Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Polyglot's and Linguist's Guild

Back to Guilds

A place where people learning languages or studying linguistics can come to discuss and hang out! 

Tags: language, linguistics, polyglot, linguist, foreign languages 

Reply Language Learning - Europe
LINGVALATINA - Calling all Latin pupils! Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

How is class going?
  Great! I'm learning a lot!
  Alright. Some things could be better.
  You're a terrible teacher!
  I'm just confused. Help!
View Results

Hermonie Urameshi

Conservative Explorer

6,550 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Alchemy Level 1 100
  • Guildmember 100
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:18 am
Poetry tends to break all the rules. I know in the Mass, a lot of it is poetry. Perhaps that has something to do with the differences...

Very interesting to think about.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:43 am
Nevermind, I lied. =p We're going to do green adjectives, which will give way to the yellow nouns and verbs so that when we do the orange adjectives, it'll be easier to deal with. It'll work, I promise.  

Tc Frorleivus Almus Ph
Captain

6,325 Points
  • Statustician 100
  • Hygienic 200
  • Signature Look 250

Lillian Ginn

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 4:35 pm
I'm Becka. Latin scares me. I'm taking notes and might make some flash cards, but other than that i just got done with the pronunciation guide. I'm a little scared to go on to the next one. question gonk  
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 4:42 pm
So, what about them? In Latin, there is this somewhat complicated idea called "declension". At first, this may seem confusing, but try to bear with me. Latin is what they call a "fusional language", which means that we attach affixes to the base form of a word to express different meanings. That's really just a fancy-shmancy way to express this idea: (base of the word that doesn't change)(ending here that does change). Word - ending 1. Word - ending 2. Ending 1 will mean, let's say, subject. Ending 2 will mean object. That's all it is. Depending on the way a word ends and its gender will sort of determine in what way the endings are affected. With that in mind, there are groups of nouns in Latin that have the same or similar endings and/or will conjugate similar to each other. These groups of similarly conjugating nouns are called "declensions".
There are five declensions of nouns, but I often forgo the technical terms for color-coding them. It makes it a little easier, I think, so we'll try it out and see how it goes.

yeah you lost me around word ending 1. word ending 2.... do you have a better way of explaining it?  

Lillian Ginn

Tc Frorleivus Almus Ph
Captain

6,325 Points
  • Statustician 100
  • Hygienic 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 4:48 pm
Lillian Ginn
So, what about them? In Latin, there is this somewhat complicated idea called "declension". At first, this may seem confusing, but try to bear with me. Latin is what they call a "fusional language", which means that we attach affixes to the base form of a word to express different meanings. That's really just a fancy-shmancy way to express this idea: (base of the word that doesn't change)(ending here that does change). Word - ending 1. Word - ending 2. Ending 1 will mean, let's say, subject. Ending 2 will mean object. That's all it is. Depending on the way a word ends and its gender will sort of determine in what way the endings are affected. With that in mind, there are groups of nouns in Latin that have the same or similar endings and/or will conjugate similar to each other. These groups of similarly conjugating nouns are called "declensions".
There are five declensions of nouns, but I often forgo the technical terms for color-coding them. It makes it a little easier, I think, so we'll try it out and see how it goes.

yeah you lost me around word ending 1. word ending 2.... do you have a better way of explaining it?

The best way I can think to explain it is to outright tell you a word. "Bonus" in Latin means "good". The base is "bon-" and "-us" is the ending. "Bon" remains the same while "us" may change. The "us" means masculine, so "bonus" means "good" and is masculine. Bon-us. Bon-a means feminine "good". Bon-um means neuter "good". See? Different word endings mean different things, but the word still retains its meaning.  
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 4:54 pm
Shizuka Mizu
Lillian Ginn

The best way I can think to explain it is to outright tell you a word. "Bonus" in Latin means "good". The base is "bon-" and "-us" is the ending. "Bon" remains the same while "us" may change. The "us" means masculine, so "bonus" means "good" and is masculine. Bon-us. Bon-a means feminine "good". Bon-um means neuter "good". See? Different word endings mean different things, but the word still retains its meaning.

I think I get it.Like Brava. Nina...  

Lillian Ginn

Tc Frorleivus Almus Ph
Captain

6,325 Points
  • Statustician 100
  • Hygienic 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 4:57 pm
Lillian Ginn
Shizuka Mizu
Lillian Ginn

Very good! See, no reason to be scared. =3  
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 5:02 pm
Shizuka Mizu
Lillian Ginn
Shizuka Mizu
Lillian Ginn

Very good! See, no reason to be scared. =3

Thanks. now i am on blue nouns. Terra is one of my favorite words... i am a gone with the wind freak!  

Lillian Ginn

Glitoris

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:38 pm
Ah, hello! This is Ivan, just a different account. I'm transferring most guilds to this account.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 3:15 pm
Shizuka Mizu
[...] if you are reading from my Latin thread, then post your name here. Tell me who you are and why you're learning Latin. Any other information you wish to provide is also welcomed. [...]

Sera here (just joined the guild a few hours ago).
I've sung some Latin pieces in the choirs of the schools I've attended, so I know a bit of Ecclesiastical Latin, but I'd like to learn Classical Latin all the same because:
+ I hear that some of the great authors have based their works off classics that are in Latin, so learning Latin will remove the headache I currently get while trying to decipher what's being said;
+ there are many words in the Romance languages that have Latin roots, and since I'm training to teach French, some of this knowledge might help;
+ I know I'll have fun doing so. biggrin  

Seraphine Holodore

Amateur Saint

14,400 Points
  • Befriended 100
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Prayer Circle 200

Tc Frorleivus Almus Ph
Captain

6,325 Points
  • Statustician 100
  • Hygienic 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:49 am
Seraphine Lunaire
Shizuka Mizu
[...] if you are reading from my Latin thread, then post your name here. Tell me who you are and why you're learning Latin. Any other information you wish to provide is also welcomed. [...]

Sera here (just joined the guild a few hours ago).
I've sung some Latin pieces in the choirs of the schools I've attended, so I know a bit of Ecclesiastical Latin, but I'd like to learn Classical Latin all the same because:
+ I hear that some of the great authors have based their works off classics that are in Latin, so learning Latin will remove the headache I currently get while trying to decipher what's being said;
+ there are many words in the Romance languages that have Latin roots, and since I'm training to teach French, some of this knowledge might help;
+ I know I'll have fun doing so. biggrin

Magnifica!~ I hope that you'll get from this what you desire.  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:25 am
Hello. I might be interested in learning Latin together with Spanish at sometime. But if talking about expertise. I have no idea about grammar at all dramallama I just know Pater Noster and Salver Regina.  

MrJamesXOXO

Lonely Prophet

6,350 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • First step to fame 200

Tc Frorleivus Almus Ph
Captain

6,325 Points
  • Statustician 100
  • Hygienic 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:25 am
Lady Maygumi
Hello. I might be interested in learning Latin together with Spanish at sometime. But if talking about expertise. I have no idea about grammar at all dramallama I just know Pater Noster and Salver Regina.

Hello! The learning threads are there, but I planned to redo them in a fashion that isn't so rushed. You can still attempt to go over them yourself, if you want, but I wouldn't blame you if you found them hard to follow.
That said, someday when I have a little more free time, I'll get to it. Latin students are always appreciated!

Language Learning - Europe

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff