Reply Pets & Animals Main Forum
So, a chicken allergy? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Akari_32

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:23 pm
Just emailed TOTW! Hopefully they'll send me some samples. Lots of samples would be great lol Save me some money.... <.<

Anyways, I guess he's been keeping mom up all night scratching and chewing himself. I checked him over just now because he was going at it so much so that I had to physically stop him several times (which only stopped him for a few seconds). No fleas, and no but bites (he likes to play in any hills, for some reason). Just itchy!

The redness has moved to behind his ears and his paws and "ankles" now, too. Hopefully TOTW can do something about his itchiness, and maybe even help with his tear stains.  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:07 pm
Success! smile

Quote:
Dear Danielle,

Thank you for your interest in Taste of the Wild.

Any of the Taste of the Wild foods are appropriate choices for most dogs. The Sierra Mountain and Pacific Stream are the two that I recommend for less active dogs or dogs with food sensitivities. They both have lower fat and calories than the other two formulas and are limited in protein sources (Sierra Mountain is lamb and Pacific Stream is fish). The High Prairie and Wetlands both contain a blend of protein sources and have higher fat (18% instead of 15% in the other 2). The newest addition, Southwest Canyon, has 29% protein and 15% fat. It contains a blend of protein sources as well.

I would be happy to send you some samples to try. However, you did not include a complete name and physical address with your initial inquiry. Please reply back with this information and we will send those your way.

Sincerely,

Dawn
Customer Service

Gave her my address and hopefully I'll Have those with in a week. smile  

Akari_32

Akiska

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:20 pm
Ailinea
The most common allergies are corn, soy, grain, and chicken,Egg, beef, pork, milk and fish are also pretty high on the list from what I understand. Also an interesting note; some dogs are allergic to cooked chicken but not to raw chicken.

Of course I advocate raw, but I know it's not ideal for everyone. I think switching to a grain-free food is a great place to start. You might also consider looking for food with "different" proteins like lamb, duck, venison, bison, etc. Fish is OK, but usually used for weight management and doesn't contain much fat. Not really ideal, but you can always try it. You can also try adding a good-quality fish oil supplement to your dogs food. I recommend looking for human-grade fish oil compared to pet specific fish oil, and make sure the oil doesn't contain "mixed tocepherols" which is mostly soy-derived.
Duck, venison, bison, rabbit, are good choices, not the cheapest out there but still worth it in the long run for your pet's comfort. Legs, feet, flanks, around the eyes and the sides of the tail are common chew/itchy spots with allergies, also depending on the severity of the allergy vomiting after eating, and softer stools due to digestive irritation.  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:18 am
Akiska
Ailinea
The most common allergies are corn, soy, grain, and chicken,Egg, beef, pork, milk and fish are also pretty high on the list from what I understand. Also an interesting note; some dogs are allergic to cooked chicken but not to raw chicken.

Of course I advocate raw, but I know it's not ideal for everyone. I think switching to a grain-free food is a great place to start. You might also consider looking for food with "different" proteins like lamb, duck, venison, bison, etc. Fish is OK, but usually used for weight management and doesn't contain much fat. Not really ideal, but you can always try it. You can also try adding a good-quality fish oil supplement to your dogs food. I recommend looking for human-grade fish oil compared to pet specific fish oil, and make sure the oil doesn't contain "mixed tocepherols" which is mostly soy-derived.
Duck, venison, bison, rabbit, are good choices, not the cheapest out there but still worth it in the long run for your pet's comfort. Legs, feet, flanks, around the eyes and the sides of the tail are common chew/itchy spots with allergies, also depending on the severity of the allergy vomiting after eating, and softer stools due to digestive irritation.

TOTW has 2 puppy foods. Salmon, and Venison and Bison. $12 for a 5 pound bag, which is perfect for our budget. I dont know if I'll put him on a puppy food or a regular food. He's pretty much done growing...

His poops have been getting harder, so he's starting to settle into his Innova, but he's itching more and more, poor guy. Hopefully we'll get that food soon.  

Akari_32

Akiska

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:16 pm
I hope so too, it is also suggested that you do not buy the same food every time, but find 2 or 3 that don't bug him and switch them every time, because constant exposure to the same thing can increase sensitivity to it. Poor Pandora had blood blisters, and hives, and was throwing up everywhere until we found a food that worked for her.  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:11 am
Akiska
I hope so too, it is also suggested that you do not buy the same food every time, but find 2 or 3 that don't bug him and switch them every time, because constant exposure to the same thing can increase sensitivity to it. Poor Pandora had blood blisters, and hives, and was throwing up everywhere until we found a food that worked for her.

I wondering about that. Do I need to completely switch brands or just flavors? Bentleys not that bad (yet <.<), but he has gotten some sort of puss filled blister on his chest that he bothered till it popped. It's hard to say with him whether it was food related or bug related. He likes to chase bees and play in ant hill (his legs are covered in ant bites now, too).... -_-  

Akari_32

~ Aki - Fairy ~

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:43 am
Akari_32
Akiska

I wondering about that. Do I need to completely switch brands or just flavors? Bentleys not that bad (yet <.<), but he has gotten some sort of puss filled blister on his chest that he bothered till it popped. It's hard to say with him whether it was food related or bug related. He likes to chase bees and play in ant hill (his legs are covered in ant bites now, too).... -_-

That's up to you. I personally vary flavours monthly, generally (since my dog goes through a bag a month), and try to feed a different brand a couple times a year (since the ingredients will be from different areas and nutrient levels will be different and all - just to change things up)  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:20 pm
Ok then smile

Also, would it be ok to put him on an adult food yet? He's almost 4 months, 5.5 pounds. How do you guys feel about All Life Stages foods? I have a list of foods going here. Puppy, ALS, and adult. Thoughts on them?

Wellness Simple
Pinnacle
Canidae
Taste of the wild

The Blue Buffalo guy was at Pet SuperMarket (my last stop after PetSmart and PetCo), and even he said his second choice, to Blue, would be TOTW. Not sure if it's because I was looking at it when he came over to see Bentley, or because I told him we were looking for something with out chicken. I have considered Blue Buffalo, but it's just more than I can spare right now, even if it is just by a few dollars. I've got other creatures to feed beside Bentley.  

Akari_32

Pets & Animals Main Forum

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces