Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Josh Starwind
Vice Captain

Dangerous Explorer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:51 pm
I still remember most of it. Just gotta get off my butt and get to work. Would be easier if Arch Evil was still around he was my assistant on most of the groundwork. that and because we lack as many people as before. I dont think we can make it as grand scale as before. Maybe shrink it's size of instead of being huge nations but small factions. Hmm that gives me an idea.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:50 pm
Aikou Ikari X
Josh Starwind
The Hans is I really dont know on Hiatus I guess. and I know World of Gaia was awesome however other than me we do not have anyone around for play the 3 leaders. Kakashiee is in the military doing stuff and Soc is doing I dunno what. I mean we could start it over go for something nice and simple. I would be up for something like that. Though we would all have to remake our charries.

World of Gaia was awesome.

Except I died. ;c Poor Enyo.

>rape

Welcome back Aikou.

On a side note, I personally think Soc should just let the guild die. It seems we're the only old style clan rp guild left, in that we pride player characters with imagination and creativity, attacks built around battlestyles, and all that.

Nowadays, it's just prepackaged 6 elements or "magic". I met this one guy called Rakyi, he said I was an RP noob for not taking 8-10 paragraphs explaining exactly how each of my powers worked that I was using in every post, as if it was too difficult to read that explanation in my profile sheet. But when HE posted like that, it was just a bunch of explanation of useless tidbits I already knew, or didn't make any difference either way to the situation, and maybe two of his ten paragraphs were what he was ACTUALLY DOING that turn.

I've met people who think the separation of IC to OOC makes no sense during rp and all characters are self inserts.

True Gaia RP is dead.  

Deliciously Degenerate

Toxic Sex Symbol

8,075 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Tycoon 200

Echo The BlackChrimson

Familiar Entrepreneur

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:31 pm
WB Anny. How've youz?
Josh Starwind
Just tell me what you're up to, bro. I'll give a hand where I can.

Noldega Spitefire

That right there, sir, is called RP trash. Not all RP is dead on Gaia, but it is sad to say that it is becoming hideously adjacent to what is now called the 'norm', which was called 'n00b central' several years back. It truly breaks my heart, but I haven't lost all faith.

In fights, I still believe it all comes down to skill in battle; not what people put into making a character rather than putting forth excellent effort into making a proper post. For example, I have fought, quite literally, Gods using just my standard OC and beat them in virtually one single post; T1 PC (Powered Character, or Powered Combat) wannabees using standard dribble for post filler, correlating to nothing about the fight, or anything in general, then follow through with some run-of-the-mill complex T2 attack (what is generally used in Towns; it can be a very entertaining style, but it requires a finesse and some degree of self-control) only to be thwarted by a simple pivot and counter attack (simple RM, Realistic Melee.)
What the hell are they teaching kids these days!? Shoot, even I know I was bad when I was starting out; we all were. But I highly doubt any of us were this terrible.

Not just from fighting, simple story construction is a rarity now. It's all Mary Su or Gary Stu crap about who gets the girl, or who kills the most in a sneeze. Plot, character development, basic morals, all basic things a story is supposed to have! Gone!
I don't think RP on Gaia is dead, but it does need serious revival. Hell, I'll become a necromancer, dig up the corpse and reanimate it myself if I have to. An undead army of good role playing creating a zombie apocalypse of awesome on the current norm needs to happen. Badly  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:01 pm
Echo The BlackChrimson

The worst ******** part is that people like you and me are considered god modders because we use powered characters and DONT write paragraphs of useless to ******** nothing filler about how and why my armor is shiny or something. We simply keep to what we do with our powers and movement.

Also, I slightly disagree, but also kinda agree. I believe that the effort put into the character and your personal skill of use with that character are both what makes someone a good RP'er. If I met someone with a perfectly balanced, well made character that couldn't rp for s**t, I'd consider them a noob.

If I met someone with great rp skill but had a horribly GM'ing character that was a mary sue, I'd consider them a noob.

The character has to be believable within the context that they exist, has to be relate-able, can be killed but also be capable of immense badassery(if you go for the bad a** string).  

Deliciously Degenerate

Toxic Sex Symbol

8,075 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Tycoon 200

Echo The BlackChrimson

Familiar Entrepreneur

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:37 pm
Noldega Spitefire

Mortality, reasonable existence/back story, fair use of powers/abilities. Badassory is all on the user's taste.
It all depends on the question, really. Character balance and explanation overall are required. A noob is someone who has a poorly built character and can't role play their own way out of a paper bag. Those which a well-built character, but have difficulties RPing, and/or vice-versa just have a conflict of priorities, which can be addressed if the person in question can take a little constructive criticism.
Also, haven't you noticed that people who blast out and flame noob at you are simply after you crush 'em? I find it kind of funny.

Personally, I've worked very hard to keep my character in between, or seemingly as powerless as possible during each fight. I've also designed my character to where it can participate in every mode of combat, from T1 RM to PC, to even the T2 standard. Sadly, people have a rough time grasping the timing aspect and any form of reality; if you're being countered in the middle of one attack, you cannot defend nor counter properly; it is virtually impossible to do two different things at the same time. (Then again, I have bull*hit-Echo-powers. I can awesome something.)

In hindsight, character deliberation is all the same thing, really.
Anyway, I wanted to get to work on an old (old old old ooooold) project once I get better internet and have a relatively solid story. With it, I was hoping to put together a good ole' fashioned role play. It would correlate with the story, of course, but it still needs time to build up.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:01 pm
To be honest I left the battle rp style. Where rp's were competitive. I got tired of my character is a superior badass with so many awesome abilities that I specifically gave him just to make him a badass. Now lets see your wimpy character who yo did the exact same thing as I did lose to my character. Because I just think your a noob and you must be crushed.

I moved more into story oriented where battles are more plotted out secretly between people. Like my character might lose his arm so I plan it out so that it happens. But we still have fun getting there working to make an awesome fight seen together. I found thats where most of the classic guys we know and love have gone. They all got tired of the noobs and the o you suck for killing me bullshit and moved on to greater things.

Dont get me wrong I still enjoy some good old competitive rping as the next guy where skill proves you badassery. It's more of it's much harder to form a good rp that way as. No matter how much you say it. It sux when you dont know what is gonna happen to your character and you know that there are people out there that want to kill him and take him down.

BUt I dunno.  

Josh Starwind
Vice Captain

Dangerous Explorer

Deliciously Degenerate

Toxic Sex Symbol

8,075 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:41 pm
Josh Starwind

Keiji isn't a bad a**. He's a tragic, lonely sod who, because of his age, can perceive 50 to 100 years, if he relaxes too much, as he would a normal day, and he can go catatonic for that entire period. He wants to die, but it's the only thing he doesn't know what'll happen, so it scares him even more than it would a mortal person. Caught in a living limbo, as it were.

People tend to think of him as a bad a** though, because of his abilities. But I gave him those abilities because he's survived through universes being born and die, and he understands how to manipulate those energies, so that's why he has those powers.  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:39 pm
Wow, this conversation has gotten a bit intense and I like it.

Personally, I always felt that RP battles were less about "Oh, my character is better than yours, and thus will just kill yours easily! Because blah bluh blah bluh blah, herpity derp hurp. If I only had a brain."
I think RP battles should, yes, be a competition between the players and the characters, but one that is about making the better,more compelling story between the two of them. The winner of a fight is someone who can make a post and overall story that is simply superior to your opponent's version of the fight.
I dunno if I am wording it correctly, but its like: A makes a post that attacks B, B makes a post that, in an awesome and compelling way, dodges A's attack and creates a counterattack. A responds with another counter that is also just as compelling as B's. So on and so forth until it is decided who was the better writer, and storyteller.
now, I know that it doesn't exactly work that way, but what I am trying to say is: The two fighters shouldn't be working towards making their character's better than the other, they should be, both competitively and cooperatively working to combine their talents and make a strong, convincing story between the fight of these two characters. The cooperatively part is them working together to make a strong story. The competitive part is each of them trying to mold the situation into their character's favor and ultimately victory, using the character's various powers and abilities as well as taking into account the enemy's powers and abilities.

uhhh, lets say its like two people molding a pot together. Each of them have their own ideas of how they want the pot to be made, but at the same time acknowledge the other person's wants as well. Each of them will just silently mold the same pot, each forming it to how they think it should like while at the same time acknowledging, considering, and integrating their opposite's design choices into their own. The one who comes out on top is the one who's ideas and design came out the most prevalent.

I hope I made sense. I used to read these comics on DA which were called OC tourneys, echo knows what I am talking about. These OC tourneys would have a background story for all the participants to build off of, but after the pairings for the first round, its all the participants, the creators have virtually no power. What would happen is, and this may be different, but in each round and fight, the Participants would create a comic that would feature their OC entry as well as their opponent's OC entry, and have them fight against each other, all while having the Tourney's base background as the setting for whats happening. Once both sides have finished their comics, they would put it into entry before Judges. The only conditions for a comic is that it has to have both your OC and the Enemy OC, and your OC has to win. Otherwise, you can do with it as you please: it can be funny, serious, gruesome, light hearted, whatever. You just need it to be a meeting between your OC and their's, and you have to win the round in some way or form. Sometimes they don't even need to fight, a chain of events occur where someone is disqualified. Anyways, the one the Judges choose as the winner becomes canon for the overall story of the Tourney, meaning its like a bunch of writers working together to create an amazing story. Some ideas are chosen to move on, some are unfortunately thrown to the side. It may not be the same situation in competitive RPing, but thats how I felt RP should be.

I have talked way too much in this post: If you wanna look more into these OC tourneys im talking about, look up Zeurel on DA: He has been in quite a few. Look up things like "Law of Talos" or "Escape from Nevara", those are some good tourneys that Zeurel has been in.  

Zionus Dalmone

Josh Starwind
Vice Captain

Dangerous Explorer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:26 pm
So back onto the topic of World of Gaia rp.

If I came up with a story how would you all like to go about it. Being as there is so few of us. I was thinking we dnd/lotr adventure party it.

We will have one or two people play the bad guy and everyone else goes against them and there massive army of evil thing. I think this will give us the most bang and flexibility to atleast start off with then we can grow from there.

What do you all think?  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:18 pm
If it pulls off the ground, I am down with it. I'll even play the villain if you like.  

Zionus Dalmone

Deliciously Degenerate

Toxic Sex Symbol

8,075 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:11 pm
I actually kinda... Completely ********' hated world of gaia.

We need more of the space based ones.  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:17 pm
Not another star Wars RP....... I don't wanna do something like that again. Maybe mecha based, like Gundam.  

Zionus Dalmone

Josh Starwind
Vice Captain

Dangerous Explorer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:42 pm
Well my new idea for World of Gaia can easily be used for a space faring one. Infact would probably work better if done in space in a Mass Effect like future.  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:01 am
Sounds like an interesting idea, as long as it ain't Star Wars. I am sorry, but I don't want another one of those RPs.  

Zionus Dalmone

Echo The BlackChrimson

Familiar Entrepreneur

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:12 pm
I remember coming acrossed the idea of an AC RP. Though I was a bit foggy on the concept, the thought of it really intrigued me (being a fan of the series.)

To be honest, the idea of a mecha RP really gets the gears turning (pun unintended, of course.) I could get most of the house in on the idea and help its development and function once we get better internet running. o 3o  
The 5th Age

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff