Submit

Kithy Kitty

Familiar Browser

5,650 Points
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Partygoer 500
  • Marathon 300
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:10 pm
Been considering cutting the carbon out of my old filter thing and putting a sponge or something in.

Any suggestions on what would keep up best?  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:48 pm
Kithy Kitty
Been considering cutting the carbon out of my old filter thing and putting a sponge or something in.

We're talking aquariums right?  

Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
Crew

Kithy Kitty

Familiar Browser

5,650 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Marathon 300
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:55 pm
Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
Kithy Kitty

We're talking aquariums right?
Oops, yesh I am :3  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:32 pm
Personally I use sponges and carbon. The sponge is the only one that's going to give your bacteria a good living environment. The carbon will help out with any chlorine in the water or other chemicals.  

Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
Crew

Kithy Kitty

Familiar Browser

5,650 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Marathon 300
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:54 pm
Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
Personally I use sponges and carbon. The sponge is the only one that's going to give your bacteria a good living environment. The carbon will help out with any chlorine in the water or other chemicals.
I've been hearing that leaving the carbon in there too long could be bad for the fish. I've kept my carbon blue things in my filters for awhile now but wasn't sure if I should add new carbon or nix it all together. With the new tank I don't want to remove any bacteria that are on the blue stuff :X  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:21 am
Kithy Kitty
Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
I've been hearing that leaving the carbon in there too long could be bad for the fish. I've kept my carbon blue things in my filters for awhile now but wasn't sure if I should add new carbon or nix it all together. With the new tank I don't want to remove any bacteria that are on the blue stuff :X

I'm not really a tank expert. But I've had mine for over a year now with both media and my fishies seem to thrive. My live bearers were breeding like crazy for a while. Now that I'm down to one adult it's under control lol. If you decide to lose the carbon, I'd say get some sponge and add the sponge in and then after a few weeks maybe, then you could take the carbon out. I think I've heard people say they just use sponge. When I started out I was told I only actually needed the sponge but i'd already bought the pack with the 3 types. In the 1.5yrs I've had the tank running I have not changed the media. 2 or 3 times I rinsed the sand out of the sponge but if you use gravel you won't have to worry about that.  

Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
Crew

Kithy Kitty

Familiar Browser

5,650 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Marathon 300
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:55 pm
Gabrielle_AnimalLuver

I'm not really a tank expert. But I've had mine for over a year now with both media and my fishies seem to thrive. My live bearers were breeding like crazy for a while. Now that I'm down to one adult it's under control lol. If you decide to lose the carbon, I'd say get some sponge and add the sponge in and then after a few weeks maybe, then you could take the carbon out. I think I've heard people say they just use sponge. When I started out I was told I only actually needed the sponge but i'd already bought the pack with the 3 types. In the 1.5yrs I've had the tank running I have not changed the media. 2 or 3 times I rinsed the sand out of the sponge but if you use gravel you won't have to worry about that.
That puts me at ease biggrin

It's so hard researching things on the internet because you get so many conflicting answers and test data.. I prefer just asking people with more experience than I do <3 Thank you so much!  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:51 pm
Carbon needs to be super heated to actually leach back into the water. However, I don't ever use it unless I need to remove meds from the water. It's a waste of money otherwise. The crazy nuts want you to think that it needs be changed weekly.

In my filters, I use double sponges, and biomedia. I've been doing this for years.  

Akari_32

Pets & Animals Main Forum

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff