Reply Pets & Animals Main Forum
Meet Henry (/The Bieb's/Puppy)! Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Akari_32

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:55 am
As an very early birthday present to my mom, since her 14 year old lab died back in march while we were on vacation, I got my mom this adorable this guy smile I surprised her, which I know can be risky, but she absolutely loves him smile He still doesn't entirely nane a name yet, but Henry is seems to be sticking.

In the car, on the hour ride home, he didn't cry once. He did give me sad-puppy face when he got woke up, but other than that, slept the whole way home, cuddled up with a little stuffed dog I got him :3

User Image

The lady said he's already crate trained (which he pretty much is! He slept most of the night, and only whined a bit to go out side, which mom said he didn't go, and I woke up at 7:15 to him whining cause he pottied in his bed), and almost house trained!

He's really sweet and quite, not a trouble maker at all, considering (half) his breed, and his age. He's fine with either cuddling you, or being left to his own devices on the floor. He's not really sure what to do with toys, other than cuddle and chew on the soft ones, but squeaking them and moving them around really fast makes him perk is freakishly adorable ears up, and follow its movement :p Oh, oh! And he knows "drop it" and "no" biggrin Working on "come", and "go potty", and on how to walk on a leash. He doesn't like that lol

So! We are going to play a little game of "Guess That Breed!", and "Name the Puppy!" razz Here are some more pics :3

User Image

Mom loves him smile

User Image

In his favorite spot under the coffee table XD

User Image  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:56 am
oh my god so cute!  

Shanna66
Captain

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200

Akari_32

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:52 am
Isn't he?? He weighs 3.6 pounds, and is 9 weeks old :3 Any guesses on breed yet? wink

I do have a question; when should we neuter him? He's so tiny.... >.<  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:44 am
Definitely some kind of terrier mix, I would guess Jack Russel, mixed with either a chihuahua, or a yorki. You will have to talk to your vet about when to neuter him, different vets have different weight limitations. I think he looks like a "Jack" xD (Ironic considering I am pretty sure he has some Jack Russel in him)  

Cowgirl-with-heart

Friendly Nerd

5,650 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Pie Hoarder by Proxy 150
  • Treasure Hunter 100

Akari_32

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:35 am
Cowgirl-with-heart
Definitely some kind of terrier mix, I would guess Jack Russel, mixed with either a chihuahua, or a yorki. You will have to talk to your vet about when to neuter him, different vets have different weight limitations. I think he looks like a "Jack" xD (Ironic considering I am pretty sure he has some Jack Russel in him)

Jack Russell is half of it, yes lol the other half is very unexpected (to me, anyway lol) :p His other half is a companion dag, and it's fluffay wink

I'm going to ask our vet tomorrow, yeah. I gotta take one of the big dogs to get some blood work done, so I might as well ask while I'm there lol

He's back to having no name lol we were calling him Henry, now we are torn between that, Eddy, and something else... I forget...

I want to stock up on his food while it's on sale and I have a coupon for it. How long can I keep an unopened bag of food?  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 1:46 pm
He is too cute!!! And omg, tell your Mommy I love her hair, style and color!!

I got Nanaki neutered when he was about 6months old so my guess is somewhere around there.

As far as food goes.. assuming it's dry kibble of some kind, I think it keeps for awhile. I buy Nanaki the smallest bag of the kind I get him and it lasts awhile without getting stale or anything. So without being opened I'd think a bag would last you quite a while.

The best thing I can say is keep it away from any heat or sunlight. I had my basset's food near the heater in winter and oh God the smell was awful. Thought I was gonna puke.  

Kithy Kitty

Familiar Browser

5,650 Points
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Partygoer 500
  • Marathon 300

Akari_32

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:25 pm
Kithy Kitty
He is too cute!!! And omg, tell your Mommy I love her hair, style and color!!

I got Nanaki neutered when he was about 6months old so my guess is somewhere around there.

As far as food goes.. assuming it's dry kibble of some kind, I think it keeps for awhile. I buy Nanaki the smallest bag of the kind I get him and it lasts awhile without getting stale or anything. So without being opened I'd think a bag would last you quite a while.

The best thing I can say is keep it away from any heat or sunlight. I had my basset's food near the heater in winter and oh God the smell was awful. Thought I was gonna puke.

Her hair is natural wink Oh, and she finally decided on the name Bentley smile

I asked the vet about neutering, and they said 5 1/2 to 6 months.

I have him on Innova puppy food, mixed with Puppy Chow (what the previous owner had him on). I had to buy him a 15 pound bag of Innova to start off with, but he's got a 6 pound bag of Puppy Chow (I only plan on using this long enough to get him off of it, then donating it to a wildlife rescue, as they use a lot of dog food for baby birds and coons), and then today, because I want to get as much of his food as I can while I have the coupon, I bought a 6 pound bag of Innova, the size I wanted to get in the first place lol I put it away, and did actually find an expiration date, which is almost a year away, so that's good smile I need to find the epiration date on the 15 pound bag, now... It's fall now, so I can keep the new bag in the garage and it'll keep it cool out there smile  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:14 pm
Once open, food should be used within about 6 weeks, as it's losing/lost a fair bit of nutrients after that. (15pounds will probably last you a good three months, at least [it took three to four when I'd bought a 15lbs bag of Innova for my dog when she was a pup, she's about 12 pounds full grown])
I believe if you freeze it (in ziploc baggies kind of thing) it'll keep a bit longer.

Unopened, it should be good for quite some time, so long as it doesn't get any tears and whatnot.

I'd wait till he's around full grown to neuter, personally (the hormones that come from being intact are good for development). Keep in mind that it's possible for him to start mating as young as like four months old, though.

-word of advice, you may want to find a new home for books and such (the stuff under the coffee table); I know with my dog, when she was teething paper was something she loved to chew on-

~ Aki - Fairy ~

Akari_32

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:54 am
~ Aki - Fairy ~
Once open, food should be used within about 6 weeks, as it's losing/lost a fair bit of nutrients after that. (15pounds will probably last you a good three months, at least [it took three to four when I'd bought a 15lbs bag of Innova for my dog when she was a pup, she's about 12 pounds full grown])
I believe if you freeze it (in ziploc baggies kind of thing) it'll keep a bit longer.

Unopened, it should be good for quite some time, so long as it doesn't get any tears and whatnot.

I'd wait till he's around full grown to neuter, personally (the hormones that come from being intact are good for development). Keep in mind that it's possible for him to start mating as young as like four months old, though.

-word of advice, you may want to find a new home for books and such (the stuff under the coffee table); I know with my dog, when she was teething paper was something she loved to chew on-

Perhaps I'll pull most of the food out of the bag and freeze it then. How long will it last in the freezer?

So what? A year old, you think? Or a sooner or later? He's already almost half his estimated full grown size.

I know this sounds crazy, but we don't puppy proof our house. Not even kid proof for that matter. He's gunna want to know what stuff is whether he's a puppy or an adult, and we might as well teach him not to bother non-doggy things while he's young. We've raised numerous dogs this way smile  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:14 am
Akari_32
Perhaps I'll pull most of the food out of the bag and freeze it then. How long will it last in the freezer?

So what? A year old, you think? Or a sooner or later? He's already almost half his estimated full grown size.

I know this sounds crazy, but we don't puppy proof our house. Not even kid proof for that matter. He's gunna want to know what stuff is whether he's a puppy or an adult, and we might as well teach him not to bother non-doggy things while he's young. We've raised numerous dogs this way smile

That I don't know, as it's not something I've really looked into/tried. It's just something I heard of from the user Keyona.

Small dogs are usually done growing by about nine months, but I'd just wait until he seems to have stabilized with growth and all. Being a mix, the estimated size only goes so far (I was told my small dog's a bichon-yorkie mix, her parents being like eight and ten pounds... she's anywhere between eleven and fifteen, generally, at full grown)

~ Aki - Fairy ~

Akari_32

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:42 am
His dad is 5 pounds (a Maltese) and his mom is 9 or 10 (a 15 inch jack), and he's the run of the litter. Shouldn't get too much bigger than he is now, other than getting taller. Mom is all legs lol  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:54 pm
Small dogs tend to be nippy and chew happy. If there are important things you really value and would be upset if they were ruined, put them away until he learns better.

My pup destroyed some rather important things that I didn't even know he could reach ~_~ The guilt...

Be firm early on about how play biting is a huge no. Very firm. I was wishywashy on it and Nanaki is terrible about biting. It's a long journey to get him to stop now.  

Kithy Kitty

Familiar Browser

5,650 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Marathon 300

Akari_32

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:13 am
Kithy Kitty
Small dogs tend to be nippy and chew happy. If there are important things you really value and would be upset if they were ruined, put them away until he learns better.

My pup destroyed some rather important things that I didn't even know he could reach ~_~ The guilt...

Be firm early on about how play biting is a huge no. Very firm. I was wishywashy on it and Nanaki is terrible about biting. It's a long journey to get him to stop now.

There's nothing important under the table. That's why it's all under there, nobody loves it XD

He's getting treated like the big dogs were. I can't stand people letting their small dogs get away with stuff because it's "cute" or "not going to hurt anything" scream  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:40 pm
Akari_32
Kithy Kitty

There's nothing important under the table. That's why it's all under there, nobody loves it XD

He's getting treated like the big dogs were. I can't stand people letting their small dogs get away with stuff because it's "cute" or "not going to hurt anything" scream
No kidding @_@

I got incredibly sick just after getting my pooch so I wasn't able to take control of it in the beginning >.<  

Kithy Kitty

Familiar Browser

5,650 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Marathon 300

Akari_32

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:26 am
Took the little guy to the vet yesterday to get his shots, and he was such a good boy smile Ooh! And they gave up a free one month dose of heart guard plus and and frontline plus! So that's nice. Don't have to worry about that for another month, now.

I have a question though, his injection site really hurts him. Every time we accidentally touch it, he helps! sad Should we be worried about that?  
Pets & Animals Main Forum

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff