Welcome to Gaia! ::

Greek Mythology Guild

Back to Guilds

A guild for lovers of Greek Mythology in all its rich variety. 

Tags: Greek, Greece, Classical, Mythology, Myth 

Reply Greek Mythology Guild
Unsung Heroes and Forgotten Gods Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Bittersweet Cantarella

6,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Wall Street 200
PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:45 pm
Dark-Hunteress Sage
Akherontis
Askalaphos. Which literally means 'screech owl'. But technically speaking, he's a daimon.

Question isnt a daimon someone who eats the soals of humans? I read that somewhere but i cant actully be sure it thats true or just made up belony.

I also read somewhere that there is a goddess of memory but i cant find her any where and im trying to do resurch on her. Is she a real goddess or not?

I believe her name's Mnemosyne. She's also the mother of the Muses. The term 'mnemonic device', or memory device, came from her name.  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:02 pm
Bittersweet Cantarella
Dark-Hunteress Sage
Akherontis
Askalaphos. Which literally means 'screech owl'. But technically speaking, he's a daimon.

Question isnt a daimon someone who eats the soals of humans? I read that somewhere but i cant actully be sure it thats true or just made up belony.

I also read somewhere that there is a goddess of memory but i cant find her any where and im trying to do resurch on her. Is she a real goddess or not?

I believe her name's Mnemosyne. She's also the mother of the Muses. The term 'mnemonic device', or memory device, came from her name.

You are correct about Mnemosyne. She is one of the six Titanides, the daughters of Gaia and Ouranos, and with Zeus she mothered the nine Mousai.

Um...no, Daimones don't eat souls. A daimon (or feminine daimona) is simply the term for an intermediate spirit between gods and man. Minor divinities who personify certain forces, like Eris (Strife) and Gelos (Laughter) are daimones, as are the ghosts of heroes and famous ancestors like Perseus and Triptolemos.

The races of humanity which preceded ours (the Golden and Silver races) are also classes of daimon. The Daimones Khryseoi live in the upper airs, and look over the modern race of man sort of like guardian angels. The Daimones Argyrei live beneath the earth and are connected with agriculture.

The word daimon means 'replete with secret knowledge' and the Latinized form of the word is genius, which is where we get the word genie from as an anglicized form of the Arabic 'djinni'.

Nowadays, we use the word 'daemon' or 'demon' in its Christian context, referring to evil spirits, but the Classical usage of the word had no moral connotations whatsoever. There were just as many 'good' daimones (Eudaimones) as there were evil ones (Kakodaimones). We still use the word 'Eudaimonia' as a byword for joy and bliss.  

Akherontis
Captain

Dark-Hunteress Sage

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:38 pm
Thanks for the clareification. Great now im woundering if Artemis even had Hunters.  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:58 pm
Dark-Hunteress Sage
Thanks for the clareification. Great now im woundering if Artemis even had Hunters.

Hunters? I know she had a lot of nymphs for companions.  

Bittersweet Cantarella

6,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Wall Street 200

Akherontis
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:58 am
Dark-Hunteress Sage

Hahaha, something tells me you might be a fan of the teen-fiction Dark Hunter series. I'm just going to pull off the band-aid quickly and let you know that most works of contemporary fiction tend not to be an accurate portrayal of Classical myths and legends.

But, to answer your question; yes, Artemis did have a retinue of huntresses. There were sixty Okeanides among her followers, and thirty Naiades (daughters of the Kretan river-god Amninos), and a myriad of other Nymphai. Also a number of mortal girls who Artemis handpicked as her favourites.

She also used to hunt with the virgin goddess Aura, until Aura offended Artemis by claiming that her body was too womanly, and Artemis had Aura raped by Dionysos, driving her mad.  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:50 am
Yes I am a fan of th Dark-Hunter series and it is no way ment for teens. But thanks.  

Dark-Hunteress Sage

Bittersweet Cantarella

6,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Wall Street 200
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:52 am
Akherontis
Dark-Hunteress Sage

Hahaha, something tells me you might be a fan of the teen-fiction Dark Hunter series. I'm just going to pull off the band-aid quickly and let you know that most works of contemporary fiction tend not to be an accurate portrayal of Classical myths and legends.

But, to answer your question; yes, Artemis did have a retinue of huntresses. There were sixty Okeanides among her followers, and thirty Naiades (daughters of the Kretan river-god Amninos), and a myriad of other Nymphai. Also a number of mortal girls who Artemis handpicked as her favourites.

She also used to hunt with the virgin goddess Aura, until Aura offended Artemis by claiming that her body was too womanly, and Artemis had Aura raped by Dionysos, driving her mad.

I had a feeling she was referring to that series! Interesting idea, but yeah, I'd have to agree that it's fiction.

And, considering the details and themes in those books, I wouldn't exactly call it "teen-fiction" >.>  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2022 11:40 pm
That I can accept, but when I hear the words Genoese army, I immediately think of mercenaries. For instance, during the 100 Years War, the French used them extensively. As you can read...  

daniel879

Greek Mythology Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces