User ImageUser Image

It was a beautiful evening with the azure sky streaked with shades of golden violet. The tall trees of the forest loomed above casting streaks of shadow on the soft moss covered ground below. Two figures stalked through the shadows seemingly an ideal pair as they moved in unison. The female at the front though had a grumpy expression cross her features as the male moved quietly behind her, “Can you stop walking so closely?” Her indigo gaze flashed as she leapt forward through the trees. Her tail waved behind her as if trying to push his scent away from her side.

“Why?” Kiernan leaned forward with his traditional smirk lightening up his features, “We’ve been so close most of the journey…”

Shyama flushed, “Only because we were in the cold north! It was for survival and nothing else!” Her ears pinned back as she moved forward. What was the guy thinking dragging her up to the north and then to hunt pelts with him for that colony? Oh here let me introduce you to someone…really Mihika? Why did you ask for me to put up with him? Her thoughtful expression flickered into a mask of surprise as a tail brushed across her cheek, “He-hey!”

“You weren’t focused at all there, Shy.” Laughing softly the male leopard danced back off through the trees as Shyama moved to smack him.

Chasing through the forest in the twilight was a beautiful feeling for Shyama. After countless nights of racing in the dark with her family, her grandmother Nia especially, she had come to love running through the shadows. Since leaving her home though she hadn’t gotten the chance to really chase another in the dark and for a second she could just imagine her family racing with her. Her gaze burned with tears at the thought and the image shattered around her. They’re not here…I left. Why did she choose to leave again?

Sure the adventure had been nice, but the feelings of home were gone.

She really was getting home sick then?

Or was it another feeling that was bothering her? The feeling of emptiness that she had whenever someone told her he was leaving soon….Shyama shook her head to clear it. I won’t let his decision ruin my mood! Though it already had. The whole reason she had become even grumpier lately and more closed off from Kiernan was that she was bracing herself for his departure. After all they had only planned to go through the northern part of the continent together. So why wasn’t she surprised that he wanted to go off on his own then? I was a fool. Kiernan was a free spirit…he didn’t want to tie himself down to any single soul like her after all.

Stumbling to a halt Shyama clawed the earth in frustration, “Kiernan.”

Swinging back around the male leopard frowned in confusion, “Yes?”

Alright moment of truth…taking a deep breath Shyama raised her gaze to meet his amber one, “I’m ready to go. We’re already at the forest so weren’t you going to head south now?” She paused as her tail swung behind her reflecting her indecision, “I should probably head back towards my home.”

After a moment’s hesitation Kiernan nodded, “If that’s what you want Shy.” Mihika had only told him to guard her while she ventured north with him after all. Though the male was really fond of her he wasn’t the type to push his way. After all there was no point in fighting with someone who didn’t want to love you right? Still he felt strange as he stared at her, “Should we separate here then?”

A twilight’s farewell…he really didn’t know how to feel about that.

“I suppose so then.” Shyama didn’t understand why it felt so strange to watch the other leopard turn away from her. They had only shared a bit of time together and it wasn’t like they weren’t strong on their own. She was used to being alone now.

“As you wish then.”

Watching him fade away sent a pain through her heart. So I guess that was that. Her paws felt heavy as she started continuing on. Even her head was low as she walked beneath the trees. Was it really that easy? I guess I really was just another leopardess to mess around with. Her vision was blurry and her paws misguided as she continued walking along.

It was a few days later that Shyama found herself remembering Kiernan again. The pain in her heart still hadn’t gone away and now she found that she was just roaming aimlessly. No hunt either had left her hungry yet her emptiness replaced the need for food at the same time. It was a deeper feeling that bothered her.

My head feels so heavy. Rains had begun to fall as well and she found that the ground was getting slicker. Eventually the dark leopardess came to a small cliff. But without paying attention to her footing she found that it was easy enough to slip. Over and over she kept slipping through the muddy path until eventually her legs completely gave out and she tumbled for real.

Something bumped into her and fixed her balance before she fell completely. Blinking slowly in surprise the sluggish female tried to focus on a pair of amber eyes, “Hey…hey!” Kiernan shook her gently before pushing her body under a tree for better shelter from the rain storm.

“I…I thought you were gone already.”

“Do you really think I wanted to leave you?”

“Huh?”

“Stop being an idiot.” He started to try cleaning her fur for her, “You’re stuck with me Shy.”

“I…”

“Shhh. You’re sick right now.” Seriously how long had she been wandering without eating and in this rain? He was thankful that he had decided to turn back around and find her. I’m sorry Shy I should have never left you in the first place. Cleaning her the leopard began to search around, “Maybe I can find some herbs…”

“Kiernan…” Fever hazed and weak the leopardess managed a rare smile, “Thank you.”

“Hey stop talking and rest up.” Nosing around in the temporary shelter he had found for them Kiernan started thinking. I know there’s a colony up ahead that I scouted out…should I go there until she recovers? It was for leopards after all and he felt like the place seemed decent enough. Surely that was a good idea then…

His thoughts dissolved when a warm paw touched the tip of his tail, “Kiernan…”

Blinking he looked back over towards the feverish leopardess, “Yes?”

“I love you. Don’t leave me ever again okay?”

Kiernan felt the air whoosh out of him in surprise, “I…I won’t.” His smile was warm and his gaze gentle as he nudged her, “Just rest up okay? Don’t you worry I’ll take care of you Shy.”

For now and forever, love.

((1152))