Welcome to Gaia! ::

*~Let the Fire Fall ~* A Christian Guild

Back to Guilds

Reply Debate and Discussion
Homosexuality and the Bible (1/5/06) Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Kt-Chi

Dapper Pants

5,550 Points
  • The Committee Staff 25
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:53 pm
Cometh The Inquisitor
Kt-Chi
See, its not really the sex part.
Its having someone to spend your life with.

Homosexual lusts are wrong. That's it. It's simply and purely the sex (and the thoughts and emotions behind the sex) that is condemned by the Bible.

How DARE you say I lust.
I LOVE my gf, or should I say fiancee?
And newsflash. We CAN get married.
MY emotions are love.

Man and woman.
Can be either masculine OR feminine.
Would a masculine man want to marry a masculine woman?
Not likely.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 7:15 pm
Kt-Chi

How DARE you say I lust.

Son, everyone lusts (except for asexuals). It's pretty much a part of life. Besides, where did I say anything about you in that post?
Quote:
I LOVE my gf, or should I say fiancee?
And newsflash. We CAN get married.
MY emotions are love.

Well that's good for you.
Quote:
Man and woman.
Can be either masculine OR feminine.
Would a masculine man want to marry a masculine woman?
Not likely.

I'm not one to judge. People love all types, different or similar.  

ioioouiouiouio

Medanite

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 1:59 pm
My thoughts:

One of My Journal Entries
The Bible consistently tells us that homosexual activity is a sin (Genesis 19:1-13; Leviticus 18:22; Romans 1:26-27; 1 Corinthians 6:9). Romans 1:26-27 teaches specifically that homosexuality is a result of denying and disobeying God. When a person continues in sin and disbelief, the Bible tells us that God “gives them over” to even more wicked and depraved sin in order to show them the futility and hopelessness of life apart from God. 1 Corinthians 6:9 proclaims that homosexual “offenders” will not inherit the kingdom of God.

God does not create a person with homosexual desires. The Bible tells us that a person becomes a homosexual because of sin (Romans 1:24-27), and ultimately because of their own choice. A person may be born with a greater susceptibility to homosexuality, just as people are born with a tendency to violence and other sins. That does not excuse the person choosing to sin by giving into their sinful desires. If a person is born with a greater susceptibility to anger / rage, does that make it right for then to give into those desires? Of course not! The same is true for homosexuality.

However, the Bible does not describe homosexuality as a “greater” sin than any other. All sin is offensive to God. Homosexuality is just one of the many things listed in 1 Corinthians 6:9-10 that will keep a person from the kingdom of God. According to the Bible, God’s forgiveness is just as available to a homosexual as it is to an adulterer, idol worshipper, murderer, thief, etc. God also promises the strength for victory over sin, including homosexuality, to all those who will believe in Jesus Christ for their salvation (1 Corinthians 6:11; 2 Corinthians 5:17).

(Note: I'm not here for debate, I'm just here to put in my 2 cents and leave.)  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 5:07 pm
I know homosexuality is a sin.
It's just that, in a world where homosexuality is being acceptable, it's hard not to have friends who are or aren't.
Anyway, I believe marriage is unacceptable for homosexuals.
In Leviticus 19 or 20, it states that man shall not lie with man as one lies with a woman (or 21?).
This even goes before marriage.
I'm down with homosexual couples, but def...not marriage.
I may be contradicting, but I'm in a sticky situation.  

xgirlxbassistx

Cyberpunk Hero

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 5:33 pm
xgirlxbassistx
In Leviticus 19 or 20, it states that man shall not lie with man as one lies with a woman (or 21?).

Great. Would you PLEASE, for the LOVE OF ALL THINGS GOOD AND DECENT, read at least ONE of the posts in this thread that points out the flaws in your logic?

Just one. For me.  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 10:53 am
I have a question... could one pin homosexuality with incest? It's not supposed to be a joke, but I'm saying morally...  

The Noble Protoman.exe

Kuroi Kokoro no Mendori

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 2:02 pm
The Noble Protoman.exe
I have a question... could one pin homosexuality with incest? It's not supposed to be a joke, but I'm saying morally...

No.

Personally, it's possible. My mother and father are distant cousins. But that doesn't hold true for all gays.  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 11:56 pm
It has gotten to the point when those of you who are anti gay and anti gay marriage and anti gay rights are using the same verses over and over and over again. That proves how few the references are to being anti gay.

You use the same verses in Levitcus or whatever and Corinthians over and over and over and over and over and over again. It seems a fairly weak argument when there are so few references on yhour argument.  

Kio Landera

Metanoeo

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 12:26 pm
Shuici7
It has gotten to the point when those of you who are anti gay and anti gay marriage and anti gay rights are using the same verses over and over and over again. That proves how few the references are to being anti gay.

You use the same verses in Levitcus or whatever and Corinthians over and over and over and over and over and over again. It seems a fairly weak argument when there are so few references on yhour argument.

What are you asking for? 20 verses condemning homosexuality? Isn't 3 enough? rolleyes  
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 6:58 pm
Reformed Baptist
Shuici7

What are you asking for? 20 verses condemning homosexuality? Isn't 3 enough? rolleyes

Or zero, depending how you roll.

But, yeah, the Bible doesn't really need to mention a rule more than once for it to be valid. That would be quite silly.  

Cyberpunk Hero

biggestidiotintheworld

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 3:15 am
Although I personally have no problem with homosexuality, it is pretty difficult for me to deny that the Bible pretty clearly states it's wrong. Although I have read Ananel's thesis on the linguistic implications of Paul's passage, I've read other works that also analyze the passage, and the linguistics of the passage, and come to the opposite conclusion.

It seems that I can't believe anything I read anymore, because people will always come up with something to contradict it. It's a royal pain to those of us who really are searching for "the truth."

Honestly, I've tried to read both sides of the debate, but the thought of gays burning in hell makes me feel so depressed, it's all very difficult for me to think about without going insane.  
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 12:04 pm
biggestidiotintheworld
Although I personally have no problem with homosexuality, it is pretty difficult for me to deny that the Bible pretty clearly states it's wrong.

Prove, with reference to original language and context.

Quote:
Although I have read Ananel's thesis on the linguistic implications of Paul's passage, I've read other works that also analyze the passage, and the linguistics of the passage, and come to the opposite conclusion.

Quote them so I can read them and refute them.

Quote:
It seems that I can't believe anything I read anymore, because people will always come up with something to contradict it. It's a royal pain to those of us who really are searching for "the truth."

It is. Strange though, that we all come to different conclusions as to the "truth".

Quote:
Honestly, I've tried to read both sides of the debate, but the thought of gays burning in hell makes me feel so depressed, it's all very difficult for me to think about without going insane.

I don't believe in a hell, so I'm fine. Other than that, try thinking we won't burn in hell for a change?  

Kuroi Kokoro no Mendori

biggestidiotintheworld

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 6:52 pm
Kuroi Kokoro no Mendori
Prove, with reference to original language and context.

Look, I'm not saying I can prove it. I'm saying the implications against homosexuality are strong. If they weren't, the majority of Christians wouldn't think it was wrong.

I know some people have taken the passage in Romans as an actual case of condoning homosexuality, because Paul is merely saying that we should not give up our "natural" inclination. But this is a serious misinterpretation of Paul's words. Paul's condemning sinful acts in general, and is only using homosexuality as an example. It doesn't seem he would have used this passage to say homosexuality is okay.

Unfortunately, I know very little about Greek, but I will try to dig up some other sources I have found. Trust me, I'm on your side, and I would love for you to prove me wrong. I fully admit I'm the world's worst debater and I fear I won't even be able to give you a satisfactory experience.

I don't think gays are going to hell anymore than I think I'm going to hell. Unfortunately, I'm a worrier, and when I worry that I'm going to hell, I worry about gays--and the rest of the world--right along with it.  
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 7:08 pm
biggestidiotintheworld
Look, I'm not saying I can prove it. I'm saying the implications against homosexuality are strong. If they weren't, the majority of Christians wouldn't think it was wrong.

Or not. The "majority of Christians" are unlikely to have studied the issue in any sort of depth.

biggestidiotintheworld
I know some people have taken the passage in Romans as an actual case of condoning homosexuality, because Paul is merely saying that we should not give up our "natural" inclination. But this is a serious misinterpretation of Paul's words. Paul's condemning sinful acts in general, and is only using homosexuality as an example. It doesn't seem he would have used this passage to say homosexuality is okay.

That's wrong in a couple ways.

First, the passage does not condone homosexuality. It does not condemn homosexuality. The issue is not the former, it's the latter.

Second, Paul does not use homosexuality as an example. He refers to certain acts as being immoral, and he refers to men having sex with one another, but he does not say that the act of men having sex with one another is an immoral act.  

Cyberpunk Hero

Debate and Discussion

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces