Welcome to Gaia! ::

Greek Mythology Guild

Back to Guilds

A guild for lovers of Greek Mythology in all its rich variety. 

Tags: Greek, Greece, Classical, Mythology, Myth 

Reply Greek Mythology Guild
Apollon and Artemis - Sun and Moon? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Akherontis
Captain

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 11:51 pm
Qyp
Akherontis
Qyp
Akherontis
Qyp
Heh, I am enlightened.

That's what the guild is here for. It saddens me sometimes when Apollon and Artemis get all the credit, while Helios and Selene are marginalized. The Archaic Greeks were entirely consistent in their belief that Helios drew the sun through the sky and Selene the moon. Even the later Hellenistic Greeks still attributed those functions to Helios and Selene, although by then Apollon and Artemis had acquired certain minor solar/lunar associations. The Romans still considered Sol and Luna to the the primary gods of the celestial lights, although some of Selene's myth was transferred to Diana rather than Luna.

Jupiter, Juno and Minerva? Now they are just a fusion of the old Tinia, Uni and Merva of the Etruscan mythology from Italy, and the Greek Mythology stories during Roman Empire times, I presume.

Stories and names get mixed up so easily when there is similarities in the characters of those stories...

In a sense, you are correct. But Jupiter ultimately derives from the proto-Indo-European Dyeus Pater. The same can be said for Zeus (whose genitive is Dios), and the Vedic deity Dyaus Pitar, and the Etruscan Tinia. You are definitely accurate in stating that the Romans did not just adopt and mutate the Greek Gods. The Etruscans were also great influences, as were Persian deities like Mithras. One must also account for the Di Indigetes of the Italians themselves. Janus is a very interesting case. He may be a szygy of Apollo and Diana (via the spelling Iana).

The world is made from Chinese whispers...

Actually, the world is composed mostly of iron (32.1%), oxygen (30.1%), silicon (15.1%), magnesium (13.9%), sulfur (2.9%), nickel (1.8%), calcium (1.5%), and aluminium (1.4%); with the remaining 1.2% consisting of trace amounts of other elements.  
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 12:11 am
Akherontis
Qyp
Akherontis
Qyp
Akherontis
Qyp
Heh, I am enlightened.

That's what the guild is here for. It saddens me sometimes when Apollon and Artemis get all the credit, while Helios and Selene are marginalized. The Archaic Greeks were entirely consistent in their belief that Helios drew the sun through the sky and Selene the moon. Even the later Hellenistic Greeks still attributed those functions to Helios and Selene, although by then Apollon and Artemis had acquired certain minor solar/lunar associations. The Romans still considered Sol and Luna to the the primary gods of the celestial lights, although some of Selene's myth was transferred to Diana rather than Luna.

Jupiter, Juno and Minerva? Now they are just a fusion of the old Tinia, Uni and Merva of the Etruscan mythology from Italy, and the Greek Mythology stories during Roman Empire times, I presume.

Stories and names get mixed up so easily when there is similarities in the characters of those stories...

In a sense, you are correct. But Jupiter ultimately derives from the proto-Indo-European Dyeus Pater. The same can be said for Zeus (whose genitive is Dios), and the Vedic deity Dyaus Pitar, and the Etruscan Tinia. You are definitely accurate in stating that the Romans did not just adopt and mutate the Greek Gods. The Etruscans were also great influences, as were Persian deities like Mithras. One must also account for the Di Indigetes of the Italians themselves. Janus is a very interesting case. He may be a szygy of Apollo and Diana (via the spelling Iana).

The world is made from Chinese whispers...

Actually, the world is composed mostly of iron (32.1%), oxygen (30.1%), silicon (15.1%), magnesium (13.9%), sulfur (2.9%), nickel (1.8%), calcium (1.5%), and aluminium (1.4%); with the remaining 1.2% consisting of trace amounts of other elements.

Okay, I have been obliterated.  

Qyp

Manly Lunatic

Akherontis
Captain

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 12:15 am
Qyp

User Image

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 12:22 am
Akherontis
Qyp

User Image

Being a zombie, I recognize your brain to be a delicacy.  

Qyp

Manly Lunatic

Akherontis
Captain

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 12:28 am
Qyp
Akherontis
Qyp

User Image

I shall deflect your ravenous appetite with logic. Zombies come from Vodun folklore and are entirely harmless, in earlier folktales they were not even reanimated corpses, but simply people under the mental control of a Bokur (Sorcerer). The proper appellation for an undead creature who dines on human flesh is 'Ghoul'. And even then, the Arabic Ghul were not revenants, but ogre-like demons who dwelled in the desert. George Romero himself, who created the modern Zombie apocalypse genre, hated the term Zombie as he knew of its inappropriateness.  
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 12:41 am
Akherontis
Qyp
Akherontis
Qyp

User Image

I shall deflect your ravenous appetite with logic. Zombies come from Vodun folklore and are entirely harmless, in earlier folktales they were not even reanimated corpses, but simply people under the mental control of a Bokur (Sorcerer). The proper appellation for an undead creature who dines on human flesh is 'Ghoul'. And even then, the Arabic Ghul were not revenants, but ogre-like demons who dwelled in the desert. George Romero himself, who created the modern Zombie apocalypse genre, hated the term Zombie as he knew of its inappropriateness.

Yeah, as I said before, folklore, mythology, etc... it's all Chinese whispers...  

Qyp

Manly Lunatic

Akherontis
Captain

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 12:50 am
Qyp

Yeah, as I said before, folklore, mythology, etc... it's all Chinese whispers...

That's a very glib interpretation. Religion and superstition mean a little more than that. They are man's first, flawed attempt at science. They are an attempt to understand the world around us, by ascribing supernatural explanations for natural phenomena.

Folklore, by contrast, is a little more like Chinese whispers than mythology. There is a difference, although the two branches of superstition do overlap.  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:58 pm
I seem to recall, that whilst reading a copy of E M Berens' 'Myths and Legends of Ancient Greece and Rome' that it was theorised that of the five different forms of Artemis (Arcadian, Ephesian, Brauronian (Taurikan) and also as Selene-Artemis), it was postulated by Berens that the Ephesian Artemis probably inspired the lunar image,

"The Ephesian Artemis, known to us as "Diana of the Ephesians," was a very ancient Asiatic divinity of Persian origin called Metra, whose worship the Greek colonists found already established, when they first settled in Asia Minor, and whom they identified with their own Greek Artemis, though she really possessed but one single attribute in common with their home deity.

Metra was a twofold divinity, and represented, in one phase of her character, all-pervading love; in the other she was the light of heaven; and as Artemis, in her character as Selene, was the only Greek female divinity who represented celestial light, the Greek settlers, according to their custom of fusing foreign deities into their own, seized at once upon this point of resemblance, and decided that Metra should henceforth be regarded as identical with Artemis.
"

Elteach

Distinct Hellraiser

Javier Cross

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 6:03 am
I wonder if there are any gods of Irony, if i may ask, professor Death-and-Sleep?(that's technically what the name means in ancient greek!) sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:26 pm
Javier Cross
I wonder if there are any gods of Irony, if i may ask, professor Death-and-Sleep?(that's technically what the name means in ancient greek!) sweatdrop

No, there aren't any gods specifically of Irony. Irony is an element of dramatic theatre.

My user name in Ancient Greek is the genitive form of Akheron, meaning 'Woeful'.  

Akherontis
Captain

Qyp

Manly Lunatic

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:22 am
Akherontis
Javier Cross

No, there aren't any gods specifically of Irony. Irony is an element of dramatic theatre.

My user name in Ancient Greek is the genitive form of Akheron, meaning 'Woeful'.

I guess the closest god would be... Dionysus?  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:23 am
Qyp
Akherontis
Javier Cross

Possibly. Or, if irony is used in a Socratic sense to position a debating opponent into the trap of making a logical paradox, thus debunking his point - then the god in question would be Momos.  

Akherontis
Captain

Qyp

Manly Lunatic

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:30 am
Akherontis
Qyp
Akherontis
Javier Cross

Possibly. Or, if irony is used in a Socratic sense to position a debating opponent into the trap of making a logical paradox, thus debunking his point - then the god in question would be Momos.

Well, on his wiki... lol... it linked to Satire...

"A common feature of satire is strong irony or sarcasm—"in satire, irony is militant"—but parody, burlesque, exaggeration, juxtaposition, comparison, analogy, and double entendre are all frequently used in satirical speech and writing. This "militant" irony or sarcasm often professes to approve (or at least accept as natural) the very things the satirist wishes to attack."

So I guess Momos is the god of Sarcasm and Irony too...

Though, Dionysus is comedic irony/sarcasm...  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:33 am
Try here: Momos/Momus. He's one of the children of Nyx, and yes, the god of satire, mockery, blame, criticism and censure. One of my personal favourites.

User Image

Akherontis
Captain

Javier Cross

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:35 pm
Qyp
Akherontis
Qyp
Akherontis
Javier Cross

Well, on his wiki... lol... it linked to Satire...

"A common feature of satire is strong irony or sarcasm—"in satire, irony is militant"—but parody, burlesque, exaggeration, juxtaposition, comparison, analogy, and double entendre are all frequently used in satirical speech and writing. This "militant" irony or sarcasm often professes to approve (or at least accept as natural) the very things the satirist wishes to attack."

So I guess Momos is the god of Sarcasm and Irony too...

Though, Dionysus is comedic irony/sarcasm...

It could mean they share the same kind of position in this regard. sweatdrop

Also, thanks, professor.  
Greek Mythology Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas