Welcome to Gaia! ::

Greek Mythology Guild

Back to Guilds

A guild for lovers of Greek Mythology in all its rich variety. 

Tags: Greek, Greece, Classical, Mythology, Myth 

Reply Greek Mythology Guild
Do you consider Hades evil? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Akherontis
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:43 pm
Qyp
A few things make him evil, depending on what version of the story, the taking of Persephone.

Then there is deal with the harp player, I forgot his name. But there is not real evil in that, just a little sadistic though.

Yes, that is what Hades is, Sadistic. He gets pleasure from giving others pain. But that is really his only entertainment....

TaisiaTuaMagia
money is NEVER evil wink

Greed. Sloth. Lust.

Many crimes have been committed because of money. Poverty is because of money, or lack of because of warlords.

I would not characterize Hades as being sadistic. He is responsible not only for punishing the wicked, but also rewarding the virtuous. He is merely strict. The ultimate impartial judge.

He is definitely greedy, however. He's virtually the god of greed (although that might also be the boatman Kharon, the god Ploutos or the daimona Adephagia).  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:25 pm
Akherontis
Qyp
A few things make him evil, depending on what version of the story, the taking of Persephone.

Then there is deal with the harp player, I forgot his name. But there is not real evil in that, just a little sadistic though.

Yes, that is what Hades is, Sadistic. He gets pleasure from giving others pain. But that is really his only entertainment....

TaisiaTuaMagia
money is NEVER evil wink

Greed. Sloth. Lust.

Many crimes have been committed because of money. Poverty is because of money, or lack of because of warlords.

I would not characterize Hades as being sadistic. He is responsible not only for punishing the wicked, but also rewarding the virtuous. He is merely strict. The ultimate impartial judge.

He is definitely greedy, however. He's virtually the god of greed (although that might also be the boatman Kharon, the god Ploutos or the daimona Adephagia).

At least Kharon doesn't give into inflation in pricing.  

Qyp

Manly Lunatic

Dark-Hunteress Sage

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 3:51 pm
Yeah that is always a good thing.  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:02 pm
Personally I believe Hades isn't evil, but he has his flaws, just like the other Gods. I mean just look at Zeus! He cheats on his wife constantly and doesn't care if she knows or not. Hades is probably just tired of having to deal with the souls of people moaning and screaming, I would be too if I was in his place >.>  

killenfluffy

FlickoFly

Dapper Dreamer

24,725 Points
  • Runway Supermodel 1000
  • Alchemy Level 6 100
  • 5000 High Score 200
PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 11:07 am
Nah, he's more of a neutral kind of character, in my opinion.  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:38 pm
im gonna say no to hes evil = w = honestly he was tricked so hes just mad :p  

Xox Lelouch Vi Britannia

Akherontis
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:27 pm
Xox Len Kagamine
im gonna say no to hes evil = w = honestly he was tricked so hes just mad :p

When was he tricked, and why was he mad?

I hope you aren't referring to when Zeus, Poseidon and Hades drew lots to determine which parts of the universe they would rule over. There was no trickery involved there, they were leaving the decision in the hands of the Fates. There are no mythical accounts whatsoever stating that Hades is in any way displeased or dissatisfied about ruling the underworld. Nor should there be, since he is for all intents and purposes the richest of all gods (he owns all the precious minerals within the earth, hence his other title Plouton, the Wealthy) and has by far the most subjects under his governance. Poseidon is the angry brother, not Hades.  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:26 pm
I don't find him to be any more "evil" than any of the other gods are. It's too easy to attach that archetype onto based on his environment, what he stands for, etc. I've always found it a little funny that most mythological movies will pit Zeus (white/good) versus Hades (black/evil) when I find Zeus to be a much more abhorrent figure.  

rootnoodle

Dapper Deadeye

Akherontis
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:31 pm
rootnoodle
I don't find him to be any more "evil" than any of the other gods are. It's too easy to attach that archetype onto based on his environment, what he stands for, etc. I've always found it a little funny that most mythological movies will pit Zeus (white/good) versus Hades (black/evil) when I find Zeus to be a much more abhorrent figure.

Eh. I agree with your statement, but I'm inclined to think that Hades and Zeus are on about the same level of impropriety. Zeus' underhanded escapades are simply more well documented than Hades', as the Lord Who Receives Many never leaves the underworld. He still cheated on Persephone twice (with Minthe and Leuke), not to mention abducting the Maiden in the first place, and Persephone returned the favour with Adonis.

I should still like to bring to the forefront that the mythical stories should be held up alongside the religious beliefs. Even though Zeus was a lecherous egomaniac, he was still the co-creator of mankind, the bringer of justice and law, the enforcer of hospitality, the protector of wanderers, orderer of the hours, months and seasons, father of heroes, defeater of monsters and so on, and so forth. He wasn't a shining paragon of virtue, but gods aren't supposed to be, they're simply supposed to do their jobs well.  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:20 pm
Akherontis
Eh. I agree with your statement, but I'm inclined to think that Hades and Zeus are on about the same level of impropriety. Zeus' underhanded escapades are simply more well documented than Hades', as the Lord Who Receives Many never leaves the underworld. He still cheated on Persephone twice (with Minthe and Leuke), not to mention abducting the Maiden in the first place, and Persephone returned the favour with Adonis.

I should still like to bring to the forefront that the mythical stories should be held up alongside the religious beliefs. Even though Zeus was a lecherous egomaniac, he was still the co-creator of mankind, the bringer of justice and law, the enforcer of hospitality, the protector of wanderers, orderer of the hours, months and seasons, father of heroes, defeater of monsters and so on, and so forth. He wasn't a shining paragon of virtue, but gods aren't supposed to be, they're simply supposed to do their jobs well.

That's a good point and I agree with you! I promise my opinion on Zeus is completely separate from what he does well, though, he's just a very randy and suspicious fellow most of the time sometimes. Really, I'm just not under the impression that gods should be categorized under "good or "evil", because I find that the whole point of their concepts is that they defy those categories.  

rootnoodle

Dapper Deadeye

Akherontis
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:43 pm
rootnoodle
Akherontis

That's a good point and I agree with you! I promise my opinion on Zeus is completely separate from what he does well, though, he's just a very randy and suspicious fellow most of the time sometimes. Really, I'm just not under the impression that gods should be categorized under "good or "evil", because I find that the whole point of their concepts is that they defy those categories.

Well, not all of them. Kakia, for instance, is literally the personification of wickedness and vice, so she's as evil as they come. Not to mention Adikia (Lawlessness) and Ate (Ruin).  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:49 pm
Akherontis
Well, not all of them. Kakia, for instance, is literally the personification of wickedness and vice, so she's as evil as they come. Not to mention Adikia (Lawlessness) and Ate (Ruin).

Oh, I didn't know that! Thanks smile I was thinking more of the main gods, but admittedly I haven't done much reading into the outer pantheon.  

rootnoodle

Dapper Deadeye

Akherontis
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:04 pm
rootnoodle
Akherontis

Oh, I didn't know that! Thanks smile I was thinking more of the main gods, but admittedly I haven't done much reading into the outer pantheon.

XD The Pantheon IS outer. Pantheon literally means 'All Gods'. But yeah, there are hundreds of other deities out there, some of them quite fascinating.  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:06 am
Akherontis
lil_cute_pali
I don't think Hades is evil, just moody since he has to work with the dead 24/7. He is the oldest of his brothers and was the last to pick out a domain, otherwise, it means he only had the Underworld left to himself. Plus since he ate the food from the Underworld, he can't really go out into the main world. Which sucks.

Huh!?

Nononono, you people have got it all wrong!

Zeus, Poseidon and Hades drew lots to determine which third of the universe belonged to them. Essentially, they were leaving their decision up to the Fates, who would make the best arrangement concerning how things were run.

Hades is not bound to the underworld, he was not cheated or tricked, and he does not resent his choice. He made the rule about eating the food of the dead. He has never left the underworld except to abduct Persephone, because he likes it there. His kingdom is the largest, by far the wealthiest and has the most subjects. Zeus and Poseidon hardly have subjects.

Hades is not the miserable, misunderstood woobie that you all seem to think he is! Personally, I imagine Hades would be quite offended by all this misplaced sympathy.

Sorry, lil_cute_pali, this rant isn't just intended for you. User Image

I am inclined, on a personal note, to agree that Hades is not evil. Hades is my patron God in ritual and has revealed a wonderfully diverse personality. P. C. Cast gave a wonderful portrayal of him in her Goddess of Spring. He is a concerned father, a wonderful husband, treats the dead as his children, and is a hard-working hobbyist. He has a passion for the way a fire tempers metal and that metal's uses. He takes pride in the riches found in the underworld! He also works with gemstones, and he prides himself in adjusting the natural flow of the life that passes through his underworld.

His realm is rich in flora and fauna, and many of the gods and goddesses have forged more mature bonds than are represented in the mythologies. He and Persephone host dinners with not only the wonderful lords of the underworld but also of any lord and lady that will visit.

He can be dispassionate when it is called for, and that can be construed as pained. Persephone is the only entity there that has learned that! He does get moody, but it is mostly when he has to punish those he would rather cradle and teach. Suicides of children hurt him the most, and he calls them senseless. There is much he must do to keep his realm in balance, and sometimes it can be trying.

I gladly go to him for advice, or sometimes just to talk.  

MorgaineoftheLake

7,400 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Profitable 100
  • Invisibility 100
Greek Mythology Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items