Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Pets and Animals Guild!

Back to Guilds

Tags: pets, animals, dogs, cats 

Reply Pets & Animals Main Forum
Very happy bunny, and soon to be happy fishies, also,advice?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Cowgirl-with-heart

Friendly Nerd

5,650 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Pie Hoarder by Proxy 150
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:54 pm
So, last weekend, I was scrolling through the pets section of craigs list, as I post lost and found pets that show up there, on a page for my local area. WELL, while there, I saw an ad for a small animal pen, so I look, its nearly brand new, its an 8 link (24 inches each) and 36 inch tall play pen. It was going for 40$ OBO. So, I messaged her asking if she would take 30$ she said yes, so we went, and picked it up, I put boards down on the floor of Smokeys room, so that he couldnt eat the carpet, and let him have the run, HE LOVES IT! hes like ROOM!!!!! (also, awesome deal considering they are brand new 99$ and this one was almost brand new)

Also, I FINALLY got my 5g tanks for my bettas, each of them have their own 5g and their own heater (the tanks came with filters) however, I have never myself set up new tanks. I am thinking just put some water in, clean fish tanks, and when I do I will put a little water from each in their own tank, and they can get started on the good bacteria, how long should I wait?

I did get Princess Amber (thats my female betta) a little sister, but I think I over fed her, she bloated, I gave her some pea. The bloating went down, but she died the next day sad RIP Lady Esmeralda heart heart heart  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:22 am
Yaaaay happy bunny! I miss my bunnies...

For the fishies, what are they in now? If they've got gravel and plants already, then just move all of that over to their new tanks, and put them in. There will be enough good bacteria in each of their previous homes to support them in their new tanks. Just keep an eye on the parameters (most pet stores will test the water for free, just bring in a small sample). Really all you're worried about is ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. The first two should be 0 and the last one under 40 (though you should shoot for under 20 if you can. Some times local tap waters can inhibit that). Don't let them fool you into pH chemicals, and magical cycling gemmics. If the tanks do go through a mini-cycle, a few extra water changes will straighten things out.  

Akari_32

Cowgirl-with-heart

Friendly Nerd

5,650 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:15 pm
Akari_32
Yaaaay happy bunny! I miss my bunnies...

For the fishies, what are they in now? If they've got gravel and plants already, then just move all of that over to their new tanks, and put them in. There will be enough good bacteria in each of their previous homes to support them in their new tanks. Just keep an eye on the parameters (most pet stores will test the water for free, just bring in a small sample). Really all you're worried about is ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. The first two should be 0 and the last one under 40 (though you should shoot for under 20 if you can. Some times local tap waters can inhibit that). Don't let them fool you into pH chemicals, and magical cycling gemmics. If the tanks do go through a mini-cycle, a few extra water changes will straighten things out.
right now they are in like, 2-3 gallon tanks, both have gravel, but only one has plants. I got my female later, and I didnt want to mix any plants back and forth yet, but I will give her some bamboo when I put them in their new tanks. I am not worried about the PH cause our water has a PH of 7, which is usually perfect for everything. The new tanks have little filters though, so I wasnt sure if that would be ok to put them in right away, or wait, Jonah STILL has some fin rot, either that or he hooks it on his bamboo all the time, he seems happy though, but he will be much happier with his new tanks I am sure....  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:12 pm
As long as they have a place to get away from the flow of the filter, adding them straight away really should be fine. Just be sure turn the heaters on so that they start working right away, and acclimate the fish to the temp of the new tanks.

If the filter bother either of them, you can baffle it very easily. I usually just cover the intake with a sponge (AquaClear makes cheap sponges, and I just buy the biggest ones and cut them to size), and put some sponge right before the output, after the cartridges. Do your filters have cartridges?

And a note on bamboo: the leaves need to be exposed to air or it will die. It's a slow growing plant, so it will not show the signs right away, but it will start to rot, and the leaves will start falling off.  

Akari_32

Cowgirl-with-heart

Friendly Nerd

5,650 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:24 pm
Akari_32
As long as they have a place to get away from the flow of the filter, adding them straight away really should be fine. Just be sure turn the heaters on so that they start working right away, and acclimate the fish to the temp of the new tanks.

If the filter bother either of them, you can baffle it very easily. I usually just cover the intake with a sponge (AquaClear makes cheap sponges, and I just buy the biggest ones and cut them to size), and put some sponge right before the output, after the cartridges. Do your filters have cartridges?

And a note on bamboo: the leaves need to be exposed to air or it will die. It's a slow growing plant, so it will not show the signs right away, but it will start to rot, and the leaves will start falling off.
oh I didnt know that about bamboo, that explains why the short one died haha, the other one has a little exposure to the air, I might just get some fake plants and raise the bamboo to be big then I can put it in smile and yes the filters have cartridges, this is what I got for them, I had actually better set it up for a week or two, and monitor the heaters to make sure they wont get too hot now that I think about it, just in case of mess ups or something....  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:21 pm
Yes it would LOL A nice alternative would maybe be some Apongenton bulbs. They can bought at WalMart, too. Not sure how'd they do with the LEDs though. But provided they got ambient light, I think they'd be fine. They are pretty uncaring plants.

So those tanks come with the Tetra 10i. They are pretty good little filters for low bioload fish like bettas. I would recommend not using the carts at all. Instead, use sponges. Carts really don't need to be used how they are advertised, and the ones with carbon are more trouble then they are worth unless you've just gotten done with a run of meds. Again, AquaClear makes the cheapest sponges, and you can buy the biggest ones and cut them to size. Sponges do not need to be replaced unless they are litterally falling apart, which takes years. Instead, they just need a little squeeze in siphoned tank water every week or two. I buy mine at PetSmart. They are also sold at PetCo.

The Tetra Heaters are very reliable, assuming that's what you got. I love mine. One is almost as my 10 gallon Walmart kit (7 or so years) and its still kicking. It takes about 24 hours for the temp to come up to where it needs to be and stablize when the tank is first set up.

If you decide to wait to add the fish, also wait to add their gravel and such.  

Akari_32

Cowgirl-with-heart

Friendly Nerd

5,650 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:47 pm
Akari_32
Yes it would LOL A nice alternative would maybe be some Apongenton bulbs. They can bought at WalMart, too. Not sure how'd they do with the LEDs though. But provided they got ambient light, I think they'd be fine. They are pretty uncaring plants.

So those tanks come with the Tetra 10i. They are pretty good little filters for low bioload fish like bettas. I would recommend not using the carts at all. Instead, use sponges. Carts really don't need to be used how they are advertised, and the ones with carbon are more trouble then they are worth unless you've just gotten done with a run of meds. Again, AquaClear makes the cheapest sponges, and you can buy the biggest ones and cut them to size. Sponges do not need to be replaced unless they are litterally falling apart, which takes years. Instead, they just need a little squeeze in siphoned tank water every week or two. I buy mine at PetSmart. They are also sold at PetCo.

The Tetra Heaters are very reliable, assuming that's what you got. I love mine. One is almost as my 10 gallon Walmart kit (7 or so years) and its still kicking. It takes about 24 hours for the temp to come up to where it needs to be and stablize when the tank is first set up.

If you decide to wait to add the fish, also wait to add their gravel and such.
I will wait on the gravel, I dont know what kind of heaters I got, but I can find out tomorrow (the tanks are still boxed up as are the heaters in Smokeys room, and I dont want to bother him) what kind of sponges do you use? I havent been too into aquariums for like 12 years xD  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:35 am
I'm pretty sure you'll get Terta brand heaters. Tetra and Walmart are buddies.

I use AquaClear (Made by Hagen) sponges. You won't find them at Walmart. You'll have to go to PetSmart or PetCo, or a locally owned store.  

Akari_32

Cowgirl-with-heart

Friendly Nerd

5,650 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:21 pm
Akari_32
I'm pretty sure you'll get Terta brand heaters. Tetra and Walmart are buddies.

I use AquaClear (Made by Hagen) sponges. You won't find them at Walmart. You'll have to go to PetSmart or PetCo, or a locally owned store.
Like this? when you first said sponges, I thought you meant like, a kitchen sponge LOL and how do you wash them again?  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:21 pm
Yep, just like that! smile All you have to do to them is squeeze them out in siphoned tank water every couple weeks, or as needed. Water changes should be done weekly or so.  

Akari_32

Cowgirl-with-heart

Friendly Nerd

5,650 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:18 pm
So can I use just do it in a bucket of water that I like, scoop out of the tank, or does it HAVE to be siphoned? Thanks for the help biggrin  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:11 am
Siphoned would be better, that way you can clean the gravel too. If you haven't cleaned the gravel all this time, you're in for a big surprise when you go to move them LOL  

Akari_32

Cowgirl-with-heart

Friendly Nerd

5,650 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:53 pm
Akari_32
Siphoned would be better, that way you can clean the gravel too. If you haven't cleaned the gravel all this time, you're in for a big surprise when you go to move them LOL
lol well, I have only had Princess Amber for a few months, but Jonah I have had for almost a year, and I did clean it once (he had an under water filter for the longest time) because he got stuck UNDER the filter, the crazy maniac!  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:31 am
Be ready for a poop storm :p  

Akari_32

Pets & Animals Main Forum

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas