Cage upgrade! ($$$)

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:34 am
The cage I have now is a great size for just 2 rats... That being said....The retired lab rat is set on chewing her way out of it! She destroyed the top shelf, which I was going to replace but she's also chewed the walls now. That is not replaceable! I'd have to make a new cage from scratch basically, but them...she may chew that one as well! None of my other rats ever had issues with my lovely grotto cage.

So, I decided to splurge on a metal one. I don't want to downgrade, especially as the price for some of the smaller plastic ones are about the same as the large metal ones.

Yes the critter nation is probably the best, and worth the price tag. But there is just no chance that would fit in my room. It is easily twice the width and almost twice the length of mine.

I found this one on amazon (free shipping too! What a steal!) and though the wire spacing is a lil too big for a rat, I think it'll be okay. (7/8th of an inch) Ill just have to plexiglass it if I ever get a baby rat. The cage is a couple inches longer, wider AND taller (but has a storage shelf!) so it might stand out a bit. But like I said, I don't wana downsize and building another wood one may just be a waste.

There is a corner unit by the same company that is gorgeous. But it's $100 more and I'd have to move my bookshelf down about 7inches. Not even sure if that's possible.

I'm anxious for this one to come. I think it's quite an upgrade, not just in size but now they will be able to climb and I can fit more hammocks and hides. But it's currently out of stock....So I hope it comes BACK into stock soon.  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:27 pm
Hah, wow! Spoiled ratties! I always see that cage in ferret pictures/videos, and I am personally very jealous. I love how it can open up the whole front.  

Frozen Mist

Playful Kitten

Shanna66
Captain

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:12 am
the bar spacing doesnt sound like much of an issue. 1in is fine for most adult rats, it would be rare to see an adult that could squeeze through that. the only issue would be if you ever decided to get a baby rat in the future

it looks great though. i would love to see how it compares to a ferret nation since its about half the price but looks just as big. do both sides of the doors open up?

and yeah, avoid the plastic cages. i got a huge one for $100 and my boys managed to rip off one of the bars so they could get out whenever they wanted. they were litter trained and at the time i only had fluffers who was afraid of them so i never really bothered sending it back or trying to do anything to fix it besides put some twist ties on it  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:11 pm
The critter/ferret nation is a good bit larger all around. Few inches deeper, longer AND taller. Ill let you know when I get mine if its as sturdy. Fate lived in the ferret nation cage at school the last week ( after all the males had been euthanized and the exotic pets handnt arrived yet) and the males in my study lived in it for about 5 weeks. The bar spacing on the ferret nation is an inch and we never had any issues. And ya if I ever get a baby ill figure something out. I'm thinking Plexiglass taped along the sides will do the trick.

Aida knew how to get out of my cage lol. But she was goo enough not to try again after I fixed it. And I'll never forget waking up with Blaze in my bed lol. After she accidentally got the door open. XD  

Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
Crew

Shanna66
Captain

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:42 pm
Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
The critter/ferret nation is a good bit larger all around. Few inches deeper, longer AND taller. Ill let you know when I get mine if its as sturdy. Fate lived in the ferret nation cage at school the last week ( after all the males had been euthanized and the exotic pets handnt arrived yet) and the males in my study lived in it for about 5 weeks. The bar spacing on the ferret nation is an inch and we never had any issues. And ya if I ever get a baby ill figure something out. I'm thinking Plexiglass taped along the sides will do the trick.

Aida knew how to get out of my cage lol. But she was goo enough not to try again after I fixed it. And I'll never forget waking up with Blaze in my bed lol. After she accidentally got the door open. XD

lol, at our old apartment when i was out for the night ezio would get out and go find hubby to spend some guy time together. otherwise the only time they would get out was if i was late feeding them

cant wait to hear more about the cage!  
Pets & Animals Main Forum

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff