Submit

Kithy Kitty

Familiar Browser

5,650 Points
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Partygoer 500
  • Marathon 300
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:54 pm
Betta have a life span of about 3-5 years so that's actually very good! I only kept mine alive for a few months ;;

The waste won't really float too well to the filter. I thought the same thing and then when I finally removed my gravel... I was surprised. I prefer large smooth stones instead of gravel.

You don't necessarily need gravel. Right now my 20g is bare bottom because it was a pain.

Sometimes some fish just aren't healthy to begin with though. Depending on where you got him he may have been inbred or overbred or any number of things. It's especially hard to know where your fish are coming from in generic pet stores or even grocery stores that keep betta in those little plastic cups.

It might not be anything you're really doing wrong but frequent water changes in any size tank is a must. Sometimes in bigger tanks that might be understocked it's not necessary to do huge water changes once a week but the idea is that you don't want your fish sitting in too much ammonia.

Do you rinse your filter media in the siphoned off water? I tend to keep my filter media for as long as I can since there's so much bacteria in there.

Stay positive! You can't help that your fish may just be unhealthy.  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:10 pm
I got my first betta from a hole in the wall family store. He was already full grown and had all his colors.

This one I got from petsmart, and he was half grey when I got him. I liked how dull he looked, lol. I'm assuming the lack of color meant he wasn't adult yet, since he has LOTS more colors now.

I had another betta in between them that lasted maybe a month. Just was dead one day. Also got that one from petsmart. Maybe I should stop getting bettas from petsmart...  

kage no neko

Invisible Phantom

8,500 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150

Kithy Kitty

Familiar Browser

5,650 Points
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Partygoer 500
  • Marathon 300
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:55 pm
kage no neko
I got my first betta from a hole in the wall family store. He was already full grown and had all his colors.

This one I got from petsmart, and he was half grey when I got him. I liked how dull he looked, lol. I'm assuming the lack of color meant he wasn't adult yet, since he has LOTS more colors now.

I had another betta in between them that lasted maybe a month. Just was dead one day. Also got that one from petsmart. Maybe I should stop getting bettas from petsmart...
I've only bought one fish from petsmart and he seems okay but it all depends on how long they're in those little cups.

If you can find a higher end local fish store you may end up spending a bit more on the fish but if it's healthier, that's best.  
Pets & Animals Main Forum

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff