Welcome to Gaia! ::

Blank pages, loosely bound (BPLB)

Back to Guilds

A learn to roleplay guild, with classes and guides. An RP school for Gaians of any level. 

Tags: teach, role, play, guide, class 

Reply Main Forum
I just got refused entry to an rp guild Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

do you think it's fair?
  yes
  no!
View Results

emiri-chou

Fashionable Lunatic

12,125 Points
  • Unfortunate Abductee 175
  • Nerd 50
  • Beta Gaian 0
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:26 pm
Phaeton
You can't really take too hard the selection processes for RP guilds. Sometimes they do go based upon quantity and nothing else, this isn't the best approach as piling in more prose and text filler doesn't make for a better sample if the underlying process is terrible. The decent ones do check for good grammar, syntax, and spelling. This is fair, Firefox has its own spell-checker, I think Google Chrome even has a grammar checker now.

I don't want to say it's incredibly easy. A friend of mine created a sample once and orchestrated a mass submission across a few accounts to various RP guilds across the GGN. Not a one of his requests was turned down, yet all he did was spend a few extra minutes with MS Word to make sure everything was clean. According to him it was ultimately 2 paragraphs and about 10 minutes to come up with the scenario. He's taken some college writing classes though. Most ironic was he ultimately became deterred by the prospect of RPing at all.

I don't have a spell checker but I'm going to paste it on word from now on! I never actually thought of using it XD  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:18 pm
Though you have to beware of small typos like I do with on and one. Spelled correctly so it can be easily missed.  

Lady Bern
Vice Captain

Aekea Pirate

11,900 Points
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Nerd 50
  • Elocutionist 200

Bisquix

Shirtless Genius

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:26 pm
emiri-chou
Phaeton
You can't really take too hard the selection processes for RP guilds. Sometimes they do go based upon quantity and nothing else, this isn't the best approach as piling in more prose and text filler doesn't make for a better sample if the underlying process is terrible. The decent ones do check for good grammar, syntax, and spelling. This is fair, Firefox has its own spell-checker, I think Google Chrome even has a grammar checker now.

I don't want to say it's incredibly easy. A friend of mine created a sample once and orchestrated a mass submission across a few accounts to various RP guilds across the GGN. Not a one of his requests was turned down, yet all he did was spend a few extra minutes with MS Word to make sure everything was clean. According to him it was ultimately 2 paragraphs and about 10 minutes to come up with the scenario. He's taken some college writing classes though. Most ironic was he ultimately became deterred by the prospect of RPing at all.

I don't have a spell checker but I'm going to paste it on word from now on! I never actually thought of using it XD

Download firefox. It has spell check built in.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 3:35 pm
TheyCallMeCBiscut
emiri-chou
Phaeton

-cough- Or chrome.  

moonlightwolf111

emiri-chou

Fashionable Lunatic

12,125 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Beta Gaian 0
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:57 am
TheyCallMeCBiscut
emiri-chou
Phaeton

I have firefox but no spell check
I don't know why  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 4:57 am
emiri-chou
because I'm not "literate enough to be accepted" I'm not william shakespear! I can't write such in depth paragraphs that they make you aware of even a spider falling fro the ceiling at the other end of the room or a bird crashing into a window a hundred miles away!

I think choosing members from how well they can write is discrimination!
a friend of mine tried to enter this guild too but she got denied as well, she was highly offended because she's dislexic and spent ages and ages on the roleplay example. it was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than some of the posts I've seen there (she only had a few minor spelling mistakes here and there, NOBODY'S PERFECT!)

I'd laugh if that guild dies because it has too few members

does anyone agree with me?

I like this guild, I'm learning a lot!

You can either take this as just me being honest; look at it as constructive; or see me as a p***k.

This post makes you sound immature and whiny. It makes you sound out of touch with decent story telling pace; it makes you sound like you have a bad descriptive sense; it makes it hard for me to believe you're very good at making well rounded characters we can relate to or at the least feel passionately one way or the other about; this does seem that you generally have the technical end of writing down decently enough. However it seems like you have more trouble with the esoteric end that makes or breaks writers.

This is all however my opinion on a brief snap shot from the post about a rejection. I'll post something later once I actually get motivated to actually look into the matter. I think this importantly does 2 things. From what I understand the people you applied to only had the one chance for an impression from you. This is to illustrate an impression you may or may not be making. Secondly to contrast the impression of once I actually look into this and get to know you and what's going on. I'm worried because of how my thoughts don't translate well to text this all sounds far more douche-ish than it is in my head. The emphasis should be that this is more about a poorly and briefly formed opinion; based from a snap shot.  

Wrasynth Ksyamen

Hilarious Codger

7,450 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Trader 100

emiri-chou

Fashionable Lunatic

12,125 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Beta Gaian 0
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 5:21 am
Wrasynth Ksyamen
emiri-chou
because I'm not "literate enough to be accepted" I'm not william shakespear! I can't write such in depth paragraphs that they make you aware of even a spider falling fro the ceiling at the other end of the room or a bird crashing into a window a hundred miles away!

a friend of mine tried to enter this guild too but she got denied as well, she was highly offended because she's dislexic and spent ages and ages on the roleplay example. it was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than some of the posts I've seen there (she only had a few minor spelling mistakes here and there, NOBODY'S PERFECT!)

You can either take this as just me being honest; look at it as constructive; or see me as a p***k.

This post makes you sound immature and whiny. It makes you sound out of touch with decent story telling pace; it makes you sound like you have a bad descriptive sense; it makes it hard for me to believe you're very good at making well rounded characters we can relate to or at the least feel passionately one way or the other about; this does seem that you generally have the technical end of writing down decently enough. However it seems like you have more trouble with the esoteric end that makes or breaks writers.

This is all however my opinion on a brief snap shot from the post about a rejection. I'll post something later once I actually get motivated to actually look into the matter. I think this importantly does 2 things. From what I understand the people you applied to only had the one chance for an impression from you. This is to illustrate an impression you may or may not be making. Secondly to contrast the impression of once I actually look into this and get to know you and what's going on. I'm worried because of how my thoughts don't translate well to text this all sounds far more douche-ish than it is in my head. The emphasis should be that this is more about a poorly and briefly formed opinion; based from a snap shot.

I did sound whiny, and your not a p***k or a douche, I don't usually have much time online and have to write fast or I lose my work, It helps to know what people think of me, whether I like it or not  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 3:36 pm
emiri-chou
Wrasynth Ksyamen
emiri-chou

I did sound whiny, and your not a p***k or a douche, I don't usually have much time online and have to write fast or I lose my work, It helps to know what people think of me, whether I like it or not

I prefer honesty as well. I do like opinions but I need them to be specific to be constructive. Feral was a bit brutal too, I didn't know I was all ready on a band wagon of be brutal to you. Any-whosal do you still have that profile? Also yes, you do need to work on some basic grammar. However instead of just mindlessly harping on you. I doth have solutions. I offer these to a lot of people as they've helped me out a lot.

3 most common uses of irony.

Semicolons.

Apostrophe.

Stop misspelling these words.  

Wrasynth Ksyamen

Hilarious Codger

7,450 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Trader 100

Feral Knight

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 3:46 pm
(shrugs) I intended to be brutal. That's why I put the warning as an opener. I just don't like sugar coating things. I also don't like being rude or needlessly brutal in my characteristic blunt honesty, hence the warning. I readily admit to being an a** but I try to be fair about it.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:56 pm
Oh it was blunt and honest which is what I prefer. I just didn't know I was doing the same. I could of spent 30 seconds to find out I was all ready repeating the same act. Metaphorically, not to imply that this was 'acting'. I'm also reposting the same tips I post to anyone I see having minor trouble with writing. I however think it should be taught like this in schools as it's one of the best ways to make 'it' stick. Anyways sincerest apologies for being the second guy to roughly say the same thing. I hate that when people do that personally. I'd hate to have it done to me. @_@;; sorry.  

Wrasynth Ksyamen

Hilarious Codger

7,450 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Trader 100

LillianSaire
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:10 pm
OWL, an online writing resource through Purdue University, is amazing, and good for perusing or for looking up how to use something in particular.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 3:16 am
Wrasynth Ksyamen
emiri-chou
Wrasynth Ksyamen
emiri-chou

I prefer honesty as well. I do like opinions but I need them to be specific to be constructive. Feral was a bit brutal too, I didn't know I was all ready on a band wagon of be brutal to you. Any-whosal do you still have that profile? Also yes, you do need to work on some basic grammar. However instead of just mindlessly harping on you. I doth have solutions. I offer these to a lot of people as they've helped me out a lot.

3 most common uses of irony.

Semicolons.

Apostrophe.

Stop misspelling these words.

these are good! mayonnaise volcano warriors XD  

emiri-chou

Fashionable Lunatic

12,125 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Beta Gaian 0

airgid90arrakis

Distinct Shapeshifter

5,300 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Survivor 150
PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 11:26 am
LillianSaire
OWL, an online writing resource through Purdue University, is amazing, and good for perusing or for looking up how to use something in particular.

Online Web Learning?

We utilized this last summer for our Biochemistry subject and it was fun because we could refresh the page if we got the wrong answers to our homework until we finally got the right one which was the one the program recorded. blaugh

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 8:49 pm
I wonder has anyone had any strange character profile rejections.  

Lady Bern
Vice Captain

Aekea Pirate

11,900 Points
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Nerd 50
  • Elocutionist 200

Feral Knight

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 9:19 pm
Kind of. Once participated in a beast race rebellion RP, and was given a warning because my character was too civilized.  
Main Forum

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff