Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Occult Research Society

Back to Guilds

A guild devoted to the study of the occult, in all its forms. 

Tags: Magick, Psionics, Supernatural, Paranormal, Occult 

Reply The Occult Research Society
Ummm...I need...something.. Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Yogurto

4,750 Points
  • Noob wrangler 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Popular Thread 100
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:57 am
go for it. vengeance spells are an assertion of personal power. don't let nobody -- no, nobody! -- tell you when or how or why to use your power.

all i'll say is that we're all connected so when you hurt or do harm to someone else you are also doing something to harm yourself. this may manifest as the x3 rule or it may not.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:42 pm
I think the general idea of this guild is to teach people to use power responsibly, not to tell them "Yeah! Assert yourself! Curse the b***h!"
You'd be surprised how much you can do with white magic. Perhaps find a spell that is used to resolve conflicts peacefully. That'll do you a world of good. The real problem with black magic like curses is that as you use them, you grow addicted and use them more and more. Even for petty things.

If there is workaround with white, do it with white.
If it needs black, you aren't looking at it from the right angle.  

Sonkurra-Taichou

Dapper Guildsman

7,400 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Conventioneer 300

Breakfast Sex

Romantic Lunatic

10,050 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Megathread 100
  • Generous 100
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:58 pm
Yogurto
go for it. vengeance spells are an assertion of personal power. don't let nobody -- no, nobody! -- tell you when or how or why to use your power.

all i'll say is that we're all connected so when you hurt or do harm to someone else you are also doing something to harm yourself. this may manifest as the x3 rule or it may not.

Thank you. I know... i understand the consequences... after of such harm of course. 3nodding

I no longer need any help though. I was curious 2 months ago... because of something but it's resolved - and no, it wasn't because of any harmful magick. but thank you for all the opinions anyway.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:07 pm
Sonkurra-Taichou
I think the general idea of this guild is to teach people to use power responsibly, not to tell them "Yeah! Assert yourself! Curse the b***h!"
You'd be surprised how much you can do with white magic. Perhaps find a spell that is used to resolve conflicts peacefully. That'll do you a world of good. The real problem with black magic like curses is that as you use them, you grow addicted and use them more and more. Even for petty things.

If there is workaround with white, do it with white.
If it needs black, you aren't looking at it from the right angle.

Addicted to black magick?? O_o ... lol... i've never heard of that before... sweatdrop  

Breakfast Sex

Romantic Lunatic

10,050 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Megathread 100
  • Generous 100

Yogurto

4,750 Points
  • Noob wrangler 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Popular Thread 100
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:03 am
is anyone else troubled by the black magic/white magic binary?  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:50 am
Yogurto

Don't get me wrong, of course there are shades of grey. (Ha.)
However curses are DEFINITELY black magic, no matter how you look at it.  

Sonkurra-Taichou

Dapper Guildsman

7,400 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Conventioneer 300

Yogurto

4,750 Points
  • Noob wrangler 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Popular Thread 100
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:12 pm
Sonkurra-Taichou
Yogurto

not for me, they aren't! i don't label magic or spells with colors -- i use colors for other purposes in my craft. i also don't appreciate the fact that witches use "black" to signify evil & "white" to signify good. not saying you're doing this, just something i've noticed. this is racist language & really only seems to serve a white imperialist witch. also, like, to me, magic isn't moral or immoral -- it's just energy given form, purpose, direction, etc. people who call themselves "white witches" or "black witches" are drawing on recognizable imagery, but it doesn't sit well with me.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:13 pm
Yogurto
Sonkurra-Taichou
Yogurto

not for me, they aren't! i don't label magic or spells with colors -- i use colors for other purposes in my craft. i also don't appreciate the fact that witches use "black" to signify evil & "white" to signify good. not saying you're doing this, just something i've noticed. this is racist language & really only seems to serve a white imperialist witch. also, like, to me, magic isn't moral or immoral -- it's just energy given form, purpose, direction, etc. people who call themselves "white witches" or "black witches" are drawing on recognizable imagery, but it doesn't sit well with me.

The fact that you just used the term racist in reference to magic made your entire post invalid.  

Sonkurra-Taichou

Dapper Guildsman

7,400 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Conventioneer 300

Yogurto

4,750 Points
  • Noob wrangler 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Popular Thread 100
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:41 pm
Sonkurra-Taichou
Yogurto
Sonkurra-Taichou
Yogurto

The fact that you just used the term racist in reference to magic made your entire post invalid.

it does? how so?  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:06 am
Yogurto
Sonkurra-Taichou
Yogurto
Sonkurra-Taichou
Yogurto

it does? how so?

How so? Arguing with someone who doesn't even understand the term "Racist" isn't worth my time.
There was no race involved here at all. And the fact that you used it just makes me believe you have no idea what you're talking about.

If you want to say I have a bias against types of magic, you're right. And for good reason too. Because for years, I WAS a black magic addict. It's not the magic itself that's bad, it's the power. Power by nature corrupts. Black magic makes things easier. It's a shorter method to the means. The problem is it's usage requires a much higher cost, often at the expense of yourself or others.

And to add to the record, people other than Witches can perform magic. Anyone, whether they be a "White imperialist witch" or otherwise, can form an opinion about magic. I'm not a witch at all.  

Sonkurra-Taichou

Dapper Guildsman

7,400 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Conventioneer 300

Yogurto

4,750 Points
  • Noob wrangler 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Popular Thread 100
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:26 am
Sonkurra-Taichou
Yogurto
Sonkurra-Taichou
Yogurto
Sonkurra-Taichou
Yogurto

it does? how so?

How so? Arguing with someone who doesn't even understand the term "Racist" isn't worth my time.
There was no race involved here at all. And the fact that you used it just makes me believe you have no idea what you're talking about.

If you want to say I have a bias against types of magic, you're right. And for good reason too. Because for years, I WAS a black magic addict. It's not the magic itself that's bad, it's the power. Power by nature corrupts. Black magic makes things easier. It's a shorter method to the means. The problem is it's usage requires a much higher cost, often at the expense of yourself or others.

And to add to the record, people other than Witches can perform magic. Anyone, whether they be a "White imperialist witch" or otherwise, can form an opinion about magic. I'm not a witch at all.

whoa, sorry for the confusion, friend. i was merely pondering the state of the english language, how we associate "black" with evil & bad things (terms like "blackhearted" & "blackmail" spring to mind) whereas "white" gets associated with goodness & purity. i'm really thinking only on a linguistic level here. i'm not sure i like the idea of employing terms like "black magic" & "white magic" because we've given the words "black" & "white" racial connotations as well as moral connotations. does anyone else hear "magic performed by/for white people" when they hear the phase "white magic," or "magic performed by/for black magic" when they hear the phrase "black magic"? if you start to think of it that way, you can see how these words have racial connotations, & perhaps begin to see the racist slant to our conceptions of white magic as good & black magic as bad.

the term "black magic" also seems to frequently carry a level of exoticism, because people use it to refer to practices they feel are forbidden, dangerous, mysterious, damaging, addictive, foreign, etc. "white magic," on the other hand, is uplifting, inspiring, revelatory, etc.

i dunno. i'm just thinking a lot these days about the intersection of race & magic. i wasn't calling you racist, & i sincerely apologize! also, you're totally right about people other than witches being capable of performing magic. i didn't mean to lump anyone under an umbrella term that they do not use for themselves!  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 4:35 am
How can I help? Do you want me to do the curse? And what type of curse and how powerful?  

Stoned Viking

Interesting Smoker

Breakfast Sex

Romantic Lunatic

10,050 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Megathread 100
  • Generous 100
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:17 am
Tyr Hymirson
How can I help? Do you want me to do the curse? And what type of curse and how powerful?

ha, i kinda wished i knew you could have helped months ago. XD lol...
but i don't need any help now.

Thank you for the offer. I might ask you (is it okay?) another time?

And do you work with this type of magick? Just curious.
You have experience?  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:54 pm
THe law of karma says whatever you do unto others comes back to you times THREE
so stay safe, and reconsider,
If you do go through with a curse or vengence, Good luck and I hope the return of three isn't bad D:  

Beb-Beb

Eloquent Fatcat

The Occult Research Society

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas