HURRRR NURRRR
  Anyone else hate it when people write like that? c;
View Results

Fuit Gummy

Sweet Gaian

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:19 pm

Long story:
I used to read all the time~ It was enjoyable, until I went
into the 6th grade. English class made reading a chore, so I stopped liking it.
I'm not a senior in high school, I haven't read a book since then. Even the
assigned ones in class. Well, my last year of high school is being spent in a
new school program. Independent Study. So, I HAVE to read. Well, this is
only the second book they gave me. But it was so boring.
Catcher In the Rye was decent (1st book) But, Ethan Frome is horrible. I
finished it and all, but it reminded me why I stopped reading.. I was hoping
someone, anyone knew any books that could help me not hate reading
anymore emotion_yatta

Short story: Don't like books! Being forced to read! READING TERRIBLE BOOKS! Anyone know any good ones?

Preferably-- Something on the lines of decent? emotion_eyebrow
I've tried reading books that I like, genre wise
HORROR
But there are absolutely no scary books. [ Lol ]

Anyone have any good reads? Any good horror-bound reads?
I mean, I wanna get back into reading but all these books are soooo horrible,
all about sex and vampires and how messed up their lives are.

[ Seriously, authors, seriously? Stop being emo. ]

Any bookworms are appreciated. ^^

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:52 pm
I don't read much horror fiction XD However, I have heard good things about Stephen King's "The Tommyknockers" and "The Shining"  

Yonakii

Rainbow Admirer

RyuShikyo Yagari

Blessed Giver

7,550 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Explorer 100
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:04 pm
I found The Monstruumologist series by Rick Yancy to be a good read. It's of the horror genre, it has little to no romance in it, and it's filled with blood and gore~

ah and yes I know what you mean, that's why I have been starting to dislike the horror genre... I sorta wonder how the heck they even consider vampire/ or whatever else romance novels as horror...  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:20 pm
The Shining kept me up at night for weeks... and I'm usually tough to crack, most horror just makes me laugh at the over-the-top ridiculousness of it.

Misery, too, because I find crazy people terrifying. Note that this is not a slur against people with mental illmesses. There's bipolar, there's ADD/ADHD, there's schizophrenia, postpartum depression, PTSD.... and then there's Annie Wikes-style batshit insane. That freaks me out no end.  

Isis Sister Of Osiris

Lonely Girl

15,250 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Supreme Supporter 500
  • Cash Grabber 500

StrayKit

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:39 pm
well on the theme of Stephen King, It is good if you don't mind clowns, Carrie isn't that scary but it's great anyways, so is Firestarter, The Dark Half is also a good one and 'Salem's Lot even though that one has vampires but they aren't preteen, sparkling, overly emotional, whining, undead annoyances like they're slowly turning into now.

of course you can't beat classics either, The Curious Case of Doctor Jekyll and Mister Hyde(probably spelled that wrong) is also a great read but is more suspense i guess, Dracula is good too even if it's another vampire book. also, they aren't scary but i'd also suggest the Grimm FiaryTales. they're a lot of the stories we heard as kids, and even more that people haven't, but it isn't the sugar-coated happy sunshine and bubbles version.  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:58 pm

I know how you feel about school assigned books being boring.
                      For my grad year I was stuck in English Lit and Composition.
                      Basically reading old s**t and analyzing the heck out of it.
                      We had to read Tess of the D'Urbervilles. I never got past the fourth page.
                      The writing was so drawn out and bland. I ended up reading the wiki entry.
                      Heart of Darkness was another we had to read that I just couldn't get into.

Cadenza of the Heart

Inquisitor

Scorned Nightmare

Liberal Raider

5,800 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:33 am
I got forced to read The Joy Luck Club, Timeline, and The Host, so I feel for you. I would suggest the In Death series by J. D. Robb. It's a slightly futuristic crime/murder mystery (until about halfway, then the mystery is lost to the reader) series, with some sex, but that's not the whole plot. Heavy on drama, with a hell of a lot of humor. That's about all I got right now. That's the problem with trying to think at 2:30 in the morning.  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:44 am
If you're really into horror as I am. I would definitely recommend Stephen King. He is one of my favourite authors, though some of his books aren't like super "OMG! That's so scary!" A lot leave you thinking and some are really creepy and eerie. He deals with real horrors in life as well as the supernatural. Some of my favourites by him are The Stand, Insomnia, Under the Dome, The Shining, Desperation and Duma Key. Though to be honest I really enjoyed everything I've read of his. IT is also pretty scary, though at the beginning it can be a little dry, it's also kind of daunting because it's sooo long (like 1200 pages or so). For someone who doesn't enjoy reading as much, start with short story compilations like Full Dark,No Stars or Everything's Eventual. Even try Different Seasons, it only has for stories but 3 were made into movies.  

Prelude to Murder

Shadowy Bibliophile

Harmonic Tune

Astral Phantom

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:05 pm
I DO NOT RECOMMEND ANYONE TO READ IMMORTAL. I cant remember the author but the book cover had a blue amulet and water like as the background. It was about a girl who moved into a type of private boarding school she meets some guy evernight she visits but she notices somethings wrong. Anyways her friends an her get wind, water, etc elements as powers but thats till like the last 2 chapters. There is no concept or reason behind it. I thought it be intesting but it wasnt. I almost blew my head off! I cant believe I stick to it till the end! If you want to read it be my guest but Im warning you it sucks. I saw a second book in BN how I knew was because the cover had a red amulet with fire instead of blue  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:54 am
Mathilda Savitch is an awful book. talk2hand

Also wouldn't advise:
The Golden Compass series
Hunger Games
Harry Potter
Twilight
A Tree Grows in Brooklyn
The Castaways of the Flying Ducthman
Adventures of a Shoppaholic  

Green_crayon42

Interesting Gekko

JohJohTheMahdern

Hallowed Bunny

15,800 Points
  • Prayer Circle 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Nudist Colony 200
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:00 pm
You may want to try Mr. Shivers by Robert Jackson Bennett. It's kind of funny that the author wasn't trying to write a horror novel but he's always being told "That book is totally a horror novel, man!" Hahaha. It's set in 1930s America and has all kinds of death and superstitious magic in it.  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:43 pm
Rhyou
I DO NOT RECOMMEND ANYONE TO READ IMMORTAL. I cant remember the author but the book cover had a blue amulet and water like as the background. It was about a girl who moved into a type of private boarding school she meets some guy evernight she visits but she notices somethings wrong. Anyways her friends an her get wind, water, etc elements as powers but thats till like the last 2 chapters. There is no concept or reason behind it. I thought it be intesting but it wasnt. I almost blew my head off! I cant believe I stick to it till the end! If you want to read it be my guest but Im warning you it sucks. I saw a second book in BN how I knew was because the cover had a red amulet with fire instead of blue
Lol, that sounds like pretty much every one of the daydreams I had about wanting to have elemental powers. It's a nice fantasy but definitely not substantial enough to write a book on unless you put a good twist on it. What does the title 'Immortal' have to do with it, anyway?

As for good books I'd recommend, there isn't much I can say that hasn't been said already. I haven't been reading at all and I'm not into horror stuff. The last 'horror' novel I read was Cold Moon by Jeffrey Deaver and it was alright, I guess. Kind of tame stuff.

Stuff I didn't like? Herm...I read one of the Maxium Ride novels and when I finished, I was like "That's it? Why do so many of my friends like this s**t?".  

getmeoffthishellsite

Hot Lop

Harmonic Tune

Astral Phantom

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:37 pm
Captain Silas Manner
Rhyou
Lol, that sounds like pretty much every one of the daydreams I had about wanting to have elemental powers. It's a nice fantasy but definitely not substantial enough to write a book on unless you put a good twist on it. What does the title 'Immortal' have to do with it, anyway?

As for good books I'd recommend, there isn't much I can say that hasn't been said already. I haven't been reading at all and I'm not into horror stuff. The last 'horror' novel I read was Cold Moon by Jeffrey Deaver and it was alright, I guess. Kind of tame stuff.

Stuff I didn't like? Herm...I read one of the Maxium Ride novels and when I finished, I was like "That's it? Why do so many of my friends like this s**t?".

Twist? Like say getting your powers wasnt a coinsidense or accidential but experimented and you had suffered memory lost throughtout the process and the events that acurred after that was to draw out power and since experimenting was illegal your a lost ginipig people tring to exteminate all evidence. Yea who doesnt want to have superpowers hehehe ... Wait im just repeating maximun ride except replacing wings with powers arent I? My bad

To answer your question, dunno why the name just get people attention to read but wow it was misleading, maybe the ghost had something to do with it cant remember or cuz the girl wanted to spend "eternity" with the guy  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:01 pm
Hmm...I would suggest you reading The Last Apprentice series by Harper Collins if you like the horror genre cause its a good series (even though I havn't finished it). Personally I'm not scared of reading a horror genre book but I'm the complete opposite when it comes to horror movies lol. I hope this suggestion comes to good use to you smile  

Eclairl

Lavish Flatterer

11,825 Points
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Generous 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100

getmeoffthishellsite

Hot Lop

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:06 am
Rhyou

Twist? Like say getting your powers wasnt a coinsidense or accidential but experimented and you had suffered memory lost throughtout the process and the events that acurred after that was to draw out power and since experimenting was illegal your a lost ginipig people tring to exteminate all evidence. Yea who doesnt want to have superpowers hehehe ... Wait im just repeating maximun ride except replacing wings with powers arent I? My bad
Not saying the book was a bad idea, I just didn't find it to be as great as the people that recommended it to me said it was.  
18. ✿ - - - Books

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff