The storm raged on through the night, but the two inside the tree didn't pay it much mind at all. They were far more occupied doing other things. Dawn broke and saw the last of the rain leave, the sky clearing and turning a lovely pink and red as the massive sun rose from the horizon. Birds emerged from their hiding places and began to sing, smaller creatures came out of their dens and burrows to enjoy the puddles, and plants seemed a bit more green than usual as they drank the precious water. Thunderstorms during the dry season were something to cherish after all.

It wasn't until the sun had climbed up from the ground that the two felines emerged from the hollowed tree. Both were a little damp - the tree wasn't completely waterproof - but had a content look to them, as if they had slept the entire night as dry and warm as could be. Mez shook himself to get any excess water out of his fur, which in turn made his mane and tail fluff up even more than normal. The sight made Wing laugh, which in turn caused the leopon to smile. They hadn't known one another very long, but it was the first time he had heard the cheetah laugh as openly and genuinely as that.

"Is it really that bad?" he asked, moving to a larger puddle to look at his reflection. Indeed, he could see why Wing had started to chuckle. "Oh my...it really is," he said, lifting a paw to try to pat the larger spikes and heavier fluff into place.

Wing, her own mane a bit soggy, shook her head and moved forward. "It's not bad at all. It's very cute," she said shyly, reaching up with her own smaller paw to fluff his fur back up. She only paused when she noticed the bright, golden eyes of the leopon looking at her fondly, and she quickly retracted her touch. "Sorry," she said with a weak smile. "You can do with it as you please.'

"Oh! No, that's not what-" It was Mez's turn to laugh now, and he laid down on his belly despite the wet ground, looking up at the cheetah with a fond grin. "If it makes you happy, please. Style it however you'd like." He was over the moon when Wing finally moved forward, sitting beside him to start mussing his fur back up. She stayed focused on his mane for the most part, letting the natural spikes grown in volume thanks to the previous night's rain.

"You'd be a wonderful father, you know," Wing mentioned as she moved on to fluff his fur along his back, making a little mo-hawk that ran from where his mane ended, down his spine, and to his tail. "I could see little balls of fluff crawling all over you."

Mez chuckled softly and nodded. "I do love cubs," he said enthusiastically. "Unfortunately, like most of my kind I can't have children by birth. But adoption is never out of the question." There were prides that turned away certain cubs, after all. He would be more than happy to pick them up and call them his own. Of course, he was such a cub at heart that he wondered if he'd be able to parent properly.

Wing nodded sympathetically as she moved to start on his tail, making little swirls here and there. Her deceased son had had a horrible cowlick right on top of his head, and she missed stroking the swirled fur as he had slept. She was glad to find that it didn't feel like a massive elephant had gored her though her chest as she thought about him. Perhaps Mez was right...their talking of children had made her realize that, while her son was gone, there was nothing to say that she couldn't have more. He would always be a part of her and she would love him dearly, but she couldn't stand to be alone.

"Well...I'm sure that any cub that is lucky enough to call you father would grow up to be one heck of a lion. Or...whatever you took under you wing," she said with a tiny smile. "Besides, you wouldn't have to go it alone. I'm sure there's plenty of nice girls back in your pride that would help you."

Mez nodded, his thoughts instantly going to his mate. He missed her dearly and couldn't wait to get back to see her, but he knew he had a job to do first. "There's lots of nice girls, but I'm afraid I'm a bit too childish for some of them," he said with a little sigh. "But, never fear! I won't be alone when I go home."

"Good," Wing said seriously, finally sitting back from her work. Mez was now even fluffier than before. "You deserve happiness, Mez. You really helped pull me out of this last bit of...whatever I was in. This funk. You made me smile and laugh again...and I thank you dearly for that." She bumped her head against Mez's and he returned the gesture, glad he had made a new friend.

"I should probably return," the cheetah said, glancing over her shoulder. "That storm was pretty bad...there might have been more mudslides. Hopefully not, but it's always best to check." Looking back at Mez, she gave him a little smile. "Thank you again, Mezlijin. I owe y-"

"No you don't," Mez said as he stood. "You don't owe me one thing, unless that thing is to promise to keep smiling. You're beautiful when you smile."

Wing nodded, ducking her head as she grinned. "Thank you," she said softly, moving forward to nuzzle her head against Mez's chest. "Well...take care in your travels. You're always welcome to visit whenever you please." She turned after that, setting her paws in the direction of her pride.

"I may take you up on that offer," Mez returned as he headed off for his own, a huge grin on his face. He was glad he had been able to help.

FIN
WC: 1023