Kabi missed Kankri.

The brown lioness thoughht this as she pawed in circles, frowning and followed long-forgotten paths and routes. It hunted her in her sleep and she walked out in sunlight once to look for him - ignoring the pain of brightness and burn of the sun. She began to spend her waking moments looking and searching, and failure was beginning to drive home her fear he was gone for good.

And Kabi was mortified at failure. For all she knew her friend had a mate and ubs, and she would never see him because she was too late. Kabi's heart ached immediately at this thought, and the female grimaced as she pad along, trembling. If it weren't for her responsibilities to her pride, she would look all night, and perhaps not eat nor drink. She had to do something. She had to look.

Every fleck or red spark gave pause to look, but tonight one spectacular failure seemed to nibble the lioness the wrong way, and she dropped, paws covering her face to hide it as she whimpered, trembling. Kankri was simply gone. She couldn't escape it.

The two-legs that scattered them were frightening. Kankri shivered every time he thought of them and the whispers of the Sufferer in his head had turned from objecting to the injustices of the pride he was born to, to assurances and soft gentle words. Still, one face from cubhood stood out, soft and attentive and despite not always listening, she smiled easily and he found himself drawn to caring. But before he could approach, they'd scattered, and now he was lonely and lost and all he wanted was a lady, so he could curl in her and hide. Not any, however.

Kankri missed Kabi and it was evident the night his demon called him on it. While less 'forwqard thinking' than he was, Kabi seemed to make friends easily, seemed to smile easily, even with a rough sister.

He just wanted her okay, and her soft, gentle face would be welcome to tired, wandering paws. Tonight he found himself some hope - the warm glow of the active volcano was clear and he could smell scents he knew - he was on the borders, and Kankri smiled softly, moving along the old path before pausing and looking out at a small brown form curled near a pool of water, a common pride drinking space, and paused.

His ears perked and his brows lifted in hope, the male creeping near before nosing her softly - a small brown lioness curtled up miserably, and she jumped.

"Kabi?"

The voice was unfamiliar from the change of age and Kabi had to look at his face before jumping to her paws, eyes wide in awe.

"Kankri?" She said softly. He smiled then, soft and awkward, and Kabi squealed, pouncing to headbutt and rub against him, the male brightening and beginning to rub against her, too. Loud purring began between the pair as they nuzzled, rubbing against one another warmly and softly, and the lioness beamed and leaned on the larger male, whom rewarded her with grooming and tended kisses. Kabi nuzzled into him, feeling mane and fur under her cheek and shut her eyes tightly, cuddling close as she choked back a sob, Kankri responding by nuzzling her with a purr.

"I thought you moved on." Kabi whimpered. Kankri rumbled softly, contrasting his loud, chattery youth.

"No. No, just a little lost, I'm here. I thought you were gone too." The male said softly, then studied her.

"So... Where...?"

"Healing. A lot returned. A lot... Lef. Some of the Peponi joined us." She glanced up to Kankri.

"How about you?"

To that, Kankri chuckled, sighing.

"Oh, you know... I'm okay. Sufferer's been looking after m" He chuckled. Kabi smiled, nuzzling him. "I'm glad. So... Do....?"

"Hmm? Oh, you mean a mate?" Suddenly, Kankri felt awkward and shy, grinning. "No, not at all, really. Haven't looked."

Kankri shook his head, smiling and licking her ear.

"Besides, I missed someone."

Kabi blinked, suddenly smiling shyly before licking his cheek with a smile, and Kankri purred, nuzzling her softly. After a moment, sher rest her head on his shoulders, and the male smiled, cuddling in close before nosing her to lie down by him, the female acquiescing and cuddling up close.

"So... Does your mother still keep slaves?" Kankri asked cautiously.

"Mmm." Kabi nodded, resting her head on his paws. "She does, but they changed how they're kept... They're not... Abused now. They aren't things. They can stay safe and grow, and some demons do it to offer a home." She said.

A deal with a devil.

Still, Kabi seemed quiet and Kankri nosed her gently, the female sighing.

"Mama gave me some Sador recently." She admitted. Kankri had to guess the context, before looking worried, nuzzling her. Kabi wasn't against sador, or slqvery, but she was gentle and kind and seemed uncomfortable ordering anyone. They disagreed on their existance, but he understood why. Still, the development was troubling, and he leaned on her gently.

"They're a distant cousin and her mate, but I don't make them do anything. Nova's been hunting, though." Kabi admitted. Kankri blinked, nodding curiously.

"Do others treat them poorly?" He fret. Kabi blinked.

"No, they're not - allowed. Mama's made it clear they're mine exclusively." Then came the pause, and Kankri fret.

"Mama said it'll protect them. Nova's mate is a pridal lion, but... They were hurt by a pride with exile. So... Noh brought them in to help them."

Kankri raised a brow, but nodded. Maybe this was good? Sufferer seemed curious, thinking aloud before murmuring understanding was best. In a pride of anger caring for those in need was good. Very good.

"It's good to protect family. And..." Kankri nuzzled her. "I know you'll care for them. Their cubs, too." Kankri purred, tail curling around them both, and Kabi purred, leaning.

"I hope so. I really do. I just want them okay. Safe. They're both so pale though... I'm scared they might be taken advantage of."

Kankri nodded, and sighed softly, licking Kabi's ear softly.

"You will." He purred. "I'll help you... I promise. I won't - leave you again." Kankri rest his head on her shoulders softly, and Kabi choked out a sob, burying her face in his forelegs as he began to purr soothingly, resting his own head across her shoulders as he settled in to comfort her. It weasn't long, however, before the crying gave way to a soft, slow sleep, and Kankri smiled, grooming her cheeks.

"Good night, Kabi." He whispered, before laying his head on her again, eyes slowly closing as he simply enjoyed her company, before he fell asleep.