Welcome to Gaia! ::

THIS IS HALLOWEEN: Crossroads

Back to Guilds

This is Halloween Crossroads 

Tags: This is Halloween 

Reply { ARCHIVED } ------------------ Four Clans Meta, April 2012
✥ { CLASS } -------------------Combat Readiness & Weaponry Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 ... 52 53 54 55 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Sosiqui

Enduring Muse

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:56 pm
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. The elevator creaks as it bears the students upwards, separating them into small groups for the ascent into the treetops. A breeze faintly scented with sea salt and heavy with pine and earth shakes the elevator for a moment before it lurches to a halt, dropping a few stomach-churning feet to bring itself level with their destination platform.

The platform itself is a vast open space, the wood flooring smoothed by many feet over who knows how many years. Here and there support branches jut through the floor; along the edges netting has been erected, clearly temporary in nature - this Clan has no need of such protection, but cleaning up splatted students would be a messy, unpleasant business. They have made the concession.

The platform offers a splendid view of treetops and, in the distance, the sea - but that's not what the students have been brought here for. A circle of low benches surrounds the central area, along with several large baskets filled with simple sparring pads, clearly of fresh manufacture just like the netting. Weapons racks hold simple swords, bows, quarterstaves, and a few more esoteric weapons - but their teacher is keeping a close eye on those, in case any student gets a bright idea.

Ah, yes, the teacher - there is a woman of War here, a tall, proud figure clad in black and gold, her white hair held back in a tightly curled ponytail. Black wings stretch from her back, and her golden eyes are bright with curiosity and good-natured challenge. There is a bow in her hand, of apparently mundane craftsmanship, but far higher quality than the bows on the racks.

"Let me take a look at you... children," she says, her voice easily cutting through any chatter. "Oh my.... hm. Hmmm." A smile tugs at her lips. "I see. We had better get started right away if there's to be any hope for you... sit down, children. I am Cybele, and I will challenge you to greater heights than you have yet known."

Class Roster

Shehk- demon_pachabel ✥✥✥
Amphi- Nyxtsuki Moon ✥✥✥
Circe- ~Kiana_Nala~ ✥✥-
Edel- Zyphiris ✥✥✥
El Greco- Euphoric Ghost ✥✥✥
Whisper- Getsurae *✥✥
Alexander- NeoSeussi ✥✥✥
Yin Cang- ramenli ✥✥✥
Holly- elvyralani ✥✥✥
Mitzi- alliisara ✥✥✥
Ulmuka- iloveyouDIE ✥✥✥
Kemnbi- Katsura Zanshin ✥✥-
Roch- Ice Queen ✥✥✥
Sammy- Miliardo Kason ✥✥-
Danny- chimarii ✥✥✥
Nyyrikki - DarkHeartedSorrows ✥✥✥
Thanatos- Dragain ✥--
Siddie- Prolixity ✥*✥
Shun Kuroda- Blade Kuroda ✥✥✥
Canon- Zee Oddwyn ✥✥✥
Joachim Von Helmar - hanging gallow *✥✥
Herryk- pinchmonster ✥✥✥
Amrita- Enoh Love -✥-
Tybalt- OnionGrump ✥✥✥
Sheridan- Amon Larethian ✥✥✥
Riley- Nio Love ✥✥✥
Jove- Grey Dragon ✥✥✥
Calder- MoonKitsune ✥*✥
Deacon- Hitsuzen -✥*
Nadia- The_Great_Book_Wyrm ✥*-
Pokerus- poke mattix ✥✥✥
Renshu - Minsuil ✥-✥
Mirac Trice - Anguis Lingua -✥✥

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:57 pm
[Introduction]

"Now, then - I am quite sure that I don't have to explain to you why the arts of War are vital and important." The Horsewoman grins at them all, an amused spark in her eyes. "I would wager that most of you have seen 'battle' before, even if you've only sparred with each other or dueled with the amusing little diversions that your kind seem so fond of sending after their young. You all should have at least a basic understanding of your own abilities, the power FEAR gives you... but true prowess comes in being just as dangerous without such things. If you are deadly in any possible circumstance, then - and only then - do you possess real power."

Cybele shifts her bow to her left hand, then holds out her right, palm up. "We of War possess sacred blades, as some of you 'reapers' may." Her fingers twitch upwards, and mist curls forth, solidifying into a four-foot-long, very wicked-looking sword that settles into her grip like an extension of her body. "And a fine and steadfast blade she is... but of what use against an enemy at far remove?" She whips the blade down and points the tip at a circle of red and black, dangling from a thick branch on another tree, at least fifty feet away.

"Alas - I am undone," she says, with a sigh, then grins brightly and releases the sword, which fades into gray smoke before vanishing completely. "But we are of War, children, and all arts of battle are known to us. There is no shame in using the tools of our essence, be they ever so mundane; indeed, there may be greater glory in mastering a mundane weapon, for it takes more skill to understand and wield." The bow is in her hand again, a curve of beautifully seasoned wood; she reaches back and slides an arrow out of the quiver on her back. "And so-"

One moment, she is reaching back for the arrow - in the next, the arrow is shivering on the bow, the bowstring drawn back, the wood of the bow creaking under the force. And then the arrow is gone, a sharp, airy sound the only thing indicating its passage. There is a distant thunk as it hits the far-away target, and then another thunk as a second arrow joins it.

"No magic or FEAR involved, children. Only practice, skill, and knowledge, and yet yon aggressor is as dead as if I had used the fullness of my strength to down him. A strength that I was able to conserve through using other resources... and that was only the beginning." Her smile is sharp and feral now as she draws back one more arrow, unfurling her wings but not leaving her stance on the platform. She releases the arrow, and it seems to hang in the air-

-and then she drives her wings forward, creating a powerful gust. The arrow's fletching catches the wind, and it seems to vanish. After a single heartbeat, the distant target suddenly shatters.

"Now think what you could do if you had such arts available to you." She folds her wings, running one hand over the smooth curve of her bow. "This is War, children: using every resource available to bring victory. All things can be made to serve that singular purpose, with the proper perspective."

OOC Information

- To attract Cybele's attention, please quote Sosiqui - be patient as I do work during the day so may not always be available. I am always unavailable (sleeping!) between 11:00pm-9:00am PST.

- Please pay attention to all deadlines: once a daily task is closed and the next is posted, you cannot go back and complete the previous day's task after the fact! (If you really have no time to RP that day, you can roll and include a placeholder to edit in RP for your character growth, but those who have not completed their tasks with filled-out RP before the deadline will not receive OOC credit for that task.)

- Your student may NOT touch/take the weapons without permission. Anyone doing so will be ejected from the class for that day's task.

Sosiqui

Enduring Muse

Sosiqui

Enduring Muse

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:58 pm
[Day One]

After that display of martial prowess, one might think that it would be time for the students to arm themselves and have at it, but the Horsewoman only smiles and shakes her head every time a student glances longingly at the weapon racks. "You believe yourselves ready to take up weapons?" Her eyes are full of laughter. "I think not, children. There is more to combat than merely waving a weapon through the air. You must prepare yourself - physically, yes, of course, everyone knows that. But mental preparation is far more subtle, and far more crucial. Today, I shall lead you through an exercise in centering oneself prior to battle."

The Horsewoman waits for everyone to seat themselves on the benches before walking to the center of the platform. "It may be that battle comes upon you suddenly - do not ask foolish questions such as what if I can't sit and be quiet for fifteen minutes before every fight. You cannot. This does not invalidate the exercise. You practice now, so you can center yourself in an instant then. It will become instinct. Now." She sits down, folding her legs under her, her back straight. "You must not slump - adopt a comfortable, but ready posture. This pose can be maintained for some time. Sit on the benches or on the floor, as best suits you, spaced away from others so that you are not conflicting with or distracting each other. I will give you a moment."

After the students have shifted seats to their liking, Cybele gives them a calculating look. "It will do," she says, finally. "Now, then. You will close your eyes. You will not make any sound. You will not communicate with others around you in any way - this exercise is about yourself, not about others. If you breathe, slow your respiration. Other than your breath, you will not move. Focus on the environment around you - feel the wind, hear the sound of tree, sea, and sky. Clear your mind. If you are to battle, you cannot allow yourself to be distracted by lesser concerns. The coming conflict is all."

She rises to her feet quietly, her voice dropping into a soothing drone. "If you feel tension, nervousness, or fear about battle, ask yourself why, then answer your own questions as best you can. It may be that you are unprepared - this fear cannot cripple you. You must bring yourself to a state of calm, a state of readiness. Wash all fears away."

"Listen..."

The Task

Cybele has asked all students to take part in a meditation exercise to center themselves before battle. You will roll 4d6 to discover your skill in meditation - the results of each individual dice determines one 'stage' of the meditation exercise. After rolling, edit your post according to your results, roleplaying out your meditative state. Feel free to be introspective, confronting your fears or worries, if any!

Warning: If you attempt to get up, speak, or pester others, Cybele will silently and firmly return you to your seat; if you do this twice, you will be removed from the session and will not receive credit for this exercise. (You may briefly interact with others non-verbally, i.e. mouthing words etc. without arousing Cybele's ire.)

Daily Bonus Mechanics: Undead and Ghosts who do not breathe may automatically add 1 to a single dice roll in their set of four, modifying the results of that one dice. If you are using this bonus, please note it at the top of your post, along with which dice you are modifying.

Meditation: Dice Rolls

First Dice:
1 - Your butt itches. Oh Jack, it itches. You squirm about in temporary agony until Cybele walks by and taps you with a stick. It hurts a little, but it takes your mind off the itch.
2-3 - You close your eyes and do your best to focus, but you're really aware of the small movements the people around you are making. It doesn't seem very calming...
4-5 - You close your eyes and do your best to focus. It is pretty peaceful here, isn't it? The rustle of the leaves in the wind is kind of nice...
6 - You close your eyes and feel the calm of the forest envelop you almost immediately. You can feel the faint sway of the tree under the platform. It's soothing...

Second Dice:
1 - Okay, so maybe this meditation thing isn't so bad. You're getting kind of sleepy... until your impromptu nap is interrupted by a gentle thwack of the stick. Ow.
2-3 - It seems to be working? You feel less distracted, at least, but your mind is still full of a hundred different thoughts and they're a lot harder to block out.
4-5 - The peace of the forest soothes you, and you slowly push out the thoughts distracting you one by one. It's not perfect, but you're getting there.
6 - You manage to slip into a deeper meditative state, soothed by the distant rhythm of the waves. Your body feels distant, but not in a bad way - it's as if your mind is able to focus cleanly on the task at hand without distractions to worry it.

Third Dice:
1 - The thought of potential battle ahead fills you with fear/anxiety/intense self-doubt (choose an appropriate negative reaction for your character). You tense up and lose some of your focus.
2-3 - You remember a past conflict in your life (can be prior to Amityville if you haven't done battle at Amity yet or if you are a visiting quest student) with some trepidation; you doubt your own capability, but this is only practice, isn't it? You're not really going to have to fight right after this... are you? The worry erodes some of your focus, but you're still keeping it together for the most part.
4-5 - You remember a past conflict in your life (can be prior to Amityville if you haven't done battle at Amity yet or if you are a visiting quest student) and wonder what the future will be like. The meditation has calmed you, and you're able to consider your own ability and potential more positively than usual.
6 - You ponder the idea of battle with supreme detachment and calm. You've got this - no matter what's happened in your past, things are going to be different from now on.

Fourth Dice:
1 - As you end the meditation, you realize your legs have fallen asleep under you. Pins and needles ow, jack, oww.
2-3 - You end the meditation feeling a bit stiff and achy - maybe there was something off in your posture? Still, it's nothing a bit of moving around won't cure.
4-5 - You end the meditation feeling okay, physically - not amazing, but not horrible. Better than you usually feel after a class, at least.
6 - You rise to your feet feeling pretty good about yourself, overall - despite everything that may have happened during the meditation, you feel great, physically speaking.

Post this code at the top of your meditation post.

[size=18][color=blue][b]Silence, Please...[/b][/color][/size]

After the exercise is completed, you may quietly descend and are free to do other activities. The next class period will begin on Wednesday, April 4th at approximately 2:30 PM PST.  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:59 pm
[Day Two]

The students are not led up to the usual platform today. Instead, they are shown down a path that winds into the forest away from the treetop village. It's a pleasant walk, but you can't help but wonder what all this is leading up to...

Cybele is standing in a clearing just big enough for all the students. Behind her are a pile of odd, leathery-looking objects stacked like wood. They seem vaguely humanoid in shape, so the fact that they're all stacked up is just a little creepy. "Welcome," the Horsewoman says, gesturing at the objects behind her. "Today, we will be engaging in combat - but not the sort you're used to."

She turns and paces back and forth for a moment, looking at the students carefully. "As I mentioned, you are trained to rely on your FEAR. This creates a false sense of security, and numbs your creativity: your FEAR is the great equalizer, is it not? But what if it misses? What if you cannot exert yourself? What if it would benefit you to use other methods before unleashing your power? If your strategy starts and ends at I will use my FEAR power then you have already lost the fight."

The Horsewoman turns and drags one of the leathery objects off the top of the stack. It is a featureless humanoid doll, life-size, with crude limbs. Its held together with large stitches, like some kind of obscene, lifeless patchwork variant. It has no hair, no face or features; the only thing indicating which side of it is the front is the direction its feet are pointing. "This is a mannequin. We use them to train our children when they are very young." Cybele grins at the students. "They will serve as suitable opponents for you today."

She presses her palm to the thing's forehead, and it glows slightly and straightens, standing under its own power. "There is no life or mind in these mannequins. They have only one purpose: to fight. And this forest will be your battleground." She gestures at the trees all around them. "You will run, children. You will center yourselves, briefly, and then you will run and you will seek out tools in this forest. It may be that you will be forced to fight without proper weaponry and without your power - yes, indeed, I know some of you have claws and teeth that never leave you. What of it? You could be injured, your claws filed down and teeth plucked out. What do you do then?"

There is a long pause as she allows everyone time to consider that.

"So. You will find weapons. You will use the forest itself as a weapon. Either you will defeat your mannequin, or it will defeat you." She tugs down another mannequin and activates it, then another and another. "Don't dawdle, children... run."

The Task

Cybele has left the students in a forest, with one animated mannequin hunting each student. All battles are one-on-one between you and your mannequin opponent - and you can only fight with what you can find! (And no, 'finding' your claws/teeth/Reaper weapon doesn't count. Breaking the rules will result in being ejected from the class for today.)

The mannequins have 15 HP and do a fixed amount of damage every round:

- If you are Y1/a Quest, the mannequin hits for 3 damage each round.
- If you are Y2, the mannequin hits for 4 damage each round.
- If you are Y3, the mannequin hits for 5 damage each round.

When your HP reaches 0, the mannequin breaks your FEAR shield and immediately stops attacking, ending the battle. They do not do any damage greater than that regardless of your dice roll - if you have 2HP and the mannequin hits you, it will only do enough damage to precisely destroy the FEAR shield before halting its attack. You cannot dissipate in this exercise!

With each post you make, you must roll 3d6. The first dice determines what item your character found to use as a weapon during that post. The remaining dice determines the result of their attack using that item. Please read the mechanics carefully as each weapon has a different result.

If you take out the mannequin before it takes YOU out, you are victorious!

Daily Bonus Mechanics: If you rolled a total of 12 or more (the flat result, not counting any modifications from bonus mechanics) in yesterday's class OR if you have the ability Beginner Lucky Chance, you can add 1 to your weapons selection (first) dice in ONE round of your choice. So if you rolled a 2 on your first dice, you could use your bonus and change it to a 3 instead!

This mechanic does stack, so if you got 12 or more yesterday AND have Beginner Lucky Chance, then you can add 1 in two separate rounds. Lucky you!

Weapon Mechanics

Remember, roll 3d6 in each post!

If your first dice is a ONE or a TWO:
You find a stick. In a forest. Not very inventive, but it works.

-- Subtract 3 from the total of the remaining dice to get the damage you do to the mannequin.
--- (I.E. my dice roll is 1 - 3 - 2. 3+2 = 5. 5 - 3 = 2 damage dealt.)

If your first dice is a THREE:
You find a sturdy vine. You might be able to do something interesting with this... maybe strangling or setting a trap?

-- If the total of your remaining dice is odd, you get cunning and set up a trap between two trees! The mannequin walks into the vine and takes the full damage of those remaining dice, no modifier.
-- If the total of your remaining dice is even, you use the vine as a strangler or whip. Subtract 3 from that total to get the damage you do.

If your first dice is a FOUR:
You find... loose dirt. Wait, how could this possibly help?!

-- If the total of your remaining dice is odd, you throw the loose dirt into the mannequin's face! It is blinded and does no damage to you this turn!
-- If the total is even, you miss your shot and nothing happens.

If your first dice is a FIVE:
You find a hefty rock! This could be useful...

-- Subtract 2 from the total of the remaining dice to get the damage you do to the mannequin. Mmm, delicious blunt trauma.

If your first dice is a SIX:
You find a beehive full of angry bees and chuck it at the mannequin!

-- Subtract 2 from the total of the remaining dice to get the damage you do to the mannequin. In addition, the bees continue to do 1 damage to the mannequin for the next two rounds, no matter what. (So even if you miss your attack next round, the bees still deal 1 damage.)

Post this code at the bottom of each post you make, to keep track of things.

[b]HP:[/b]
[b]Opponent's HP:[/b]
[b]Weapon This Round:[/b]
[b]Effect/Damage This Round:[/b]
[b]Bonus Mechanics:[/b] [n/a - used - using in this post - unused]
[b]Previous Posts:[/b] [Link ALL posts you make here, so that in the end you have a complete listing of your battle session! Post 1, post 2, etc.]

When you've won or lost, put the appropriate results code at the top of your last battle post.

Victory:
[size=18][color=green][b]SWEET VICTORY![/b][/color][/size]
[quote="Sosiqui"][/quote]

Defeat:
[size=18][color=red][b]ARRGH, DEFEAT![/b][/color][/size]

After the exercise is completed, you may return to the village, free to do other activities. The next class period will begin on Thursday, April 5th at approximately 2:30 PM PST.  

Sosiqui

Enduring Muse

Sosiqui

Enduring Muse

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:59 pm
[Day Three]

The third day sees a return to Cybele's platform: when the students arrive, the Horsewoman is already there, busy inspecting the weapons on their racks. Could it be? Is it finally time to fight with actual weapons?

The anticipation is palpable, which might be why Cybele turns to her class with a knowing smile on her face. "So, you are feeling ready to fight? Yesterday's challenge was not too difficult, was it? Perhaps you will find today a greater challenge." A fresh set of mannequins is stacked to one side, their leathery 'flesh' oddly glossy in the light. The Horsewoman gestures at the weapon racks. "I know you have been waiting for this, children - so. Having proved your mettle yesterday, today you will select a weapon and do battle. But first you must determine which weapon is best suited to your needs."

She picks up a dagger. "Today we will be focusing on three basic types of weapon. All combat requires courage and fortitude, but when selecting a weapon you must consider all aspects of your character and your abilities. This dagger, for example, will work best in the hands of someone swift and crafty. It is excellent for surprise attacks, as it can move more rapidly than a larger blade. However, it cannot effectively parry heavier strikes, which means the wielder must depend on their own agility for defense." She activates a mannequin and gives it a sword, which it clutches in one crude fist. "Observe..." Cybele rushes the mannequin, demonstrating the dagger's speed, but the sword crashes through her feeble guard. The second time, she dodges to one side and the mannequin's attack misses.

"Now, the sword. Heavier weapons have a different set of attributes." She plucks the sword free from the mannequin's hand; it goes inert. "As you may have noticed, this blade moves more slowly than the dagger; it is heavier, which means it is not as fast and that it can tire its wielder more rapidly. Fatigue must always be considered as a factor in battle." The Horsewoman demonstrates a few basic forms, sweeping the sword in great arcs and then showing how it could be braced on the flat to absorb strikes. "If you have the power, a sword can be both a weapon and a solid defense."

She puts the sword back in its rack and reaches for her familiar bow, smiling as she picks it up. "And the bow - fundamentally different in all respects from dagger and sword. The bow is a long-range weapon, ideal for damaging your opponents before they can even begin attacking you. It requires a calm mind and a steady hand, but a skilled marksman need never take a single injury if they use their weapon effectively. The disadvantage, of course, is that all the advantages of the bow vanish at close range. While you could, perhaps, stab someone with an arrow... it is not recommended. The bow's strength lies in removing opponents from the field before they can reach you and become a problem." She draws the bow, holding the stance for a moment before releasing the arrow into a distant target.

"So. I will allow each of you to select one weapon, of the type you feel best suited to. If you choose a sword or dagger, please step over to the right side of the platform. I will activate mannequins for you to duel. If you choose the bow and arrow, please step over to the left side of the platform. Consider carefully." With a smile, she steps back and gestures at the weapons, inviting all students to come up and pick one for the day's exercise.

The Task

The mechanics you follow varies based on what kind of weapon you choose: sword/dagger are short range, and bows are long range. Please follow the instructions in the appropriate box!

Daily Bonus Mechanics: There's a few different ones today, so pay attention!

- If you have the ability Beginner Battle Aura, you can add +1 to your attack dice (first two dice) in ONE round today.

- If you have the ability Beginner Speed Boost OR Beginner Stealth, you can add +1 to your defense dice (third dice) in ONE round today. These stack, so if you fulfill both conditions you can add +1 in TWO rounds.

When you've won or lost, put the appropriate results code at the top of your final battle post.

Victory:

Defeat:

Mechanics: Short Range Weapons (Sword or Dagger)

You will be engaged in close-range battle with an animated mannequin. Remember: no FEAR/natural abilities! You are fighting with your chosen weapon ONLY.

As before, the mannequins have 15 HP and do a fixed amount of damage every round:

- If you are Y1/a Quest, the mannequin hits for 3 damage each round.
- If you are Y2, the mannequin hits for 4 damage each round.
- If you are Y3, the mannequin hits for 5 damage each round.

If your HP reaches 0, the mannequin breaks your FEAR shield and immediately stops attacking, ending the battle. They do not do any damage greater than that regardless of your dice roll - if you have 2HP and the mannequin hits you, it will only do enough damage to precisely destroy the FEAR shield before halting its attack. You cannot dissipate in this exercise!

Please note: if you and the mannequin mutually KO each other, you may count that as a victory for your student. Cybele is feeling kind today...

What makes this battle different from usual is that Cybele has taught you how to attack AND how to defend or evade. Your success at defense/evasion can lessen the amount of damage you take.

Dice Mechanics: Roll 3d6 in each post.
- The first two dice is the amount of damage you do to the mannequin, with a -6 modifier. (Same as Y1 attack rolls!)
- The third dice determines your defense/evasion. If the dice is even, you successfully block/evade all damage for that round.

Defense OR evasion? Yep! If you are using a dagger, you are assumed to dodge attacks rather than block them. If you are using a sword, you are assumed to block rather than dodge. It's just for flavor.

Battle Example:
I roll 3d6 - 3 - 4 - 4.

- My first two dice are 3 + 4 = 7. 7 - 6 = 1. I do 1 damage to the mannequin.
- My third dice is 4 [even] - I defend/evade and do not take any damage that round. You can successfully defend/evade even if you do no damage!

Put the following code in each post you make, to keep track of things.

[b][size=18][color=orange]YOU HAVE MY SWORD (OR DAGGER)![/color][/size][/b]

[b]Damage Dealt:[/b]
[b]Damage Blocked/Evaded:[/b]
[b]Previous Posts:[/b] [Link ALL posts you make here, so that in the end you have a complete listing of your battle session! Post 1, post 2, etc.]

Mechanics: Long Range Weapons (Bow & Arrow)

You are placed on one side of the platform, facing an animated mannequin 60 feet away from you. It shuffles forward at a rate of 6 feet per turn unless knocked back. All mannequins have 15 HP.

Your goal is to destroy the mannequin before it reaches you! If the mannequin gets to you, then it will destroy your FEAR shield (knock you down to exactly 0 HP) in one shot. You will not dissipate, but it probably won't feel too good! Remember: no FEAR/natural abilities! You are fighting with your chosen weapon ONLY.

Please note: if you and the mannequin mutually KO each other, you may count that as a victory for your student. Cybele is feeling kind today...

- The first two dice is the amount of damage you do to the mannequin, with a -6 modifier. (Same as Y1 attack rolls!)
- The third dice determines your knockback. If the dice is even, you successfully knock the mannequin back, keeping it in place for that round! Even if you don't do any damage, you can still have successful knockback.

Battle Example:
I roll 3d6 - 3 - 4 - 4.

- My third dice is a 4 [even]. I knock the mannequin back, meaning it does not advance on me this round (distance does not change from previous total).

Put this code into each post you make, to keep track of things.

[b][size=18][color=green]YOU HAVE MY BOW![/color][/size][/b]

[b]Opponent's Distance:[/b] [remember, it advances 6 feet every round as a base unless you knock it back. If distance = 0, you are defeated!]
[b]Knockback Dealt:[/b] [yes/no]

After the exercise is completed, you may descend and are free to do other activities. The next class period will begin on Friday, April 6th at approximately 2:30pm PST.  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:00 pm
[Day Four]

On the final day, Cybele gathers all her students in a large clearing on the forest floor. The ground has a stirred-up look to it, as if it has been used for something - planting, maybe? Digging? It's hard to say. There's several large, cloth-covered mounds behind Cybele, and she watches all the students with her hands clasped behind her back, an amused smile on her face. "So. We come to the final lesson, students. I must admit, some of you have potential... and some of you do not. No matter. There is a role for everyone in War, even if there is no weapon in your hand."

Cybele pivots on one foot and whips the cloth off of the mounds behind her, revealing the now-familiar stack of mannequins along with the weapon racks. "So. You have learned to center yourself, to gauge your environment, to attack and defend with weapons. Now we will combine them. This area is used as a training ground for our own children." She gestures at the earth. "You will gather materials and construct a personal fortification to protect yourself and only yourself. When your fortification is complete, I shall release the mannequins. They will be hindered by the fortifications you create. You will also attack and defend yourselves with your weapons."

She pulls the first mannequin off the stack, grinning broadly. "We will see how you fare. This exercise puts together all the pieces you have learned. Calm your minds and ready your wills. As you proceed, analyze your own reactions: the mind's response to an enemy threatening a location you have fortified and made defensible is very different from how it feels to simply attack and be attacked. You question yourself more. You have time to plan and time to anticipate. Use this time wisely and well, rather than allowing it to introduce panic and fear into your mind. Understanding your own responses to threats, and being able to manage those responses, is a tremendous asset to your ability to do battle."

The Horsewoman surveys them all once more, then nods. "Begin construction, children. When you have completed that task... well, we will see what happens. I am most curious to see who will taste victory today. And remember, children - a setback one day need not lead to a string of defeats. Each battle is a new opportunity for triumph."

The Task

Phase One: Defense

You will be constructing a fortification to protect you from the attacking mannequin, using items found in the forest around you. As a base, all students dig into the earth and create a wall of dirt with 5 HP.

Roll 4d4 to determine what you do and find to improve your fort:

- If you roll a 1: you stud the fortification with pinecones. They hurt when you step on them. Fort gains +1 HP.
- If you roll a 2: you jab pointy sticks into the outside of your fort. They look like they could do some damage. Fort gains +2 HP.
- If you roll a 3: you find some sharp rocks and lay them all around like caltrops. Fort gains +3 HP.
- If you roll a 4: you drape a thorn-studded vine all over your fort. It stabs and entangles your enemies! Fort gains +4 HP.

Building Example:
I roll 4d4 - 2, 4, 1, 1.
My fort's total HP value is 13 (5 base + 8) and it uses pinecones x 2, a thorny vine, and pointy sticks.

At the bottom of your fort-building post, please indicate your fort's total HP.

Defense Bonus Mechanics: If you have Beginner Trashbot Summon or Beginner Summoned Object, you may add 1 to the result of a single dice in the defense phase.

After the defense phase, you must stand up to the mannequin onslaught! Like yesterday, what you do depends on if your weapon is short range (sword/dagger) or long range (bow). Please follow the instructions in the appropriate box!

Once you have built your fort, a mannequin will begin to advance on your position! How this battle plays out depends not only on your fort but on the weapon you picked yesterday. You cannot change weapons. If you did not participate yesterday, you may choose a weapon today, but otherwise you keep your same weapon.

No matter what, all mannequins have 30 HP.

When you've won or lost, put the appropriate results code at the top of your final battle post.

Victory:

Defeat:

Phase Two: Attack! (Short Range)

You must hold your attacks until after the mannequin reaches your fort - until then, it is too far away to attack! For those using short range weapons, the mannequin charges your fort immediately. It takes damage equal to the HP of your fort before destroying the fortification.

After your fort is destroyed, you have no choice but to fight! Remember, the mannequin has 30 HP today. You must use the same mechanics as yesterday to defend yourself:

- If you are Y1/a Quest, the mannequin hits for 5 damage each round.
- If you are Y2, the mannequin hits for 6 damage each round.
- If you are Y3, the mannequin hits for 8 damage each round.

When your HP reaches 0, the mannequin breaks your FEAR shield and immediately stops attacking, ending the battle. They do not do any damage greater than that regardless of your dice roll - if you have 2HP and the mannequin hits you, it will only do enough damage to precisely destroy the FEAR shield before halting its attack. You cannot dissipate in this exercise!

- The third dice determines your defense/evasion. If the dice is even, you successfully block/evade all damage for that round.

Defense OR evasion? Yep! If you are using a dagger, you are assumed to dodge attacks rather than block them. If you are using a sword, you are assumed to block rather than dodge. It's just for flavor.

Battle Example:
I roll 3d6 - 3 - 4 - 4.

- My third dice is 4 [even] - I defend/evade and do not take any damage that round. You can successfully defend/evade even if you do no damage!

Put the following code in each post you make, to keep track of things.

[b][size=18][color=orange]YOU HAVE MY SWORD/DAGGER - IN YOUR FACE.[/color][/size][/b]

[b]Damage Blocked/Evaded:[/b]
[b]Previous Posts:[/b] [Link ALL posts you make here, so that in the end you have a complete listing of your battle session! Post 1, post 2, etc. Make sure to include your fort-building post in this!]

Phase Two: Attack! (Long Range)

If you selected a long-range weapon yesterday, your combat goes a bit differently. You attack before the mannequin reaches your fort! Once they reach your fort, they will attempt to destroy it. If the mannequin still has HP remaining after destroying your fort, you automatically hit 0 HP and are defeated.

The mannequin begins its charge 60 feet away from you. It shuffles forward at a rate of 10 feet per turn unless knocked back. The mechanics for this phase are the same as yesterday.

- The third dice determines your knockback. If the dice is even, you successfully knock the mannequin back, keeping it in place for that round! Even if you don't do any damage, you can still have successful knockback.

Battle Example:
I roll 3d6 - 3 - 4 - 4.

- My third dice is a 4 [even]. I knock the mannequin back, meaning it does not advance on me this round (distance does not change from previous total).

Put this code into each post you make, to keep track of things.

[b][size=18][color=green]YOU HAVE AN ARROW IN YOUR [strike]KNEE[/strike] FACE.[/color][/size][/b]

[b]Opponent's Distance:[/b] [remember, it advances 10 feet every round as a base unless you knock it back. When distance = 0, move to the instructions below ("Once the mannequin hits your fort...")]
[b]Knockback Dealt:[/b] [yes/no]
[b]Previous Posts:[/b] [Link ALL posts you make here, so that in the end you have a complete listing of your battle session! Post 1, post 2, etc. Make sure to include your fort-building post in this!]

Once the mannequin hits your fort, subtract the number of HP your fort has from the mannequin's current HP. If the mannequin's HP hits 0, you are victorious! If the mannequin still has HP remaining after destroying your fort... well.

Last-Ditch Bonus Mechanic: If you have Beginner Desperate Chance, you can make one final attack (with no damage dealt to you) if the mannequin is still alive after your fort is destroyed! Roll 2d6 and subtract 6 for the amount of damage you deal to the mannequin.

After the exercise is completed, you may return to the village, free to do other activities. You must complete this exercise before 3:00 pm PST on Saturday, April 7th.  

Sosiqui

Enduring Muse

Sosiqui

Enduring Muse

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:01 pm
[Points Awarded]

Every day, points will be awarded to those who participate in the class. To claim your points, go HERE and link this post when claiming in whichever thread you choose (Horseman premade raffle OR minipet points).

The most points you can get out of a single class day is 5. Point distribution is determined by various factors, taking both your dice roll results and your roleplay in that exercise into account.

Day One Point Awards

Shehk- demon_pachabel: 4 points

Amphi- Nyxtsuki Moon: 3 points

Circe- ~Kiana_Nala~: 4 points

Edel- Zyphiris: 5 points

El Greco- Euphoric Ghost: 5 points

Whisper- Getsurae: 1 point

Alexander- NeoSeussi: 5 points

Yin Cang- ramenli: 4 points

Holly- elvyralani: 3 points

Mitzi- alliisara: 4 points

Ulmuka- iloveyouDIE: 3 points

Kemnbi- Katsura Zanshin: 3 points

Roch- Ice Queen: 3 points

Sammy- Miliardo Kason: 4 points

Danny- chimarii: 3 points

Nyyrikki - DarkHeartedSorrows: 3 points

Thanatos- Dragain: 4 points

Siddie- Prolixity: 4 points

Shun Kuroda- Blade Kuroda: 3 points

Canon- Zee Oddwyn: 4 points

Joachim Von Helmar - hanging gallow: 1 point

Herryk- pinchmonster: 5 points

Amrita- Enoh Love: 0 points

Tybalt- OnionGrump: 4 points

Sheridan- Amon Larethian: 4 points

Riley- Nio Love: 4 points

Jove- Grey Dragon: 4 points

Calder- MoonKitsune: 4 points

Deacon- Hitsuzen: 0 points

Nadia- The_Great_Book_Wyrm: 5 points

Pokerus- poke mattix: 4 points

Renshu - Minsuil: 4 points

Mirac Trice - Anguis Lingua: 0 points

Day Two Point Awards

NOTE: A few people lost points for not following the format and putting the proper code in their posts when they finished their battles, meaning I had to search for their end posts. For Days Three and Four I will not be manually searching posts - those who don't put in the correct code will not be counted.

Shehk- demon_pachabel: 5 points

Amphi- Nyxtsuki Moon: 4 points

Circe- ~Kiana_Nala~: 3 points

El Greco- Euphoric Ghost: 4 points

Whisper- Getsurae: 4 points

Alexander- NeoSeussi: 4 points

Yin Cang- ramenli: 4 points

Holly- elvyralani: 5 points

Mitzi- alliisara: 5 points

Ulmuka- iloveyouDIE: 5 points

Kemnbi- Katsura Zanshin: 4 points

Roch- Ice Queen: 4 points

Sammy- Miliardo Kason: 3 points

Danny- chimarii: 4 points

Nyyrikki - DarkHeartedSorrows: 4 points

Thanatos- Dragain: 0 points

Siddie- Prolixity: 2 points

Shun Kuroda- Blade Kuroda: 4 points

Joachim Von Helmar - hanging gallow: 4 points

Herryk- pinchmonster: 4 points

Amrita- Enoh Love: 3 points

Sheridan- Amon Larethian: 5 points

Calder- MoonKitsune: 3 points

Deacon- Hitsuzen: 3 points

Nadia- The_Great_Book_Wyrm: 2 points

Renshu - Minsuil: 0 points

Mirac Trice - Anguis Lingua: 5 points

Day Three Point Awards

Shehk- demon_pachabel: 5 points

Amphi- Nyxtsuki Moon: 5 points

Circe- ~Kiana_Nala~: 0 points

Edel- Zyphiris: 4 points

El Greco- Euphoric Ghost: 4 points

Whisper- Getsurae: 5 points

Alexander- NeoSeussi: 4 points

Yin Cang- ramenli: 5 points

Holly- elvyralani: 4 points

Mitzi- alliisara: 4 points

Ulmuka- iloveyouDIE: 4 points

Kemnbi- Katsura Zanshin: 0 points

Roch- Ice Queen: 4 points

Sammy- Miliardo Kason: 0 points

Nyyrikki - DarkHeartedSorrows: 4 points

Siddie- Prolixity: 4 points

Joachim Von Helmar - hanging gallow: 4 points

Amrita- Enoh Love: 0 points

Deacon- Hitsuzen: 1 point

Nadia- The_Great_Book_Wyrm: 0 points

Mirac Trice - Anguis Lingua: 4 points

Day Four Point Awards

Shehk- demon_pachabel: 4 points

Amphi- Nyxtsuki Moon: 5 points

Circe- ~Kiana_Nala~: 5 points

El Greco- Euphoric Ghost: 3 points

Whisper- Getsurae: 5 points

Alexander- NeoSeussi: 5 points

Yin Cang- ramenli: 5 points

Holly- elvyralani: 4 points

Mitzi- alliisara: 5 points

Ulmuka- iloveyouDIE: 4 points

Kemnbi- Katsura Zanshin: 4 points

Roch- Ice Queen: 5 points

Sammy- Miliardo Kason: 4 points

Nyyrikki - DarkHeartedSorrows: 5 points

Siddie- Prolixity: 5 points

Canon- Zee Oddwyn: 5 points

Joachim Von Helmar - hanging gallow: 5 points

Amrita- Enoh Love: 5 points

Jove- Grey Dragon: 3 points

Deacon- Hitsuzen: 4 points

Nadia- The_Great_Book_Wyrm: 0 points

Pokerus- poke mattix: 3 points

Mirac Trice - Anguis Lingua: 0 points

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:40 pm

Sosiqui

Enduring Muse

demon_pachabel rolled 4 6-sided dice: 1, 1, 5, 5 Total: 12 (4-24)

demon_pachabel

Beloved Werewolf

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:55 pm
[[Entering for the Day...

Undead Bonus changes Dice to: 1, 2, 5, 5]]

Silence, Please...

Shehk was one of those who was eager. Eager to pick up one of those weapons. Eager to hold it in her hands and see what she could do with it. She already knew that if a staff was put into her hands she'd get her a** kicked with it. She was on her way to 5 spots of paint on her arm already! But it didn't curb her appetite in the least. She wanted it. She wanted all of it. She was hungry for it.

The pricolici desperately needed this sort of skill to survive.

The horsewoman who was in charge of the seminar put on a grand display for them to watch as well, leaning forward in her seat with every new gesture. It was so beautiful, so enticing. Mighty. Everything about what the Horsewoman did made her hunger for what would come next. For everything she wanted from this place. She wanted to be strong as this woman was. She wanted to have more than just her claws and teeth at her command. Shehk knew how to be a savage beast if she needed to be.

But this? It was completely different and it was a type of warring that she knew she needed to gain a knack for.

If she was to ever be a 'true' warrior, she needed this.

Still, there was an almost obvious look on her face when she heard that their task would be to meditate rather than to let her have her hands on one of those shiny new toys. Pity. She wanted to play. It was like she'd got battle blueballed by their instructor. However, Shehk made a point to not raise too much of a fuss about it. Or any fuss at all, rather. If it was necessary for her to meditate, she'd take the skill to heart.

Maybe.

Shehk took up her post on the floor carefully, settling in with her legs crossed. Okay, she had no idea what she was doing, to be honest. Sitting? Taking a deep breath?

What was going to happen from there....?

The first thing she noted once she got settled was that her body was trying to defy her immediately. In the form of itchy butt. Augh, the itchy butt. Whyyyyyy? She tried to not make a face as she sat there, trying to will it away. Could she ignore an itch hard enough to make it go away? She tried that first.

It didn't work.

She shifted, trying to make it go away. Go away itch. Go away. She didn't want you. She shifted a foot and tried to use that to scratch the itch. Didn't happen. Shehk moved to actually scratch the itch when a firm THWACK came in and caused her to sit up a bit straighter than she had been before.

At least the itch was gone.

Still, that feeling in her rump was now leaving her with thoughts. Not as distracting as the weapons and the menialities of the day, her texts with Jericho, Sammy teasing her over 'dragon dating' (they weren't dating), Riley's beckoning, her inquiries. She was innocent! Really! There was nothing going on!

Not that she wouldn't have liked it, but...

AUGH.

Thoughts.

Brain. Focus.

Yes. Okay. That was the spot. Theeerree we go. Okay, Nope. Still there. Dammit, brain. This wasn't the time for that!!

And yet, it drew her mind to one of the points that was bothering her the most at that time: The Insanity. It had devoured Red. She'd been helpless to do anything about it. As she was now, she was helpless to help those who were currently inflicted with it. If she sulked, she would never find out the answer she really wanted. There had to be something she could do. She was there to start.

She'd started here. She could do it. If she didn't push herself through this curtain of fear and doubt, nobody would be saved and all she'd do was run around in a blind panic again.

After what felt like an eternity, however, Shehk took a deep breath - her first one in over ten minutes it seemed - and slowly opened her eyes. How did she feel? Not exactly jump over the moon fantastic, to be honest. Not bad, not off. She felt pretty OK. The pricolici took a glance at the others who were still meditating in the room, giving them a sort of sheepish look before she moved, shifting to get up.

Oh good, her legs hadn't fallen asleep on her.

Blade Kuroda rolled 4 6-sided dice: 2, 3, 1, 5 Total: 11 (4-24)
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:05 pm
((Entering day 1))

Silence, Please...

Shun was impressed to say in the very least. The horseman of war that was acting as their instructor certainly said things that he agreed with. And not for one moment did he feel that he had chosen the wrong class to take. They were even starting with a meditation exercise. Ready and willing to give this his all, he took his spot and sat upon the ground.

Closing his eyes, he began to try and control his breathing. However, he felt a bit distracted. People nearby kept shifting or even murmuring, making a little difficult for him to shut everything out. It was kind of irritating really. Twitching slightly, he tried a little harder, slowly managing to shut out the noises. However, with every thing that had happened lately, his mind was clouded with various thoughts all around. It was a little more difficult than usual for him to clear his mind.

Eventually, the thoughts left, but he found himself focusing on the oncoming battle. A bubble of doubt floated up into his head. He had not tried to fight with his new handicap. Would it get in the way? The reaper was aware he had a larger blind spot now, but he hadn't trained appropriately to get past that. There simply hadn't been time. Shun took some pride in his abilities with his daggers normally. What if he just ended up making a fool of himself here?

By the time he was done, he felt adequately prepared. It certainly wasn't his best meditation session ever. If he had time later on, he'd have to try again. Perhaps he would do better when he was more on his own than in a large class with fidgety students surrounding him. Even so, he couldn't help but feel a bit disappointed.  

Blade Kuroda

Militant Raider

bipolar bee rolled 4 6-sided dice: 4, 6, 5, 6 Total: 21 (4-24)

bipolar bee

Alien Kitten

12,975 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Cool Cat 500
  • Cat Fancier 100
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:06 pm
[[Entering for Day 1]]

Silence, Please...

6 - You rise to your feet feeling pretty good about yourself, overall - despite everything that may have happened during the meditation, you feel great, physically speaking.

Herryk had to admit that he was so far quite impressed by the way that the War Clan collectively carried itself. However, he hadn't been expecting this. Meditating? What did it .. he was confused. Why weren't they sparring? Herryk kind of longed to feel the weight of a weapon in his hands - his palms itched when Cybele summoned her weapon. A familiar tickle, to be certain, and one he hadn't experienced til this very moment. And yet, when Cybele gave the order to sit, Herryk immediately sat.

He was here to learn. To learn so that he might better protect the things dearest to him back home.

When Cybele sat, Herryk quickly mimicked her movements. Back straight, posture upright. Her voice was a soothing sound in his ears, and as he went through the stages of meditation, Herryk felt himself relax. He could hear the wind through the leaves. It was peaceful.

As he sank deeper into meditation, Herryk could hear the gentle ebb of the ocean waves as they whispered along the sand. It was at this point that his thoughts turned more introspective. Was he ready for the conflicts to come? A flash of silken spun sunlight, a blaze of fiery azure. He focused on these things - the things he would kill to protect. Herryk was not afraid. He would not falter.

Another thought flashed into the forefront of his mind. The sight of a wheel crashing towards him; the loss of control and imminent dispersal. Freya protecting him proudly. He'd had no control during those moments. It had been so easy for the hunters to end his existence for a brief moment in time.

That, among many other reasons, was exactly why Herryk was here. He could not waste time lamenting his past performances. He was stronger now, more prepared. He was here, and he was ready and willing to learn.

Herryk rose to his feet with a deceptive silence. He offered the horsewoman a nod before making his departure; for the first time in a long time, the draugr felt very confident about his capabilities. It was exhilarating, to say the least, and as Herryk took his leave he couldn't help but feel as if he'd accomplished something very important here today.  
DarkHeartedSorrows rolled 4 6-sided dice: 4, 1, 3, 5 Total: 13 (4-24)
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:08 pm
[Entering]

Silence, Please...

Nnnnghghnnnghh. Rikki would be lying if he said he wasn't absolutely impressed by the instructor's display with the weapons. She was absolutely amazing, and he watch with rapt attention to understand exactly how she was able to achieve such prowess with her weapon. Of course, it was a shame he didn't have wings, because there was no way he'd be able do the same trick without them.

It would also be a lie to claim that he wasn't one of the students who looked at the weapons around the room with such longing it was pathetic. He wanted to pick them up immediately and begin training with them. So when he was told they'd be meditating, he was less than pleased. Meditation was boring, and didn't hone his skills with a bow or knife. Therefore, it was worthless. Still, he wasn't given much of a choice.

He found a cozy spot and sat with his legs crossed as the teacher gave the last of her instructions. With a roll of his shoulders, he closed his eyes and released a long breath and then did as she said. He listened. He heard the leaves rustle, and the steady breaths of the student next to him. As the entire class settled into silence he realized he actually felt... well... good. This was nice. Calming.

So calming, however, that he found himself drifting off. He began to list to the side and his vision became the absolute dark of sleep. At least, until there was a sharp thwack across his back and he was jolted awake with a quiet cry. He glared up at the war teacher and scrunched his nose, but she simply raised a menacing brow, which was enough to put him in his place and return him to his meditation.

It took another few deep breaths before he found the calm quiet of before. He tried to believe that he was going into battle soon, which wasn't unlikely with his track record. He realized it also wasn't unlikely for him to lose. He had an incredible knack for getting his a** kicked. He'd lost his only battle with Roch. He'd gotten overwhelmed in the alleyway with Atlas, leading to his unwanted haircut. He'd been killed with a single word during the death trials. He gave an unsteady sigh. The truth was, if he was thrust into a battle alone, there was a very high chance he wouldn't make it back out. He had to rely so much on others for his survival.

He promised himself something he'd been promising for a while now. It was his concrete goal. He would be better. Not just for his parents, but for himself. Being average wasn't going to cut it anymore. He was going to observe. Learn. Absorb. He was going to be a better fighter and survivalist, because he needed to be. Remembering this calmed him, and he stood quietly, finishing his meditation feeling good. Not fantastic, but good. He realized he actually had learned something from this exercise and left the room quietly with a small smile on his lips.

[Exit]

DarkHeartedSorrows

Sparkly Receiver

Ice Queen rolled 4 6-sided dice: 2, 2, 1, 4 Total: 9 (4-24)

Ice Queen

Dapper Lunatic

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:15 pm
Silence, Please...

(Entering for Day 1)

Meditation... it was sort of like what he had to do when he was sharpening his guitar, right? You just... didn't close your eyes when sharpening, Roch decided as he closed his eyed. And there were a lot more people in the room, and no Desiree. He kept his eyes closed. Was someone squirming? He could hear the sound of cloth brushing against cloth. Breathing... not just his own--whoever was sitting behind him was breathing like a dying minipet. It was annoying as hell, he thought. It wasn’t as if they’d had to climb to get there--were they panicking? He was sick and jackin’ tired of people panicking on him!

No. Focus. Picture your guitar, now the sharpening wheel. Okay, he could do this... What was his granddad doing right now? Or his old man? He hadn’t even called either of them after the final trial--he hadn’t even checked to see if his bike parts were in! Jack, he should have called--nooo... Wait, he hadn’t seen Moure. Was Moure in a different class? That was one of his bros, he could have sworn the boil would be here--maybe he needed to text him. What about Mot? Wait, no, Mot hadn’t come at all. How about Hel? He hadn’t seen Hel in a long time! Wait. He was going off on a tangent, he needed to focus. Well, he was sort of focused--at least he felt a little more focused than he had been. He wasn’t intent on whether the person sitting in front of him was gasping for air any longer. That was a good sign. He wondered how Riff was doing in the closet-- No, you’re focusing, so FOOOCCUUUSSS. Fooocuussss.

Suddenly he saw him again. The sharp shards rushing straight for him, far faster than he could ever avoid, and Invi hadn’t even broken a sweat-- He jerked slightly, opening his eyes for a second and breathing a bit hard--just for a moment. No. He wasn’t going to be facing off against an heir. And he sure as hell wasn’t going to face off against Invi’s old man. He could remember that--it hadn’t even been a fight, it had been gravity slamming down, pinning him to the ground, pressing hard against his FEAR until he had--

Died. He hadn’t met the leader of the War tribe, were they going to deal with her? Try and take her on as a group only to be dissipated again for what felt like the millionth time? No... no, there wasn’t any reason to bring them here if they were just going to kill them. Death had, though. That whole freaky dream sequence--eh. it was over. All this thinking had gotten him... um... where HAD it gotten him? Nope, he couldn’t think of anything big and fascinating that had happened other than him realizing that Moure wasn’t around. That sucked. And... well... at least there hadn’t been any teachers slamming through the walls or water being poured over his head, or--wait, why were his most tragic class moments all from Savages’ class? Ohhh, or Blue’s.

Wait, was it over? He was pretty sure it was over--or at least close to. Well... it had sort of worked? Maybe? Hell if he knew.  
ramenli rolled 4 6-sided dice: 3, 4, 5, 2 Total: 14 (4-24)
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:15 pm
Silence, Please... ((Entering Day 1))

Yin waited as the elevator took them up; having waited to make sure he went up with Alexander for multiple reasons. For one, well, who else would he rather be with? But far more importantly, he had no idea what an elevator really was. He had never been in one, and if he had ever passed one he had not known what it was. So yes, it put him ill at ease. He would much rather climb the trees or even flimsy ladders than trust himself to some moving room that was making horrendously ominous noises. He was not scared. This was safe. Other groups had gone up safely. These were apparently common contraptions.

When it lurched he could not help it anymore, he reached out to grasp the zomboil’s hand, clinging to it like it was his only lifeline, eyes wide with shock and rather shaken. He had not really been bothered by heights before, but now…now it was almost too much. The doors could not open fast enough. The platform that they were on had netting around it, but it would not have bothered Yin either way as he fled the elevator, looking out over the area. The scent of nature, particularly pine trees were strong enough that he actually was able to smell it. All of that was really unimportant though, this was clearly a place for fighting. Clearly a place to test oneself. There was both padding and weapons but neither truly inspired him, he simply wanted to learn what they had to teach him about fighting. What ideas did the clan have?

So he focused on the Clanswoman. He took in the details without ever meeting her eyes, waiting until she spoke. Obeying automatically when she ordered them to sit, responding to the authority in her voice. Mistress Cybele. And this ghoul was speaking his language. Yes, he knew why the arts of war were important. He had been trained in them, striving as he fought, trained, trying to be the best. Becoming the best in his group. At least, before coming to Amityville. And that was the problem; he was no longer good enough, no longer strong enough. So if he needed to change perhaps the clan of War would help him along that path. And of course he was still interested in learning how they fought for the simple reason that he might learn a weakness that they might have. That he could use against them if they ever tried to do something to him, his bonded, or any of his friends again.

Furthermore, he completely agreed that one should not rely on FEAR. Or anything else. To be deadly at all times. To know exactly how and what to do when faced with any situation. Mistress Cybele simply made sense. At least, until she summoned a sword. Weapons were nothing he cared about, and as she had just pointed out, they had their own limitations. He watched as she put the arrow to the bow, almost missing it even though he was used to watching for fast movements, knowing that had he been in his natural form he would have seen it clearly. The arrow, and then a second, struck the target dead on.

At least with this weapon it was easy to see what the appeal was. To be able to strike ones target, be it simple prey or an enemy, before they could even get close. Before they might even notice that you were there. And if it was not as shameful to rely on weapons as he had been lead to believe, perhaps this was something he would not mind learning. At least the basic skills to be able to send an arrow in the right direction if there was a dire enough need. And something to be learned that practice factored into.

He was almost lost in thought when she brought up another arrow, and he almost missed her move. The target shattered and he turned his gaze back to her, one full of admiration. That had taken skill. So this was what War was.

He liked it.

When she mentioned mental preparation he almost groaned in response. He had already meditated for the day, already soothed his fear and let it nourish his body, well prepared for a day of combat training. Only to be told they would be learning to center themselves? And her instructions were slightly different than Nurse Cricket’s. A ready posture? What did she mean by that? He glanced over at Alexander and gave him a small smile, not actually getting up but shifting slightly where he was seated. He straightened his back, rolling his shoulders a bit, legs crossed, and waited for further instructions.

He closed his eyes, knowing most of what to expect. No sound, no movement. But her other instructions surprised him. Not focusing inward but rather on the environment. This would certainly be different that what he was accustomed to. So he listened. He focused. Blocking everything out was something that he had worked on, something he was used to. But today he was supposed to open himself up to the things that were around him, to concentrate on the environment. To concentrate on…was that someone shifting in their seat? The wind blowing across his face, bringing fresh scents with it, most of which never registered. Bringing the sounds of…his neighbors. This was not exactly calming, and not what all that calming really. He much preferred the nurse’s method.

Slowly those concerns seemed to ooze away, the distracting thoughts no longer in the forefront of his mind. Combat could come later. Comparing this process to the nurse’s could come later. Nurse Cricket, she was taking care of Princess Eva…he wondered how she was. No, those thoughts would also come later. He just relaxed and focused on the environment, enjoying the peace that the island offered. Nature, it was good to be around it. He liked just being among the trees, simply something peaceful to focus on.

Lately his battling had been, off. Well, not really. He had used his skills to the best of his advantage. But at Amityville he was faced with all sorts of others, with different advantages and disadvantages. Fighting mantodae had been easy, and now he realized how easily the Clan’s forces might be taken down. If forces with weapons came against them they would not be prepared to fight them off. If he were to face one of them? He had learned things since he had went to Amityville, and now he was confident that he could beat them. He knew their style of fighting, but he knew so much more. And someday he would be able to take on even those with weapons and hold his ground. He knew he was not strong enough. Not yet. And there would always be more to learn. More to work on. But no longer was he the weakling that could not defend himself, could not retaliate.

His concentration began to break and he realized that once again he had been focused internally, not particularly paying attention to the environment. Stiffness screamed at him from his muscles, letting him know that he had forced them to maintain a very strict posture that was not part of his normal, partially hunched pose. This was the second time of the day he had meditated for an extended period of time, and he was desperate to move. To do something.

Which unfortunately meant going back down the elevator.

Perhaps that was the fear that he should have faced in his meditation. He had to close his eyes and steel himself to get in it again, the elevator possibly more traumatizing to him than anything else that the War Clan had to offer. Just…step in. One foot in front of the other. Wait in terrified silence for the descent to begin. It jerked to a stop and then lowered a bit more until when he was at the bottom and he stumbled out, trying to get away from the entrance and off of the main path before he was retching. Elevators. They were not to be trusted.  

ramenli

Alarming Consumer

Zee Oddwyn rolled 4 6-sided dice: 3, 3, 6, 4 Total: 16 (4-24)

Zee Oddwyn

Tenacious Bookworm

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:24 pm
[Entering Day 1]
Silence, Please...

Canon stood agog at the display of skill and power when the horsewoman shattered the target. The little, grey monster was definitely among those who were eyeing the bows with anticipation. However, when their actual task for the day was explained, Canon's eye shone like a wounded puppy dog. Meditation?

She didn't want to meditate, she wanted to fight!

It was with decidedly less enthusiasm than she normally showed that Canon took a seat, wrapping her tail comfortably around her legs. She was determined to follow directions. Even if they weren't really good ones...

So, she closed her eyes, and listened... to someone getting thwacked with a stick. What? No, no, focus. She listened to... listened to... she wished the person next to her would stop wiggling around, it was very distracting.

And then she wondered, who's sitting next to me? Could it be Riley? Or the dog ghoul? Canon tried to remember where everyone was sitting but it was difficult because she'd only gotten a glimpse and SHOULDN'T YOU BE FOCUSING ON MEDITATING, CANON? Yes, yes she should. Focusing was important, like how that lady had completely shattered that target! Canon could feel her pulse pick up in excitement at just the thought. She had to remind herself once again that she was supposed to be meditating. She was here to train to fight, after all.

Battle was easy. Canon felt herself center and focus around that most admirable of activities. Every Skark, young and old, understood that. Whatever else you might choose to do with your life, whatever horrible mistakes you might have made, on the battlefield all that mattered was the Now.

Canon found it very easy to meditate on that for a time. After several minutes had passed, she became aware of the world again, and that she was starting to feel a little stiff. She stood and stretched as high as she could (not very), and curled her tail a little to work out the soreness.

Well, she thought, that wasn't that bad. She shot a glance at the bows. It still wasn't as fun as actually fighting.  
{ ARCHIVED } ------------------ Four Clans Meta, April 2012

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 ... 52 53 54 55 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff