Welcome to Gaia! ::

Greek Mythology Guild

Back to Guilds

A guild for lovers of Greek Mythology in all its rich variety. 

Tags: Greek, Greece, Classical, Mythology, Myth 

Reply Greek Mythology Guild
Things they tell you at University! Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

would you take classics at university?
  yes! its my dream come true!!!
  maybe as an interst paper...
  nope... university is still a place of learning (aka school)
View Results

Akherontis
Captain

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 9:30 pm
One could labour under the assumption that Dione was another name for Thalassa, goddess of the sea. But that would still not refute Zeus' parentage. So the Hesiodic and Homeric stories will always remain inconsistent. Frankly, I prefer to read it all and make an informed decision, as even in their time period, they did not have access to every version of every myth. We have a much broader range to choose from. However sadly, not every myth has survived the gap between their time and ours.

An example is Hesiod's Theogony, in which he lists the Moirai and Moros as the children of Night. Homer also makes the Moirai children of Zeus and Themis, though this is contradicted elsewhere by stressing the primacy of the Fates even over Zeus himself. In my opinion, this was a mistake both poets made.

Hesiod's mistake rose from the confusion between the figures of Nyx (Night) and Ananke (Necessity), who both share the epithets Astraia (Starry) and Adrasteia (Inflexible). And Homer, like he had done with Aphrodite, was attempting to syncretise earlier mythic figures into his patriarchal Olympian scheme.

Orphic and other myths offer a slightly more in depth version of Theogony. Ananke and Khronos were the first gods to emerge from Khaos, coiling about the cosmic egg and constricting it until it split into the constituent parts of Gaia (Earth), Pontos/Thalassa (Sea), Ouranos (Heaven) and Tartaros (Hell). From the cosmic egg itself was hatched primordial Eros or Himeros, called Phanes by the Orphics, the primal force of procreation, who caused the first gods to couple and produce the next generation of Daimones and Titanes. Ananke and Khronos' offspring were the three Moirai. Having the Fates as daughters of Time and Destiny, or Eternity and Neccessity, makes a lot more sense in my opinion than having them as daughters of Nyx or of Zeus and Themis.

Of course, that leaves the question as to who came first, Khronos and Ananke, or Eros/Phanes? Chicken or egg?  
PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 12:56 pm
history goddess
AphroditeTheLoveGoddess
Aphrodite Philopannyx
Lovely Aphrodite Babe
Aphrodite, goddess of love, desire and anything sexual or pleasures I should say. Legend says she came out of a conch shell naked. She is very beautiful and deceitful too.

It was a scallop shell... thats why scallops are rumored aphrodisiacs... wink

Yes, you are correct, dear, but not every person thinks of Aphrodite to be born out of a shell. Some think that she was born to Zeus and the Titaness Dione. I know it's not true, sweetie, but every person deserves to be acknowledged. If you're the goddess of love, you have to know that.

It really depends on if you follow Hesiod or Homer... Homer gave us the Dione myth, but very little is actually known about her, while Hesiod gave us the lovely and very vivid image of castration... but hesiod may have just been using that as a word play on Aphrodites name...

They also say the Hesiod version emerged becuase of my large following in Cyprus and Kythera.
( rolleyes but yes it's acknowledged on my profile...)  

Lenimph

Javier Cross

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:13 pm
Aphrodite Philopannyx
history goddess
AphroditeTheLoveGoddess
Aphrodite Philopannyx
Lovely Aphrodite Babe
Aphrodite, goddess of love, desire and anything sexual or pleasures I should say. Legend says she came out of a conch shell naked. She is very beautiful and deceitful too.

It was a scallop shell... thats why scallops are rumored aphrodisiacs... wink

Yes, you are correct, dear, but not every person thinks of Aphrodite to be born out of a shell. Some think that she was born to Zeus and the Titaness Dione. I know it's not true, sweetie, but every person deserves to be acknowledged. If you're the goddess of love, you have to know that.

It really depends on if you follow Hesiod or Homer... Homer gave us the Dione myth, but very little is actually known about her, while Hesiod gave us the lovely and very vivid image of castration... but hesiod may have just been using that as a word play on Aphrodites name...

They also say the Hesiod version emerged becuase of my large following in Cyprus and Kythera.
( rolleyes but yes it's acknowledged on my profile...)

Alright, History Goddess, but i feel its best to stick with the one in which Aphrodite came from Uranus' groin, unless we're turning to Plato, in which both versions could or could not be canon.

There are two of you on there, Aphrodite? eek
Did Plato speak truth that was well-dated at the time, before now?  
Greek Mythology Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff