Submit

Kithy Kitty

Familiar Browser

5,650 Points
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Partygoer 500
  • Marathon 300
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:59 pm
..when you get that guy home you realize that is is too small to play nice with your other fish?

My hubby bought a bristle-nose pleco (max size is 5inches so he'll do good in our future 40gal) but he is so tiny and I didn't realize it til we put the bag in to acclimate him. So natrally I'm worried about putting him in with my three goldies. They're um, big. And he's so very not. Let me grab some pics rq to show...

User Image

So I put an algae wafer on the side to bribe them to stay next to the bag with the pleco and Fluffy decided to be an angel and pose for me. Best fish ever.

Anyway, you can see how tiny he is and I totally forgot (and never realized) how big my goldies are until I put the bag in the tank.

Is he gonna be okay if I put him in there or should I go with my original plan and put him in my 10gal which is about half full right now until he gets bigger?

I moved my weaker filter to the 10gal but it sucks ~.~ And I don't have an air stone for the 10gal, it's currently in use for the goldies.

I know my 20 is way overstocked but I'm trying to compensate by doing two weekly 20-30% changes and kind of "spot cleaning" waste as I see it until Petco's big sale. ~.~ Regretting buying that fantail but gah. Stress relief is stress relief as hubby sees it and continues to buy me things for my tank. I am lucky we have a big stand in the garage for either a 40 or 50 so I plan on taking it out and measuring it to see what it will hold (seriously looks close to a darn 50!!) and then when the sale comes by getting the bigger tank and getting them forever tank.  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:06 pm
User Image Here he is circled in case you have a hard time seeing him.  

Kithy Kitty

Familiar Browser

5,650 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Marathon 300

kage no neko

Invisible Phantom

8,500 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:19 pm
Oh wow.. it looks like he'd fit right in the goldfish's mouth too! One slurp! I'm not sure I'd risk that.  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:33 pm
kage no neko
Oh wow.. it looks like he'd fit right in the goldfish's mouth too! One slurp! I'm not sure I'd risk that.
Yeah @_@ Kinda too scared to put him in so he's in a temp home in the old 10gal til he puts on some inches!!  

Kithy Kitty

Familiar Browser

5,650 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Marathon 300

Kithy Kitty

Familiar Browser

5,650 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Marathon 300
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:39 pm
So he's been in the ten gal for awhile now. Moving around and everything. That tank lacks a light but ~.~ Better than an overstocked tank at the pet store or being in that bag.

Tomorrow I'm gonna put some water in a bowl with a rock >D Gonna make him some algae since he's not too interested in the wafer.

Any idea how quickly he will grow? We're getting ready to incorporate the three goldies into our 50gal (it needs to be cleared out and checked if it will hold water and it's gonna take time to even get to) in just a few days so I'd like to be able to put him in soon so I don't have one giant tank and another to watch over just yet.

Also.. what do I call him @_@ Albino bristle nose pleco. He's so cute /)*3*(  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:05 am
He'll be alright, really. Plecos have pectoral and dorsal spines, and have little attitudes. They know how to use their spines if they need to. Given enough food, he'll be almost full grown by July. Vary his diet, and he'll be bigger in no time! He'll mostly hide at this age any way with those big crazy goldfish around.  

Akari_32

Kithy Kitty

Familiar Browser

5,650 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Marathon 300
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:59 pm
Akari_32
He'll be alright, really. Plecos have pectoral and dorsal spines, and have little attitudes. They know how to use their spines if they need to. Given enough food, he'll be almost full grown by July. Vary his diet, and he'll be bigger in no time! He'll mostly hide at this age any way with those big crazy goldfish around.
I've got him still in quarantine and I've never had a pleco >.<

He doesn't seem to be too interested in eating yet and just kind of hiding. Getting quickly disappointed in my stupid heater for the 20, it refuses to go anywhere near 72.

But!! Tuesday I'm getting my 50 gallon! I can't even sleep I'm so excited!  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:07 pm
I call my boyfriend's pleco Mr Big. He's the biggest fish in the tank, and definitely due for a larger tank. I'm gonna look for something during petco's next gallon/$ sale.

When I was little and my dad had his 55 gallon, he had two plecos. Their names were Cheerio and Ricky. Because that's what you get when you let a 5 year old name your fish.  

kage no neko

Invisible Phantom

8,500 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150

Kithy Kitty

Familiar Browser

5,650 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Marathon 300
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:23 pm
kage no neko
I call my boyfriend's pleco Mr Big. He's the biggest fish in the tank, and definitely due for a larger tank. I'm gonna look for something during petco's next gallon/$ sale.

When I was little and my dad had his 55 gallon, he had two plecos. Their names were Cheerio and Ricky. Because that's what you get when you let a 5 year old name your fish.
Cheerio and Ricky are cute!!!

Petco's sales are omg. It's the stands that get you though. Walmart has a good deal on a whole set up for a 55 for like 170 and the stand for 100. Not bad but you still need things like filters.  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:24 pm
User Image

Sorry sorry, he's just so cute!!! He's in the 20 now :3  

Kithy Kitty

Familiar Browser

5,650 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Marathon 300

Shanna66
Captain

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:09 am
dont goldfish need colder water than plecos?  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:41 am
Shanna66
Their temperature ranges do over lap. Most people keep their houses at more than 75 degrees, which is fine for both types fish.  

Akari_32

Kithy Kitty

Familiar Browser

5,650 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Marathon 300
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:46 pm
Akari_32
Shanna66
Their temperature ranges do over lap. Most people keep their houses at more than 75 degrees, which is fine for both types fish.
Yep, I made sure before buying the little pleco I could keep him around 72 which is what my goldies seem to like.  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:02 pm
ah ok, i wasnt sure waht the temp range for goldies was, i just know its meant to be kind of chilly compared to tropical tanks  

Shanna66
Captain

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200

Kithy Kitty

Familiar Browser

5,650 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Marathon 300
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:38 pm
Shanna66
ah ok, i wasnt sure waht the temp range for goldies was, i just know its meant to be kind of chilly compared to tropical tanks
I'm not sure how high goldfish will tolerate but one of mine was kept outside in a large fountain and I know the water got really, really warm out there and he made it for two years before I brought him inside. But you are correct :3  
Pets & Animals Main Forum

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff