Reply Pets & Animals Main Forum
Senior rattie*UPDATES* Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Should I do the surgery?
  Yes, she won't live much longer if you don't
  No, you will waste your money when she dies shortly after.
  OMG, I dunno!
View Results

Kithy Kitty

Familiar Browser

5,650 Points
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Partygoer 500
  • Marathon 300
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:47 pm
Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
Kithy Kitty
Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
Honestly... I don't really want to think about the money. Will it influence WHERE I get it done yes, I do want to save money if possible. But the actual decision of what to do with her, I don't want money to decide that. I want what is best for HER. I want her to live as long as possible while still comfortable. From what I've discussed with the vet. Pain management is their #1 goal. Because they don't make rat sized e-collars, they need to be sure she is not in any discomfort so she doesn't scratch, like etc her tumor. So it's not that the surgery itself will stress her out. The way I understand it, while her body is focused on healing, she may be at risk of catching a disease. THIS seems to be the biggest risk of doing the surgery. The surgery itself sounds pretty simple and easy.
See if you can tour where they would keep her after t he surgery.

When we got our newest kitten the city had him neutered at their selected facility (we actually found him, dropped him off at the shelter and decided to adopt him later that day) and when we got him from being neutered he ended up with a really bad kitty cold that nearly killed two of our cats. Their facility sucked.

If they won't let you back to see where they will be keeping her afterwards then I'd be a bit uneasy. How long does she have to stay at the vet office in recovery before you can take her home?

A friend of mine works there. The clinic was recommended to me by her and another animal health tech. I know it's a good clinic. I have read about the possibility of administering antibiotics in senior or immune comprimised rats after surgery. So I'll discuss that with him too. The thing is...I wana be there when they premix her. Which... Typically never happens unless you work there. I just, worry that if I drop her off. I may never see her alive again. I know it's a low risk but, it's still possible. So I wana be with her till she falls asleep. I know at my clinic they would let me do this. And I could stay with her while she wakes up too. I believe I can take her home later the same day.
I completely understand that feeling.. it's hard to trust anyone with our babies fully. I would hope they wouldn't mind you being back there. I've been in the back of my vet's office while they were doing surgery to look at an xray.  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:52 am
It's not being in the back that's problematic for them. Typically they have a drop off time, usually right after the clinic opens. But depending on the schedule, they rarely start right away. If you have 5 surgeries you still have all the dogs dropped off in the morning and each one has a surgery time. That's how it goes at my clinic, we never have clients waiting around for us to be ready to start surgery. I dunno if it's different at this clinic cause its much smaller. I suppose I could always ask...nothing ventured nothing gained. I'm also not sure that the premix will even put her to sleep. It's not usually meant for that, it's just a sedation so they don't panick or struggle. In dogs we use a different premix and it varies greatly, from barely affected, to completely asleep.  

Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
Crew

Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:01 pm
Ugh, kill me now...she has another one, the size of a pea near her armpit. I guess I'll get em both out, and then ask about the implant for preventing them from coming back  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:01 pm
Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
Ugh, kill me now...she has another one, the size of a pea near her armpit. I guess I'll get em both out, and then ask about the implant for preventing them from coming back
thats probably a good idea, I have heard that rats on soy diets can live to like, 7 HOWEVER I dont know how to do it or anything, BUT, my point is, if tumors arent an issue, she could live a fair bit longer, also, good idea to get it all done at once...  

Cowgirl-with-heart

Friendly Nerd

5,650 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Pie Hoarder by Proxy 150
  • Treasure Hunter 100

Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:18 am
Cowgirl-with-heart
Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
thats probably a good idea, I have heard that rats on soy diets can live to like, 7 HOWEVER I dont know how to do it or anything, BUT, my point is, if tumors arent an issue, she could live a fair bit longer, also, good idea to get it all done at once...

Well now I'm thinking it might have been good I waited. I can't imagine spending that money then finding another so soon. The rate they grow she'd need surgery again in another month. Hopefully this one being so small won't affect the price too much. The anesthesia is 70% of the total cost so really if she's under just get em all! I'm not sure but I feel her teeth may need to be filed as well. She has one tooth quite a bit longer than the other. But what worries me is how something like that happens? Like is she having problems with her mouth now?  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:21 pm
Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
Cowgirl-with-heart
Gabrielle_AnimalLuver

Well now I'm thinking it might have been good I waited. I can't imagine spending that money then finding another so soon. The rate they grow she'd need surgery again in another month. Hopefully this one being so small won't affect the price too much. The anesthesia is 70% of the total cost so really if she's under just get em all! I'm not sure but I feel her teeth may need to be filed as well. She has one tooth quite a bit longer than the other. But what worries me is how something like that happens? Like is she having problems with her mouth now?
maybe she chews on one side more? IDK D:  

Cowgirl-with-heart

Friendly Nerd

5,650 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Pie Hoarder by Proxy 150
  • Treasure Hunter 100
Pets & Animals Main Forum

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash