Back to Guilds

Tags: pets, animals, dogs, cats 

Reply Pets & Animals Main Forum
Is this animal cruelty? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Do you consider it animal cruelty to make a dog ride on the roof of a car?
YES
100%
 100%  [ 19 ]
NO
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 19

imderanged

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:21 pm
Is it cruel to make a dog ride in a crate tied to the roof of a car traveling on the highway for 12 hours? If the dog loses control of it's bowels is it OK to hose the dog down with cold water from a gas station hose and then continue traveling? I would like to hear your opinion!  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:18 pm
If you're talking about Mitt Romney's appalling treatment of his family's Irish setter, yes, I do think it's inhumane. And once it was brought to light and he pretty much shrugged it off and laughed about it goes to show how much compassion he has for living things, whether it be dog or human. Yeah, I want him running my country. :  

Ailinea

imderanged

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:47 pm
Ailinea
If you're talking about Mitt Romney's appalling treatment of his family's Irish setter, yes, I do think it's inhumane. And once it was brought to light and he pretty much shrugged it off and laughed about it goes to show how much compassion he has for living things, whether it be dog or human. Yeah, I want him running my country. :

Yes, yes I am. And it looks like he is the Republican nominee for President of the United States of America *facepalm*

I am not going to go into any other issues I may or may not have with this man's candidacy since this is a PETS not a POLITICS forum...
BUT REALLY, is this any way for ANYONE (repub or dem) running to represent our entire nation (those of us who live in the USA) to treat their "pet"? What kind of person does that & laughs about it?  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:52 am
imderanged
Ailinea

Yes, yes I am. And it looks like he is the Republican nominee for President of the United States of America *facepalm*

I am not going to go into any other issues I may or may not have with this man's candidacy since this is a PETS not a POLITICS forum...
BUT REALLY, is this any way for ANYONE (repub or dem) running to represent our entire nation (those of us who live in the USA) to treat their "pet"? What kind of person does that & laughs about it?

probably someone who is a vick fan  

Shanna66
Captain

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200

Akari_32

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:16 am
Kill them. Kill them all.  
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 6:42 am
I'm not really sure if its that cruel for them to be on top of a car for a road trip if they are in a kennel. but the other half is pretty crapy. Especially if he didn't make stops to let the dog out to run around or pee/poop.

I haven't heard about this!!!  

imabadspeler

Magnetic Prophet

Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
Crew

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 7:15 am
imabadspeler
I'm not really sure if its that cruel for them to be on top of a car for a road trip if they are in a kennel. but the other half is pretty crapy. Especially if he didn't make stops to let the dog out to run around or pee/poop.

We're talking about a highway here, the wind going through that kennel would be so strong, probably cold, not to mention the safety issues if they actually got into an accident. And 12hrs is a LONG time to be trapped ontop of a car moving 80miles an hour  
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 6:53 pm
Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
imabadspeler

We're talking about a highway here, the wind going through that kennel would be so strong, probably cold, not to mention the safety issues if they actually got into an accident. And 12hrs is a LONG time to be trapped ontop of a car moving 80miles an hour

I suppose you are right there. I never really thought about that. Some people are too country to realize a dog has feelings too. xd In general pets are never really safe in a car accident. because there really is not a safe way to secure them. Plus having kenels/loose dogs around can actually turn them into a object that can end up hitting you and hurting you in a car accident.  

imabadspeler

Magnetic Prophet

Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
Crew

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 4:43 am
imabadspeler
Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
imabadspeler

I suppose you are right there. I never really thought about that. Some people are too country to realize a dog has feelings too. xd In general pets are never really safe in a car accident. because there really is not a safe way to secure them. Plus having kenels/loose dogs around can actually turn them into a object that can end up hitting you and hurting you in a car accident.

I meant that inside the car he has that metal to protect him, outside nothing between him and another car, or the impact I believe could cause the crate to fall and at that speed the dog would likely die hitting the pavement in that crate.
Inside the car, crates are pretty safe if they are either tied down or secured between seats. My cat rides in his carrier on the floor, so back and front seats prevent him from moving anywhere.
There is actually laws, though not well known and not enforced, that state an animal must be confined or tied. To prevent them from hitting you. There's many models of doggy seatbelts now. Essentially harnesses that clip into the seatbelt clip. I know that's probably above and beyond what someone like this would think of. But he could have simply put the crate in the trunk. (assuming its a minivan or a hatchback.  
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 5:34 pm
Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
imabadspeler
Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
imabadspeler

I meant that inside the car he has that metal to protect him, outside nothing between him and another car, or the impact I believe could cause the crate to fall and at that speed the dog would likely die hitting the pavement in that crate.
Inside the car, crates are pretty safe if they are either tied down or secured between seats. My cat rides in his carrier on the floor, so back and front seats prevent him from moving anywhere.
There is actually laws, though not well known and not enforced, that state an animal must be confined or tied. To prevent them from hitting you. There's many models of doggy seatbelts now. Essentially harnesses that clip into the seatbelt clip. I know that's probably above and beyond what someone like this would think of. But he could have simply put the crate in the trunk. (assuming its a minivan or a hatchback.

Im sorry, lol Im not fighting or anything but. If you read into car accidents theres three impacts. The first one would be you and the car, the second would be your body on the steering wheel or dash. The third is something that happens internally eg your internal organs hitting your bones. If a dog was even in a crate tied down inside a car and the car gets hit all that momentum is being transferred to the dog inside the crate so he will slam against it with the same force the car hit you at. or wrose, If the crate is tied in the back and you get rear ended that dog could be crushed.

I just feel like pets are not that safe in cars. lol They are so many unpredictable circumstances.  

imabadspeler

Magnetic Prophet

imderanged

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 2:23 pm
Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
[But he could have simply put the crate in the trunk. (assuming its a minivan or a hatchback.

It was a station wagon.  
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 2:35 pm
imabadspeler
Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
imabadspeler
Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
imabadspeler

Im sorry, lol Im not fighting or anything but. If you read into car accidents theres three impacts. The first one would be you and the car, the second would be your body on the steering wheel or dash. The third is something that happens internally eg your internal organs hitting your bones. If a dog was even in a crate tied down inside a car and the car gets hit all that momentum is being transferred to the dog inside the crate so he will slam against it with the same force the car hit you at. or wrose, If the crate is tied in the back and you get rear ended that dog could be crushed.

I just feel like pets are not that safe in cars. lol They are so many unpredictable circumstances.

I can understand what you are saying...NO ONE is really SAFE in a care accident! Even if a person is sitting with the seat in the correct position, belted in, and the airbag deploys, the person can still be injured! But they have a BETTER chance of walking away from the accident if all the precautions are taken than if they aren't wearing a belt, driving some death trap Jeep, hanging their arms out the window, etc. I see this as very similar. There is always a risk that in a bad accident a dog correctly secured in a crate inside the vehicle may injured if he is slammed against the sides of the crate, but the chance of injury and the probable severity of injury increases when the crate is on the roof and could easily become dislodged in the accident sending it flying and posing a risk not only to the animal but to people too.  

imderanged

imderanged

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 2:46 pm
imabadspeler
...Some people are too country to realize a dog has feelings too. xd ...

Mitt isn't "country", He was raised in Bloomfield Hills, Michigan, one of the top 5 wealthiest cities in the country. He is worth something like "$200-and-some-odd million."(his own words) He could have easily paid someone else to transport the dog or have him kenneled rather than transporting him that way. He just didn't care.

Coupled with the recent reports of how he treated his classmates at "prep school" (high school) I think Mittens might just be a sociopath.  
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 9:27 am
they should not allow animal cruelty to animals animals deserve respect as to their owners so no i don't think they should be on top of a car for some 10hr or so road trip cause that's not right :/  

XxHoney_ZempiexX

Kithy Kitty

Familiar Browser

5,650 Points
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Partygoer 500
  • Marathon 300
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 1:44 am
Ugh. Anyone that abuses animals needs to be beaten with a hammer.

When I was in the car for nearly 20 hours to visit home we brought my little puppy with us. He was probably about five months old, I think. He sat on the floor of the passenger seat on his doggy bed and we stopped frequently for water, food and walk breaks, hence why it was 20 hours.

I know a lot of people transport their hunting dogs in the back of their pickup trucks. I suppose this might be okay if it isn't too hot/too cold and the kennel is strapped down securely and only for a short time or with breaks but.. I don't like it.

And I REALLY hate it when I see a dog in the back of a pickup that's allowed to free roam in it, not tied down or in a kennel. Called the police on that one <_<  
Pets & Animals Main Forum

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff