Welcome to Gaia! ::

River of Polls : A GUILD OF RANDOMNESS AND EVERYTHING!!!!!!!

Back to Guilds

A random-based guild in which you may literally spam, chat, and do whatever you want. (Just follow the TOS and have fun!!!) 

Tags: Spam, Polls, Chat, Everything, Hangout, Role-playing, Role, Play, Word, Games, Quizzes, Discussion, Friends, Roleplay 

Reply River of Polls
Changin' the title of this thread: Surgery! Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

I don't understand how the world is set up some times.
o3o
100%
 100%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 7

Semok

Fuzzy Lunatic

21,900 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Threadmaster 200
  • Conventioneer 300
PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:04 pm
So I have an appointment with a surgeon on Monday to hopefully finally schedule a double mastectomy, but I'm very nervous, because there are a lot of unknowns as well as a lot of things that could go wrong.

A little background history. My mom has had breast cancer. My aunt, on my mom's side, has had breast cancer and colon cancer, and has been told that the next time she has cancer, it will kill her. My grandmother, also on my mom's side, had breast cancer, skin cancer, I believe stomach cancer, and then recently died of brain cancer. My mother's side of the family is of Ashkenazi decent, which is known for carrying and passing on the gene that causes breast and ovarian cancer. I also have a few genetic defects that have been passed down to me from my mother's side, such as my white streak.

I have been to a surgeon before and have been told that I have an 85% chance of getting cancer before the age of 50. Unfortunately, my parents blackmailed me out of getting the surgery, which I was approved for, because I am also transgendered, and they believe that my only reason for wanting the surgery was so I could look more like a man.

It has been a few years since I had to cancel the surgery, and the surgeon, unfortunately, died in a boat accident. So on Monday, I go to a new surgeon to see if I can get approved again. I lost my health insurance in a year, so this is my last chance. This is all that can go wrong:

1. I could not be approved for the surgery (very unlikely, though).
2. My insurance company could no longer cover it.
3. My insurance could cover it, but not enough for me to be able to afford it (being unemployed, I am on a very tight budget)
4. My parents could find out and blackmail me again (since I am technically on their health insurance)
5. Like the last time, the surgeon and insurance company could be unable to give me an accurate estimate on how much it will cost, forcing me to take a very huge risk to have surgery I can't afford

The thing that terrifies me the most, and is very wrong, is the fact that I probably won't be able to find out how much it will cost until after I've had the surgery. From what I've read, this is usually the case when you have surgery, and you only get a rough estimate that really could be very inaccurate, and you don't know how much it costs until they send you a bill.

But yeah. I'm very nervous about Monday and what'll happen. I'm so tired of being terrified of cancer, and I feel like this is my last chance.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:06 am
Lets hope it goes well for you Semok.  

cool4
Captain

Buggy Glitch

Kitalpha Hart

Feline Phantom

9,500 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Cool Cat 500
  • Partygoer 500
PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:54 pm
Good luck  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:13 pm
Kitalpha Hart
Good luck

FantasyKitty

Gracious Hunter

9,200 Points
  • Happy Holidays 2k13! 100
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Caroling Champ 100

Semok

Fuzzy Lunatic

21,900 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Threadmaster 200
  • Conventioneer 300
PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:05 am
Alright, still have about 5 hours until the appointment, but I went and called my insurance company and found out that the procedure is still covered by my insurance, so that's a bit of a relief.

Also, as I had expected (if covered), my insurance would cover 85% of the cost, meaning that I would be responsible for 15% of the cost (plus some $350 deductible thing).

Once I go to the surgeon, and if I get approved to have the surgery, I then just need the procedure code. I then call my insurance back, give them the code, and they can tell me how much the surgeon would be billing, to which I just do 15% of that, add $350, and I'll know the cost.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:21 pm
And close to nothin' has been resolved. I should know more tomorrow...hopefully.  

Semok

Fuzzy Lunatic

21,900 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Threadmaster 200
  • Conventioneer 300

Semok

Fuzzy Lunatic

21,900 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Threadmaster 200
  • Conventioneer 300
PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:06 pm
Alright. Just had a ton of calls with a ton of people. Ok, so when you get surgery done there are three fees. One for the surgeon, one for the hospital, and one for the anesthesiologist. The anesthesiologist wasn't in today, so I don't know that fee, but usually it's a few hundred, from what I've read, before insurance covers some of it, so that shouldn't be a huge fee.

The hospital will charge about $12,000, and the surgeon is charging about $2000.

With my insurance covering 85%, and my $350 deductible, I'll have to pay roughly...a little bit over $2000. Chances are, with the anesthesiologist, it'll be around $2500 in total.

My budget was about $2000, though I am also asking for money for my birthday, so that would possibly give me a little more.

So with the estimate, I should be able to afford the surgery!

However, the surgeon wants me to get genetic testing, which my insurance covers, but it takes like 2 weeks. One worry is that I test negative for the gene, which is good news, but I would still be worried because of my family history, and with testing negative, my insurance might no longer cover my surgery, and I'd be screwed.

My test results would also be sent to my family, who I don't want knowing about my surgery until it's over with.

The surgeon isn't in today, but I will be talking with him, and the anesthesiologist, tomorrow.

One more day of waitin', but at least I know more now, and it looks like I'll be able to get it done.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:01 pm
Your test results shouldn't get sent to your family assuming you're a competent person.

Though that's Canadian law.  

cool4
Captain

Buggy Glitch

Dannyxcores
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:22 pm
Good lucks.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:47 pm
cool4
Your test results shouldn't get sent to your family assuming you're a competent person.

I'm under my father's insurance, so all bills and results get sent to him.  

Semok

Fuzzy Lunatic

21,900 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Threadmaster 200
  • Conventioneer 300

cool4
Captain

Buggy Glitch

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:07 pm
Semok
cool4

I'm under my father's insurance, so all bills and results get sent to him.

well lets hope it all works out.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:40 am
Alright, I talked to the receptionist and anesthesiologist and insurance company.

With the estimates I was given, the cost for everything should be around $2220, which is $220 over my budget, but, as mentioned, I'm hopin' to get a little bit of money for my birthday, and can afford to go a little bit over, so I will be able to afford it.

The surgeon's receptionist also said that I don't have to do the genetic testing if I don't want to, and I can't be rejected for the surgery if it's something I want. The genetic testing was just something the surgeon recommended, but it isn't mandatory. I meet with him again on the 17th of February, to which I can then talk in more detail about the surgery and hopefully get it scheduled.

So it looks like everything is a go, and I will be able to get it done. Obnoxious that I have to wait a bit, still, to know for sure, but things are looking up.  

Semok

Fuzzy Lunatic

21,900 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Threadmaster 200
  • Conventioneer 300

Semok

Fuzzy Lunatic

21,900 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Threadmaster 200
  • Conventioneer 300
PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:59 pm
Bit of an update, because I can.

Since I'm not getting the genetic testing, I've been rescheduled to talk to the surgeon this comin' Friday.

Also, from my first visit, a statement from my insurance company was already sent to my parents. When my mom asked me about it, I lied and said I was getting my toe fungus looked at. However, right after hangin' up with her, I felt awful about lyin', so I called her right back and told her my plans.

Unfortunately, she had to go pick up my dad at the bus station, and she said she'd talk to me when she gets back. I am terrified.  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:04 pm
Alright. We talked and my mom is alright with me getting the mastectomy, she just wants me to not schedule it until she's back from Florida so she can be there when I get it done.

She also doesn't want me to get some of the lymph nodes taken out around my armpit, which is what can be done, because she worries that that can affect my health.  

Semok

Fuzzy Lunatic

21,900 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Threadmaster 200
  • Conventioneer 300

Recyclable Raccoon

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:08 am
Yikes. I am talking to my doctor about this same thing next time I see her. Breast cancer runs in my dad's side of the family, so I figure it's better to get it checked out now. I am really worried that I will get it when I'm in my early 40s, like my relatives all did.

I'm glad your mom is being support about it now! This is scary s**t and probably painful recovery to go through alone.  
River of Polls

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff