Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Back to Guilds

Our goal is to spread awareness of, lessen unwarranted hatred of, and create a safe haven for the LGBTQ community and their allies. 

Tags: Gay Straight Alliance, LGBT, homosexual, straight, transgender 

Reply The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance
Gays and the Military

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Kelsey MacAilbert

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 8:35 am
So, in the US the Don't Ask, Don't Tell policy is being repealed so that openly gay people can serve. My question to you is whether you would actually serve as openly gay if you did choose to serve, now that it is permitted. I am also curious as to opinions on how openly gay personnel are likely to be treated by other personnel.

I personally don't know whether or not I am gay, am 20, and I just enlisted in the US Navy (making this topic relevant to me). If I am gay, I will most likely be open about it. As for how others will react, any guess is as good as mine.  
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 8:39 am
lol well, do you feel an attraction to guys that you should normally feel towards women? if you do, you're gay! be proud!

anyway, i might enlist if i need the money. but i would go into the Air Force. Mentally, im better suited away from combat and more into the techie stuff. im weak, so i cant do the real extensive physical stuff. i would never join the marines...but maaaaaybe the navy  

DJ Arctic Wolf

7,150 Points
  • Beta Critic 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Explorer 0

Kelsey MacAilbert

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 8:48 am
The Air Force turns away the majority of potential recruits and has the toughest enlistment standards of all the branches. It's because a whole lot of people want to go Air Force, so they get a whole lot more recruits than they have room for, and therefore only take the best ones.

All the branches need brainy people. Even the Marines. I'm personally one of the brainy types. That's why the Navy has me assigned to work with high tech missile systems.  
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 12:16 pm
I joined the Marine Corps, not knowing whether or not DADT was going to be repealed during my time in service. I'm glad that it's on its way out, but I'm not going to be anything but myself either way. I maintain professional standards in and out of my uniform, and I keep my personal life and my work life separate. I've got good friends who already know me for who I am, I'm happy with the way my life is going, and I'm proud to be serving my country. And yes, even the Marines need people with brainpower. I've got one of those brainy jobs, but i also know that if push comes to shove, I've been trained to push back harder. I think of it as being well rounded.  

archsimian

Pent and Ten

Moonlight Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 12:39 pm
I do have a gay friend in the military, but I haven't talked to him since before the repeal.

Still, before the repeal I got a letter from him during some kind of training. It mentioned how he had a Queen in his.... (I dont know the correct word for group, so I'll just say squad) and no one really cared then, so I don't see why they'd care now.  
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 12:51 pm
Personally I think most soldiers aren't going to care either way. There are going to be fair amount that have a problem with homosexuality in the military but their actions won't have a place in our military once it's repealed. At least it'll get completely repealed by the end of the year. That I'm 100% sure on.

I'm slowly finishing up my officership training with ROTC right now. Only two more years left there will be some butter bars on my shoulders for the Army. Most of the cadets and cadre I've been working with don't seem to have a problem. Those that have a major problem about gays are slowly quieting down rather than getting louder with their displeasure on the situation. As far as I can tell, we only have a staff sergeant and a sergeant major not liking it. None of the officers seem to have a problem. Only a small number of cadets have voiced opposition but they're not doing anything.

Overall there's probably just going to be a few hard heads in the military that are going to leave in protest or will do something stupid with a discharge. But other than that, I see no significant problems going to happen with this repeal.  

Darkfox Soldier

Taeryyn
Captain

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 3:43 pm
I have quite a few friends in the military, and they really couldn't care less what anyone's sexual orientation is. Granted, this is Canada, not the US.

Not that I would ever be considered a suitable candidate for military service, but I probably wouldn't be too open about being queer if I were in the US military. I really don't think the majority would care, but my overall impression is that the US military is still far from being a very friendly place for gays, if only because of a mean-spirited, vocal minority.  
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 9:06 pm
I'm an incredibly lazy aspie, I don't wanna die, and I have ZERO pride in this country, so there's NO ******** WAY IN HELL I"M JOINING THE MILLITARY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! scream

Also, this whole DADT thing is bullshit, because apparently, gays threaten their masculinity. If they worry so much about gays hitting on them, they're obviously gay themselves.  

Shilberu Erikku

1,800 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Hygienic 200

bollier

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 12:48 am
I've honestly thought of it. Poof! No more student loans whee . If I weren't completely and totally out of shape, I'd try the Marines. The Navy would be good as well.  
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 3:52 am
bollier
I've honestly thought of it. Poof! No more student loans whee . If I weren't completely and totally out of shape, I'd try the Marines. The Navy would be good as well.

Don't worry about the out of shape part...hehe...we can fix that! xd
All the branches are honorable path to follow, just about what you want to do in the military really. *Pushes the recruiting tab*  

Darkfox Soldier

TylerAnnihilate

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 7:01 am
I have two points to make.

One:
It may be selfish of me, but I'm not protecting a country who doesn't protect my rights.

and Two:
DADT shouldn't have been an issue in the first place, when you join the millitary, you aren't gay, or straight or anything, you're part of a bigger whole, you don't have individuality when in the service.  
The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games