Welcome to Gaia! ::

Greek Mythology Guild

Back to Guilds

A guild for lovers of Greek Mythology in all its rich variety. 

Tags: Greek, Greece, Classical, Mythology, Myth 

Reply Greek Mythology Guild
Why in the World.... Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Javier Cross

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:59 pm
Akherontis
Javier Cross
I thought Ares was said to be a God of Courage[whose particular sphere overlaps with either Athena or Hercules, though!] as well as slaughter.

If Ares was supposed to be driven off by gifted mortal fighters, soldiers, and warriors, then wouldn't it be a given for him to make them work for it?

Why do i generally suspected that he might not be a coward after all, if he killed a child of Poseidon who was a rapist who tried to rape his daughter, a demi-goddess of war?

He was...capricious, one might say. On one hand, he was indeed the god of courage, manliness, machismo and reckless audacity. But he was also the god of cowardliness, retreat, and war crimes, especially noticeable by the fact that his sister-consort is Horror and his sons are Terror and Dread.

Nonetheless, i recalled that Ares wasn't necessarily the creator of War itself, but instead was born from and lived off of War and conflict.
Was Enyo born from Horror, or did she create it?
Phobos and Deimos, i wonder if the two created terror and dread, or if they were born from those two, instead, or perhaps it might be both, when they came out of Aphrodite's golden womb?  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:06 pm
That's a matter of debate. It's quite certain that war itself far predated Athena (not Ares, as he was not strictly the god of war), and fear definitely predated Phobos and Deimos. It can be assumed that gods come to embody impersonal forces as they are born. The exception being the primordial Daimones like Sleep, Strife and Truth, who seem to have brought their personified forces into the world as they were born.  

Akherontis
Captain

Javier Cross

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:14 pm
Akherontis
That's a matter of debate. It's quite certain that war itself far predated Athena (not Ares, as he was not strictly the god of war), and fear definitely predated Phobos and Deimos. It can be assumed that gods come to embody impersonal forces as they are born. The exception being the primordial Daimones like Sleep, Strife and Truth, who seem to have brought their personified forces into the world as they were born.

So did love really exist before Aphrodite came to embody that, even?
This makes sense, and yet it doesn't make sense.  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:21 pm
Love in its basest sense arose from the elder Eros/Phanes/Thesis/Protogonus, the first born god, embodiment of creation and propagation.  

Akherontis
Captain

Javier Cross

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:22 pm
Akherontis
Love in its basest sense arose from the elder Eros/Phanes/Thesis/Protogonus, the first born god, embodiment of creation and propagation.

So there could be more than one Eros, as its said that there's more than one Aphrodite, right?  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:36 pm
Unlikely. That was a stretch even by mythical accounts.

There are two beings called Eros, but they are as different as the two beings called Eris.

The primordial Eros (I prefer to call him Phanes or Thesis) was a hermaphroditic, spiritual entity, invisible to the gods and presiding over the impulse to create and sire progeny. The later Eros was a winged youngster with a penchant for mischief, who inflamed desire and love-sickness in mortals howsoever his whim directed him.

Likewise, the elder Eris, daughter of Night and Darkness, is to be distinguished from Enyo, the younger Eris, daughter of Zeus and Hera, who is far more bloodthirsty and less beneficial to mankind.  

Akherontis
Captain

Javier Cross

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:02 pm
Akherontis

There are two beings called Eros, but they are as different as the two beings called Eris.

The primordial Eros (I prefer to call him Phanes or Thesis) was a hermaphroditic, spiritual entity, invisible to the gods and presiding over the impulse to create and sire progeny. The later Eros was a winged youngster with a penchant for mischief, who inflamed desire and love-sickness in mortals howsoever his whim directed him.

Likewise, the elder Eris, daughter of Night and Darkness, is to be distinguished from Enyo, the younger Eris, daughter of Zeus and Hera, who is far more bloodthirsty and less beneficial to mankind.

Why do people get both Eris and Enyo mixed up, despite the fact that they are technically war goddesses, again?  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 2:05 am
Javier Cross
Akherontis

Why do people get both Eris and Enyo mixed up, despite the fact that they are technically war goddesses, again?

Because Homer seems to have identified the two with each other in his own works. Even after pouring over every source I could find, I still can't figure out whether Eris or Enyo was the one who threw the golden apple into the wedding hall of Peleus and Thetis.  

Akherontis
Captain

Javier Cross

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 2:26 am
Akherontis
Javier Cross
Akherontis

Because Homer seems to have identified the two with each other in his own works. Even after pouring over every source I could find, I still can't figure out whether Eris or Enyo was the one who threw the golden apple into the wedding hall of Peleus and Thetis.

This is really bad.
That's one of the only technical problems with ancient lore that seems to be there lately.
How long has this problem been going on?  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 2:28 am
Javier Cross
Akherontis
Javier Cross
Akherontis

This is really bad.
That's one of the only technical problems with ancient lore that seems to be there lately.

Erm, 4000 years, I guess. I'm not sure what the fact of the matter is.  

Akherontis
Captain

Javier Cross

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 2:36 am
Akherontis
Javier Cross
Akherontis
Javier Cross
Akherontis

This is really bad.

Erm, 4000 years, I guess. I'm not sure what the fact of the matter is.

You mean we can't even tell if it was Enyo or Eris who did the deed of the Apple, and somehow set off Zeus' plan that wounded up backfiring in the end?[I dare not mention all the reasons why, here, because i already mentioned them earlier!]  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 2:39 am
Javier Cross

You mean we can't even tell if it was Enyo or Eris who did the deed of the Apple, and somehow set off Zeus' plan that wounded up backfiring in the end?[I dare not mention all the reasons why, here, because i already mentioned them earlier!]

Well, it's more likely to be Eris herself since every iteration of the myth uses the name Eris, with no mention to Enyo at all. So as a rule of thumb, I go with that.

Zeus' plan didn't backfire, where did you get that from?  

Akherontis
Captain

Javier Cross

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:00 am
Akherontis
Javier Cross

Well, it's more likely to be Eris herself since every iteration of the myth uses the name Eris, with no mention to Enyo at all. So as a rule of thumb, I go with that.

It was probably Eris who did it, but Enyo might have helped somehow.

I was referring to how Agamemnon took too long to dying off, and he ended up somehow manipulating the overall basics of the plan, which was a Xanatos Gambit in itself, if not a Roulette.
I don't know how did stuff like that happen, but it did.  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:08 am
Javier Cross
Akherontis
Javier Cross

I was referring to how Agamemnon took too long to dying off, and he ended up somehow manipulating the overall basics of the plan, which was a Xanatos Gambit in itself, if not a Roulette.

Good grief, you're quite a Troper, aren't you? I doubt most members of this guild are familiar with the TVTropes terminology you're using.  

Akherontis
Captain

Javier Cross

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:32 am
Akherontis
Javier Cross
Akherontis
Javier Cross

Good grief, you're quite a Troper, aren't you? I doubt most members of this guild are familiar with the TVTropes terminology you're using.

Sorry about that. sweatdrop
I was trying to point out how Agamemnon manipulated a lot of the plan, himself, and should have died earlier on, before Troy paid for it, but at least History Goddess helped me to consolidate on the fact that Agamemnon is dead now, by admitting he had the worst death imaginable.  
Greek Mythology Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff