Submit

Kithy Kitty

Familiar Browser

5,650 Points
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Partygoer 500
  • Marathon 300
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:53 am
We are planning a trip to visit my home around Christmas time and I just don't feel comfortable taking Nanaki on a plane with us. It might be different if we ended up driving but.. well, my husband has never driven on the snow so I don't think he wants to do the 20+ hour drive up there.

In short, Nanaki will need to stay with someone.

No one that I know personally would be willing to keep him for four days.

How do I go about finding a decent place to keep him? He needs to be supervised when he's in our bedroom so letting my in-laws watch him is just a no-go... they won't keep an eye on him and he'll likely find and eat something dangerous. I just can't trust them. But I'm just as wary of kennels and places like that.

Anyone have any advice?  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:01 am
GAAH the more I think about this the guiltier I feel!!

I mean, back when he had the pacifier removed and was all well to go home they could not get him to eat at all. This is a dog that loves to eat. They finally said that since Poms are notoriously snooty that he probably won't eat at home.

What if he won't eat while he's at a pet hotel? :<

He's basically my baby but flying with him just scares me so much.. I looked it up and they can fly in the cabin with you but you have to make reservations and ugh this is so stressful.  

Kithy Kitty

Familiar Browser

5,650 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Marathon 300

~ Aki - Fairy ~

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:47 am
What about flying with him makes you nervous?
As far as having him in the cabin and having to make reservations - won't you be doing that anyhow when you book your tickets? (personally, I just can't imagine planning a trip, especially around the holidays, without pre-booking, but maybe that's just me)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:01 pm
I'd start by calling your vet..you know them and a lot of vet offices also board. The one I take my dog to when I have to go away for longer then a night or two (where the neighbors can watch them) even has a 'pampered' boarding rate, it's like 10 dollars extra a night but they get brushed and treats and extra one on one time so I think it's worth it.

If you vet doesn't board they might know a good reputable place somewhere close by.  

JetAlmeara

Eloquent Raider

SmoothSavage

Eloquent Gawker

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:02 pm
If he can fit in the cabin, I'd take him. I'd NEVER fly my dogs cargo, but cabin would be fine.  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:48 am
Savage Destiny
If he can fit in the cabin, I'd take him. I'd NEVER fly my dogs cargo, but cabin would be fine.

any idea what the size limit is for dogs flying in the cabin?  

Shanna66
Captain

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200

SmoothSavage

Eloquent Gawker

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:46 am
Shanna66
Savage Destiny

Pretty small. They have to be able to fit in a carrier under the seat.  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:52 am
Savage Destiny
Shanna66
Savage Destiny

Pretty small. They have to be able to fit in a carrier under the seat.

well thats a shame, but understandable i guess  

Shanna66
Captain

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200

Kithy Kitty

Familiar Browser

5,650 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Marathon 300
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:31 am
The whole thing in general stresses me >.<

I hate flying. With a two year old, that's stressful enough. But a kid and a dog. Omigosh.

Plus our flight, if we can fly at all, will likely be booked so close to last minute I highly doubt any cabin reservations will be open :<

I'm sincerely hoping that we can just drive up there.  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:37 am
I used to work at a boarding kennel, and we definitely all loved working with the dogs. Clients could pay an extra $2 and would get 15 minutes of play time for their dog, which included anything they wanted (petting, brushing, fetch, tricks). Sometimes if we got bored we played with dogs anyway without the extra fee. I believe that most kennels and kennel techs are in it for the dogs, and unless you have reason to suspect otherwise, your dog will be in good hands.

I highly recommend calling the facility ahead of time to schedule a tour. If they will not allow you a tour (without an excellent reason), especially not willing to show you where your dog will be staying, then don't board there. If you can find a facility that does NOT require bordatella, jump on that. I think bordatella vaccines are pointless and do more harm than good.

Best of luck to you. smile  

Ailinea

Pets & Animals Main Forum

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces