User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

The sun was at its zenith, and Rumi was resting under the trees to avoid its direct rays. Though it was winter, Rumi had developed a taste for the chill that settled on the North during the season. It meant a shift of the year, a celebration, a growth of the North. Her home. A soft breeze tussled with her fur, and she sighed. Everything seemed to happen quickly, but too slow at the same time. Sometimes, she wished that she had her family here to assist her. But were they really the same as her cubhood memories told her? She didn't even remember how she got separated from her parents, perhaps it was a rainstorm. Some sort of storm felt like the right disaster that drove her here. She wouldn't change it for anything, but sometimes she still wondered. Later today was going to be very important to her, and she wished she could ask someone about it.

A duel...

Rumi knew that she would be there. What she hadn't known at the start of her interaction with Tie Shi was that he was a captain. The captain, at the moment. How foolish and childish she must have seemed, talking to him like he was only a fellow North member! It only proved how little she paid attention to anything outside of her hunting duties.

And he was so handsome...but a little huntress like Rumi couldn't even dare to dream. No, not with so many of the Lord's sisters single. Power was important, and Rumi had none.

Still...he was awfully kind to her. She was intent on completing the duel, intent on seeing where it could take her. Rumi had too much of a fire in her heart to sit idly by and continue hunting. She was going to be an asset to the North, to the place she's called home since she was a lost little juvenile.

"Rumi....you're glowing!"

The brown lioness' thoughts were scattered as she hear someone else's voice.

"Really, I think you've lost yourself in the mountains of the North, if you're looking like that!" Laughter rang out, and Rumi was able to see just who it was that was teasing her. Jing Xue.

"You scared me," Rumi pouted, as Nyneve danced her way towards her friend. "I guess I have a long way to go before I can become a guard if you can sneak up on me."

A snort was her reply. "What, like that's supposed to be an insult? You're so caught up in your head that you're not paying attention, silly. You must tell me what it is, I've never seen you like this!" Rumi was always about work, and taking down another big kill. It was almost impossible to see her doing anything but that. So what was getting her so shook up...?

"W-well...I think I'm going to try out to be a guard. I don't think hunting is where I should stay." Which would mean less time to spend with Nyneve, but Rumi knew that she would still see her. It wasn't like she was leaving this place, just changing rank. A big rank to change, with room to grow but a lot of eyes to impress.

"I know," Nyneve winked. "I promise, not too many know. But you can't hide everything, and I heard about your run in with Huo Wuya. He could have sworn he saw someone else talk to you, but he isn't the type to snoop. Trying to be a good soldier."

Rumi just stared at her friend. "Huo Wuya? Wait...does that mean..."

"That I'm seeing him?" the white and blue lioness laughed. "Maybe. I hope. I don't know, its all so early on. I know he's older but...I can't help myself."

"Wow. Well I hope it works out for you." Rumi shifted a bit, considering Nyneve's words. She couldn't help herself in fancying Huo Wuya? Could that mean...that's how she felt towards Tie Shi?

Ugh, it was just too early to know. She'd only met him once, and only yesterday for goodness sakes! She would duel with him tonight, when the sun was setting. That was normal enough, a good time where duties would be calm and it would be easy for him to assist her in her possible transition from hunter to guard, and hopefully soldier.

"Thanks. I'm sure you'll bag someone soon, you're so adorable Rumi! Just don't scare any of them away with your obsession of being the best." Nyneve laughed. "Though, perhaps a true guy would be impressed. You're one of the few insane enough to go boar hunting on your own. I'm surprised you don't have any large scars from any of those hunts."

Rumi looked down at herself, seeing the tiniest of silver markings on her legs. "Yeah, you're right." Injuries came with the job, but she never really thought about the lack of her scars. "I guess I heal well?"

"All the better! I'll see you around, and don't get yourself too wrapped up in this guard duty. Make sure you listen to your commanding officer and not run off and be brave over nothing." With a nod, Nyneve turned and left Rumi on her own, the soft breeze still swaying the trees around her.

"So it just sort of happens?" Rumi wasn't sure what to think of that. It was only one meeting. Perhaps she'd get a better idea of how she really felt once she saw him later tonight. Hopefully he'd be kind to her, like she had seen him be yesterday. Hopefully she would actually impress him, and get a head start on her guard duties. He seemed like the best one to work with at the moment, since it seemed like the higher ups were more concerned about the Lord and his problems than the guards and soldiers that were just trying to do their jobs. Hopefully...

Hopefully she wouldn't trip on her own feet, hurt herself, and become a complete embarrassment of herself. She'd never been clumsy, and tonight was not that night to begin.

(1,013 words)

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.