Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Back to Guilds

Our goal is to spread awareness of, lessen unwarranted hatred of, and create a safe haven for the LGBTQ community and their allies. 

Tags: Gay Straight Alliance, LGBT, homosexual, straight, transgender 

Reply Extended Discussion
Eminem homophobia? Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Mistress Le Gasp

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:27 am
I'm a fan of Eminem, it's just the kind of music I like, but I recently heard about the homophobia rumors a few years back.

Does anyone know about those?  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:02 am
User Image

----------------------------------------------

Some of his older albums had homophobic lyrics - my favorite, Marshall Mathers LP, being one...although that album was rife with misogyny, as well. I don't know if you've seen it or not, but he was interviewed by Anderson Cooper this year, and homophobia was brought up. I haven't seen it myself, but there were a loooot of angry comments on the video.

Centipedes In Utero

Shameless Streaker

10,900 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100

Meeatu

5,250 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Forum Regular 100
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:22 am
No offence, but what did you expect?  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:59 am
Because someone raps/sings about something doesn't mean it is true.

There are rappers that rap about poppin' (killing) bitc*es and *oes, does that means they actually do it? Or even how about doing driveby's? Do they even do that?

It is just a song, to build up the spirit of angst. Nothing more. Such as Nicki Minaj and Eminems new single "Romans Revenge", very good song, and yet he talks about smacking s**t around, and the silly little faggots and what not...yea..not true. Just lyrical. Sorry to burst your bubble..

Just a thought...

JessicaRoseDiva

3,650 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100

TylerAnnihilate

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:12 am
JessicaRoseDiva
Because someone raps/sings about something doesn't mean it is true.

There are rappers that rap about poppin' (killing) bitc*es and *oes, does that means they actually do it? Or even how about doing driveby's? Do they even do that?

It is just a song, to build up the spirit of angst. Nothing more. Such as Nicki Minaj and Eminems new single "Romans Revenge", very good song, and yet he talks about smacking s**t around, and the silly little faggots and what not...yea..not true. Just lyrical. Sorry to burst your bubble..

Just a thought...

Roman's Revenge is one of my favorite songs, and the whole time he talks about slapping around bitches. However, he does say the lyric "All you lil faggots can suck it, and i'ma stick it to 'em like refrigerator magnets."
Which upset me quite a bit.
But it's confusing because Nicki Minaj supports gay rights, and her alter ego "Roman" is a gay male, so I'm confused.  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:23 am
Ah, Roman's Revenge is my favorite, as well. heart
Honestly, if he is really against the LGBT community, that won't change my views about him as a rapper. He's a great rapper and I will ALWAYS listen to his music, no matter what.

I agree with JessicaRoseDiva. Rappers rap about all kinds of s**t. I just found this:

"In an interview though, he said he uses terms like this because to him they mean somebody who is weak. But he doesn't want to offend gays, he just doesn't see the word in that way."

So, apparently he isn't a homophobe.

iFluffaluffagus

3,900 Points
  • Clambake 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300

Vicious Bollocks

5,050 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Team Jacob 100
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:43 am
You guys do realize he did a number with Elton John and has spoken out numerous times that he's not a homophobe, right?

Lol wait, that would require actually researching something.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:55 am
[=====================================]

they stare at me

eminem kinda just is a strange person people also believe hes a freemason. him being a homophobe i dont know but reading some other comments it sounds like he could be.

why do they ask the questions

[========================================]

Papurusuta

4,250 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Hygienic 200

Her Silent Cries

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:09 pm
he said himself he doesn't hate gay people. He even did a performance with Elton John they did 'Dear Stan' together.

He only says that stuff in songs becuase most people won't. It's for attention. That's all. He's famous because he's not afraid to say stuff other's won't  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:13 pm
Vicious Bollocks
You guys do realize he did a number with Elton John and has spoken out numerous times that he's not a homophobe, right?

Lol wait, that would require actually researching something.

This.

But I don't like Eminem or his music, or (c)rap in general, so I wouldn't care if he was homophobic.

Deleteasaurus

Hugel

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 7:04 am
Eminem is a strange and talented man.

I don't get the vibe that he's a homophobe, granted he uses some very strong words in his songs. But then again as a rapper and many rappers out there, he has an above the normal human's understanding of words and meanings.

He's quite political and most terms and words he uses are primarily for show and use for frustration, or a term to describe the community who doesn't agree and are against him.  
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 7:32 am
It's his alter ego that's homophobic o~O  

Countervail

MissDemeter

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 9:44 am
Agreeing with most of the things said so far. Plus, Elton John helped him out immensely when Eminem was addicted to drugs a few years back. Since, they've actually been really good friends, and they talk often.

Eminem has actually said that he doesn't care if someone is gay.  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:51 am
Eminem's level of homophobia is Neglegible at MOST

the cited lyrics use the word "f*****t" as an isult towards someone he was dissing

If he is at all homophobic, it's in the generally accepted sense of "Just don't hit on me" and nowhere touching the racism of That bounty hunter from T.V. or Mel Gibson,  

Dusty-Boy

Dangerous Autobiographer

2,450 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Signature Look 250

The Sweet Irony

Tipsy Shapeshifter

8,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Alchemy Level 1 100
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:17 pm
iFluffaluffagus
Honestly, if he is really against the LGBT community, that won't change my views about him as a rapper. He's a great rapper and I will ALWAYS listen to his music, no matter what.

I think the answer as to Eminem not being a homophobe has been stated in this thread several times, but I just felt like this bit needed to be said again. heart

He's not, but even if he was, the lyrics don't mean any less.  
Extended Discussion

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff