Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Back to Guilds

Our goal is to spread awareness of, lessen unwarranted hatred of, and create a safe haven for the LGBTQ community and their allies. 

Tags: Gay Straight Alliance, LGBT, homosexual, straight, transgender 

Reply The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance
So I noticed something with my Step-dad recently. Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Taeryyn
Captain

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:44 pm
Esiris
If it seems like I put words in your mouth- I apologize. I didn't think you thought that- but he said "There isn't a way for someone to be 100% straight" and that's why I think he is being disrespectful. I'm sitting in my living room with my good friend and he's basically saying that the guy not 3 feet away from me is either deluded, a liar or doesn't exist because in his mind "There isn't a way for someone to be 100% straight."

To me- that's really disrespectful.

No worries. I don't think he means to be, but I can see what you mean.

Quote:

I really only have 1 method since it's an online forum. All I can do is educate- part of that is providing information and part of that is explaining why some objections to that information doesn't make logical sense.

Sorry, I chose brevity over clarity, there. sweatdrop I just meant that to me, some threads need empathy more than education. (Of course, some threads require the exact opposite, haha.)  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:49 pm
Taeryyn

No worries. I don't think he means to be, but I can see what you mean.
Sorry for the miscommunication. I know most people don't mean to be disrespectful- but I tend to call it when I see it because privilege and cross marginalization is everywhere- even in the LGBT community.

Quote:

Sorry, I chose brevity over clarity, there. sweatdrop I just meant that to me, some threads need empathy more than education. (Of course, some threads require the exact opposite, haha.)

I try a bit of each- and I like to be practical. Like- in a case where someone fears for their safety advice to call the cops is the best. In cases where that isn't the case- it can be some of the worst advice because it can cause escalation and more problems- especially in situations where the cops are powerless to do anything.  

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100
The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers