Welcome to Gaia! ::

AND IN THE NAME OF AWESOME I WILL PUNISH YOU!!!

Back to Guilds

A guild for Sailor Moon fans that have experienced all of the mega-series! 

Tags: Sailor Moon, Bishoujo Senshi, Sera Myu, Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon, Naoko Takeuchi 

Reply Sailor Moon Anime & Manga
[Rant] Filler

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Filler is...
  FTW! :D
  NO! >:U
View Results

Kawaisa Sailor Moon
Captain

Blessed Lover

10,800 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Signature Look 250
  • Somebody Likes You 100
PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:29 pm
Is filler a good or a bad thing? On the bright side filler adds monsters-of-the-day that usually are a treat while we get to see cute characters-of-the-day that would otherwise NEVER be seen. Filler can build character personality and make a certain character or characters seem more defined and appealing. It can also be used for comic relief or other plot devices.

On the down side the characters they introduce never usually get much more recognition, aren't usually well explained, and sometimes can get repetetive and feel like they're slowing down the story. Sometimes it just dillutes character personality, showing little defining characteristics. Other times it's so boring that you may just skip over the entire episode, since it has nothing to donate to plot or any valuable subject.

What's your stance?  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:37 pm
Of course I'm referring specifically to Sailor Moon filler here, but of course SM is far from the only offending anime. stressed  

Kawaisa Sailor Moon
Captain

Blessed Lover

10,800 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Signature Look 250
  • Somebody Likes You 100

Salem Jones

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:21 am
Tough to say, filler can be good, and filler can be soul crushing, time wasting, can-you-please-continue-the-story-already-and-stop-stretching-out-this-manga/anime-so-you-can-make-more-money-with-more-episodes/chapters.
I can see if a manga or anime needs many episodes to tell it's sprawling story, but sometimes it's just useless filler that drives the viewer nuts... I would say a good anime or manga can provide a decent amount of filler that not only is entertaining, but might actually make the story move along, even if it's only the heroine and hero coming closer together.
If anything I'd say a good amount would be one or two filler episodes, followed by a regular episode, and then or or two filler episodes again and so on.
But filler is the reason I can't watch Naruto or Bleach, or read any of awesome Rumiko Takahashi's awesome mangas... they just go on forever it seems... 30+ volumes of any manga just seems crazy. And the hours it would take to to watch 200+ episodes, and still be interested...  
Sailor Moon Anime & Manga

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games