Welcome to Gaia! ::

Greek Mythology Guild

Back to Guilds

A guild for lovers of Greek Mythology in all its rich variety. 

Tags: Greek, Greece, Classical, Mythology, Myth 

Reply Greek Mythology Guild
Monster pets! Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Philo_Clio

4,900 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Explorer 0
PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:09 pm
Greek myth is full of mytherious monsters and creatures that would most likey kill you as soon as look at you... but imagine if you could have one as a pet?!

Id like the have a sphinx... i mean so long as you keep it away from any cliffs... and men, if its female (which greek sphinxs always where), it'd be so much fun to have around at social events!
A flying horse might be fun too!
or a harpie... man the people Id tear apart...

What beastie do you wantie?  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:18 pm
does it have to be from greek myth?  

Chinese Walrus

kiwisbabydoll

6,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Window Shopper 100
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:35 pm
id totally go 4 a pegasus...flying horses...come on!

(but my first choice would b a dragon....except thyre not in any greek or roman myths tht i know of)  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:25 am
Kiwi2345
id totally go 4 a pegasus...flying horses...come on!

(but my first choice would b a dragon....except thyre not in any greek or roman myths tht i know of)

Actually, the word dragon itself COMES from Greek Mythology (Drakon, feminine Drakaina). Dragons in other mythologies are actually giant snakes or combinations of various animals, like the Chinese Dragon, and we only call them dragons because of their resemblance to the Drakones of Greece.

Classical mythology featured a great deal of dragons. Some of the most notable were Ladon, guardian of Hera's Orchards; Python, the drakon of the Delphian temple; and Hydra, the nine-headed drakaina of the Lernaean swamp.

You'll also notice a tendency in adaptions of mythology to multiply monsters which are actually singular beings. Pegasos was the name of the winged horse himself, son of Medousa and Poseidon - not the name of a species of winged horses. One might also mention Pegasos' twin brother Khrysaor, who was either a man or a winged boar.

Sphinx (or Phix) was also a proper name in Greek Mythology (although the Greeks borrowed the imagery of the sphinx from egyptian motifs). Sphinx was a daughter of Ekhidna, who dwelled in Thebes and murdered passersby who could not answer her riddles, until Oedipus drove her to suicide by answering correctly.

There were also only two harpies, Aello and Okypete. They were winged storm goddesses, the daughters of Thaumas and Elektra and sisters to the rainbow goddesses Iris and Arke.  

Akherontis
Captain

Teenage Hades

Dapper Shapeshifter

8,950 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Heckler 50
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:34 pm
dragons are in almost all mythology which i think proves they once existed/ still exist.

i would want either a dragon, or a cerebrus.  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:48 am
Teenage Hades
dragons are in almost all mythology which i think proves they once existed/ still exist.

Not really. Giant snakes are in a lot of myths. Etiologically speaking, snakes have been an age-long threat to mankind (along with wolves), and so it's natural that many cultures feature snakes as symbols of corruption, seduction and evil (compare the serpent in the Garden of Eden to the Greek Drakon Ladon of the Hesperian Garden). By convention, we tend to call various snake monsters from different cultures 'dragons', but most of them have little to do with each other. Norse 'dragons' (Dreki) like Jormungandr and Fafnir are perhaps the closest comparisons to Greek Drakones. Celtic 'dragons' (Wyrms) were not winged, simply serpentine creatures living in swamps and lakes. Chinese dragons (Long) only superficially resemble European ones, but in fact are comprised of completely different animal traits and have entirely distinct mythological functions. It would be a far stretch to assume that the 'Plumed Serpent' of Mesoamerican myth or the 'Naga' of Vedic Indian myth are dragons. There weren't any 'dragon' creatures in Mesapotamian or Polynesian mythologies, and there were DEFINITELY no dragons in Egyptian mythology, unless you count the serpent demon Apep (eat your heart out, Yu-Gi-Oh!).  

Akherontis
Captain

Teenage Hades

Dapper Shapeshifter

8,950 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Heckler 50
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 6:25 am
Akherontis
Teenage Hades

Not really. Giant snakes are in a lot of myths. Etiologically speaking, snakes have been an age-long threat to mankind (along with wolves), and so it's natural that many cultures feature snakes as symbols of corruption, seduction and evil (compare the serpent in the Garden of Eden to the Greek Drakon Ladon of the Hesperian Garden). By convention, we tend to call various snake monsters from different cultures 'dragons', but most of them have little to do with each other. Norse 'dragons' (Dreki) like Jormungandr and Fafnir are perhaps the closest comparisons to Greek Drakones. Celtic 'dragons' (Wyrms) were not winged, simply serpentine creatures living in swamps and lakes. Chinese dragons (Long) only superficially resemble European ones, but in fact are comprised of completely different animal traits and have entirely distinct mythological functions. It would be a far stretch to assume that the 'Plumed Serpent' of Mesoamerican myth or the 'Naga' of Vedic Indian myth are dragons. There weren't any 'dragon' creatures in Mesapotamian or Polynesian mythologies, and there were DEFINITELY no dragons in Egyptian mythology, unless you count the serpent demon Apep (eat your heart out, Yu-Gi-Oh!).

i said almost, and i still believe they once existed. i also believe that unicorns live deep in dense forests, that we have a hard time getting to.  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:11 pm
A hydra! Or a pegasus (though I would much rather have a unicorn. wink )  

so long big bowser

olddaysgone

3,800 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:57 pm
Teenage Hades
Akherontis
Teenage Hades

i said almost, and i still believe they once existed. i also believe that unicorns live deep in dense forests, that we have a hard time getting to.

actually unicorns are real!
they discovered on not too long ago, but it wasn't all rainbows, and maginificent manes, It was a deer with one freaking horn growing through its forehead. HOW SWEET IS THAT!?  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 5:57 am
Teenage Hades
Akherontis
Teenage Hades

I think so too. I believe in all those fantasical creatures. I just know they are out there, but we haven't got to them yet because they don't show themselves to us. They have seen the distruction we humans cause and have gone into hiding. Did you ever think the mistery of the Bermuda Triangle would have anything to do with it?  

Night_of_the_Phoenix

Conservative Genius

5,650 Points
  • Befriended 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Autobiographer 200

Night_of_the_Phoenix

Conservative Genius

5,650 Points
  • Befriended 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Autobiographer 200
PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 5:59 am
I'd go for a pegasus anyday. Monster...? Lemme see... the Sphinx! and maybe a Drakon. mrgreen  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:34 am
I would definately want a pegasus. Cerberus would be a cool pet too. Oh, or a siren.  

HorsesOfTheNight

Melios the Hoplite

10,900 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 1:36 pm
Akherontis
Teenage Hades

Wow... but plenty of k-9 gods(and/or deities, godlike creatures, or atleast half k-9) huh?  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:35 pm
saga576
Teenage Hades
Akherontis
Teenage Hades

actually unicorns are real!
they discovered on not too long ago, but it wasn't all rainbows, and maginificent manes, It was a deer with one freaking horn growing through its forehead. HOW SWEET IS THAT!?

i remember that!!! i saw a video on it. i would have a hippocampus (horse-fishie) or a pegasus, even tho im afraid of heights.  

Aquaticluv

seyer12

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:33 am
come on,who wouldn't want the hydra hercules fought?it's totally awesome!.that would be mu pick  
Greek Mythology Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff