Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Polyglot's and Linguist's Guild

Back to Guilds

A place where people learning languages or studying linguistics can come to discuss and hang out! 

Tags: language, linguistics, polyglot, linguist, foreign languages 

Reply Language Learning - Europe
Idioma Español - Estudiantes Españoles Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

How are the lessons going?
  Great! I've already learned a lot!
  Meh. They could be better.
  Horribly! You should never teach again!
View Results

gravitybutton

Lonely Prophet

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:30 am
Hey everyone! I'm making this as a discussion thread about the Spanish lessons I've been posting! If you have any questions, comments, problems or suggestions, I'd be happy to make the lessons as good as possible 3nodding

Also...I'd like to know who's been looking at the lessons. Please introduce yourself! It's nice to know that I'm not teaching to thin air.

You can call me Chris whee  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:29 pm
Hello all. I am Nèron~ I'm here reading your Spanish lessons, and every new lesson is even more exciting than the last. I'm an avid student of Latin, and naturally, learning Spanish after that is incredible. Just to prove I read everything, I will proceed to babble a lot about it. =D If I were to pretend that I am a modern day Roman, I wouldn't look upon the dialect of "Hispania" negatively; on the contrary, I see it rather fondly. Diversity is, in my opinion, so much more interesting than one uniformity.
That said, there are lexical and grammatical ideas going into this that I not only already grasp, but also have a deeper understanding than (in rare ish cases) even some native speakers! Much of the vocabulary, I already know. Spanish word for book? Libro. In Latin? Liber. ;3 Vendedor? Oh, seller. How do I know? Venditor, from Latin, of course. Why is it spelled "vendedor"? I know. ;33 Luz is, I already know without a second thought, a feminine noun and means "light". How do I know that? That particular -z ending, well guess where that came from, and guess what gender it's understood as. ;333 Despite the rule generally being that -o nouns are masculine, I know immediately that "mano" is an exception. Why? Because the original word (manus) was a purple noun in Latin and was feminine. x3
Those verbs, why are there different classes? Three guesses. I already know almost every one. Correr, to run, right? Currere, to flow; proceed. ;D Comer, to eat. Cœnare, to dine; have supper. Beber, drink? Bibere. Vivir, live? Vivere. Creer, believe? Credere. Vender, sell? Vendere. I could go on forever. Conjugate one.

Vendo
Vendes
Vende
Vendemos
Vendéis
Venden

Now in Latin. ;3

Vendo
Vendis
Vendit
Vendimus
Venditis
Vendunt

Wow, lookie at that. =DD I can even take some pretty educated guesses as to verbs I don't know yet. To die must be morir, in Spanish, right? I bet it is. ;3 Me llamo Nèron. Why do you say "me" and not "yo" there? I know~

So anyway, my crazy nerd babble aside, I just want to point out, even though I know you already know, that Spanish is basically simplified Latin. Because I know Latin, I understand a plethora of things in Spanish without ever requiring an explanation. Which, as I'm sure you have already noticed, is unfathomably exciting. So count me as the first student; I'm in! whee

Tc Frorleivus Almus Ph
Captain

6,325 Points
  • Statustician 100
  • Hygienic 200
  • Signature Look 250

SpadeAttack

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:31 pm
Hello there~

You have another student.

I'm trying to relearn my Spanish so I can communicate better with a lot of the people around me. Living in Texas, you hear Spanish everywhere, so relearning it would help me a lot. Also, I would be cooler. =P  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:48 pm
Shizuka Mizu
Hello all. I am Nèron~ I'm here reading your Spanish lessons, and every new lesson is even more exciting than the last. I'm an avid student of Latin, and naturally, learning Spanish after that is incredible. Just to prove I read everything, I will proceed to babble a lot about it. =D If I were to pretend that I am a modern day Roman, I wouldn't look upon the dialect of "Hispania" negatively; on the contrary, I see it rather fondly. Diversity is, in my opinion, so much more interesting than one uniformity.
That said, there are lexical and grammatical ideas going into this that I not only already grasp, but also have a deeper understanding than (in rare ish cases) even some native speakers! Much of the vocabulary, I already know. Spanish word for book? Libro. In Latin? Liber. ;3 Vendedor? Oh, seller. How do I know? Venditor, from Latin, of course. Why is it spelled "vendedor"? I know. ;33 Luz is, I already know without a second thought, a feminine noun and means "light". How do I know that? That particular -z ending, well guess where that came from, and guess what gender it's understood as. ;333 Despite the rule generally being that -o nouns are masculine, I know immediately that "mano" is an exception. Why? Because the original word (manus) was a purple noun in Latin and was feminine. x3
Those verbs, why are there different classes? Three guesses. I already know almost every one. Correr, to run, right? Currere, to flow; proceed. ;D Comer, to eat. Cœnare, to dine; have supper. Beber, drink? Bibere. Vivir, live? Vivere. Creer, believe? Credere. Vender, sell? Vendere. I could go on forever. Conjugate one.

Vendo
Vendes
Vende
Vendemos
Vendéis
Venden

Now in Latin. ;3

Vendo
Vendis
Vendit
Vendimus
Venditis
Vendunt

Wow, lookie at that. =DD I can even take some pretty educated guesses as to verbs I don't know yet. To die must be morir, in Spanish, right? I bet it is. ;3 Me llamo Nèron. Why do you say "me" and not "yo" there? I know~

So anyway, my crazy nerd babble aside, I just want to point out, even though I know you already know, that Spanish is basically simplified Latin. Because I know Latin, I understand a plethora of things in Spanish without ever requiring an explanation. Which, as I'm sure you have already noticed, is unfathomably exciting. So count me as the first student; I'm in! whee

I'm glad you like it! And those are some pretty interesting connections :O I find some of the same ones in your Latin lessons, and it just goes to show how much Latin can help you with the Romance languages. There are some difficulties learning "backwards", from a Romance language to Latin (like the case endings), as you start with the less complicated and try to go to the more. It is fun, though, to look at a piece of Latin when you don't understand it all and pick it out from a basic grammatical understanding and the Spanish and English roots. I love languages, so very much, and I can see you share my enthusiasm whee Your whole rant about the language makes me want to continue with the lessons immediately.

The similarity of verb conjugations makes learning the ones in Latin so much easier, I have to say. The I, you and we conjugations are so similar that it's virtually intelligible. Italian's infinitives more closely model those of Latin, but it's still not that big a difference Spanish > Latin or the other way around. I'm starting to babble as well (about a completely unrelated subject), but you get it.

I'm glad you're excited! And I'm glad for a first student!

(And I just find it absolutely hilarious every time I see something about Roman disdain for the emerging Romance languages. It really makes you think about how society views pidgin languages and creoles today. History is only history because it already happened, but it's happening as we speak wink )  

gravitybutton

Lonely Prophet

gravitybutton

Lonely Prophet

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:50 pm
SpadeAttack
Hello there~

You have another student.

I'm trying to relearn my Spanish so I can communicate better with a lot of the people around me. Living in Texas, you hear Spanish everywhere, so relearning it would help me a lot. Also, I would be cooler. =P

Hey! It's always nice to have more students! I'd imagine there are *quite* a few people speaking Spanish in Texas (although I've only been there twice razz ) so it would be quite useful. Knowing another language also does give you that cool factor. wink

Welcome, and I hope the lessons are useful!  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:16 am
....Me llamo Coccinelle...
why 'me' instead of 'yo'?
well, you skip the pronoun as you sometimes do in japanese
the full sentence would be "(Yo) me llamo Coccinelle"
and the 'me' is a reflective. the verb is 'llamarse'
as in french "Je m' appelle Coccinelle"  

Coccinelle Demoiselle

5,600 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300

gravitybutton

Lonely Prophet

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:28 pm
Coccinelle Demoiselle

Exactly smile Welcome.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:03 pm
Coccinelle Demoiselle

That is correct. However, what I was getting at is why is the verb reflexive? Why can you not just say "yo llamo" to imply "I am called"? Why do you have to say "I call myself"?  

Tc Frorleivus Almus Ph
Captain

6,325 Points
  • Statustician 100
  • Hygienic 200
  • Signature Look 250

Doppelgaanger

7,350 Points
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Mark Twain 100
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:50 pm
Shizuka Mizu
Coccinelle Demoiselle

That is correct. However, what I was getting at is why is the verb reflexive? Why can you not just say "yo llamo" to imply "I am called"? Why do you have to say "I call myself"?

I feel like I'm dragging up a topic from beyond the grave, but whatever.

Anyway, the way the verb is set up is to translate from llamarse to "to call oneself." Llamar just means "to call," like you can "llamar por telefono." So to produce that sort of "I am called" construction, you'd need the past participle instead, "estoy llamado." Which of course is not entirely what the phrase is intended to mean, and is slightly more challenging to say.

Naturally, though, the phrase "llamarse" lends itself to translations such as he calls me, I call him, etc. which subsequently leads to I call myself. Of course, I'm no linguist nor an expert in the Spanish language, this is all just speculation, so take it with a grain of salt. But I hope it helped you out.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:23 pm
Doppelgaanger
Shizuka Mizu
Coccinelle Demoiselle

Anyway, the way the verb is set up is to translate from llamarse to "to call oneself." Llamar just means "to call," like you can "llamar por telefono." So to produce that sort of "I am called" construction, you'd need the past participle instead, "estoy llamado." Which of course is not entirely what the phrase is intended to mean, and is slightly more challenging to say.

Naturally, though, the phrase "llamarse" lends itself to translations such as he calls me, I call him, etc. which subsequently leads to I call myself. Of course, I'm no linguist nor an expert in the Spanish language, this is all just speculation, so take it with a grain of salt. But I hope it helped you out.

Ah, that is a good guess. I was just trying to get at the fact that the construction descends from Latin. When "I" am part of a sentence, you have the option of using the pronoun "ego". When I am the object of the action, "ego" becomes the accusative case, "me". Essentially, when I "call myself" something, I am referring to "me". Thus, you maintain the same case in Latin and use "me" and the verb "to call", or adpellare. Me adpellare Nèron. "I call me (myself) Nèron." This grammar descends into Spanish; there is no real accusative case, and yet it remains in the form of reflexive verbs. Thus, you have "(yo) me llamo" and not "yo llamo".  

Tc Frorleivus Almus Ph
Captain

6,325 Points
  • Statustician 100
  • Hygienic 200
  • Signature Look 250

Doppelgaanger

7,350 Points
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Mark Twain 100
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 6:11 pm
Shizuka Mizu
Doppelgaanger
Shizuka Mizu
Coccinelle Demoiselle

Ah, that is a good guess. I was just trying to get at the fact that the construction descends from Latin. When "I" am part of a sentence, you have the option of using the pronoun "ego". When I am the object of the action, "ego" becomes the accusative case, "me". Essentially, when I "call myself" something, I am referring to "me". Thus, you maintain the same case in Latin and use "me" and the verb "to call", or adpellare. Me adpellare Nèron. "I call me (myself) Nèron." This grammar descends into Spanish; there is no real accusative case, and yet it remains in the form of reflexive verbs. Thus, you have "(yo) me llamo" and not "yo llamo".

I see, I also find it interesting that the I call myself construction is used in most Romance languages. "Mi chiamo" "Je m'apelle" "Me llamo." Of course there are others, but I don't know them I would hate to be wrong about it. I just really like the similarities in them all.  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:46 pm
OK. My name is Becka. Me llamo Becka.
I can speak a little of spanish and other languages but I really suck at spelling so I have never learned to write them. In spanish I can say that it is really inportant to study my book in the bathroom tomorrow, and where are my pants.
Kinda funny things to say... I know. I have always been interested in learning, just wondering why you stopped?  

Lillian Ginn

Tc Frorleivus Almus Ph
Captain

6,325 Points
  • Statustician 100
  • Hygienic 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 3:22 pm
Lillian Ginn
I can speak a little of spanish and other languages but I really suck at spelling so I have never learned to write them. In spanish I can say that it is really inportant to study my book in the bathroom tomorrow, and where are my pants.
Kinda funny things to say... I know. I have always been interested in learning, just wondering why you stopped?

Sadly, not as many people are interested in learning or teaching as they were, it seems. I'm still as interested as ever about teaching Latin, but I currently have no regular students. I don't suppose Latin is on your list of languages to learn, huh? So that would make me the only active teacher, and I'm currently only teaching Latin. ='(  
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 3:24 pm
Shizuka Mizu
Lillian Ginn

Sadly, not as many people are interested in learning or teaching as they were, it seems. I'm still as interested as ever about teaching Latin, but I currently have no regular students. I don't suppose Latin is on your list of languages to learn, huh? So that would make me the only active teacher, and I'm currently only teaching Latin. ='(

I hear latin is really hard. Do you have the patience?  

Lillian Ginn

Tc Frorleivus Almus Ph
Captain

6,325 Points
  • Statustician 100
  • Hygienic 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 3:46 pm
Lillian Ginn
Shizuka Mizu
Lillian Ginn

I hear latin is really hard. Do you have the patience?

I am pretty confident that I do. However, no one has yet to challenge it; none of the students have really participated.  
Language Learning - Europe

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff