Welcome to Gaia! ::

Anime Conventions: The Global Connection

Back to Guilds

A guild dedicated to sharing/discussing conventions, cosplay, anime, and manga from across the world 

Tags: Convention, Cosplay, Anime, Crossplay, Manga 

Reply Convention Forum
Raising money, cutting expenses, etc. Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

OhNoesItsMiho

Unbeatable Lover

9,150 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 9:51 pm
these all sound good. I put in so many job applications and no one has called me back. I doubt my family members will pay me to babysit so I'll just go with saving up cans. This is SO helpful. I was stressing out about food and con money  
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 10:21 pm
I consider myself very lucky, because the last few years I worked at a Jo Ann Fabric's. Besides the obvious discount, you also get to see the fabric when it comes in, and you can usually hold it until you get paid.  

Sugar Pucks

Indulgent Demigod

11,400 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Money Never Sleeps 200

hirochan28

5,700 Points
  • Member 100
  • Contributor 150
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 6:06 pm
Thanks again, guys. I decided that I'm just gonna put off this convention until next year, when I have more time and money to get ready for it. sweatdrop I'm planning on getting a job over the summer and keeping it through the school year to earn extra cash. I'm also gonna go with the garage sale idea, cause I have a bunch of crap in my closet that I'm willing to get rid of. The bottles and cans idea sounds good; I'll have to make sure they don't get recycled next time 3nodding

@ OhNoesItsMiho: I've also put in several applications and not gotten calls back. However, I've heard that if call the places that you applied often and ask about your application, then they're more likely to hire you.  
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 2:27 am
I suggest craigslist. Look in the "gigs" section for one day to a weeks worth of work. Most of it is just digging holes, planting crap, and cleaning out old apartments. You won't make a ton of money, but it'll be enough to get you started.

Try and plan out exactly how much you will need and fraction it all down to what each person needs to make to come along. This is a good way to convince parents to give you odd jobs to do in exchange for the money. A chaperon is a little more difficult however, and you'll probably need to case each one of your parents and see who is least likely to be a problem. After you decide that, it's just a matter of convincing them. If your really persuasive, maybe you can get a grandparent or uncle to take you, but I doubt anyone will allow you to go any long distance away without someone who's either had kids, or is a really close member of the family. It's an unfortunate fact.

Waiting does seem to be your best option. I ended up waiting until I was 18 simply because I didn't want my parents tagging along, as willing as they were to chaperon.

Oh, if you live on the east coast and need transport for cheap, check out mega bus. You can only have one bag per person, but the ticket is only $1 almost anywhere on the east coast, and it's like riding a normal bus, only for several hours.

nadaniasang

Hypocritical Persecution

7,150 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Flatterer 200
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 1:33 pm
Yard sales are awesome for getting rid of unwanted things, as well as selling homemade props and what not. Mowing lawns is a classic, and gardening too. Shoveling walks and laying down salt during the winter. Cleanings services, especially during the summer pay nice. Nobody really wants to clean when it sweltering.

This summer when we have a yard sale I'm hoping to make some cool things to sell.....

I'm making my brother a Chansey piggybank, and it's turning out pretty good.

And craigslist is awesome. I'm looking into being a part time nanny....Oh, I wonder how old you have to be...  
PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 9:38 pm
OhNoesItsMiho
these all sound good. I put in so many job applications and no one has called me back. I doubt my family members will pay me to babysit so I'll just go with saving up cans. This is SO helpful. I was stressing out about food and con money

How much are cans? 5 cent each?  

LovelyLadyAurora

LovelyLadyAurora

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:01 pm
I say save your extra change! Pennies, nickels, dimes - they do make a difference! I collected all my change and my Mom's and I ended up with $30.50! That was gas money right there.  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:42 pm
LovelyLadyAurora
OhNoesItsMiho

How much are cans? 5 cent each?

From my experience, they pay by weight not by individual can.  

ll dell Orso ll

Tipsy Gawker

ll dell Orso ll

Tipsy Gawker

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:50 pm
Hypocritical Persecution
Yard sales are awesome for getting rid of unwanted things, as well as selling homemade props and what not. Mowing lawns is a classic, and gardening too. Shoveling walks and laying down salt during the winter. Cleanings services, especially during the summer pay nice. Nobody really wants to clean when it sweltering.

This summer when we have a yard sale I'm hoping to make some cool things to sell.....

I'm making my brother a Chansey piggybank, and it's turning out pretty good.

And craigslist is awesome. I'm looking into being a part time nanny....Oh, I wonder how old you have to be...

For taking care of children... it depends on the state. In my state for example, you have to be at least 16 to be left alone with children.
I found this out when my mum's friend got reported for paying two eleven-year-olds to take care of her 5-year-old and 8-month-old.  
Convention Forum

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff