Welcome to Gaia! ::

Reply ::Gamer Chicks::
Pay to Play or just a hustle? (GameCrush)

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Lila Malvae

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:48 am
Okay, so I'm writing this article about Game Crush, a site that offers a pay-to-play service marketing as a way for heterosexual male gamers to "spice up their gaming life". I'd still have to do more research, but from what I can tell, it's not a dating service, but an adult entertainment service (basically the equivalent to a phone sex service).
So far, the only people who do the "servicing" are "hot girls", who happen to play video games and flirt or do "whatever" on webcam during a live chat and web-based game, or you can skip the webcam and just duke it out on X360. "PlayDates" as the girls are called, are rated by "hotness, gamer skill, flirtiness, and dirtiness", and can set their "gaming mood" to flirty or dirty (whatever that's supposed to mean, but it's enough to get what they're implying).
I personally don't like it. The company tries to make themselves off as the gaming equivalent of the Hooters chain of restaurants, but downplays the flirting necessary to become a successful PlayDate (although it says the girls aren't coached and there's no vetting process, so it's presumed the action isn't necessary for job placement). They try to appeal to female gamers by claiming the job is basically "getting paid to play games", but that's clearly not all the job entails.

I'd like to have some serious input on what other girl gamers think of this site and this type of service.
On the one hand, if I seriously NEEDED to make the money (i.e. drug money, law/med school, single mom, family has a serious illness and no medical care), I would consider being a PlayDate before being a Hooters girl or a stripper, because at least there's no physical contact and it's presumed that I could choose what to do/not to do (and PlayDates can block clients for any reason). But on the other hand, it is NOT just "get paid to play games" because clearly they are marketing the sex factor. If I just wanted to get paid to play games, I would seek a job as a beta tester at a gaming company/gaming media network, or I'd enter cash-based tournies-- anything that didn't want me to show off more than just my wits.
After all measures were exhausted, then I might consider delving into questionable whoredom.
Another pro for being a PlayDate would be the relative exposure (fame) they'd offer. If I had a budding career or wanted to project that kind of image to my career (or just hungry for fame), this would be a decent way of doing things.
I also might consider it if I was single and looking for a gamer guy, or if I was bisexual (presuming I'd be into that stuff, and I'm not). But if a strip club/Hooters isn't a good way to find a decent guy, then this site probably wouldn't have much to offer me.

So, thoughts?  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:26 pm
I know this is an old post but I still think it's laughable and pathetic. I haven't heard much about it though so maybe/hopefully it wasn't very successful.  

ms j-ren

TxZombehCat

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:19 pm
I'm almost tempted to 'sign up' just to see what they tell me to do.  
::Gamer Chicks::

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games