O Amor das Trevas
(Portuguese)
(The Love Of Darkness)
Once upon a time there was a man who was born into darkness. He wasn't Lucifer and nor was he bad and he had no hatred for the light. But at the same time neither Demons nor Angels wanted anything to do with him. This man was there when darkness itself was created and he alone stands within the purest of it.
This man is called Trevas. With blood red hair and eyes as dark as the purest darkness… he has never had a reason to hide. Although he knows both God and Lucifer exists he doesn't care for either of them. God did create him but since the holy one has never spoken to Trevas the two have ceased to have anything more to do with each other.
It didn't take long for humans to forget the legends of his darkness and the smooth liquid his voice seems to hold while talking to you from within a darkness that seems to scare even Satan. Trevas is not interested in light and therefore has never been touched by it, and he also does not care for Earth which is just pure grey at times. The only thing he cares for is a place devoid of light which only holds the simplest of thoughts and the blankest of emotions.
For some reason… one day Trevas was curious. He saw something on Earth which he wanted to take for himself. This thing that he had found was a human girl. She was not pure, in fact it could easily be said that there was nothing pure about her, although she is not evil. There is no cruelty within her and yet she is not kind either. She is simply tainted grey. Completely grey through and through; there has never been a human like this.
He didn't pursue her immediately. The girl was still young when he first discovered her and yet he did do something which was odd even for him. The outcast of the good and evil began to hone in on his sense of self. It was odd because he never once cared. There was nothing about himself he was remotely interested in until now. Soon he discovered that he is powerful. It was on a different level and scale from Lucifer and God. He didn't have powers of healing and creation, nor did he have powers of abuse and destruction.
Trevas is able to move and change things, large scale things as well. If he wanted to he could change the shape of the sun. Slowly he began to use his own abilities and realized that he could use them to go to Earth in order to pursue the girl he had discovered. He could even bring her to him. In the end he uncovered the ability to change the way human beings think and desire. He could manipulate even this, but first he must earn their acceptance. If the person accepts him then he is able to use this part of his power.
Unfortunately the person he discovered this with died. Trevas had used this ability of his to an extreme to discover as much as possible leading to the young man's death. The power was then kept in reserve for later use as he did his best to make amends for what he had done during his excitement. After a few years something horrible began to occur. Trevas began to feel emotions. True human emotions began to make their way into him. Lucifer and God had discovered these emotions quickly and immediately put them to use, while it took Trevas from the beginning of darkness until now to discover it.
He didn't try to talk to either powers and instead began to look into himself to find the answers as well. When he got tired of this he looked over at Earth and discovered that she had become an adult. Putting on all black clothes that fit him perfectly he added on a black trench coat before going down to her world to visit. Trevas had finally discovered that this is love.
It was night and she was outside walking home. With a short skirt on and a cigarette in her mouth she was walking slowly with the clattering of her tall boots on the concrete. Her long trench coat blew back in the wind as she looked up at him. With long straight blond hair and penetrating eyes the same milky color of chocolate; they scanned over him looking skeptical and soon narrowed in annoyance. He just stared at her taking in the girl he has never gotten to see face to face.
"What do you want?" She asked coldly running a hand through her hair. It was obvious she was getting bored of the staring competition. He just smiled lightly and looked over his shoulder as though looking for the guy who thought this was funny.
"I want you." Trevas informed her and watched the girl take out the cigarette and toss it on the ground before stepping on it. Turning around she walked away.
"Sorry but I don't accept strangers." She called back and continued to just walk away like she didn't give a damn in the first place. It was likely that she didn't, but at the same time he couldn't just let her get away that easy. In moments he was in front of her.
"Tell me something that you want. It can be anything at all… and if I can get it for you then please come to the darkness with me." He whispered taking her hand and placing it against his lips. He had seen this happen to girls on Earth and they always seemed to give a positive reaction. The girl before him just looked at him with wide curious eyes that were laced with suspicion.
"If you can find my favorite star and move it over to the two stars that remind most children of Peter Pan then I'll go to this darkness of yours." She said with a shrug making the man smirk. Moving the star would be easy enough but now all he needs to do is discover what this Peter Pan is and what is has to do with stars. Once that is done he needs to move the star she's been staring at since she was six.
"Consider it done." He whispered in her ear before fading into the darkness of the night. She stared with wide eyes then they softened slightly before she lighted another cigarette. Within the darkness he grew restless with anticipation. He thought he would never use his abilities for something such as this and yet here is he, planning to move a single star to a place where it doesn't belong in order to prove his love.
The only problem with this is that he has no idea what love truly is. The few things he knows about it are things so trivial and mundane that they have no business being mentioned, and the only way he learned about these were watching God and Lucifer. Although they both treated women completely different… the two extremes were just that, extreme. By the time the night was done he had moved the star just for her.
He laid there in the purest of darkness and tried to regain his strength. This was the first time he had ever gotten the feeling of exhaustion and yet it could never be compared to the exhaustion God had after creating the universe after only seven days. There is no account where Lucifer had to use nearly as much strength so it is possible that he has never felt exhausted before. Then again, the time when he was thrown out of heaven could possibly count as something that may cause him to become tired.
Trevas searched for her the next night, determined to tell her what he had done, and to his minor surprise she was at the same street as the night before with yet another cigarette in her mouth. He stared at her for a moment before coming out of the darkness and into the light. For the first time he actually considered the fact that he's no longer in the darkness. Last time was his first but for some reason he hardly noticed the change at all.
This time with her standing before him looking so frail he was stuck thinking of the light that surrounds him. It didn't hurt nor did it feel weird. Instead he was filled with the odd sense of familiarity and kindness along with hope that always came with things from the lighter side. The grey areas tend to reveal the true wicked within everything while showing the specks of light.
"My name is Luz Anjo. Some people call me Liz if they get to know me but I prefer Luz. It's a bit more unique. What's your name?" She asked looking him over while inhaling. Trevas stared at her for a moment and wondered where the name Luz came from. The word itself sent shivers down his spine as though it meant a bit more than the blow off way she said it. Looking up at the sky she smiled a light yet sly one showing she wasn't all that surprised that he could do it.
"My name is Trevas, just Trevas." He said softly and held out a hand to her. Luz looked down at it then into his eyes. That's when she stared at him with something that hurt. She looked at him as though he meant nothing to the world or to her. There was absolutely no reason for his existence and she knew it. Those eyes were cruel and tried to kill him off completely.
In that instant she took his hand and soon they were in his realm. Taking a deep breath Luz began to look at the world around her and soon she was smiling. It was as though she has been waiting for a place like this for a long time. Trevas took her hand tightly in his own and for some reason he was scared. He doesn't have much to show and once she gets used to the darkness will she want to leave?
"You can't leave." Trevas informed her before he could stop himself. He's never had to hold back or control himself before so this was a bit much in and of itself, yet he didn't want her to go. This man has been watching her since she was a small child and never wanted to lose her ever since. It wasn't like he truly loved her or anything like that, but it was more like this was his first real time interacting with someone. It's only natural that he'd want to experiment.
The young man whom he killed… well he didn't take advantage of the situation with practicing small talk. In fact there was hardly any speaking at all. Trevas just couldn't bring it in himself to care. Luz looked at him and shook her head with a sly smile; it was obvious that this just wasn't going to happen.
"I can't. I've got someone I need to protect and so I'm unable to live in the darkness with you." She informed him with a shrug acting as nonchalant as someone in her situation could. Luz is young, just turned twenty a few weeks ago and is still trying to find a place in the world when she's as grey as a person can get. By no means is she boring she's just simply in the grey area more than anything else. You can do good things for a bad reason and bad things for a good reason; this is just the way the world is.
"Who do you want to protect?" Trevas asked placing a hand in her own. Luz just looked over at Earth and smiled softly as though seeing something he would never be able to see. Her brown eyes scanned over his confused form before turning around so that her back is to him.
"His name is Absolvido and he's only ten years old." She said with a shrug as she began to stretch her arms a bit. Turning around she grinned. "I've been taking care of him since my mom got knocked up. He's the only thing keeping me at home, and the only one keeping me from staying here in the darkness. I don't think it's a bad thing, having someone like him I want to stay with. My brother needs me and until he needs me no more, I cannot stay with you."
Trevas didn't try to think of a way to get her to stop caring for her brother, nor did he try to figure out just how he will attempt to become the most important thing to her. Instead he decided that she simply won't leave. He'll keep her here until she changes her mind. She won't age within this darkness and will never be able to escape without his permission.
He simply decided that since she needs his permission to leave he will never grant it. I mean, he finally got what it is he wanted, why would he let go of that now? Love is still something he does not quite understand but Trevas didn't care because of the fact that he has forever to discover everything he does not know or understand. He didn't know that he had caught both Lucifer and God's attention because of what he had done.
"Can I go home now?" She asked as Trevas closed his eyes in slight happiness. He knew something was about to happen and that her reaction wouldn't be good but at the same time he wanted her to stay here and this is all that matters. He never once stopped to consider his own emotions, because in the eight years of him discovering his own thoughts and emotions he still has yet to discover that others have this as well.
"No." He informed her blankly and began to rest feeling tired from everything he has done for her. His powers felt starved as though he's used them dry. She stared at him with a frozen smile on her face, as though waiting for the punch line or for him to begin laughing claiming that was just a joke. Instead he ignored her, content with the fact that she will be his forever.
Luz immediately turned around and ran searching for an exit. She knew he would have gone after her if it meant she would find a way out but her body wouldn't let her stop for anything. All she could think about was Absolvido. Today he decided that since people keep making fun of his name he'll just call himself Vido. It was so cute how he told her today. Running into her room with a huge grin on his face he told her that he found a much easier thing to call himself.
She had just smiled slyly and nodded calling him by his new name. Her younger brother had blushed and grinned accepting his name full heartedly, but she didn't know that that would be their last time together. Luz just didn't know that Vido would have to grow up on his own. She turned around and glared at Trevas who was waiting behind her. He just stared and waited for her to do something more interesting than scream and demand to leave.
"Are you satisfied now? You are unable to leave, it'd be best for you to stop all this whining and just accept the fact that you now belong to me." He stated and held out a pale hand toward her. Luz refused to take it and instead, lay down and watch over her brother. Trevas stayed for a moment longer then turned around and began to leave, no longer caring for his experiment. If she no longer interests him then she may be able to go free but for a girl like Luz this would be impossible.
She didn't cry. In the hours she spent with him, the woman never shed a single tear and refused to speak with the demon who had taken her in. Of course Trevas isn't a demon, even if what exactly he is isn't certain. He's only been able to discover one emotion out of all the emotions that could possibly be hidden within him.
"Why do you refuse to go near the light?" Luz asked in annoyance. It was obvious that she was done with this place but for some reason she wasn't like the average human. Living within the darkness for such a long time with no form of entertainment would make several humans possibly go insane. If only because of the technological advances that keep humans constantly busy with little trinkets that don't mater.
"I never refused to go near the light." Trevas said quickly in anger and rage. For an hour he paused and began to think about these new feelings. They entertained him and brought new thoughts into his mind as he began to think about other emotions he could have. It was confusing to say the least and so he was stuck between a rock and a hard place attempting to understand.
God had angels and humans to help him understand and overcome the emotions that weighed him down. Lucifer had follows that made him feel as though all his negative emotions were correct and so he learned how to harness them for evil and cruelty. However, Trevas had no idea what to do with these emotions that kept coming over him. He doesn't have anyone to really share them with and frankly no one cares about him. He may have sparked the higher powers interest but nothing more.
"Why did you ask about the light?" Trevas asked continuing the conversation. It took Luz a moment to remember what the heck he was talking about before standing up and facing him. Her form was still laid back and confident like it always appears to be.
But at the same time she seemed a bit on edge as though this answer really mattered to her.
"I wanted to know if you were good or bad, evil or kind, an angel or a demon." She confessed looking a bit uneasy and upset. Her eyebrows were furrowed slightly and her posture seemed to become a bit more rigid rather than the normally calm and stable one. Glaring she turned away waiting for Trevas's answer and yet not wanting to see his face when he answers. The man born into darkness just smiled slyly and ran a hand through his hair.
"I'm not good or bad, evil or kind, an angel or a demon. I am simply me. A man named Trevas. The angels fear me thinking I'm evil; the demons become nervous since the purest of darkness isn't something they can like. I'm just the only one out of the great three that can stand within the purest of darkness and be okay." He informed her watching as her shoulders relaxed and posture appeared more normal and routine rather than the nervous fear she had before.
"This is the purest darkness? Why can I stand here and be okay as well?" Luz asked looking a bit scared. She has never been normal but at the same time she has never noticed this. Vido liked to point it out often but his big sister just didn't care because in the end it didn't matter and it's not like she believed it. Right now, she's scared. If humans can go insane and die in a place like this then she needs to know now because she didn't come here to die.
Why did Luz come here?
"My experiment lasted a few months before he lost it but there were signs in the beginning. He had odd habits that left me curious as to whether or not humans have brains and can understand simple things but quickly I found out it was the darkness. You could be immune to this with how grey your soul is… or perhaps the effects are taking a while before changing you." Trevas informed her honestly with no censorship whatsoever. Since he was born in this place there was likely to never be any effects at all with him, or perhaps they have been going on for a long time.
Soon he took a deep breath and closed his eyes tightly. "Ugh I hate this feeling. It's making me want to hit something, perhaps you or maybe anything I can find that's solid." He grumbled and collapsed onto the ground. He does this, every time he discovers a new emotion something happens within him and he is unable to hold his own any longer. Trevas is just too full of a single new emotion that he falls to the ground in unconsciousness to wait out the effects of it all. Luz stared at him with wide eyes and soon was beside him.
She doesn't care for him. She has almost no emotions for this man whatsoever. Curiosity is there and rage but after that she simply doesn't care for him at all. Trevas is yet another man attempting to use her, and Luz doesn't get used very easily. She sat beside him and waited for the man to get up, and he did a day later. The girl did realize something that she didn't notice before. In the purest of darkness she does not require food.
"You waited beside me?" He asked softly wondering why but not quite able to. Anger took a while before it hurt him to this point but it still hurt and it made him want to hurt others. He was just mad at everything. God made him and then abandoned him within the darkness and Lucifer never cared about him at all, if he did then he never showed it. No one noticed him or cared for him. Needless to say, after a while this can affect you somewhat.
"You're my only way out of here." Luz muttered with a shrug looking at him with some anger in her face but at the same time relief was there as well. She was by no means falling in love with him but if Trevas dies then so does her chances of leaving. "What happened to you?" She questioned him. He smiled softly then placed a hand over his face.
"I had a fight within myself. My true being hates emotions and so whenever I discover I have one or a new one then I'm stuck fighting it off until my logical side has the most dominance again, as you can see it's exhausting." He sighed and then stood up within the darkness noticing someone's presence coming close to them. Glancing up in surprise Luz noticed a man in all black with dark blond hair and ice blue eyes that seemed to hold all the cold of the world within them.
"You are Trevas, I presume?" The man asked, his voice sounding like knives. Trevas stood up and nodded ready to discover who this man is. Soon he saw how uncomfortable the demon before him became. "Why do you live in such filth?" He grumbled with a light tremble before glaring and taking a deep breath and staring up at him ready to speak about what he came here for. "I could use you in hell. There's a war going on, not sure if you noticed. It's God versus Me and so I would like you to join my side, and of course you can take your pet." Lucifer shrugged.
Trevas didn't even think over the deal. "Go away; this darkness will swallow you whole if you remain any longer." He said letting his red hair cover his face slightly. Lucifer scowled looking incredibly mad as though this was a large offence of some kind. "You have never spoken to me until now and I'm your elder. If you don't give the proper respect then I will be forced to dispose of you." Trevas stated beginning to feel annoyance creep through him. Luz stood up and stared at Lucifer as though he was something to be feared.
"I never spoke to you because I never cared. If you ever did something interesting or perhaps showed your powers earlier then I would have at least paid a visit." The arrogant lord of lies spat looking insulted. Turning around the man left but what was left behind by him was a simple black rose with thorns on it. Trevas knew without touching it that those thorns were sharper than any blade and advised Luz not to go anywhere near it. In moments the man changed the rose to where it was black with a dull stem that had no thorns.
"He was a b*****d, wasn't he?" Trevas asked with a slight smile. Luz nodded and touched the sleeve of his arm not wanting to show her fear and anger at what had just happened. It was obvious there was something wrong, but it was impossible for Trevas to figure it out. He's still unable to understand her emotions.
"Yes, yes he was." Luz said softly and took out her cigarettes but to her anger they were all gone. "What happened to my smokes?!" She demanded making Trevas glance over at her in mild curiosity. He wanted to know what her need for the cigarettes were but at the same time he really didn't care. It didn't matter to him at all.
"Why do you rely on them?" He asked not caring. Trevas was a bit curious if only because he wanted to see if it was something he should try. Typically he has never cared about anything from earth but the person he loves likes it so it seems like a good idea to at least try it.
"They can kill you," Is all Luz said in answer to his question. That's how it went for the next month. They rarely talked and yet when they did neither said anything worth mentioning. It was as though they were both scared of what the other could say and therefore muted themselves.
When Trevas had the feeling of fear for the first time… he didn't faint, but he did cry. Luz wasn't around at the time and he was stuck feeling something he wasn't used to feeling. It took him thirty minutes to discover that he doesn't like this feeling. Then it took him another eight to get another emotion. This emotion was bravery.
He liked this one.
Standing beside her Trevas was at peace with his emotions he was slowly acquiring. In another month he had a new emotion, happiness. True happiness was something he was beginning to acquire as he noticed Luz warming up to him. Slowly, slower than anything, she began to warm up to him.
Luz is always standing straight and tall looking as though nothing can faze her. It made Trevas nervous but okay. He loves her but she's stronger than him, much stronger. He worked on his strength everyday for a year and yet she was still more used to her emotions than he was. This caused jealousy to emerge.
"You are too good at being human." Trevas informed her with a glare causing Luz to look at him with a sly smile before shrugging. It made him glare and turn away. He wanted to kill her. There's no reason for him to think this… well there shouldn't be, and that's what he kept telling himself but the fact remained that he did want to kill her. Does love do this to people? You get jealous and then get the urge to kill? How are there so many humans if that's the case?
Trevas asked himself these questions repeatedly and soon… He wondered if he even loved her. His hatred was a red hot flame. The day he realized how much he hates Luz… to the point he can't even look at her without wanting her death… that's the day God paid him a visit with Michael.
"Hello Trevas." God said simply looking at the thing he had created. The redhead merely nodded while Luz looked at God in shock. He held out his hand and in a matter of seconds she was on the ground crying. "I'm going to set you free. It's been eight years and now… I think it's about time you go home to Vido."
"What are you talking about?!" Trevas demanded glaring at God then glaring at Luz. His hatred lashed out likely angry waves striking at anyone and everyone.
"You have done wrong here and it's obvious that no one can truly live within the purest of darkness without issues arising. You are going to die Trevas. I can't afford to let you live any longer." God said this in his almighty voice. Soon the man born into darkness was on the ground as well and fading into grey. Specks of his form fell from his body like flecks of paint.
"Why… why are you killing me?" He asked softly staring up at God who had created him.
"Even God has experiments." Luz whispered harshly before vanishing into the world of humans. I looked up at him and smiled softly, holding out my hand.
"That beautiful white mask of yours needs to be destroyed… that was a cruel trick you played on me." Trevas choked out with a laugh.
"It wasn't a trick. You were just a failed test, and I'd rather humans not discover my careless mistakes."
That's when Trevas died and God left, the purest darkness was no more and just became darkness… nothing pure about it.
Darkness is evil.
Light is good.
There was never any room for the purest of darkness.