Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Sex Education Guild

Back to Guilds

Know your body, love your body, be safe, be healthy, be wise. 

Tags: Sex Ed, Birth Control, LGBT, STDs, Pregnancy 

Reply Sex Education Main Forum
Vibrator questions.

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Huntress Helena

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:06 pm
Hey guys,
I have a question about vibrators. See my sisters have vibrators and they're both 18, and they got away with (Because parents don't know), and they said when one of them goes to get their license, we'd go to our local sex shop and get one for myself.

So I have a few questions and comments:
-Whenever I masturbate, I can't even get two fingers up, so could I get a vibrator to fit?
-How much do they cost?
-What type of things should it be made out of, silicone, plastic, etc?
-Should it be waterproof?

PLEASE QUOTE FOR A FASTER RESPONSE  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:51 pm
Viosprite
Hey guys,
I have a question about vibrators. See my sisters have vibrators and they're both 18, and they got away with (Because parents don't know), and they said when one of them goes to get their license, we'd go to our local sex shop and get one for myself.

-Whenever I masturbate, I can't even get two fingers up, so could I get a vibrator to fit?
-How much do they cost?

Depending on the model they can go from anywhere up to basic ($15-20) to high end (~$200). I've gotten my GF a Rabbit Vibrator for around $50 and she thought it was a good one. Also waterproof.

Also a good deal of vibrators made are waterproof. It will usually say on the packaging. And it really depends on where you plan on using it.  

Asher2501

Huntress Helena

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:53 pm
Asher2501
Viosprite
Hey guys,

-How much do they cost?

Depending on the model they can go from anywhere up to basic ($15-20) to high end (~$200). I've gotten my GF a Rabbit Vibrator for around $50 and she thought it was a good one. Also waterproof.

Also a good deal of vibrators made are waterproof. It will usually say on the packaging. And it really depends on where you plan on using it.

Ok, anything else I should know, like plastic, vs silicone?  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:57 pm
Viosprite
Asher2501
Viosprite
Hey guys,

-How much do they cost?

I'm not really sure about the advantages or disadvantages of each. sweatdrop As long as you don't have silicone allergies I guess that's fine and I heard the give of the silicone feels better for some women reading reviews online when I was shopping for my GF.

As far as penetration goes, I'm not sure about if you've still got the V-Card or not. They also have models that vary in girth if you want something slimmer.  

Asher2501

Huntress Helena

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:59 pm
Asher2501
Viosprite
Asher2501
Viosprite
Hey guys,

-How much do they cost?

I'm not really sure about the advantages or disadvantages of each. sweatdrop As long as you don't have silicone allergies I guess that's fine and I heard the give of the silicone feels better for some women reading reviews online when I was shopping for my GF.

As far as penetration goes, I'm not sure about if you've still got the V-Card or not. They also have models that vary in girth if you want something slimmer.

As far as V-card goes, mine was stolen. :/  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:03 pm
Viosprite

I see. Then I guess make sure to get a water-based lubrication and go easy with it.

You might also wait until Lorien gets onto the guild. She's probably better at these things than I am.

EDIT: Sorry. Forgot to quote. x.x;  

Asher2501

Huntress Helena

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:34 pm
Asher2501
Viosprite

I see. Then I guess make sure to get a water-based lubrication and go easy with it.

You might also wait until Lorien gets onto the guild. She's probably better at these things than I am.

EDIT: Sorry. Forgot to quote. x.x;

It's fine.  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:45 am
Asher is right, they can vary quite a bit in price. I have one that I think was around $15. I don't use it often, but I have never had a problem with it.

You probably do want a waterproof one so that you can wash it.

Toys can be made out of a lot of different things. They pretty much all have their ups and downs (some are easier to clean, some feel more like skin, some can't be used with certain lubes, etc.) So there isn't really a right or wrong material. It's more about finding the material that's right for you. If you do a search for "sex toys" or "sex toy materials" you can read about different toys, different toy materials, the strengths and weaknesses of different toy materials, compare prices, get an idea of sizes and styles, read product reviews, etc.

Whether a woman has never had sex or has had sex 100 times, most vaginas can stretch a lot if the woman is relaxed, in the mood, and well lubricated. But there are also toys that focus more on the clitoris and don't need to be inserted at all if you think you'd prefer that.

I'll copy/paste something that I posted in another thread because I think it's useful information (it's mostly about "p***s in v****a" sex, but a lot of it can relate to any insertion):

I highly recommend these articles (I'll put some of the highlights here for people who don't want to click links, but I do recommend clicking the link to read the full article if you can):

"...the variance in sizes between women are much lesser than those between men....differences between pre-menopausal women of a similar reproductive history -- as in, how many times they have been pregnant or given birth: not how many times they have had sex -- usually only vary within an inch or so, max. Even between women with some variance in reproductive history and age, we still don't see the kinds of differences we see among men with p***s size.

Vaginas are closed, or collapsed, muscular tubes when nothing is in them, kind of like when your mouth or throat is closed, they're pretty much collapsed unto themselves.

When a woman is just lying around, hanging out and reading a book, her v****a is not hanging open: it's closed. But when we put something inside the v****a -- be that a finger, a tampon, a p***s, a speculum or -- from the other direction -- an infant's head during childbirth -- the v****a expands to surround and grip what is inside it and has a great deal of flexibility and variability in terms of how big or small it can be when something is inside of it....In a lot of ways, even talking about vaginas as having sizes is about as apt as talking about rubber bands or balloons as being a certain size: with something stretchy and designed to be expandable, whose size is ever changing, it doesn't make sense to consider that thing as having a static size at all.

Think about it like a pair of tights you just took out of the dryer. They're very stretchy, but before you put them on, the legs of them look very tiny and tight, as there isn't anything inside them and like nothing large could fit into them. If someone thin legs put them on, they'll stretch to fit right around those legs. If someone with a thicker leg puts them on, they'll stretch to fit that leg, too. If you take a basketball and put it inside, they'll stretch around that, too. And after any given size of leg was put in, if we toss them back in the wash, when they're done, they're going to be that constricted size again that'll stretch to accommodate what's put inside.

(And if you're going to go to the place that says, "But wait: after a bunch of wears, tights get less stretchy and get kind of saggy! That means vaginas CAN wear out that same way, right?" Don't bother. Tights and vaginas are different in that way, because vaginas are not made out of nylon or cotton and are built to last and be more way more resilient.)

By all means, some things do impact how stretchy and snap-back the vaginal walls or opening are....Age can make a difference, as can general health, hormonal balances (estrogen plays a big part in vaginal elasticity, which is why menopause will often impact women's comfort with intercourse and other vaginal sex, and also why at certain times of the fertility cycle when estrogen levels are lower, intercourse doesn't always feel as good or as comfortable as it does at other times when estrogen levels are higher)...

I'd not put a lot of stock in what a partner says about what your v****a feels like to them... especially if they're circumcised... It's often mentioned by sexologists that male perceptions of vaginal size have more to do with lubrication levels than anything else: a less lubricated v****a tends to feel more "tight" due to more friction, while an adequately or very lubricated v****a can feel "looser," because of less friction. So, if you're not also using lube from the start, adding more as needed, or you're just naturally drier during sex than his other partners were, that may be some of the difference he is perceiving.

...When we anticipate pain or discomfort -- which of course, you're going to do if you've been experiencing it persistently -- we're way more likely to have it happen...."
http://www.scarleteen.com/article/advice/how_can_vaginas_not_vary_much_in_size_for_real

"....Are you highly aroused well BEFORE any sort of vaginal entry begins?...If you're a young, healthy person without any medical conditions which can alter how your sexual response system system works, when you're very aroused...Your v****a will usually naturally lubricate, sometimes profoundly (though at some times in your monthly cycle, that may be more or less) so that you feel "wet." ...

...Do you really WANT to be having intercourse/manual sex or any sort of sex? That might sound silly, but it's important to consider every time you have sex: do you want to have intercourse or other vaginal sex for YOUR pleasure and satisfaction as much as your partners? Do you find yourself attempting intercourse or manual sex with a partner when you suspect or know you aren't aroused or interested, maybe because you know it'll get them to stop nagging you or placate them? If so, in a word, knock it off....

Are you using lubricant as needed? Lube can't replace arousal, mind you: it can't loosen the vaginal canal and opening the way that arousal can. But when you are already there, and things don't feel very slippery, it can be a big help. When using condoms and barriers, it's essential, not just to keep the barrier from tearing, but because often our own natural lube isn't enough when a barrier is added. Too, if you're also using hormonal contraceptives, often one of the side effects is an increase in vaginal dryness. During certain times of the fertility cycle as well (for those who are not using the pill, the patch or other hormonal methods), cervical mucus is thicker, which can make things more sticky and less slippery. Friction is part of what makes any kind of vaginal stimulus -- like intercourse or manual sex -- feel good, but too much friction causes discomfort. using plenty of latex-safe, water-based lube helps you strike the right balance....

Not sure if you're really highly aroused or if that's an issue? Try having an orgasm BEFORE attempting sexual intercourse or manual sex. In other words, engage in other sexual activities with your partner which bring you to orgasm first, then right afterward, try vaginal entry.....

BE VERBAL AND CLEAR when you're not feeling good. Don't fake pleasure or say something feels okay when it doesn't, and don't just hope things will improve magically on their own. Neither you nor your partner are going to be able to figure out what DOES feel good, and isn't painful, if you're not communicating freely and clearly....."
http://www.scarleteen.com/article/pink/from_ow_to_wow_demystifying_painful_intercourse  

LorienLlewellyn
Captain

Quotable Informer

Huntress Helena

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:03 pm
LorienLlewellyn
Asher is right, they can vary quite a bit in price. I have one that I think was around $15. I don't use it often, but I have never had a problem with it.

You probably do want a waterproof one so that you can wash it.

Toys can be made out of a lot of different things. They pretty much all have their ups and downs (some are easier to clean, some feel more like skin, some can't be used with certain lubes, etc.) So there isn't really a right or wrong material. It's more about finding the material that's right for you. If you do a search for "sex toys" or "sex toy materials" you can read about different toys, different toy materials, the strengths and weaknesses of different toy materials, compare prices, get an idea of sizes and styles, read product reviews, etc.

Whether a woman has never had sex or has had sex 100 times, most vaginas can stretch a lot if the woman is relaxed, in the mood, and well lubricated. But there are also toys that focus more on the clitoris and don't need to be inserted at all if you think you'd prefer that.

I'll copy/paste something that I posted in another thread because I think it's useful information (it's mostly about "p***s in v****a" sex, but a lot of it can relate to any insertion):

I highly recommend these articles (I'll put some of the highlights here for people who don't want to click links, but I do recommend clicking the link to read the full article if you can):

"...the variance in sizes between women are much lesser than those between men....differences between pre-menopausal women of a similar reproductive history -- as in, how many times they have been pregnant or given birth: not how many times they have had sex -- usually only vary within an inch or so, max. Even between women with some variance in reproductive history and age, we still don't see the kinds of differences we see among men with p***s size.

Vaginas are closed, or collapsed, muscular tubes when nothing is in them, kind of like when your mouth or throat is closed, they're pretty much collapsed unto themselves.

When a woman is just lying around, hanging out and reading a book, her v****a is not hanging open: it's closed. But when we put something inside the v****a -- be that a finger, a tampon, a p***s, a speculum or -- from the other direction -- an infant's head during childbirth -- the v****a expands to surround and grip what is inside it and has a great deal of flexibility and variability in terms of how big or small it can be when something is inside of it....In a lot of ways, even talking about vaginas as having sizes is about as apt as talking about rubber bands or balloons as being a certain size: with something stretchy and designed to be expandable, whose size is ever changing, it doesn't make sense to consider that thing as having a static size at all.

Think about it like a pair of tights you just took out of the dryer. They're very stretchy, but before you put them on, the legs of them look very tiny and tight, as there isn't anything inside them and like nothing large could fit into them. If someone thin legs put them on, they'll stretch to fit right around those legs. If someone with a thicker leg puts them on, they'll stretch to fit that leg, too. If you take a basketball and put it inside, they'll stretch around that, too. And after any given size of leg was put in, if we toss them back in the wash, when they're done, they're going to be that constricted size again that'll stretch to accommodate what's put inside.

(And if you're going to go to the place that says, "But wait: after a bunch of wears, tights get less stretchy and get kind of saggy! That means vaginas CAN wear out that same way, right?" Don't bother. Tights and vaginas are different in that way, because vaginas are not made out of nylon or cotton and are built to last and be more way more resilient.)

By all means, some things do impact how stretchy and snap-back the vaginal walls or opening are....Age can make a difference, as can general health, hormonal balances (estrogen plays a big part in vaginal elasticity, which is why menopause will often impact women's comfort with intercourse and other vaginal sex, and also why at certain times of the fertility cycle when estrogen levels are lower, intercourse doesn't always feel as good or as comfortable as it does at other times when estrogen levels are higher)...

I'd not put a lot of stock in what a partner says about what your v****a feels like to them... especially if they're circumcised... It's often mentioned by sexologists that male perceptions of vaginal size have more to do with lubrication levels than anything else: a less lubricated v****a tends to feel more "tight" due to more friction, while an adequately or very lubricated v****a can feel "looser," because of less friction. So, if you're not also using lube from the start, adding more as needed, or you're just naturally drier during sex than his other partners were, that may be some of the difference he is perceiving.

...When we anticipate pain or discomfort -- which of course, you're going to do if you've been experiencing it persistently -- we're way more likely to have it happen...."
http://www.scarleteen.com/article/advice/how_can_vaginas_not_vary_much_in_size_for_real

"....Are you highly aroused well BEFORE any sort of vaginal entry begins?...If you're a young, healthy person without any medical conditions which can alter how your sexual response system system works, when you're very aroused...Your v****a will usually naturally lubricate, sometimes profoundly (though at some times in your monthly cycle, that may be more or less) so that you feel "wet." ...

...Do you really WANT to be having intercourse/manual sex or any sort of sex? That might sound silly, but it's important to consider every time you have sex: do you want to have intercourse or other vaginal sex for YOUR pleasure and satisfaction as much as your partners? Do you find yourself attempting intercourse or manual sex with a partner when you suspect or know you aren't aroused or interested, maybe because you know it'll get them to stop nagging you or placate them? If so, in a word, knock it off....

Are you using lubricant as needed? Lube can't replace arousal, mind you: it can't loosen the vaginal canal and opening the way that arousal can. But when you are already there, and things don't feel very slippery, it can be a big help. When using condoms and barriers, it's essential, not just to keep the barrier from tearing, but because often our own natural lube isn't enough when a barrier is added. Too, if you're also using hormonal contraceptives, often one of the side effects is an increase in vaginal dryness. During certain times of the fertility cycle as well (for those who are not using the pill, the patch or other hormonal methods), cervical mucus is thicker, which can make things more sticky and less slippery. Friction is part of what makes any kind of vaginal stimulus -- like intercourse or manual sex -- feel good, but too much friction causes discomfort. using plenty of latex-safe, water-based lube helps you strike the right balance....

Not sure if you're really highly aroused or if that's an issue? Try having an orgasm BEFORE attempting sexual intercourse or manual sex. In other words, engage in other sexual activities with your partner which bring you to orgasm first, then right afterward, try vaginal entry.....

BE VERBAL AND CLEAR when you're not feeling good. Don't fake pleasure or say something feels okay when it doesn't, and don't just hope things will improve magically on their own. Neither you nor your partner are going to be able to figure out what DOES feel good, and isn't painful, if you're not communicating freely and clearly....."
http://www.scarleteen.com/article/pink/from_ow_to_wow_demystifying_painful_intercourse

But Ms.Lorien,
I don't know what type of material I want, and thank you so much  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:21 am
Viosprite

But Ms.Lorien,
I don't know what type of material I want

I don't know what type of material you want either. whee So I'd recommend reading up on the different options, reading some product reviews, seeing what you think sounds right for you, and trying out an inexpensive one (unless you are pretty confident that an expensive one is right for you and have the cash to spare). 3nodding  

LorienLlewellyn
Captain

Quotable Informer

Huntress Helena

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:38 am
LorienLlewellyn
Viosprite

But Ms.Lorien,
I don't know what type of material I want

I don't know what type of material you want either. whee So I'd recommend reading up on the different options, reading some product reviews, seeing what you think sounds right for you, and trying out an inexpensive one (unless you are pretty confident that an expensive one is right for you and have the cash to spare). 3nodding

Uhm, wo there's metal, plastic, silicone, and I think that's it and I heard silicone is supposed to be the one the that causes the least amount of infections?  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:06 pm
Viosprite

Uhm, wo there's metal, plastic, silicone, and I think that's it and I heard silicone is supposed to be the one the that causes the least amount of infections?

Those are some of the options. There are many others. I will give you a list of some popular options along with a few of their key pros and cons below to get you started. But I really recommend looking into it yourself because:

1. There's a lot of information out there, so I am not going to put it all here!

2. Different sites have slightly different information, so it's good to research the pros and cons from a variety of sources to make sure you're getting a good overall picture of the toy/material and to reduce the chance that you'll be surprised later on.

And

3. Knowing the materials and the pros and cons of each is really only half the battle if you're planning on buying. Before buying, you should also look into the different styles, compare prices (unless money is not an issue), and read product reviews.

So go to www.goodsearch.com and type in "sex toys" or "sex toy materials." Visit a few different websites. (I'm not going to link them here for you because sex toy sites are meant for adults, which means they're usually not PG-13, which means most of them can't be posted here) Read about the different materials from a few different sites. Look at the different styles of toys. Try to picture what you'd like and what would be practical for you to use and to clean. Compare prices. Read reviews for toys that look interesting to you.

You can get an infection from any sex toy if it's not cleaned properly, so make sure you carefully read and follow the cleaning instructions that come with your toy. Some types of toys are easier to keep clean than others. But many toys can be used with a condom to help them stay cleaner. Make sure you clean your toy or change the condom on your toy if you want to go from a**l stimulation to vaginal stimulation (the bacteria from your a**s can cause vaginal infections).

Silicone
-Lasts a long time
-Soft and smooth
-Easy to clean
-May be expensive
-Not recommended for use with silicone-based lubricants

Jelly
-Not too expensive
-Not as easy to clean, so using a condom is recommended
-Neat looking, comes in a variety of bright colors
-May contain harmful phthalates
-Some people think they smell weird