Welcome to Gaia! ::

.:. Shadows of Africa - Moving! .:.

Back to Guilds

Reply [IC] Rogue Lands [IC]
[PRP] A Brush With Fate (Boyko/Yuda x Mamake/Beltaine) Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Neon Fly

Tipsy Hellraiser

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 7:10 pm
User Image
A faintly sighing breath escaped the middle-aged doe before she could help herself, gaze intent upon the lioness balled up beside her under what little cover they could find the night before. Life had often seemed challenging in the past, as a waterbuck raising a lion cub could likely expect nothing less, yet Mamake had been foolish enough to think that the worst of their troubles were behind them now that her daughter was--relatively speaking--full grown. In what felt like the blink of an eye, their entire world had been turned on it's head, the pride that they had become familiar with had withered and died, leaving many homeless. After Matifu's death, the cream colored doe had hoped that the unity and comfort of the Dawnwalkers would soothe the ache of Beltaine's broken heart. Apparently the gods enjoyed seeing their misfortune.

The rogue lands seemed far more hostile the second time around, not so much for Mamake as for her child. Bel had been very young when they had come to the Tuait'tekem and though she had learned the basics of being a lioness, there was much of the world the pride had protected her from. An artist at heart, the young female had never made a particularly good hunter. For all her effort to provide the orphaned cub with all the necessities of survival, Mamake couldn't help the overwhelming sense of failure and guilt.

Gently dipping her head to nose the soft fur of one warm cheek, the doe left her sleeping daughter to graze in the early morning light, by the time the sun had finally risen over the crest of the horizon Beltaine would be awake and it would be time to continue their aimless journey before the midday heat. A shadow of old times, for Bel was hardly the cautious, if energetic, infant she once was. Long legs carried the wary mother across the tall grass of the plains, ignoring the wide berth other prey beasts gave her. To them, a stranger that smelled of lion could hardly be trusted and Mamake couldn't blame them. Once upon a time, she would have reacted the same way. The thought of just how long ago made her feel rather old, a soft sound of amusement filling her nostrils.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 6:28 pm
User Image

With a grunt, the aging buck shook himself of anything that might have clung to his fur before stretching out his legs with a sleepy yawn. His pale eyes glanced over at the large lion stretched out beside him, he snorted with a faint grin as he eyed his companion. They'd been together since Yuda had barely a tuff to call a mane, and now he was no young chicken! His ears twitched to the sounds that fell around them, nothing called alert to the warrior's senses and all seemed well, life had not been kind to Yuda and Boyko could give no reasons for the gods cruel sense of things.

But looking upon him now, Boyko didnt see the sadness that affected his Yuda, none of the shame, none of the hurt and pain, he saw the lines smooth out around his face, giving him a happy, youthful look once more. This is what kept Boyko's spirits high that one day things would be different for them.

With a nod of his head, the buck turned away and found himself in the mood for a little breakfast, living with someone whose diet consisted of mostly meat left the buck to forge for himself, and as he moved through the grasses, it seemed like the perfect time to find some chow.

Ovarian Paint

Bashful Shapeshifter

Neon Fly

Tipsy Hellraiser

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 7:01 pm
Being outside the Dawnwalkers was a strange experience, it had been a long time since last Mamake had need to keep one eye on her surroundings while she grazed, though the instinct to be watchful remained an intact instinct that even a long stint in a lion pride couldn't remove. There was a double-sided sort of situation that came with it, while there was a fresh need to remember caution in these unclaimed lands, there were also fewer predatory eyes watching her rump as well. Lions would be lions and no matter how much she may have loved Beltaine, living amongst strangers had often been a disconcerting affair.

What do I do now...? As if hoping an answer might come from above, her soft, rose petal gaze lifted to the endless sky overhead, still threaded with fibers of darkness from the night before even as the brilliant blue began to consume every inch of the sky. For whatever reason, the wise spirits offered no council this morning, remaining as silent as the stars much to Mamake's dismay. Well thanks for nothing..

Sniffing sarcastically, the doe leveled her gaze to the plains again, forcing her chin high and proud despite whatever anxiety might have decided to nest in the heart of her chest. They would be okay, if she just kept telling herself that, it was bound to turn out to be true, right? Maybe I should--

But whatever the waterbuck should have done, the thought was lost, when she distractedly bumped into a dark figure grazing in the tall grass. Nimbly leaping sideways in surprise, it would be just Make's rotten luck to stumble right into a predator waiting to trip her up. Oh!

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 7:29 pm
"What in the --?!" Words, just fell from the bucks mouth, he had been in good meditation, and had found a sweet patch of grass to graze upon until something...someone! Had bumped right into him, with a snort and a shake of his head he lowered his horns.

It would be an unwise predator to try and gooble up this beast, he thought with a snort, his pale lavender eyes firey as he looked around to the who would be beast. When his gaze fell onto the sandy colored doe with rose colored eyes, his whole body seemed to freeze, to stiffen up as he simply stared at her.

Ovarian Paint

Bashful Shapeshifter

Neon Fly

Tipsy Hellraiser

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 9:32 pm
Every inch of the beige doe quivered with tension, ready to bolt at the first sign of danger, though her eyes were slow to process the the shape at first. Confused by the defensive posture, Mamake was slow to realize the distinct curve of male waterbuck horns protruding from the lowered head. It had been so long since the last time she'd see one of her own that it took an embarrassingly long time to realize just what she was staring at. Even as recognition dawned in her, she remained wary, backing up another step at his aggressive stance, trying to decide exactly how to respond. In her youth Make would have played up her beauty and looked down her nose at this male. Poised herself prettily and watched in mocking amusement as he fell all over himself to impress her.

She was too old for such silly games now, gently bowing her head in apology. Forgive me..

Breathing the words gingerly, a carefully placed hoof was hazarded towards a path around the buck, hoping to avoid any unnecessary trouble.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 9:50 pm
He jerked back, shaking his head. "Forgive me..I didnt mean to scare you, or well...stay like that." He almost stumbled over his words, to long had he been in the world of lions. Specially when the sight of a doe tripped him up in such a way!

"Boyko." He offered his name with a light jerk of his head, he shifted on his hooves, how out of touch he was interacting with one of his own kind! He knew that if Yuda saw him now, he'd be chuckling at the sight.

Ovarian Paint

Bashful Shapeshifter

Neon Fly

Tipsy Hellraiser

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 10:05 pm
I don't think there's anything to forgive, but.. no harm done. With a bubbling amusement on the edge of her voice, Mamake bowed her head to him again. In the tall summer grass, the reeds threatened to snare around her legs as she continued to pick a steady path out of the male's way. Drawing up a single leg in mid stride as her buff laced tail flicked against her hocks, a questioning sort of stare had her head tilting in bemusement. The name didn't register, at least not right away, not when it had been years since last she'd seen another waterbuck or conversed with another grazing beast without some sort of underlying judgmental agenda being involved. P-pardon?  
PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 5:21 pm
"My name..its Boyko.." He said with a half grin, he was going to start to laugh at himself soon. "Sorry, its been longer than I want to admit since Ive talked with another waterbuck." He had to be honest, it was his way, he generally didnt dance around the bush or anything and was more often than naught rather...blunt.  

Ovarian Paint

Bashful Shapeshifter

Neon Fly

Tipsy Hellraiser

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 5:52 pm
Oh.. oh! Another half moment of embarrassing blankness crossed her face before it dawned on her that he was introducing himself. Inhaling a sharp sound of surprise, Mamake blushed beneath her fur and finally nodded her understanding. Despite her intentions to graze quickly and return to her daughter the doe found herself planting her raised hoof, lingering as her gaze discreetly examined the rich, dark color of the handsome buck. She found it hard to believe that his confession wasn't just a line he used when he thought the opportunity for a little fun chanced by, expression stating as much as she raised a brow, her smile incredulous, but still warm. That seems an unfortunate loss for us does..

Mamake almost immediately regretted her words, feeling them edge uncomfortably close to flirtation. Yes, he was handsome and it was only natural to feel some flutter of attraction after living in isolation for so long, but she wasn't about to make a fool of herself. Her days of courtship and fawns were long over... weren't they? I'm Mamake..

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 6:21 pm
Her words made him slack jawed, was that...flirting?! Oh he could remember the last time a doe had flirted with him, surely he wasnt that old now was he? Yes he seemed to be getting there didnt he.

He smiled charmingly at her, "Well I.." He stumbled with his words once more, yes somewhere Yuda would be laughing his tail off right now, he thought with a smirk.

"Mamake, thats a very beautiful name, it fits you well." He tried his best to find some sort of charming thing to say, but he was most likely failing. "Sorry for my awkwardness, its been quiet sometime since I've been in the presence of someone so..beautiful."

Ovarian Paint

Bashful Shapeshifter

Neon Fly

Tipsy Hellraiser

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 7:03 pm
I'm Mamake..Watching his expression change so drastically suddenly made the waterbuck uncertain of herself, shifting her weight repeatedly as her gaze avoided his disarming smile. There was something genuine about his ungainly manner, he seemed as out of touch with how to socialize with one of his own as she was. Maybe he hadn't been bluffing when he'd said it'd been a while.

Of course, suave or bumbling, the attention felt good just the same, enough so that she felt guilty for enjoying his company. Staring down into the grass with a soft sound of amusement, Yes.. I suppose it does.

In denial, Mamake shook her head, he wasn't awkward or at least no more awkward than she was which made them a rather suitable pair, didn't it? But beautiful? Her coat was still dusty from the sand stirred winds of the Dawnwalker lands and in desperate need of grooming. She was a disheveled mess no matter how she looked at herself. You're too kind really.. my coat's so dirty, I'm certain I could be easily mistaken for a dust bunny..

With every effort not to fuss over it self consciously in front of him Make settled for shifting her weight again, almost dancing in place. A quiver with nerves. But thank you..it feels like ages since last a handsome buck paid me any mind...

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:47 pm
"Handsome?" He snorted, he was anything but handsome! An aging body riddled with scars, that was no where near being handsome. "And now its you who is being too kind, to kind indeed!" He smiled.

"If you look like a dust bunny, than I look like something that bunny has stepped in and it isnt pretty." He nodded his head, firm in his belief. "Where is your herd?" He finally asked, glancing around, shouldnt she be part of a herd, happily tending to foals with her mate?

Ovarian Paint

Bashful Shapeshifter

Neon Fly

Tipsy Hellraiser

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:18 pm
Laughing at the less than appealing comparison with a crinkle of her nose. Mamake gave the buck a second, lingering glance. Quietly taking in the sobering scars that traced across his frame, he had seen enough battle for several Waterbucks by the looks of it, but the idea of it wasn't off putting. It proved he was strong and intelligent and a survivor, all admirable traits.

Herd? Shaking off her straying thoughts Mamake considered the question urgently. What to say? How much to reveal? She had to wonder. Despite whatever scent she carried he had treated her no differently than he would have any other doe, or so it seemed at least. Still, explaining her relationship with Beltaine was complicated. It was easier to keep answers simple. I haven't traveled with a herd in a long time. My daughter and I.. we tend to travel alone. What about you?

Mamake changed the subject in a hurry, hoping Boyko wouldn't notice. You must have some very pretty does to defend to have earned so many scars.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:16 pm
Ah! She did have a mate, and a daughter...though maybe something happened to her buck since she mentioned just herself and her daughter, his head tilted curiously.

"Its just myself and Yuda these days...Though we used to be apart of a pride together." He was proud of his past, in a way..he thought with a flick of his ear, one could only hold so much pride in causing the pain, and even death of another. But they had done so without a second thought as it was for the good of the pride, and only then is when they ever striked.

He snorted a light laugh and shook his head. "Oh Yuda would not be amused to be called a doe.." He smiled, his eyes and demur lightening up. "That boy would just have a heart attack...would have to go and hunt something Im sure." He shook his head with a snicker. "But then again, hunting, its a lions thing you know." He never once thought anything strange with his relationship with the other male, they had been paired together since long before Yuda had a full mane, and Boyko's own horns had fully grown in.

Ovarian Paint

Bashful Shapeshifter

Neon Fly

Tipsy Hellraiser

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:43 pm
Gently shaking her buff colored ruff, Mamake wasn't just listening to the buck's words, she was straining to understand the subtle explanation in them as small details rolled casually into their conversation. Small, but critical details.

Part of a pride. He said.
Hunting. He said.

Did that mean the Yuda he spoke of was in fact a lion? Perhaps she was only being overly optimistic. After all, she knew so few waterbucks who would could understand having a relationship with a predator. There wasn't likely one among her old herd who would have sympathized with the starving lion cub she had found. No, more likely they would have stomped the last bit of life from her frail body. One less threat to their livelihood, that's all it was.

Forcing the vile thought away with a shiver of revulsion, Mamake smiled apologetically at Boyko, I'm sorry. I didn't mean any offense to your companion.

She felt herself hesitate on her words, more noticeably then she would have liked while making every effort to sound only politely curious rather than hinged to his answer with rapt interest. Your Yuda then.. he.. he's a lion, is he?

[IC] Rogue Lands [IC]

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff