Welcome to Gaia! ::

Blank pages, loosely bound (BPLB)

Back to Guilds

A learn to roleplay guild, with classes and guides. An RP school for Gaians of any level. 

Tags: teach, role, play, guide, class 

Reply Main Forum
I just got refused entry to an rp guild Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

do you think it's fair?
  yes
  no!
View Results

emiri-chou

Fashionable Lunatic

12,125 Points
  • Unfortunate Abductee 175
  • Nerd 50
  • Beta Gaian 0
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:10 am
because I'm not "literate enough to be accepted" I'm not william shakespear! I can't write such in depth paragraphs that they make you aware of even a spider falling fro the ceiling at the other end of the room or a bird crashing into a window a hundred miles away!

I think choosing members from how well they can write is discrimination!
a friend of mine tried to enter this guild too but she got denied as well, she was highly offended because she's dislexic and spent ages and ages on the roleplay example. it was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than some of the posts I've seen there (she only had a few minor spelling mistakes here and there, NOBODY'S PERFECT!)

I'd laugh if that guild dies because it has too few members

does anyone agree with me?

I like this guild, I'm learning a lot!  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:21 am
do people like to tick me off or something?!
we can't all be super amazing at English!
at least I remember things some roleplyaers forget, like apostrophes, I even spent ages trying to find more ways of using a semi colon for heavens sake!  

emiri-chou

Fashionable Lunatic

12,125 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Beta Gaian 0

Lady Bern
Vice Captain

Aekea Pirate

11,900 Points
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Nerd 50
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:30 am
This is not for raiding purposes or name dropping but which guild was it?

That has happened to me before. One was a rather interest looking RP for a dark sort of take on Grimm's Fairy Tales. But I was kindly rejected and told that it was created mainly for the creator's friends. I think it died soon after.

And earlier in my RP days I tried for this android like semi-lit RP. I painstakingly wrote the profile and submitted the best RP sample I could provide and still I was rejected thought I wasn't told why. I felt a small bit of satisfaction when I saw a week afterward it had died.

That guild might just be selective or the leader might be an elitist and like feeling like a bouncer outside of a club that really isn't as great as they make it out to be. There are other guilds out there some far better than that one.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:30 am
I said yes, on a purely philosophical standpoint.

I've owned Literate RP guilds before. And just on principle, you do have full right to refuse anyone who you think won't flow with what you are trying to build in that guild.

It's not a matter of being super-amazing in English, how literate you are, how long your posts are. It's a matter of that "The guild master is completely in their right to refuse anyone they want to." That's why it's perfectly fair you where refused.

If I didn't like your RP style and thought it wasn't up to snuff for the RP, I wouldn't let you join either. Because that's my right as guild master. This is not a system where I have to let the whole of Gaia into a guild just because they can try to post six lines and call it a paragraph. >B[

So philosophically, yes. It was fair. It's their right to refuse you, whether or not they are being a elitist snob or not.

How about being proactive, heading out and finding a new guild or making your own, rather than coming here and whining about it?  

Ten Tails

Dapper Shapeshifter

7,375 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Full closet 200

Lady Bern
Vice Captain

Aekea Pirate

11,900 Points
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Nerd 50
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:33 am
And what Ten says is true as well.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:34 am
Lady Bern
This is not for raiding purposes or name dropping but which guild was it?

That has happened to me before. One was a rather interest looking RP for a dark sort of take on Grimm's Fairy Tales. But I was kindly rejected and told that it was created mainly for the creator's friends. I think it died soon after.

And earlier in my RP days I tried for this android like semi-lit RP. I painstakingly wrote the profile and submitted the best RP sample I could provide and still I was rejected thought I wasn't told why. I felt a small bit of satisfaction when I saw a week afterward it had died.

That guild might just be selective or the leader might be an elitist and like feeling like a bouncer outside of a club that really isn't as great as they make it out to be. There are other guilds out there some far better than that one.

it was a harry potter one, I can't remeber the name or find it anymore  

emiri-chou

Fashionable Lunatic

12,125 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Beta Gaian 0

Lady Bern
Vice Captain

Aekea Pirate

11,900 Points
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Nerd 50
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:37 am
Ah. Chances are they were being rather selective.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:38 am
Guilds have to deny entry to people who they don't seem literate enough. Mainly because illiterate people tend to godmod. I know as a guild owner.  

Bisquix

Shirtless Genius

emiri-chou

Fashionable Lunatic

12,125 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Beta Gaian 0
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:39 am
Lady Bern
And what Ten says is true as well.

true, but they didn't have to make me work my fingers off creating a detaild profile (with a back story, which I hate writing) and suggest some plot ideas only to tell me no, also the captain accepted me and told me I could make a profile before asking me for a roleplay example  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:39 am
TheyCallMeCBiscut
Guilds have to deny entry to people who they don't seem literate enough. Mainly because illiterate people tend to godmod. I know as a guild owner.

I hate godmodding and can assure you I never have attepted to  

emiri-chou

Fashionable Lunatic

12,125 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Beta Gaian 0

Feral Knight

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:54 am
Criticism incoming, so if you don't like it then you should probably quit reading.

While I agree with Bern and Ten, I have to point out that if your example was anything like your whining post at the start of this thread, then you very well could have been denied because you can't seem to follow some very basic grammar rules. The first letter in every sentence is supposed to be capitalized. The first letter in every name is supposed to be capitalized. Punctuation goes at the end of every sentence, not just when you want to declare something. The fact that you capitalized 'I' like you are supposed to just makes the mistakes all the more glaringly distinctive. I should also point out that there are quite a few guild leaders who will actually do some research on the people applying. If they look through your posts and see posts like the one you have above, then they are just going to deny you. If you can't be bothered to use basic grammar in an out of character post like this, then why should they bother to trust you to use basic grammar in the roleplay? If you want to be accepted, you have to advertise yourself. And, I am sorry to say, you aren't doing a very good job of it.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:07 pm
yeah, I see now, I'm not so good with punctuation, and my keyboard hates me. I'm not angry any more, but my fingers still hurt XD
sorry for whining, I was an idiot, I've shown myself up, I will go and headbut the wall now
I need to find a way to remind me to put capital letters at the beginning of nouns
I can take critisizm, it helps, Thanks!  

emiri-chou

Fashionable Lunatic

12,125 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Beta Gaian 0

Lady Bern
Vice Captain

Aekea Pirate

11,900 Points
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Nerd 50
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:12 pm
Ugh I hate doing the background checks. That has exposed me to levels of sleaze I did not think possible on Gaia. I found one guy who used the 'n' word as commonly as you would use 'the'. One girl who was a cyber whore charging gaia gold for each session. She actually had a price list and a picture of herself from behind wearing nothing but a thong. And on her page you could see how skanky her friends were and just how many desperate people had paid for her services.

I think I actually had to shower after looking at her profile page.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:16 pm
You can't really take too hard the selection processes for RP guilds. Sometimes they do go based upon quantity and nothing else, this isn't the best approach as piling in more prose and text filler doesn't make for a better sample if the underlying process is terrible. The decent ones do check for good grammar, syntax, and spelling. This is fair, Firefox has its own spell-checker, I think Google Chrome even has a grammar checker now.

I don't want to say it's incredibly easy. A friend of mine created a sample once and orchestrated a mass submission across a few accounts to various RP guilds across the GGN. Not a one of his requests was turned down, yet all he did was spend a few extra minutes with MS Word to make sure everything was clean. According to him it was ultimately 2 paragraphs and about 10 minutes to come up with the scenario. He's taken some college writing classes though. Most ironic was he ultimately became deterred by the prospect of RPing at all.  

Phaeton

emiri-chou

Fashionable Lunatic

12,125 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Beta Gaian 0
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:19 pm
Lady Bern
Ugh I hate doing the background checks. That has exposed me to levels of sleaze I did not think possible on Gaia. I found one guy who used the 'n' word as commonly as you would use 'the'. One girl who was a cyber whore charging gaia gold for each session. She actually had a price list and a picture of herself from behind wearing nothing but a thong. And on her page you could see how skanky her friends were and just how many desperate people had paid for her services.

I think I actually had to shower after looking at her profile page.

dear sweet cupcakes, I need to vomit *bleeuuuuuurgh!* cybering is one thing that ticks me off!
especially when they cyber in towns, I dunno why they do
I used to say "teh" a lot instead of "the" don't worry though, I killed that weird habit to death!  
Main Forum

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff