, I've been thinking of doing some traveling myself very soon. Life grows boring when you're stagnant for too long, don't you agree?" She laughed slightly, nudging him with a paw.

Sakitu resisted the urge of moving away from the lioness who had given birth to him, only half listening to her words. He wondered if her settling down next to him meant that she would spend a long time here, that this was one of those stupid feel good family interactions. He was already thinking up reasons of why and how he could cut the visit short. The politest way to get out of the situation, so he could remain seen as a nice lion. His mother was foolish, naive. "It would be nice to see the places you hold dear, mother. Yes, I'd like that." He was not expecting the follow up, the admittance that she wanted to leave the Kusini lands so soon. In reality there was absolutely no way he would spend so much time alone with his mother.

At her laughter he laughed too, playing along. "Either life grows boring or you grow fat, I agree." He twisted to look at her, smiling. "But after such a long trip myself… I am feeling quite lazy." He made himself sound disappointed, as though it was such a devastating thing that he was so tired from his travels. Too tired to travel with her, certainly.

Mng frowned slightly and started to groom her grown son. "My baby is tired from all his traveling… yes, understandable. You have to learn to pace yourself Saki!" She sighed slightly even so, maybe she should stay home. "When you were younger you wanted to travel all the time with me!" She added brightly, though that too was a sad memory. She should have brought them along, wouldn't that have been better?

Gods above his mother could be annoying! It wasn't her fault, really. Just about everyone in this godforsaken land was annoying. He was quiet for a long moment before he shifted and rolled onto his back, gently pushing her face with his paw. "How about you go this time and pick out the spots you'd like to bring me to, mother?" He smiled brightly, wishing this meeting would end soon. His facial muscles were going to be sore, at this point. "That way when we go it will all be planned out and we can focus on enjoying each other's company rather than where to go to next." Gods forbid… he'd throw himself into the river before actually going on a trip with her.

She was ecstatic when Sakitu offered up his suggestion, nodding along and laughing happily. "Oh my smart boy! Yes, that is a very good idea." She nuzzled down against his cheek, then started to stand and stretch out her limbs. "That is what we'll do. Perhaps a moon cycle from now? Maybe two. But if we will do that… I want to leave as soon as possible." Her paws were itching for the rogue lands, after all. For meaning, for something to do. "I will see you soon enough Sakitu, with a very good trip prepared for us. If you see any of your other siblings, ask them along." She would too, if she saw any in the next day or two before she left. "Be good my sweet son." And with that she was off, moving back the way she'd arrived.

Sakitu nodded along in all the right places, growing more excited as he realized the meeting was going to end soon. He would never actually invite any of his siblings along, even if he actually humored his mother and actually was thinking of coming along on her stupid little trip. "Of course mother, of course." He was just happy she was finally leaving… and even better, she was going to be leaving the lands for what sounded like a long while. He couldn't be happier. Maybe his mother would even find something out in the big wide world that called to her so strongly she wouldn't come back here... or maybe while she was out journeying he would take himself out of the lands, move on with his life. He was just so bored... something had to happen so he could be happier with his life!

Word count: 1542