Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Latrans

Devoted Inquisitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:24 pm
CrissAngelLover12345

West Virginia. The part of the state I'm in doesn't have much.. >.<

I assume you've checked here? Even in my area which has a lot going on most people drive 20+ miles to get to the club where I train.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:33 pm
Latrans
CrissAngelLover12345

I assume you've checked here? Even in my area which has a lot going on most people drive 20+ miles to get to the club where I train.

Actually, no I haven't.. sweatdrop Thanks for the link. I'll look into it. biggrin

I have managed to find a dog park where the dogs can be off leash. From what I'm seeing, it's not very heavily used (probably not well known about since it's in an area that doesn't have much to it) that I could probably go to for some training with Bandit and possibly even Rascal. It not being used by many would also be a nice benefit to minimize the number of scents at one time as well as fewer distractions. biggrin I'm currently doing research on how to do tracking training so I know where to start with it.  

CrissAngelLover12345

Latrans

Devoted Inquisitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:37 pm
CrissAngelLover12345
Latrans
CrissAngelLover12345

Actually, no I haven't.. sweatdrop Thanks for the link. I'll look into it. biggrin

I have managed to find a dog park where the dogs can be off leash. From what I'm seeing, it's not very heavily used (probably not well known about since it's in an area that doesn't have much to it) that I could probably go to for some training with Bandit and possibly even Rascal. It not being used by many would also be a nice benefit to minimize the number of scents at one time as well as fewer distractions. biggrin I'm currently doing research on how to do tracking training so I know where to start with it.

You should also look into nosework; it's designed to mimic drug detection.

Tracking is so much fun, I bet you'll enjoy it. Tracking is best started in areas that don't have a lot of foot traffic, though.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:41 pm
Latrans
CrissAngelLover12345
Latrans
CrissAngelLover12345

You should also look into nosework; it's designed to mimic drug detection.

Tracking is so much fun, I bet you'll enjoy it. Tracking is best started in areas that don't have a lot of foot traffic, though.

Cool! I'll look into that too! Tracking does look like a lot of fun! I might start in my front yard and then go to the park when they have gotten the hang of it in the yard. biggrin

I just looked at the tracking clubs.. There are only two near where I am.. One is over 4 hours away and the other is over 5 hours away.. That's way too far to travel.. >.< I'll look at the locations for the obedience ones, but those don't look very promising either.. >.<  

CrissAngelLover12345

Latrans

Devoted Inquisitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:45 pm
CrissAngelLover12345

Cool! I'll look into that too! Tracking does look like a lot of fun! I might start in my front yard and then go to the park when they have gotten the hang of it in the yard. biggrin

I just looked at the tracking clubs.. There are only two near where I am.. One is over 4 hours away and the other is over 5 hours away.. That's way too far to travel.. >.< I'll look at the locations for the obedience ones, but those don't look very promising either.. >.<

That's too bad.

If you're serious about training dogs professionally, you should start doing some serious reading about methods and stuff (if you haven't already). There's a lot of really cool science out there.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:53 pm
Latrans
CrissAngelLover12345

That's too bad.

If you're serious about training dogs professionally, you should start doing some serious reading about methods and stuff (if you haven't already). There's a lot of really cool science out there.

The obedience ones aren't much better.. There are more of them.. but the closest one is over 3 hours away.. And that is still too far.. >.< The Agility ones are also way too far away (only two, one is in the same location as the obedience one that is over 3 hours away and the other is over 5 hours away.. >.<) I really dislike my location..

I'm already doing a lot of research about various training techinques and watching various videos on them. biggrin I can't wait to try out what I'm learning with my dogs! I want to learn more about clicker training and try it out as well! I already have a clicker! I just need to learn how to use it properly. I will definitely also look into that too.  

CrissAngelLover12345

Latrans

Devoted Inquisitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:49 am
CrissAngelLover12345
Latrans
CrissAngelLover12345

That's too bad.

The obedience ones aren't much better.. There are more of them.. but the closest one is over 3 hours away.. And that is still too far.. >.< The Agility ones are also way too far away (only two, one is in the same location as the obedience one that is over 3 hours away and the other is over 5 hours away.. >.<) I really dislike my location..

I'm already doing a lot of research about various training techinques and watching various videos on them. biggrin I can't wait to try out what I'm learning with my dogs! I want to learn more about clicker training and try it out as well! I already have a clicker! I just need to learn how to use it properly. I will definitely also look into that too.

You should look at Karen Pryor and the book (can't remember the author now) Clicker for Obedience. They're both great places to start.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:46 am
Latrans
CrissAngelLover12345
Latrans
CrissAngelLover12345

That's too bad.

You should look at Karen Pryor and the book (can't remember the author now) Clicker for Obedience. They're both great places to start.

Ok! I'll look for those books and read them. Thank you so much!  

CrissAngelLover12345

Latrans

Devoted Inquisitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:49 am
CrissAngelLover12345
Latrans
CrissAngelLover12345
Latrans
CrissAngelLover12345

That's too bad.

Sure, no problem.

It also wouldn't be a bad idea for you to check out some shows in your area and talk to handlers about where they train. :]

If you're serious about police work, contact the PD and see if they have any advice, too.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:55 am
Latrans
CrissAngelLover12345
Latrans
CrissAngelLover12345
Latrans
CrissAngelLover12345

That's too bad.

Sure, no problem.

It also wouldn't be a bad idea for you to check out some shows in your area and talk to handlers about where they train. :]

If you're serious about police work, contact the PD and see if they have any advice, too.

Both are good places to start as well. I'm not sure if there are any shows in my area.. I never hear about them.. I'll look and see if I can find any. I have a neighbor who is an obedience trainer for Petco. I could also talk to her about it too.

My dad works for a court. When ever my dad goes back to work (He's been home sick with something for over a week and has been to the doctor several times.. I swear, if he'd listen to the doctor and quit smoking, he'd be amazed on how fast he'd feel better.. gonk ), he said he'd find out who I could contact to talk about training police dogs.  

CrissAngelLover12345

Pets & Animals Main Forum

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces