Submit

Kithy Kitty

Familiar Browser

5,650 Points
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Partygoer 500
  • Marathon 300
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:15 pm
So for Christmas my hubby got me a $100 gift card for Petco. Spent that in an hour online. Got a bunch of silk and plastic plants for both tanks, some extra water conditioner and a testing kit xp

So to try it out I tested both tanks. The 20gal is quite under stocked so it didn't surprise me that both ammonia and nitrites were at 0ppm, nitrates were between 10-20ppm. For that tank I used the black sponge thing from one of my old filters and new media and an old filter with it's biowheel to jump start cycling. With just the betta and a snail in there I'm guessing I won't be needing to do water changes often.

Now the 55, with it's three goldfish and bristlenose pleco, is another story. I got a larger filter (although not large enough, I plan to add a second one soon sweatdrop ) but used both carbon pads from the old filters. Everything else is the same. Ammonia and nitrites were .25ppm and nitrates were 40-80ppm. The ammonia and nitrites were a bit too high for my liking so I added in some Prime conditioner (the kind that temporarily detoxifies ammonia for like, 24hrs?) and got five gallons ready to change out. I've been feeling rather tired and in some physical pain so I've not been able to do the normal 10-15 gallons I usually change out. So I did five gallons tonight.

Here are my questions:

question Am I okay to just do one five gallon change every other day for right now? 40lb buckets are heavy and I physically can't do it. If I have to I can just take longer to do changes by filling the bucket up half as much. But if I don't have to do a whole bunch of it in one day I really don't want to until I'm feeling well. Unfortunately I'm one of the only people that can do this stuff that I trust (I trust hubby but it's not his responsibility, it's mine).

question At what point is too high? I hear .50ppm for ammonia is too high but I've heard nothing of nitrites. Is .25ppm okay to leave for now or definitely not okay?

question I bought what I thought were aquatic plants but they were not. I have two of them in my filter that I just put in today. Should I add more? I have one amazon sword in the tank itself, maybe I should buy more? I really want to minimize how much ammonia/nitrites there are after cycling completes.

question Do you suppose the tank is somewhat cycled? After all, when the 55 was set up the only thing new was the tank itself. It was still using the same filters that were on the 10 and 20 gallons and the media has never been changed since like May. I thought a new filter might throw it into a mini-cycle but seems good so far.

question After doing a water change, how long should I wait to retest and expect different readings? I've been told that while Prime conditioner will temporarily detoxify ammonia into ammonia for about 24 hours it will still show up on the ammonia test.

User Image
So that's what it looks like now. I'm soaking some Mopani wood for the pleco so I'll probably have to take a couple of the larger plants out so it doesn't look too crowded.

[EDIT] I ended up rechecking the ammonia and nitrites and they were a bit higher than eariler so I guess I'll need to do at least 50% ;; Wah.  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:54 pm
Ahhh, so. After rechecking the numbers I felt like I needed to do a larger change. So I did a 20-ish% change, about 15 gallons. Boy, next time I think I'll just have to suck it up and make the husband do it, I'm quite light headed now.

The only thing that really bothered me was the fact that when I take out that much water my wood stand creaks. And then when I slowly add it back in... it creaks. Maybe that's normal? It kinda scared me :X While I was changing the water in the mopani bucket I half expected to come back to my room and see the tank on the floor gonk

Everything was fine though. I was putting off looking at one of those python water changers because our bathroom faucet won't fit it (I think) and the kitchen is rather far but oy, I don't think I can put it off much longer.

Anyway. Creaking of stand. Is this normal? Should I be worried? It was a previously used stand that was in the shed for at least five years :X  

Kithy Kitty

Familiar Browser

5,650 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Marathon 300

Kithy Kitty

Familiar Browser

5,650 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Marathon 300
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:56 am
PH 7.6
Ammonia 0ppm
Nitrite 0.25ppm
Nitrate 5ppm

My numbers today after changing 15 gallons.

Where did my nitrates go D:  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:25 am
ANY ammonia is bad, any nitrite is bad, and more than 40 nitrate is bad (less is best, but sometimes tap water prevents that). Your tank is trying to cycle, but its getting too many water changes to allow it to. However, to protect your fish, you need to do the water changes. It's a double edged sword, cycling with fish. Daily water changed are what you need to do to keep everything in check.

The way cycling works is ammonia spike, nitrite spike, then nitrate spike. When one of these shoots up, the others go down.

For sure get a water changer. You'll thank your self for it! I love mine. I haven't been able to use it in a while, since it doesn't fit the type of faucet we have. I may try to rig it up to the spiggot outside.... They can go on the shower faucet, but you have to take the shower head off lol

The stand creaking, kinda creepy. Is it an aquarium stand?  

Akari_32

Kithy Kitty

Familiar Browser

5,650 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Marathon 300
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:50 pm
Akari_32
ANY ammonia is bad, any nitrite is bad, and more than 40 nitrate is bad (less is best, but sometimes tap water prevents that). Your tank is trying to cycle, but its getting too many water changes to allow it to. However, to protect your fish, you need to do the water changes. It's a double edged sword, cycling with fish. Daily water changed are what you need to do to keep everything in check.

The way cycling works is ammonia spike, nitrite spike, then nitrate spike. When one of these shoots up, the others go down.

For sure get a water changer. You'll thank your self for it! I love mine. I haven't been able to use it in a while, since it doesn't fit the type of faucet we have. I may try to rig it up to the spiggot outside.... They can go on the shower faucet, but you have to take the shower head off lol

The stand creaking, kinda creepy. Is it an aquarium stand?
I ended up adding in a additional filter to help out since I can't keep up the dailys.

The creaking bother me so I had someone more experienced take a look at it and he says it should be fine but it would be good to reinforce the corners in the spring.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:04 am
Filtration isn't entirely about GHP, but also the surface area of the media. Think of it this way:

A one story house vs a 3 story house.

The one story house can only house so many people, but a three story house at least triples the living space. If you only have one small filter, there isn't enough room for the bacteria colony to reach the size it needs to to keep up with your poop monsters, but adding several larger filters gives you that space. IMO, when sticking with HOBs, AquaClears are well worth the price. They hold a ton of media.  

Akari_32

Kithy Kitty

Familiar Browser

5,650 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Marathon 300
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:54 pm
I definitely prefer more than one filter. You really can't have too much filtration with goldies, can ya? xp

I was doing a change today and looked away for one moment while holding the gravel siphon thing in my hand in the tank and I look back to see Fluffy trying to swim into it rofl Oh fishy..  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:02 pm
I have been cycling a 20 long with some guppies and a lot of ghost shrimp, they have been breeding like mad and have about 20ish in there now, I started with 6.

I will be going tomorrow to pck up my german blue rams and dwarf powder blue gourami.  

Whiskey On A Sunday

Akari_32

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:43 am
Kithy Kitty
I definitely prefer more than one filter. You really can't have too much filtration with goldies, can ya? xp

I was doing a change today and looked away for one moment while holding the gravel siphon thing in my hand in the tank and I look back to see Fluffy trying to swim into it rofl Oh fishy..

You really can't, unless it's pushing them around. I'm going to make a DIY sump for my new 55, that way I'll have some extra water to work with, and more room for media.

Haha, crazy fish!  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:01 pm
Whiskey On A Sunday
I have been cycling a 20 long with some guppies and a lot of ghost shrimp, they have been breeding like mad and have about 20ish in there now, I started with 6.

I will be going tomorrow to pck up my german blue rams and dwarf powder blue gourami.
Ooh guppies!! I love them biggrin  

Kithy Kitty

Familiar Browser

5,650 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Marathon 300
Pets & Animals Main Forum

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers