Crew

Dangerous Shapeshifter

7,700 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:30 am
Ladies and gents,

as you all know the DCU and YJ Rpg's have been considered for reboot for a number of reasons and while the crew and I have done a fair bit of brain storming on our own, we're going to be opening up the floor to all of you to help make it the best it can be.

So here's a few things to consider right away:

1. The Reboot will from now on be known as Project Phoenix because the current chapter of the rpg's are coming to their end but from their ashes shall rise the next chapter, bigger, better and even more original than ever before! Yes, this does mean that P.P. is not wiping out all the history we've created so far but rather it'll add on top of it, as the next chapter of our story.

2. Does this mean it's Crisis on Infinite Earths, Infinite Crisis or even the New 52? No, we had used those existing titles as a way to try to bounce around ideas and get feed back on how people felt about them. Not a single one of them is what we're basing this on and so for all intents and purposes, don't worry about the implications of such titles as while we may draw inspiration from some material to flush out our own ideas, we will not be following one story or another entirely because let's be honest, we never have, we do what we like and enjoy it!

3. There has been a lot of confusion over character creation, so I'm going to break it down a little more here in hopes to make it more understandable.

3.A) You do not have to make an entirely original design for your characters but you are encouraged to tweak things to make your future role playing experience fresh and exciting for yourself because honestly if you've been playing the same character for years, you're bound to tire of it eventually right? So why not give yourself a new writing challenge, collaborate with others on ways your choices can influence each other and build upon it! Ex: Cassandra Cain will still essentially be Cass but Bruce and Selina are her biological parents, she's gifted at martial arts but not a trained weapon so she's not going to be as awesome in fighting as she once was but her mortality rate is now more apparent and due to not being raised by David Cain to be a weapon, she no longer lacks the ability to speak but certain events will still lead her to become a Batgirl (Black Bat) and be a serious opponent for enemies because of how good she is at her martial arts. So she's the same but not, thus allowing a new creative license when exploring her story.

3.B) There was the question about characters 'falling through the cracks' and thus currently existing characters crossing over to the new chapter. This will be possible but for a very limited few characters and for specific narrative reasons only. There are two such characters that I know for sure are considered for this and both role players gave excellent proposals for why it could be possible and it's being taken into consideration as plans are finalized.

3.C) How big of a change must you make on your characters should you wish to tweak them? That is up to you. I provided the Cassandra example as what I'd consider a minor to perhaps medium change where as if you read Ilpalazzo's new take on Powergirl which was inspired by the movie Hancock, it's definitely a much larger change because while maintains her names and powers, how she gets to Earth, grows accustom to things and deals with her life is very different from the canon story. Even characters like Eric's OC Nightmare have had a complete over haul which breaths a whole new field of role playing possibilities into it. So think about what you do and don't like about your characters (or characters you might like to portray in the future) and have some fun with it!

4. Back to the story at hand, a question that came up a lot was how far back must you reboot your story? That again is up to you. The main idea is to go back to the 'Year One' idea that comics have done and explore that vital first year where everyone becomes who they are best known for being but don't feel obligated to do such. Some writers are far more happier to write history as it happens while others want it flushed out and go from there, so I'm giving you the option to work with which ever style is most comfortable for you. EX. Bruce Wayne is going to be in his first year as Batman, he'll have the knowledge and skills but not the wisdom and timing that comes from years of practice. Where as Joker is going to show up like a nightmarish mystery because he's already the Joker but he won't have that urge to get Batman's attention yet because he's new to GC and has yet to make his presence truly known.

5. Are we going to start up Project Phoenix before or after the current stories wrap up? Well that's been in the air for a long time now and there is a lot of favour for both options. For the moment, it's still up for debate because I think it'd be better for us to take advantage of this thread and really collaborate and decide on what we want as a group to make sure we're all on the same page before we move forward.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

These were some of the initial things I wanted to try and clear up, hopefully it's more grounded now but of course if you have any questions or concerns please post them here and we'll work on it.

Also, this is a planning thread so if you have ideas for DCU, YJ or PP, bring them forward so we can all work together on this. All idea's will be respected and considered equally of course. I don't think I should have to say this but there should be no rejections or rude remarks because of what someone proposes. The best way to handle something you are not in agreement with is to politely ask the question why and see where the thought process comes from. This is after all a brain storming group, so be respectful or you'll be getting a pm from me. twisted  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:37 am
I am so ready for this. Great job, your examples explain it well and give me a lot of inspiration.

I have no real questions. I think we may need to talk about the side-kicks point though. I love to see refreshing origins and especially Year One settings so I'll definitely be doing that but that lead me to ask where we're putting our side-kicks too.

For example, NuSith, if you don't mind me asking, are you retaining Damian's and d**k's ages even though Bruce has only begun?

NuSith

I'll quote him, but he's a little busy right now, huh? ... Same question posed to anyone, I'm trying to figure out my route.

Samurai-Senpai

Dapper Dabbler

NuSith

Versatile Lunatic

14,150 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Battle: Rogue 100
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:21 am
I'll have to scale their ages accoording to whatever age Bruce will be I guess. I'm not too sure.
I'll be able to catch up some on friday if I don't get busy at the tattoo parlor.
I will have a few days off next week to play internet catch up lol.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:38 am
Well I was pretty sure Sith that you wanted Richard/Nightwing to be completely separate from Bruce/Batman so realistically the age thing won't effect you.

As for side kicks, it really depends on what you want to do. For example, last I heard Sith wanted d**k to be completely separate from Bruce and when he costume suits up and he goes right to Nightwing. Yoshi was thinking of having Jason Todd not 'exist' in the new universe but rather the current one some how falls through the dimensions and lands in the new one... Red Hood, confused of what's going on and considered a raving looney. So moving on to Tim, he's the biological child of Bruce and becomes the first Robin with his biological sister Cassandra not far behind in suiting up as Black Bat. Now as for Damian? Well... we'll have to brain storm and see what you want to do, I'm sure we can think of something.  

DarkReaper40k
Crew

Dangerous Shapeshifter

7,700 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Treasure Hunter 100

Samurai-Senpai

Dapper Dabbler

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:10 pm
DarkReaper40k
As for side kicks, it really depends on what you want to do. For example, last I heard Sith wanted d**k to be completely separate from Bruce and when he costume suits up and he goes right to Nightwing. Yoshi was thinking of having Jason Todd not 'exist' in the new universe but rather the current one some how falls through the dimensions and lands in the new one... Red Hood, confused of what's going on and considered a raving looney. So moving on to Tim, he's the biological child of Bruce and becomes the first Robin with his biological sister Cassandra not far behind in suiting up as Black Bat. Now as for Damian? Well... we'll have to brain storm and see what you want to do, I'm sure we can think of something.

Oh, okay, nice. I was going to just scale ages too, but I can do that... Barry'll be 'round 26-28, so I can just have Wally be 19/late teens. He's just his Nephew after all, not his son or anything, so that should work.... Just have to figure out what Wally's alias will be...

Anyways, yes, I'll probably do a mix of those. If you figure out something for Damian then tell me because I'll see if I can do something similar for Irey. If not, I can take her out, no big deal.

On the other hand, If we still have our 1st Gen sidekicks stay side-kicks then we can do some type of Teen Titans thing if we want, have it run concurrently with Young Justice. Maybe they could even have somewhat of a team rivalry, fighting to see who's the best side-kick group. Hahah, wierd. That probably wouldn't work, I'm just shooting around strange ideas.

NuSith

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:53 pm
The way I was going to play Damian was that he was a street kid that d**k ends up taking in, much like Bruce took in d**k in the original story. Damian would be Nightwing's sidekick Tallon. i can keep his age the same at 10, I wanted d**k to be about 25ish.
He would be a cop by day and decided to take matters of the law into his own hands at night.

I'll be on tomorrow night to brainstorm some more. I might keep Red Arrow Roy's version Roy and Lian pretty much the same too. If anyone comes along wanting to play either of those charcters then thats cool. Or if Dark wants to take d**k back. I'm open for brainstorming.  

NuSith

Versatile Lunatic

14,150 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Battle: Rogue 100

DarkReaper40k
Crew

Dangerous Shapeshifter

7,700 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:18 pm
Sith, Richard is all yours. I'm quite interested to see what you do with the character.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:47 pm
I'm still hammering out ideas for my characters.

Nightmare balancing his life as a College Student and being a Government funded Super Soldier to oppose Meta-Humans.
Virginia is a happy and bubble Country Girl who is happily married who will become this grim and brooding vigilante after her husband is killed.
Helena setting up to be the criminal version of Barbara Gordon, in brains, beauty, and lethality.

Till working on the Harvey, Greg, and Leo.

If anyone wants a connection to them, let me know.  

Eric Coldfire
Captain

DarkReaper40k
Crew

Dangerous Shapeshifter

7,700 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:49 am
Eric I'm curious to know, how many of your Canons will you be playing in PP?

Tempest25
In the reboot universe will blackest night still have occurred, just differently?

Yes and No Tempt. Are you familiar with the complications of time line manipulation and parallel universes created due to such things?

PP will be the next chapter of our story and everything that has happened will still have happened but as far as our characters are concerned, their stories are just starting with no knowledge of their past selves because history gets rewritten and rather than start the new chapter where we leave off and show how it effects them there... we're going right back to where it all gets effected and building an entirely new history with the parallel universe.  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:57 am
The way Barbara set it up it was, 5 characters per rper but you get an extra if you've been with the rp for more than a year.

Currently, I have Vigilante, Huntress, and Two-Face as cannons, and SWAT, Spartan, and Nightmare as oc's.  

Eric Coldfire
Captain

Zane Strife
Crew

Distinct Genius

7,350 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:19 am
I'm going to stick with Kaldur, with an edit to his background being m main priority for him. Gonna come up with some ideas whilst I'm away on holiday (apologies, I only found out this morning). So, that's my canon.

I will have to consider my next character carefully, as I have big plans for him...my plan is to take control of 'Thomas Wayne Jr', or 'Lincoln March', and have him as a Talon, much like how Bruce is a very early Batman. From this, I will work into his future role as 'Owlman', though how is still under wraps - I mean, my original plan was to have him escape from the Court, and seek sanctuary with Batman, in do good for the city as Talon. Then, during a possible Night of Owls arc, he will have to 'upgrade' in order to truly seperate himself from the hired-assassins. Possibly turn vigilante, with no qualms for killing.

Subject to change though. Any thoughts/ideas/issues?  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:01 pm
Other than Damian becoming Talon, I don't see an issue.  

Eric Coldfire
Captain

Zane Strife
Crew

Distinct Genius

7,350 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:30 pm
Batman and Robin/Black Bat...

...Owlman and Talon.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Edit; someone beat us to it!. Although, Damian looks more like an Assassin from Assassin's Creed.  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:36 pm
Yeah, you guys might be able to have some fun together. I think Damian may have changed his Alias to Sparrow, though. He's really great at making names...

Which reminds me, I still can't figure out mine for Wally West. I'm thinking... Speed Demon, but that may be too villainous. My other top name was Lightspeed, and that's... I just don't know if it has much of a 'Flash' style to it; reminds me more of Quicksilver or something.

AND I figured out my YJ character, been searching for the perfect character for so long, and now I've got it: Firestorm. Think it'll be Jason Rusch, and as part of the Reboot style depictions, I'll have Prof. Stein be an A.I. Inside the Matrix. So... Kind of like Blue Beetle III, but the A.I.'s less Alien Weapon and more Robot Butler. It's going to be awesome. That'll be my third character after Wally and Barry.

Samurai-Senpai

Dapper Dabbler

Eric Coldfire
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:37 pm
Actually I think its just a name, Damian is Nightwing's sidekick, while Tim and Cassandra are Bruce biological kids with Selina.  
The City Streets

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff